Vote for the Greatest Basball Postseason in the last 50 years.

Superman79

Superman79 Returns
Reaction score
Ok, After a discussion with a couple of people about Dave Roberts in '04 and the Red Sox amazing comeback, I got into a pretty steady debate with some folks so I'm curious Which was the best baseball postseason???

This is NOT a conclusive list, but it is some of the best that came up in conversation. Additionally, the synopsis don't include the fantastic individual performances that make up those series...

1960- Pittsburgh takes the World Series 4-3 because of a man known as 'Maz'

1969- Miracle Mets- New York sweeps Atlanta for the NL Championship and beats Baltimore 4-1 in the World Series after being virtually written off for the season

1975- Cincinnati Reds- Sweeps the Pirates for the NL Championship, and beats Boston 4-3 in a hotly contested World Series capped by a game 6 and game 7 that are still talked about on ESPN every October.

1991- Minnesota Twins- The Twins trounce Toronto in the AL Championship, then go on to win what was arguably the greatest World Series ever, with 4 games being decided in the last at bat.

1999- Arizona Diamondbacks- The Snakes take Atlanta for the NL Crown, and beat the Yanks in game 7 to deny the bombers their 4th straight Series ring...

2004- Boston Red Sox- Become the first team in history to come back from a three game deficit to win a 7 game series for the AL Crown, and to sweep a high powered (and favored) Cardinals team in the World Series.

2005- Chicago White Sox- Beat the Angels 4-1 for the AL Championship, and walk all over Houston in the Series 4-0.

Feel free to make other suggestions...

That's Diamondbacks one is 2001, and that's my favorite.

Personally, and admitting some hometown bias here, I think the 1997 World Series with the Marlins and Indians is vastly underrated.

Well seeing as I have only actually watched all of the D'Backs, Red Sox, and White Sox postseasons and World Series. I have to go with the Diamondbacks, but only for the single reason that it brought people back down to earth. As for the Red Sox and White Sox, dropping the bias, I would say the Red Sox run was of greater achievment, but I would say that Chicago's postseason was a lot closer to Boston's than people will admit. In both post seasons you saw things that will probably never happen or rarely happen again.

Ummm 2004 Boston Red Sox...close this dumb poll, that's a dumb question. The answer is obvious. God, Jesus, Darwin, Batman, Superman and your mothers all agree...it's the 04 Red Sox.

I have to go with the 2004 Red Sox. Comming back to beat the Yankees from a 3-0 (!) deficit and breaking the curse. Simply awesome.

yea id vote red sox if i werent a pirates fan. bill mazerozki will live forever.

That's Diamondbacks one is 2001, and that's my favorite.

I agree. Considering what Arizona had working against them. The post 9/11 New York sympathy, a basket case closer, and the whole Yankee mistique.

What about the '84 Tigers?

Nobody likes the Tigers ;) :p

Honestly, I just threw the list together off the top of my head and I realize I forgot a couple like the Tigres and the Royals of the late 80's...my bad

That team f***ing dominated.

Of those, '05 White Sox. Mainly because I got a steak dinner out of it, because my friend was proven wrong by their winning it. :woot:

May '05...

Me: White Sox are gonna win it all.
Friend: You're nuts.
Me: Perhaps, but they're impressing me on all fronts.
Friend: Dude, you are so wrong. If they win the series I will buy you a steak dinner.

On a cold October night, that steak was yummy. :yay:

Kinda funny.

Halfway through this past NBA season, when the Mavs were pegged to make the Finals, no one thought of the Spurs.

I told my buddy, "I think the Spurs will be the one from the West. They will come out of nowhere to win the conference. And I'm pretty sure they'll win the Finals."

I didn't say who the East would have, I thought either Detroit or Chicago, but wow, I couldn't believe I was right. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"