Unpopular Comic Book Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watchmen is one of the most beloved GN of all time so no i dont think it is very popular

I like Cyclops with Emma Frost more than Cyclops with Jean Grey.

I hate that Archangel from the X-Men has his metal wings back.

My least favorite version of the Hulk is the classic green "Hulk Smash" version. Can't stand him.

The Death of Superman was one crappy, crappy, sad little excuse for a story.

I never saw the appeal in Spawn, not even back in the 90's when everyone loved him.

I think the Virgin Comics line was excellent, and didn't need to die the way it did.

I like Cyclops with Emma Frost more than Cyclops with Jean Grey.

I hate that Archangel from the X-Men has his metal wings back.

My least favorite version of the Hulk is the classic green "Hulk Smash" version. Can't stand him.

The Death of Superman was one crappy, crappy, sad little excuse for a story.

I never saw the appeal in Spawn, not even back in the 90's when everyone loved him.

I think the Virgin Comics line was excellent, and didn't need to die the way it did.

Actually, I think those are some standard views.

It seems a lot of people prefer the older Angel, I think now everyone has grown away from dumb Hulk (lord knows I have), The Death of Superman was crap, and Spawn...hmmm...maybe that is an unpopular opinion. Now that I think of it I know just as many people who thought Spawn in the 90's was hot **** and those who thought Spawn was a big part of what was wrong with comics in the 90s.

Actually, I think those are some standard views.

It seems a lot of people prefer the older Angel, I think now everyone has grown away from dumb Hulk (lord knows I have), The Death of Superman was crap, and Spawn...hmmm...maybe that is an unpopular opinion. Now that I think of it I know just as many people who thought Spawn in the 90's was hot **** and those who thought Spawn was a big part of what was wrong with comics in the 90s.

I felt like I was the only person upset when it was revealed that Archangel got the metal wings back. I know that most people have a problem with the fact that he's got murderous tendencies now, but I'm upset because I don't see the need in Archangel having an offensive power, specifically getting that offensive power set back.

Here's my unpopular comic book opinion. People need to stop acting like they're somehow different for not liking Watchmen or TDKR. EVERYONE says the same exact things about both of them (overrated, crap, childish, stupid, etc)... you'd think that people would eventually notice that their 'unpopular' opinion is actually very popular and shared with many people.

All I ever hear is how great they are, so I took my opinion as the minority.

All I ever hear is how great they are, so I took my opinion as the minority.
Same here. You always hear about all the awards Watchmen won, and how it makes all these "Greatest Graphic Novels of All Time" lists. Whenever someone asks for suggestions for comics to read, Watchmen is often brought up. It's considered a prize among comics, and Alan Moore is a sacred cow who can do no wrong.

Then when a handful of people call Watchmen overrated, the classic "Everyone says it's overrated" response crops up.

Then when a handful of people call Watchmen overrated, the classic "Everyone says it's overrated" response crops up.
:whatever:

Yes. I am such a Watchmen fanatic that I must attack everyone that dare speak ill of it. Or I just noticed that everyone DOES say it is.

Off the top of my head I would say

1: I'm not a big fan of Frank Miller, I don't hate him but I only really like Year One.

2. I have never liked Daredevil, and I have given him chances.

3. I agree that I think Alex ross is overrated. Not everything but a lot of what he does I can shrug off. My fav. pieces by him are the ones that he painted of other peoples artwork.

and the big one would be I have read the first 2 Sandman books and I really don't get the hype. It's not bad or anything I just don't get the "must read" hype

Last edited:
:whatever:

Yes. I am such a Watchmen fanatic that I must attack everyone that dare speak ill of it. Or I just noticed that everyone DOES say it is.
I'm not saying you're some fanatic. I'm just saying that we're calling the most highly praised graphic novel of all time overrated.

Popular or Unpopular I never Liked The Dark Knight Retuns.It didn't feel like a Batman story to me and Batman just seemed out of character in it to me.I haven't read it in a long time but that's how i felt at the time.I much prefer The Long Halloween.

- I don't like Bruce Wayne/Batman. I like Tim, Dick, Alfred, Gordon, the Joker, Barbara, and a lot of other Bat-characters, and I like watching Batman interact with other characters, but as a standalone character, Bruce Wayne strikes me as flat, boring and uninteresting.

I don't know how others feel, but I want to see more stories featuring Clark Kent getting his journalism on.

- I don't like Bruce Wayne/Batman. I like Tim, Dick, Alfred, Gordon, the Joker, Barbara, and a lot of other Bat-characters, and I like watching Batman interact with other characters, but as a standalone character, Bruce Wayne strikes me as flat, boring and uninteresting.

Agreed. For such a major character, he is awfully static. Peter Parker, Clark Kent and others have evolved as characters. Bruce focuses on one thing: the mission. Yeah thats cool but it keeps him in one place forever.

Are you saying that Clark Kent is more interesting than Bruce Wayne? That seems completely backwards.

Clark is often shown as a fully-developed person. Bruce is often shown as a two-dimensional parody of the character he could be.

Are you saying that Clark Kent is more interesting than Bruce Wayne? That seems completely backwards.
You'd think that, but Clark Kent is actually written like a real person.

You'd think that, but Clark Kent is actually written like a real person.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Please clarify, I feel like I'm in Bizarro World. :csad:

Oh, and I also didnt like The Dark Knight Returns. I found the story overdone and the art to be ass ugly. The parts that make people go "Oh, Miller turned Batman into such a badass!" make me roll my eyes. It just seems like such a 14 year old boy kind of book. I dont mean to be down on DC as I do love a lot of their characters.
Actually TDKR is my favorite Batman simply because of it's grand epic scope of the story, many writers have tried to copy it's style some have failed and others succeed.

Maybe TDKR gets a bad rap is because so many copycat writers have tried their take on the dark gritty violent superhero, remember all those dark gritty violent heroes of the 90's?

And now it's a shame that Miller has been producing basically parodies of his Batman in All Star B&R.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Please clarify, I feel like I'm in Bizarro World. :csad:
That wasn't sarcasm. I find Batman more interesting than Superman in terms of how they operate as superheroes, but I find Clark more interesting than Bruce in terms of how they behave as people.

Popular or Unpopular I never Liked The Dark Knight Retuns.It didn't feel like a Batman story to me and Batman just seemed out of character in it to me.I haven't read it in a long time but that's how i felt at the time.I much prefer The Long Halloween.

But isn't that the point of an Elseworld? That it's a different take on the popular character. I mean TLH is canon but Loeb wrote Batman as a god damn moron in it, but yeah i just wanted to point out Batman is different since... Thats the whole point of elseworlds.

Captain America: Reborn was one of the most fustratingly stupid comics I've ever known of. The Red Skull, the man who has been fighting Steve for 80 years decides to not only not kill him properly but also to try to bring him back!!

And then he turns on him! Big suprise!

-Speaking of which, I would probably say his best work would be a toss up between his Swamp Thing run and his Promethea series. Those are so rich and beautifully done, in different ways of course, but they just bleed of fine craftsmanship.
I read a swamp thing issue with the JLA and how he descibes reminded me why he is one of the best comic writers of all time.
[A];17995875 said:
Super-heroes should kill more :o
I agree. There comes a point where a supervillain has killed so many people and escaped prison so many time that the not killing rule becomes ridiculous. You don't give dangerous mass murderers multiple oppertunities to kill more people.

2. I have never liked Daredevil, and I have given him chances.

Me too. I've tried and tried but I just can't get into Daredevil.

Anyway heres mine

1. I prefer the B-list and spin off X-characters more than the old 60s and 70s ones. Would rather read about New Mutants, Generation X, X-Factor, Alpha Flight characters than Iceman, Beast, Angel, Colossus, Kitty Pryde and so on. Cyclops and Xaiver are ok though.

2. I though Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Kyle & Yosts New X-Man Academy sucked. In the case of New X-Men I hated Quitely's ugly art, too many new characters introduced at once and just didn't like the storylines.

In the case of X-Men academy having read Defilippis and Weirs low-key New Mutants and then go into Kyle & Yosts bloodbath Academy where they killed off a bunch of the chracters made me dislike and drop the book.

3. Daken is better than X-23. Thats right. I love a villain that enjoys being a bloody villain. I like that Daken loves messing with people and not just other super power types but regular joes as well. Its partly why I like lex Luthor as well. X-23 I find boring.

4. I find it hard to like Superman. The character is so powerful but half the time when you read his book his having a fist fight with some supervillain which he should be able to beat with one punch in about 2 seconds.

Its like comic writers forget he has other superpowers.

All those new X-Men that have surfaced in recent years are crap. They would be NOTHING if they didn't come under the X-Men brand. All these Boom Boom's, Magma's, Pixies, Rockslides etc.... meh.

Deadpool has grown into a much deeper, complex, unique and entertaining character than Deathstroke EVER was. I still like Slade though.

Hulk annoys me. The only Hulks I've ever liked are Professor and Fixit.

I too agree that Alex Ross' art isn't all that. He's great for covers and posters, but his art looks too posed and static for interiors.

Anti-Venom is 10000x the character that Venom was, is or ever will be.

Carnage COULD be a decent character if written well. I'd like to see a character study of Kasady to see why he's so ****ed up.

All those new X-Men that have surfaced in recent years are crap. They would be NOTHING if they didn't come under the X-Men brand. All these Boom Boom's, Magma's, Pixies, Rockslides etc.... meh.
The 80's count as "recent years"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"