Comics Unrealistic, huh?

Silverstein

Superhero
Reaction score
JoeQ thinks it's unrealistic that Peter and MJ could be together, and wants to end it right? Well I'd like to take a look at the facts. So answer this question. Do you have a significant other right now?

I mean if he's saying that Peter should be single, and that's unrelatable for him to be married or something. Then that would be completely false if even the fans have wives and girlfriends. (Or husbands and boyfriends..)

I really think we're going to read the newspaper and it'll say "Joe Queseda of Marvel Comics, was punched in the face today by an outraged fan." He just pisses me off.

Married 3 years, hate kids, have cats and dogs, bills, th' occasional turbulence...

Plus I have a Scarlet Spider costume! Erm...forget I said that last part....

I'm going on 2 years married, but have been with my wife for 6 years now.

She is very supportive of my Spidey addiction. :)
She even bought me ASM #36 (911 issue) for my birthday and a large Spidey Motion snow globe for christmas.

and last year, she threw me a suprise Spider-man party, with spidey masks, spidey cake and a spidey pinata. Yes, i am 28, but i've never had a spidey party, so she threw me one. i am very lucky. :)

I've been married 2 years as of this month.

A married Spidey is all I have ever known since I began seriously collecting comics back in the day. I thought that was a cool thing to be....married. Now I am. Dream accomplished.

I don't see how anyone can think that Peter Parker, who has suffered from the WORST luck of anyone else in comics, getting married to a beautiful woman is a "bad thing".

spahn said:
I'm going on 2 years married, but have been with my wife for 6 years now.

She is very supportive of my Spidey addiction. :)
She even bought me ASM #36 (911 issue) for my birthday and a large Spidey Motion snow globe for christmas.

and last year, she threw me a suprise Spider-man party, with spidey masks, spidey cake and a spidey pinata. Yes, i am 28, but i've never had a spidey party, so she threw me one. i am very lucky. :)

Wow...I thought I was the only one who'd had that done for him! My wife threw me a Spidey party a few years back (before we were married). She got me a Spdiey cake, and she got me ASM#300, a Venom statue, and so on!

Also, she got me that motion globe a year or two ago!! It's the one based on the Spider-man #1 (McFarlane) cover, right? That thing is AWESOME!!!

Okay.....geek moment over....:O

Like I always say, if I can land a hot chick, so could Peter (and anyone else, really).

shinlyle said:
Wow...I thought I was the only one who'd had that done for him! My wife threw me a Spidey party a few years back (before we were married). She got me a Spdiey cake, and she got me ASM#300, a Venom statue, and so on!

Also, she got me that motion globe a year or two ago!! It's the one based on the Spider-man #1 (McFarlane) cover, right? That thing is AWESOME!!!

Okay.....geek moment over....:O

Yeah, its the one based on McFarlane. I love it and you can never have enough geek moments. LOL.
spidey_globe.jpg

the thing is how much heartache can a woman take if her husband is off
always practically on the brink of death and his job is a danger to you and everything you know, while actually being a part time bum and not raising decent cash.

there's no stability in it.

although one can say that all the ladies during war times stayed with their husbands while they were off fighting.

THe difference is that the war is forever, never ending, a constant struggle, and you can see it taking it's toll, day after day, night after night.

My wife wants to buy me an Amazing Fantasy #15... :cool:

:)

Odin's Lapdog said:
the thing is how much heartache can a woman take if her husband is off
always practically on the brink of death and his job is a danger to you and everything you know, while actually being a part time bum and not raising decent cash.

there's no stability in it.

although one can say that all the ladies during war times stayed with their husbands while they were off fighting.

THe difference is that the war is forever, never ending, a constant struggle, and you can see it taking it's toll, day after day, night after night.

But she loves him... and that makes all the difference.

AND, she knew what she was getting into prior to marriage.

If she were to leave for fear of Peter's death, itwould just make her more shallow in my opinion.

Geez, all these married people in one place. I feel kinda out of place at teh moment. :o Still I'm single and have always enjoyed seeing MJ & Peter together. I grew up with the 90's cartoon and couldn't wait until they got together in that as well.

Themanofbat said:
But she loves him... and that makes all the difference.

AND, she knew what she was getting into prior to marriage.

If she were to leave for fear of Peter's death, itwould just make her more shallow in my opinion.
love's not always enough to sustain a marriage, other factors always seem to get in the way.

i don't know her exact motivation but honestly years of this sort of worrying at night wouldn't be good on anyone and is bound to wear away at even the most gruelling of tough skinned individuals.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if this was the case, i would deem it feasible.

I am not married...or even dating at the moment. Joe Q's problem, is that he feels marriage conflicts with Spider-Man's character, not that it is unrealistic. What Mr.Quesada fails to realize however, is that Spider-Man is just a mask. It's sort of like the inverse of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Batman is the real person, while Bruce Wayne is the face that Batman wears. Well, for Pete, Spidey is just the face that Peter wears. And to a large degree, not even really then. Spider-Man is just a shallow persona, designed to disguise his identity. Peter and Spider-Man behave exactly the same. The same lame jokes, self doubt, and courage (unless we're talking silver age, because back then, Peter was geeky and Spidey was highly over confident). The only difference is, Spider-Man can always open up a can of whoop ass, where as Peter can not. Once Quesada realizes that Peter is always Peter, he'll stop worrying so much about how marriage makes Spider-Man look. Because really, Spider-Man is just a costume. Marriage however, suits Peter Parker just fine.

Not married... not dating... but I do believe Axing the marriage is not the answer...

I've been married 2 years and have a 5 month old daughter. I love my wife and like being married, but unlike everyone here I don't like Spidey being married. I don't like Joey Q, and I really think he's made a lot of bad decisions lately, but I do have to agree with the married thing. I collected Spidey way before he was married, and when he got married I thought it was great, and that it was a good thing, but as the years went by it just seemed like, for the most part, the character's been stuck in neutral, and I knew something didn't seem right with him, at least in my opinion. Of course things like this are usually just a matter of opinion.

Married 3 years this June and expecting our first baby in July.

As a token female fan, I started reading at age 12 because Spidey was married. I just thought it was so cool and different from all the other cookie-cutter superheroes. That's responsibility and commitment right there... it's the kind of person I wanted to be when I grew up. :)

Having a male hero (which most are) surrounded by women makes it easier for female fans to relate, IMO. And I don't mean one-night-stand women, but the kind he has to come home to each night. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the Spider-Man movies made so much money, and the real reason is female moviegoers who came out in droves. Most of the people going to the other superhero movies (X2, FF, BB, etc.) are men.

Shouldn't the question be how many of us are married to a supermodel/actress/incredibly hot chick? It is a bit unrealistic for Peter (really a nobody outside of Spider-Man) to end up with someone like MJ (although I realize I'm generalizing :o).

However, we're talking about a superhero comic. A whole lotta things are unrealistic. Simply the fact Peter didn't die when bitten by a radio-active spider throws a good deal of realism out the window.

Guess I didn't answer the question, but bleh.

CConn said:
Shouldn't the question be how many of us are married to a supermodel/actress/incredibly hot chick?

Fine, I have no shame...I'll answer that. I am.

wedding3.jpg

You should email that to Quesada.

Of course then he might try to kill her off... :o

spahn said:
Yeah, its the one based on McFarlane. I love it and you can never have enough geek moments. LOL.
spidey_globe.jpg

Ah! That thing looks so cool! I did a damn back-flip when she got it for me! The fact that I'm a huge McFarlane fan (you know, from back when he used to draw...) made it that much cooler!!

As for MJ and Peter's marriage being under stress....that's every marriage. No marriage is perfect. If you think you marriage is perfect, then it's probably dead.

Marriage is built upon love and sustained by compromise. You can ask anyone. Even those who live together before marriage say that it changes once you get married. I've known people who lived together for years, and didn't make it through their first year of marriage. Once you start sharing everything, things change.

Peter and MJ, they were friends before they were married. She knew his secret, and he knew about her dad and her past. They loved each other, and they wanted to be together no matter what....that's why they got married. To think that love alone would sustain them is folly, though. MJ stays with Peter because she loves him....but also because she believes in him. She believes he is doing what's right, and she has decided to stand by him no matter what.

That's what keeps you together....faith. That, and a lot of determination. You have to decide when you get married that you won't let ANYTHING come between you and your spouse. You have to believe in them, and you have to KNOW that they believe in you. It's how things work.

Also, how many times have we seen Peter come home after taking on the Green Goblin or Rhino or Doc Ock and ask MJ how HER day was? Every time. He doesn't come in and begin telling her how he was fighting Doc Ock over on the top of an "L" train and crap like that. The only time he does that is when he's late coming home....like all us guys do. They listen to each other. She pays attention to him telling her about how the Lizard almost bit his head off with the same attentiveness that he gives her when she talks about some *****ebag director not giving her the part in a movie. They don't let one's life outweigh the other's life. If you came home and started talking to your wif eabout your day at the office like it was the end-all be-all event, and she tells you about her day at the doctor's office and you mock it as if it was unimportant, then you're belittling her, and that's not going to work.

I think that, if we saw Peter and MJ reciprocating each other's feelings and experiences more often, and perhaps even complimenting each other a little better, then we wouldn't hear anymore of this "break them up" nonsense.

Hey, I've got one for you....when was the last time we saw Peter and Mj out on a DATE?!

Give up.....it was issue # 51 or 52. It was right after they got back together. I know it was during the "Digger" arc. That's bull. If I went roughly 5 months without taking my wife out on a date, I'd be on the damn street corner! We should see Peter and MJ out on dates and doing married stuff more often. When's the last time they tooka trip somewhere? Can't recall....

And people wonder why the marriage seems dull!! Have them do something that married couples do!!! Have them fight over the damn remote, or the laundry not being done, and then have them make up and have Peter get some flowers or even have MJ do something nice for Peter!!!

You know what...just let me write the damned book. That'll fix everything.

Dumbasses.

shinlyle said:
I've been married 2 years as of this month.

A married Spidey is all I have ever known since I began seriously collecting comics back in the day. I thought that was a cool thing to be....married. Now I am. Dream accomplished.

I don't see how anyone can think that Peter Parker, who has suffered from the WORST luck of anyone else in comics, getting married to a beautiful woman is a "bad thing".

Preach on! This is exactly what I've been talking about. I'm not married, but hopefully will be in the next year or so. A married Spider-Man is when I came in, and I grew up along with him. Without the love and support of someone he cares about, it's easy to have a really awful spider-man day, come home to his empty apartment with pictures of ex-girlfriends, his ex-wife, and current love triangles, and just blow his own head off. I could see the panel, with him cringed and ready, the gun close to his temple, his spider-sense going crazy with him just going "I know! I know!"

spider greg said:
I've been married 2 years and have a 5 month old daughter. I love my wife and like being married, but unlike everyone here I don't like Spidey being married. I don't like Joey Q, and I really think he's made a lot of bad decisions lately, but I do have to agree with the married thing. I collected Spidey way before he was married, and when he got married I thought it was great, and that it was a good thing, but as the years went by it just seemed like, for the most part, the character's been stuck in neutral, and I knew something didn't seem right with him, at least in my opinion. Of course things like this are usually just a matter of opinion.

I'd have to suggest that maybe you're noticing weaker and weaker writing. Since spidey has been married, more and more comics have come out that caused certain people to be pissed. (Sins Past, Sins Remembered, The Other, Clone saga, Iron Spidey, etc,etc)...Nothing has sucked BECAUSE of MJ. That's why everything seems neutral, writers aren't doing the best spidey.

CConn said:
Shouldn't the question be how many of us are married to a supermodel/actress/incredibly hot chick? It is a bit unrealistic for Peter (really a nobody outside of Spider-Man) to end up with someone like MJ (although I realize I'm generalizing :o).

However, we're talking about a superhero comic. A whole lotta things are unrealistic. Simply the fact Peter didn't die when bitten by a radio-active spider throws a good deal of realism out the window.

Guess I didn't answer the question, but bleh.

Just because a woman is hot, does not make her shallow. There's that whole "love" factor. A girl would do anything for a guy that would stand by her through anything, a man who would risk his life for her; a man who would stop and shatter time itself if it meant her safety, if he could. He may not be rich, he may not be Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, or Reed Richards, but he doesn't need to be. He's Peter Parker and he loved her. That's all.

In the real world, and in comics, all you need is love.

Besides, Peter isn't ugly or anything. He's just geeky. If we were to assume that MJ was in fact shallow (even though she's not), Peter is actually kinda handsome. And he's Spider-man. So either way, he's a "catch".

And looking at all these people who are married and happy with their husband or wife, it's perfect for Peter to be married.

If they kill off MJ or have them get divorced, I really will leave spidey comics. I've said that before. It's the only good thing in his life, I hate you Joe Q.

shinlyle said:
Ah! That thing looks so cool! I did a damn back-flip when she got it for me! The fact that I'm a huge McFarlane fan (you know, from back when he used to draw...) made it that much cooler!!

As for MJ and Peter's marriage being under stress....that's every marriage. No marriage is perfect. If you think you marriage is perfect, then it's probably dead.

Marriage is built upon love and sustained by compromise. You can ask anyone. Even those who live together before marriage say that it changes once you get married. I've known people who lived together for years, and didn't make it through their first year of marriage. Once you start sharing everything, things change.

Peter and MJ, they were friends before they were married. She knew his secret, and he knew about her dad and her past. They loved each other, and they wanted to be together no matter what....that's why they got married. To think that love alone would sustain them is folly, though. MJ stays with Peter because she loves him....but also because she believes in him. She believes he is doing what's right, and she has decided to stand by him no matter what.

That's what keeps you together....faith. That, and a lot of determination. You have to decide when you get married that you won't let ANYTHING come between you and your spouse. You have to believe in them, and you have to KNOW that they believe in you. It's how things work.

Also, how many times have we seen Peter come home after taking on the Green Goblin or Rhino or Doc Ock and ask MJ how HER day was? Every time. He doesn't come in and begin telling her how he was fighting Doc Ock over on the top of an "L" train and crap like that. The only time he does that is when he's late coming home....like all us guys do. They listen to each other. She pays attention to him telling her about how the Lizard almost bit his head off with the same attentiveness that he gives her when she talks about some *****ebag director not giving her the part in a movie. They don't let one's life outweigh the other's life. If you came home and started talking to your wif eabout your day at the office like it was the end-all be-all event, and she tells you about her day at the doctor's office and you mock it as if it was unimportant, then you're belittling her, and that's not going to work.

I think that, if we saw Peter and MJ reciprocating each other's feelings and experiences more often, and perhaps even complimenting each other a little better, then we wouldn't hear anymore of this "break them up" nonsense.

Hey, I've got one for you....when was the last time we saw Peter and Mj out on a DATE?!

Give up.....it was issue # 51 or 52. It was right after they got back together. I know it was during the "Digger" arc. That's bull. If I went roughly 5 months without taking my wife out on a date, I'd be on the damn street corner! We should see Peter and MJ out on dates and doing married stuff more often. When's the last time they tooka trip somewhere? Can't recall....

And people wonder why the marriage seems dull!! Have them do something that married couples do!!! Have them fight over the damn remote, or the laundry not being done, and then have them make up and have Peter get some flowers or even have MJ do something nice for Peter!!!

You know what...just let me write the damned book. That'll fix everything.

Dumbasses.

*cries* yes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"