Sequels Unpopular opinions re. the sequals

Olan

Civilian
Reaction score
let me preface this by saying I loved the AVENGERS movie. saw it Friday, will see it again Monday and can't wait for the sequal. That being said, I have been reading the boards and have a couple of opinions on the sequals that I am sure will be unpopular.

1. NO MORE AVENGERS
the cast is already huge: 6 heroes and 3 SHIELD agents. That is 9 'main' characters that you already have to write for adding more will clutter the screen. Whedon did an outstanding job juggling all the heroes in this movie can you imagine if there were 2 or 3 more heroes to include? IMO he needs to keep this core lineup intact and keep the focus there.

2. ANOTHER ALIEN INVASION
yea I know, it's Thanos!!!! But IMO I think another alien invasion plot for A2 would be a mistake. While the people like us will accept Thanos and another alien invasion I am not sure the GA would be as accepting. I can't help but think there would be a feeling of 'didn't we just see this last movie' from the GA. Let's face it, you have to win over non-fanboys for a movie to be a true blockbuster. A2 needs to be different than the first. What kind of different I am not sure. A HYDRA plan maybe. Or insert supervillian plan here. I just feel it needs something different

Okay there you go. Now be gentle in your 'Olan you ignorant troll' talk, I bruise easy. :yay:
Flame ******ent suit on.

LONG LIVE THE AVENGERS.

1.I can completely understand what you mean. Having as many characters as the Avengers did while maintaining decent screen time for each must have been difficult to do but it all paid off nicely IMO. I think the best way to expand is to create a spin off West Coast Avengers movie with Hawkeye and Black Widow (full time agents of SHIELD) leading new recuits(war Machine,Vision,Ms.Marvel?) or maybe have the Hulk leave the team (for a solo franchise) and replace him at least for a while.

I think they can squeeze one or two more in.

I agree with most of the people here that hope Thanos gets saved for the 3rd movie.

Thanos should be used like the Emperor. Pulling the strings, have his presence felt. But save him in all his glory for the finale to the trilogy.

Since most people here (including me) don't want Thanos in Avengers 2, this isn't an "unpopular opionon" at all.

I'm thinking lose Maria Hill in the next one and since you know who is now deceased, that opens the door for two more Avengers: Hank & Jan Pym :word:

Definitely agree about not having another "space invasion" for A2...save the Big Bad (you know who) for A3. Have Ultron in A2.

1. The Avengers has *always* been about adding new members to the team and expanding the roster. To close the doors to new membership runs contrary to the very nature of the comic book. As for writing/face time and all that, Joss has already done the heavy lifting in terms of backstory and introduction for the six/seven heroes in Avengers 1. Avengers 2 wouldn't have to revisit all that at all --- it would operate under the assumption that if you've come this far in the movie series, you damn well already know who the founding Avengers in the MCU are.

2) Anyone assuming that Thanos means another space invasion understands nothing about the character at all. Thanos is not a conqueror, nor an invader; he is a mass murderer, plain and simple. He doesn't need to come to Earth to destroy it (let alone enslave it, which he has absolutely *no* interest in); he can wipe it out from the comforts of home.

Here's one: Hank Pym will be a 60s spy and won't be part of the current day MCU and will never be on the Avengers.

Here's one: Hank Pym will be a 60s spy and won't be part of the current day MCU and will never be on the Avengers.

If you're going by the first draft of Joe Cornish's Ant-Man script several years ago, yeah. Several years, about four re-writes, and a box-office juggernaut called "Avengers" has happened since then. Welcome to the future, Capsicle. ;)

They don't need to add new Avengers to the team. They can simply rotate the roster. Let Thor sit one out, for example, while Pym steps in. Or have Hawkeye head out west, while Vision comes in. That sort of thing. And you can easily explain their absence with a few lines of dialogue.

They don't need to add new Avengers to the team. They can simply rotate the roster. Let Thor sit one out, for example, while Pym steps in. Or have Hawkeye head out west, while Vision comes in. That sort of thing. And you can easily explain their absence with a few lines of dialogue.
While I agree, I think awkeye as a teammember in A2 is a must. He never got any backstory through a solo movie and had the least characerization in TA. To lose him now in favour of another hero would mean to lose him now before the character was explored on screen at all. That's a wasted opportunity and I hope MS will agree on that.

As for Thanos invading Earth: that won't happen. Thanos was never about conquering or invading. It's not in his character at all.

While I agree, I think awkeye as a teammember in A2 is a must. He never got any backstory through a solo movie and had the least characerization in TA. To lose him now in favour of another hero would mean to lose him now before the character was explored on screen at all. That's a wasted opportunity and I hope MS will agree on that.
Just an example.

i think that the first six members of the avengers should be in the sequel. i'm not sure if it will fly with the general audience if their favorite avenger from the first movie is not in the second one though. in my point of view, marvel has to add members without taking out any avengers, unless that avenger dies i guess.

I am not as much an expert on THE AVENGERS as many here but is there a non-alien supervillian that is worthy of taking them on in A2? maybe using HYDRA or something?

I am not as much an expert on THE AVENGERS as many here but is there a non-alien supervillian that is worthy of taking them on in A2? maybe using HYDRA or something?

Kang the Conqueror (a timelord); Graviton (a supervillain with one of the most powerful abilities on earth --- controlling gravity); Ultron, a killer robot who makes all other killer robots look like an electric toaster; HYDRA, with various possibilities for leadership; The Serpent Society; Zodiac; The Lethal Legion; The Legion of the Unliving; and their true archenemies, the Masters of Evil, a group of powerful supervillains with a roster that rotated almost as much as the Avengers'.

If you're going by the first draft of Joe Cornish's Ant-Man script several years ago, yeah. Several years, about four re-writes, and a box-office juggernaut called "Avengers" has happened since then. Welcome to the future, Capsicle. ;)

So in the future we baselessly assume that rewrites mean changing the core concept of the pitch? I guess I need something a bit more old fashioned. :dry: Also, last interview I saw, Feige said the Ant-Man script has been done for a long time. Doesn't sound like any major rewrites if any. I'm going by everything that's ever been said about the movie, over and over again, as opposed to fan hopes. Apparently, that's an unpopular perspective.

And somehow Avengers, a proven success without comics founders Pym and Wasp, is "evidence" that the Pyms need to be in the Avengers. :doh:

i think that the first six members of the avengers should be in the sequel. i'm not sure if it will fly with the general audience if their favorite avenger from the first movie is not in the second one though. in my point of view, marvel has to add members without taking out any avengers, unless that avenger dies i guess.

And there's my other unpopular opinion. They should add two Avengers and kill two Avengers in Avengers 2. If it were me I would kill Hawkeye and Thor. Both died in the comics epically and heroically, and Thor can always come back with Hel in Thor 3 and stay on Asgard fTW.

Kang the Conqueror (a timelord); Graviton (a supervillain with one of the most powerful abilities on earth --- controlling gravity); Ultron, a killer robot who makes all other killer robots look like an electric toaster; HYDRA, with various possibilities for leadership; The Serpent Society; Zodiac; The Lethal Legion; The Legion of the Unliving; and their true archenemies, the Masters of Evil, a group of powerful supervillains with a roster that rotated almost as much as the Avengers'.

Thanks
After I posted I realized that it was kind of a dumb question given this is a suerhero movie. Of course there would be super villians. Dumb me.

I think that is the way to go instead of another alien invasion

Why would you need to kill avengers to introduce others? While I don't want the roster to balloon to 12 or 15, Introducing a few new avengers and rotating the roster would be fine..

It's not entirely impossible that when/if you do get more avengers in, that other members (that have solo movies) could be having separate adventures at the same time to account for them not being there.

Honestly I would be totally fine if Black Widow and Hawkeye were not in the next movie. I like the 2 characters, but I don't like ScarJo as Widow and felt their characters really didn't add anything to the movie. Bring on new members like Ant-Man and Wasp!

I wouldn't mind if Black Widow and Hawkeye aren't going to be in Avengers 2 since they don't look really strong compare to Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. I just hope they will give them their proper exit.

Last edited:
So in the future we baselessly assume that rewrites mean changing the core concept of the pitch? I guess I need something a bit more old fashioned. :dry: Also, last interview I saw, Feige said the Ant-Man script has been done for a long time. Doesn't sound like any major rewrites if any. I'm going by everything that's ever been said about the movie, over and over again, as opposed to fan hopes. Apparently, that's an unpopular perspective.

And somehow Avengers, a proven success without comics founders Pym and Wasp, is "evidence" that the Pyms need to be in the Avengers. :doh:

I'll be happy to PM you the link to the Site Which Cannot Be Named that has *everything* associated with Ant-Man news up to date on it. Including the third rewrite that was turned in back in December, and the most recent entry being a Tweet from Wright on 5/5, this past Saturday.

The entirety of The Avengers 2 should be a two and a half hour Seinfeldian conversation in the Shwarma restaurant.

As much as everyone would hate it, I would actually love it if the sequel were like that. I mean, it won't be, and I'll still love the alternative, but I'd be lying if I said that that level of cinematic trolling wouldn't make me happy.

Hank Pym should never be seen in a movie. He should be like Robin in Chris Nolan's Batman. Completely Robin Free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"