Vince Gilligan's Next Series Starring Rhea Seehorn on Apple TV+

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Vince Gilligan Prepping New Series; ‘Better Call Saul’ Followup – Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: As Better Call Saul is coming to an end, series co-creator — and Breaking Bad creator — Vince Gilligan is ready for what comes next. And once again, for his next drama project he is going with a wholly original idea. No one would comment, but there is a lot of anticipation in the marketplace for the pitch, which is expected to come out in the next couple of weeks, with at least 8-9 networks and platforms lined up to hear it.

I hear the new project, which comes from Sony Pictures TV where Gilligan has been under an overall deal for a long time, is a departure from the world of drugs and crime he explored in Breaking Bad and its prequel,Better Call Saul, whose series finale airs Aug 15. Word is that the new show harkens back to Gilligan’s tenure onThe X-Files. But don’t expect a sci-fi drama — when he was a writer-producer on The X-Files, Gilligan was known for focusing more on the human condition in his episodes, which is something he is said to also be doing in his new series, exploring similar themes of bending reality while holding a mirror to humanity.

Described as a blended, grounded genre drama, the new series also is being compared to The Twilight Zone. It is said to be set in our world while putting a tweak on it, focusing on people and exploring the human condition in an unexpected, surprising way.

Thought-provoking but not a morality tale, the new show is expected to carry the signature Gilligan tone that infuses drama with humor.
Hnnngh

Vince Gilligan Wants to Write a Good Guy
Honestly, that’s all I watch these days. I love the old stuff. I love old episodes of “Emergency!” and “The Rockford Files” and “Columbo” and “The Twilight Zone” and “Hogan’s Heroes.” It’s comfort food for my brain. I hope that kind of storytelling never goes away.
For my next show, I’d like the lead character to be an old-fashioned hero, an old-fashioned good guy. Jim Rockford is kind of rough around the edges, but he always does the right thing. Fifteen years ago, when I was conceiving of Walter White, I looked around and thought, Well, what is current TV? It’s mostly good guys. But now I’m looking around, thinking, Gee, there’s an awful lot of bad guys on TV, and not just on shows but on the news. It feels like a world of ****heels now, both in fiction and in real life. I think it’s probably time again for a character who doesn’t go for the easy money. I’d be very happy if I could write a more old-fashioned hero, someone who is not out for themselves at every turn.
Really good interview with Vince Gilligan. Figured this might be relevant...

My desire to not add on another streaming service is under constant attack.

rhea-2.jpg

Vince Gilligan’s Next Series Starring Rhea Seehorn Lands At Apple TV+ – Deadline

The biggest TV project to hit the marketplace in quite a while has landed with the biggest series commitment in quite a while. Apple TV+ has nabbed the new show from Breaking Bad creator and Better Call Saul co-creator Vince Gilligan, which will has Better Call Saul star Rhea Seehorn attached to play the lead. The untitled project, described as a blended, grounded genre drama, has received a two-season straight-to-series order from the streamer.

Hailing from Gilligan’s longtime studio home, Sony Pictures Television, the new series marks Gilligan’s followup to the back-to-back critical and ratings hits Breaking Bad and prequel Better Call Saul. It also marks Gilligan’s second collaboration with Better Call Saul star Seehorn, who landed a 2022 Emmy nomination for her acclaimed performance on the show.

Gilligan will serve as showrunner and executive produce through his High Bridge Productions. Former Sony Pictures TV President Jeff Frost, who oversaw the project prior to recently stepping down from his executive post, will also executive produce, along with Diane Mercer. Jenn Carroll is producing for High Bridge Productions.

As Deadline reported exclusively last month, there was a lot of anticipation for Gilligan’s pitch, with at least 8-9 networks and platforms lined up to hear it and read his script. There were multiple rounds of bidding for the project, which I hear was seeking a series order and a budget in the vicinity $13.5M-$15M an episode — on the high end for a premium drama with significant genre elements but not in the jaw-dropping $20M+ an episode range for shows like LOTR: The Rings Of Power, House of the Dragon or the now-shelved Demimonde.

Awesome. Rhea and Vince are a fantastic team. Really excited for this!

Dipping his toes back into sci-fi after cutting his teeth on The X-Files? Good GOD, yes.

This is like....exactly what I wanted him to do next (especially after he didn't do any episodes for the X-Files revival as I'd hoped). I need my sci-fi Gilligan fix! :mrk:

Now I kinda want Breaking Bad set in space. :o

Sounds like this starts filming in February and has a yearlong shooting schedule.

A fun, mild sci-fi series told through the point of view of Seehorn’s character, the show is said to be set in our world while putting a tweak on it, bending reality and focusing on people and exploring the human condition in an unexpected, surprising way. It has been compared to classic movies such as E.T.

Wydra plays a character referred to as Ana, an optimistic young woman. The series is gearing up for production or has already started filming in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"