The Amazing Spider-Man *Update* Your Rating for TASM

People with forms of social anxiety or social disorders can feel uncomfortable even with their own family members that they are close with.

i'm sure they can but like I said it felt like too much and an overact on andrew's part. and i don't think peter is supposed to have anxiety problems or any disorders of the sort... he's just socially awkward

I didn't see it as overacting at all. And people who are socially awkward tend to have some sort of social anxiety.

its certainly not overacting, its quite spot on how andrew played it

i think its a case some people just don't understand or can't relate so it may confuse, but overall andrew did it well

It certainly IS overacting to me, and social awkwardness doesn't equate to social anxiety. but other than that I would agree, andrew garfield did exceptional, and better than tobey maguire

I never said that social awkwardness equates social anxiety, but in many cases, people who have one may also suffer from the other.

Oh, let's talk about social awkwardness.

Peter has that in TASM, as it's part of the character.

Let's talk about overdoing it to boredom and the point of total social ineptitude and incurable pathetic chronic dorkyness.

Previous trilogy.

this is all stemming from how I said garfield just jittered too much. yes i get that it was because he was socially awkward and wat not but we didn't see that with the previously trilogy but that's practically all i disliked about him. other than that, garfield >>>> tobey

If you listen to the commentary during the film, Webb makes a point of Garfield's acting throughout the movie and compliments him on his ability to create those mannerisms for Peter. It's very much a part of the physical nature of his awkwardness. Webb stated that Andrew had Peter starting off with the awkwardness in the beginning but by the end of the film he had become more confident and it showed. Notice the seen when Gwen is standing on his doorstep and talking about her father's funeral etc. Andrew is perfectly still throughout that entire scene. No twitching, no awkwardness. Subtle character growth thru a physical change in social behavior. Webb stated this several times and praised his young star for having that ability.

If you listen to the commentary during the film, Webb makes a point of Garfield's acting throughout the movie and compliments him on his ability to create those mannerisms for Peter. It's very much a part of the physical nature of his awkwardness. Webb stated that Andrew had Peter starting off with the awkwardness in the beginning but by the end of the film he had become more confident and it showed. Notice the seen when Gwen is standing on his doorstep and talking about her father's funeral etc. Andrew is perfectly still throughout that entire scene. No twitching, no awkwardness. Subtle character growth thru a physical change in social behavior. Webb stated this several times and praised his young star for having that ability.
I might have to watch the film again because I remember him having those fidgety moments again right after gwen leaves and he starts talking to aunt may. it wasn't satisfying to watch and i don't care if that's wat webb wanted anyway because he didn't make a perfect movie. most of the time though, garfield's acting was top notch.

I didn't see it as a case of overacting as much as just a poor choice that was overdone (if that makes any sense :funny:)

I guess what I'm trying to say is Garfield should've reined it in a bit more.He leaned on it to the point where it became uncomfortable to watch.If it was done sparingly,it'd been more effective.

I didn't see it as a case of overacting as much as just a poor choice that was overdone (if that makes any sense :funny:)

I guess what I'm trying to say is Garfield should've reined it in a bit more.He leaned on it to the point where it became uncomfortable to watch.If it was done sparingly,it'd been more effective.

If he had overdone it, it'd have been Maguire. :o

no way. tobey wasn't ever fidgety like that. he had his own, worse ways of NOT being fun to watch.

precisely, i could not have said it better myself.

This. And it looks like Peter continued to grow after TASM1 since he seems to be completely confident by the time we get to TASM2.

I might have to watch the film again because I remember him having those fidgety moments again right after gwen leaves and he starts talking to aunt may. it wasn't satisfying to watch and i don't care if that's wat webb wanted anyway because he didn't make a perfect movie. most of the time though, garfield's acting was top notch.

Peter didn't really have any "fidgety moments" with Aunt May after Gwen leaves. I thought it was satisfying enough to watch. Have you ever seen a "perfect" movie? ;)

The only time I questioned Garfield's acting was during the Police Station scene, where I think all that was needed was perhaps a new take.

This. And it looks like Peter continued to grow after TASM1 since he seems to be completely confident by the time we get to TASM2.

Peter didn't really have any "fidgety moments" with Aunt May after Gwen leaves. I thought it was satisfying enough to watch. Have you ever seen a "perfect" movie? ;)

The only time I questioned Garfield's acting was during the Police Station scene, where I think all that was needed was perhaps a new take.
I guess I'll have to watch it again for that scene and no unfortunately I have not ever seen a perfect movie, but some can be near perfect :cwink:

the police station scene, where stacy makes a godzilla reference? hm i dunno I felt like that scene was done fine. this movie was not so bad but either way spidey's popularity has diminished with the ever growing mcu

It's like people want to come up with ways to convince themselves that Garfield's performance was so much better,so they resort to trying to bash Maguire.

Tobey was fine.His performance was widely accepted.Don't try to rewrite history.

It's like people want to come up with ways to convince themselves that Garfield's performance was so much better,so they resort to trying to bash Maguire.

Tobey was fine.His performance was widely accepted.Don't try to rewrite history.

Garfield's performance was better but that's not to say tobey's was bad. However, it was at its worst in sm3 but that's not entirely his fault, it's the writing and director's fault for putting peter parker that way

]Garfield's performance was better but that's not to say tobey's was bad.[/B] However, it was at its worst in sm3 but that's not entirely his fault, it's the writing and director's fault for putting peter parker that way

Given what we agreed to previously about Garfield's performance,I don't know why you'd say that.:woot:

I don't think Garfield is a bad actor by any means,(and he may do better in TASM 2) but I don't think he was near as good as Maguire.

Given what we agreed to previously about Garfield's performance,I don't know why you'd say that.:woot:

I don't think Garfield is a bad actor by any means,(and he may do better in TASM 2) but I don't think he was near as good as Maguire.

ah yeah, now that i reread my post i feel it was a bit redundant. hehe

wat about tobey's performance makes you believe he was better than garfield?

Transformers 2 was widely accepted at the BO. That said, Maguire (directed by Raimi) only played one or two keys of Parker's piano. Garfield played so many more. And not feeling like a total inept.

Transformers 2 was widely accepted at the BO. That said, Maguire (directed by Raimi) only played one or two keys of Parker's piano. Garfield played so many more. And not feeling like a total inept.

dunno wat a BO is. I thought the first transformers was horrible though I skipped out on the second one and I thought the third was just as horrible too.

XtremelyBaneful, do you really think this movie is only worth a 1 out of 10?

TASM is the most polarizing thing i've ever seen in my life. I can watch it, enjoy it for the most part, although I do have serious issues that I don't want to get into right now. Then I think about it, grow to dislike it, watch it again, and like it. Probably a 6/10, it does some things right and even better than Raimi, but imo, failed to capture the heart and spirit of Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"