Villain for the Dark Knight Beyond?

thorstone

Civilian
Reaction score
That's what I'm calling it if Nolan produces a direct sequel with Robin taking over the role of Batman (and Snyder directing).

The question is, what villains? Is Bane alive? Where has the Scarecrow gone? How about some more Joker-level names like Penguin or Riddler? Is it time to recast the Joker? If Bane is alive and the Joker free in Gotham; what happens when they meet?

I want to see a new take on the Penguin as a political villain and profiteer of the chaos in Gotham.

Banes totally alive after that missile to the chest! /sarcasm.

No but really, this will never happen and even though i believe John Blake doesn't become Batman, but a different identity all together (Nightwing), i would still my cream my jeans.

So for ****s & giggles....in a dream land, or comic form, i would have Joker return with Harley Quinn. Most of the other villains would be included one way or another. Riddler, Penguin, Black Mask, Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Hush.

As Nightwing i would reduce it to just a couple of names.

Oh and im sure there's a couple of threads in the TDKR forum and in this section maybe, that involves this kind of topic.

oddly absent, but my choice.

Mr._Freeze_-_New_52.jpg

Good lord i am so sorry LOL. I have to facepalm at my actions. Of course Mr Freeze. He's the character im looking forward to the most!

BTW that artwork is bloody awesome.

I almost put Freeze on the list but I felt like the version that would appear in this universe would not be the Freeze most fans want.

I believe the ending was very explicit. Gordon finds a new Bat signal, and the final image of the movie is the "Dark Knight" rising.

Bruce Wayne says to Robin that he created Batman so that anyone could be Batman. There is no question to me that Robin will now take over as the Batman. Al Ghul Batman is immortal.

I thought Catwoman just fired a gun on the bike-- not the missiles when she shot Bane. They never showed the body, but if it was the missile, I guess that showing the body after that would be gruesome.

Last edited:
actually, i think it'd be best go more fantastical for a film like this, if its nightwing and not batman. i don't think the GA would care too much about nightwing cause it'd come down like a waterdown nolanbats film.

I almost put Freeze on the list but I felt like the version that would appear in this universe would not be the Freeze most fans want.

I believe the ending was very explicit. Gordon finds a new Bat signal, and the final image of the movie is the "Dark Knight" rising.

Bruce Wayne says to Robin that he created Batman so that anyone could be Batman. There is no question to me that Robin will now take over as the Batman. Al Ghul Batman is immortal.

I thought Catwoman just fired a gun on the bike-- not the missiles when she shot Bane. They never showed the body, but if it was the missile, I guess that showing the body after that would be gruesome.
Read the last few pages or so of the JGL thread (in the TDKR forum) I completely disagree with you...there's a long argument about that lol. It's more open to just "he's Batman". He can be whatever he chooses to be.

I won't continue the argument here, but for the sake of this thread..whether it's Batman Beyond or whatever...Freeze can be done Nolan style but stretched a little bit. It shouldn't be about what the fans want. It was never that way with Nolans universe anyway. Heath's Joker and Hathaway's Catwoman was never what we wanted going into it. A lot of people loved it, some not so much. You can't please everybody, you just have to do your own interpretation sometimes.

But ya, Bane is definately dead.

Last edited:
That's what I'm calling it if Nolan produces a direct sequel with Robin taking over the role of Batman (and Snyder directing).

What I'd want to see, as soon as this supposed "new Batman" showed up on Gordon's roof; Gordon takes out his gun and starts point blank shooting at him, saying - "Get off my freakin roof, you piece of **** imposter!"

So yeah , I guess the villain would be whoever this Robin is, supposedly dressing up as Batman.

And yes, I think that's how it should have, and should always play out in the comics too. I think it's a more exceptional approach.
I Know Gordon doesn't know who is behind the mask, but he knows who Batman is, i.e he has a long established and earned trusting relationship with this specific persona.
He'd instantly recognize if it was someone else dressed up.
And he wouldn't automatically just trust somone cause they are in a bat suit. Even if he knew Batman had worked with others, or "side kicks".
On the contrary, he'd be the first to recognize and insist you are NOT Batman, I have no connection with you, Batman is not the freakin suit. And yeah he'd bring the entire force of Gotham's Police Dept. down on this importer - supposed Batman.

If hypothetically in this "Beyond" scenario Gordon were retired too, or dead, the most ridiculous thing would be if some new Commissioner suddenly by default just decided to trust have an instant relationship with this vigilante dressed as a bat, just cause the previous guy did.
That was a UNIQUE, almost symbiotic relationship, established between those two, specifically. It should not just transfer to anyone. Not without a drawn out, l personal development of their own.
So again, if they were to make this movie, the most logical first villain would be this supposed "Batman".

As to who they might fight in common, that is pretty irrelevant considering the bigger picture, it could just as well be Mothman if you consider the more interesting villain.

Last edited:
Gordon automatically noticed Dick wasn't Bruce while he was Batman. He was fine with it. If anything he'd instantly notice Blake too.

Black Mask. He was one of the KEY villains when Robin became Batman in the comics.

Gordon automatically noticed Dick wasn't Bruce while he was Batman. He was fine with it.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, that I think it's kind of ridiculous that he would be "fine with it."
Hence my not to subtle exact opposite scenario, where he just opens fire on him.

Last edited:

he has a long established and earned, trusting relationship with this specific persona.
...he wouldn't automatically just trust somone cause they are in a bat suit. Even if he knew Batman had worked with others, or "side kicks".
On the contrary, he'd be the first to recognize and insist you are NOT Batman, I have no connection with you, Batman is not the freakin suit.

That was a UNIQUE, almost symbiotic relationship, established between those two, specifically. It should not just transfer to anyone.

...if they were to make this movie, the most logical first villain (to me) would be a supposed "new Batman".

Last edited:
I think that TDKR states that Gordon doesn't care that much who's Batman, just as long as there is a Batman.

I don't want to see the Joker return. At this point, ever. What we got with TDK was perfection. I don't see how any actor could top it, or any storyteller could top TDK's.

If it's going to be a JGL film let's say he'd have to go up against the Penguin as a "normal" bad guy working for someone like the Riddler or Freeze. It would have to be a really random team up. Or, even better, have two separate villains, completely unconnected, and the challenge of having to take down both before it's too late.

Since "team-ups" are usually cheesy, something like one villain merely taking advantage of the chaos caused by the other would be enough. No meeting scenes necessary.

Yeah. I know what you said before. But why? Your reasoning sounds more like why someone wouldn't read a comic book than why Gordon wouldn't work with a new Batman. Gordon's someone trying to help Gotham, not a fanboy. But you seem to imply that the new Batman would be someone Gordon didn't trust. But in both cases we're talking about (Grayson and Blake) people Gordon does trust. If someone he knows and trusts is taking over for someone else he knows and trusts, why would he shoot them? You can't see how ridiculous it sounds? To shoot the new Batman because he was better friends with the old one?

In fact, in the movie itself, Gordon was of the "Batman as a symbol" persuasion. He tells Batman that he never cared who he was. When Blake mentions the people not knowing who saved them, Gordon said "it was the Batman." If Robin Blake swooped in wearing a new Batsuit, Gordon would carry out business as usual. Even if he recognized Blake, he might not even choose to acknowledge the difference.

I think that TDKR states that Gordon doesn't care that much who's Batman, just as long as there is a Batman.
I don't think he'd just accept anyone showing up in the mask. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6TmhHAsvwg&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s
These two have a specific trust built on their relationship, that he'll never have to be requited to, despite the guy being a vigilante in a mask who in the eyes of the law is a "criminal". He allows for it because of the man behind the mask, which he "sees" and trusts. You can't automatically just swap that with anyone cause they are wearing the same suit.

If someone he knows and trusts is taking over for someone else he knows and trusts, why would he shoot them? You can't see how ridiculous it sounds?
Where in the senario was the "new Batman" established as someone he already knows and trusts? How does he "know" him. All he could know is - it's not the Batman he does know.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Blake tell Gordon that Bruce is the one who let him be the new hero of Gotham? And couldn't John Blake just say, "Oh, hi, Commissioner. It's me, John Blake."

I don't think he'd just accept anyone showing up in the mask. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6TmhHAsvwg&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s
These two have a specific trust built on their relationship, that he'll never have to be requited to, despite the guy being a vigilante in a mask who in the eyes of the law is a "criminal". He allows for it because of the man behind the mask, which he "sees" and trusts. You can't automatically just swap that with anyone cause they are wearing the same suit.

Where in the senario was the "new Batman" established as someone he already knows and trusts? How does he "know" him. All he could know is - it's not the Batman he does know.

Did you even see Dark Knight Rises?

How convenient you ignore the parts that address that. It's mentioned several times. This topic is about Robin Blake from Dark Knight Rises taking over as Batman. What else would it be a direct sequel to? Plus, you even said he'd still do the "YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND!" shooting thing to Dick, who he's known since he was a child. Same goes for all of the Robins, besides Blake, who he worked with and personally knows he was a big fan of what Batman was doing.

This whole Robin Blake spinoff thing is super fun to theorize about and imagine, but it will NOT happen, which for me personally, means my time is better spent hyping over actually announced CBMs coming out. Plus a lot of the stuf fmentioned so far is sorta lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"