The Amazing Spider-Man *Update* Your Rating for TASM

...wat?! the last time superman was on the bigscreen was in 2006, 7 years before mos, so YES I CAN COMPARE.
I completely forgot about that movie. In fact, I think just about everyone forgot Superman Returns was ever made. That movie put people to sleep.

I completely forgot about that movie. In fact, I think just about everyone forgot Superman Returns was ever made. That movie put people to sleep.

you may have forgotten it man, as well as countless others but the fact still remains. and it did well at the box office, just maybe not as well as they might have hoped

anyways, I apologize that I missed something in a post you mentioned earlier that addressed this already, but I edited my last post to include you may not have seen it so i'll put it here, and it also goes along with what we were just talking about (how superman returns was putting folks to sleep)

EDIT: I just realized I didn't see your post here that addressed this first, but here's the thing: yes asm grossed more (and that may just be because it was a better film), BUT, mos became the highest grossing superman film EVER whereas it is backwards for asm.

and that may just be because
a. spiderman is overall a more popular superhero than superman and
b. the bar is set higher for spiderman on the big screen than supes

Superman Returns made $391,081,192 worldwide… thats OK for a character like Superman.

Either way, it was decades before Superman's origin was told on the big screen.

Superman Returns made $391,081,192 worldwide… thats OK for a character like Superman.
thats close to 400 million and I think that's really good. May not have broken half a billion but yeah, perhaps superman is just seen as an overpowered superhero and it just simply not as popular as some others. although bb grossed even lower.
Either way, it was decades before Superman's origin was told on the big screen.

I don't think that's relevant. the most recent superman film was superman returns and mos not only bested it but became the highest grossing superman film ever

It is relevant...

I don't think so... all it means is that superman was on screen longer than spiderman, and that is probably partially due to the fact that spiderman's cinematic debut was in developmental hell for 25 years

A Spider-Man movie came out in 2002. The third and last film in that series came out in 2007, and although made a LOT of money, wasn't exactly adored by audiences. Five years later we got a reboot re-telling the same origin told 10 years prior. It didn't exactly get a lot of hype.

A Spider-Man movie came out in 2002. The third and last film in that series came out in 2007, and although made a LOT of money, wasn't exactly adored by audiences. Five years later we got a reboot re-telling the same origin told 10 years prior. It didn't exactly get a lot of hype.
by hype you mean excitement, not box office gross yeah?

very true, and another reason is probably because of people having mixed feelings about the reboot every since it was announced in the first place

Well hype means excitement, and if a movie doesn't get much hype, then chances are it won't perform as well in the box office.

Most people were against the reboot to begin with.

Well hype means excitement, and if a movie doesn't get much hype, then chances are it won't perform as well in the box office.

Most people were against the reboot to begin with.

maybe not most, just like the mandarin twist in im3, I think it was very divided; there were enough people pissed off about sm3 that they were happy/relieved to hear about a reboot

on a side note, I always find is strange how sm2 is unanimously known as one of the greatest comic book movies yet it grossed the least in the first trilogy

Well that just tells you something, doesn't it? Box office doesn't reflect movie quality.

Well that just tells you something, doesn't it? Box office doesn't reflect movie quality.

yeah but it's just strange...no one can argue that it failed, it did $700 million, but I thought it was gonna do more, a lot more.

but hey, box office does reflect movie quality to some degree. avatar is the highest grossing film ever for a reason.

Ehh, to a degree. Avatar did so well because:

1- it was really hyped and the trailer blew people away
2- it was technologically innovative

Otherwise it isn't generally considered to be an AMAZING film (it has an 80% or so on RT). Also, some of the best movies out there have poor box office ratings, yet some of the worst (Twilight, Transformers) are some of the highest grossing films of all time.

Ehh, to a degree. Avatar did so well because:

1- it was really hyped and the trailer blew people away
2- it was technologically innovative

Otherwise it isn't generally considered to be an AMAZING film (it has an 80% or so on RT). Also, some of the best movies out there have poor box office ratings, yet some of the worst (Twilight, Transformers) are some of the highest grossing films of all time.

I personally agree with you (if you also do not generally consider it to be amazing) but it DID get nominated for best picture, so the academy found it amazing...

and yeah, I thought transformers was horrible but hey, I never watched the twilight films but I think their existence is great because it shows that certain films in box office can be saved my majority female audiences and it's not just chick flicks

The academy nominates a lot of movies I don't care about to be honest.

Same, I said **** that award nomination ever since avatar got nominated but nonetheless, those are the highest honors that hollywood recipients can receive.

It's a show that stands up to repeat viewing. I think I gave it 8.5 last time and I haven't changed my opinion all that much on it. 8.5-9 thereabouts...

The thing that still grabs me about this movie is Garfield's performance. He brings so much to the table as Peter and Spidey. Such a rich performance.

For me its just everything that involves Peter and Gwen. The movie could have been all about Peter chasing after his Uncle Ben's killer and developing a relationship with Gwen, while dropping hints about the Oscorp/Parents mystery, and I would have probably given it a 10/10. :cool:

I'm generally happy to see Spidey onscreen in any form so I'm probably not that hard to please but the acting in this iteration delighted me. Andrew's Peter Parker reminds me somewhat of our oldest nephew who turns 17 this year.

For me its just everything that involves Peter and Gwen. The movie could have been all about Peter chasing after his Uncle Ben's killer and developing a relationship with Gwen, while dropping hints about the Oscorp/Parents mystery, and I would have probably given it a 10/10. :cool:

that's pretty much wat it was without the focus on the killer. with everything going on in asm2 i doubt he'll find him there either.

The Lizard storyline is what brought it down for me. I think, however, that Peter will catch his uncle ben's killer in TASM3.

and it turns out to be Sandman once again. :o

If, in all seriousness, that DID happen… I would walk out and bang my head against the wall. But that wouldn't ever happen again.

I think maybe at most the killer would turn out to be a henchman for "The Big Man" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"