The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I remember this reveal very well. I was taking summer courses in college and saw it when I got back to my dorm after class. I recall liking it from the belt up, but hated the legs from day one. Since then, I've cooled on the suit altogether. Just an altogether busy mess of a design.

darkknight-batsuit.jpg
I remember that reveal too. It was actually around this time that I started frequenting this forum.

I was pretty bummed they changed the Batman Begins suit, and I never really warmed to that new one.
There's two scene where I think this Batman looked really good though: the confrontation with Dent after capturing David Dastmalchian's character and in the finale scene, facing Two-Face and Gordon. It just looked better to me when bathed in shadows, making the puzzle look disappear...

Ironically, I think this specific shot is one of the best of that suit and I wish Nolan had kept the shot of Batman running on top of the police car, as seen in one of the trailer.

Anyway, sorry for the O.T.

'We don't need realism with these costumes'

*proceeds to list reasons for why their preferred style of costume lines up more with reality. :hehe:

I obviously misread your comment. At first glance it seemed a little like crying “the sky is falling,” but this clarification helps.

You see, the anecdotal evidence I have is that friends who saw the suit had a reaction of “cool. I’m glad to get a new Superman movie. Hope it’s better than the last ones.”

Most people aren’t breaking down the suit to the degree that online fans or people paid to write articles are doing. Whether a suit is too baggy or has a higher neckline probably won’t be a deciding factor in whether the film succeeds or not. In fact, a good movie can change opinions. I know a lot of people, myself included, who hated the TDK batsuit when the reveal photo with him standing on the squad car was released. But TDK was so good and the suit made sense in the context of the film. Now it’s one of the better cinematic suits to me as a result.

In the end, I’m just glad to have a Superman wearing clothes and not foam rubber muscles.

I think you and I are on the same page overall when it comes down to the larger point which is this suit isn't going to be cause of it's success or failure. And we are in 100% agreement that casuals are not analyzing it the way we are. They have a much simpler approach to it. But that's why we are Super fans. We breakdown every little detail, significant or not. My opinions are in real time of what I see and feel, but I recognize they also come from a hardcore fan perspective, which is still an important element of the audience that Gunn tries to appeal to.

The suit isn't going to make or break the film for me. And I yes thank God no foam rubber.

So wait….you asked casual movie-goers….if they had a specific opinion on a Superman costume? Of course the answer was “meh” lmao.

Continuing the train of anecdotal evidence, 99% of the time I show this stuff to my wife and she says “oh cool” with zero enthusiasm. And then she goes to see the movie and loves it.

Casual movie-goers don’t care about these details. So your portrayal of an angry indifferent mob falls a little flat for me. I saw plenty of enthusiasm and positive sentiments online.

Hence the term anecdotal, recognizing that it can go the other way. Found it interesting nonetheless.

Of course I've seen positive responses online, but it feels like I've seen far more criticism than praise. Either way, I don't think divided is what most were hoping for.

It's the only official image we have to react to so there's always a risk of being a prisoner of the moment. You have genuine criticism mixing with hyperbole. That's the internet.

This right here. Hopefully my comments weren't coming across hyperbolic, as I've tried to be very clear in previous posts that I believe we are still going to get good film and I'm optimistic about what Gunn is planning.

You're always going to have bad faith arguments on the Internet. It's silly if anyone thinks this image is going to be what we are talking about come July 11th next year.

Really? That's wild, if true.
The dude looked massive in that horror movie that name doesn't come to mind and now he has bulker up even more..and is the same height. I think he will really become our new "mom's" Superman.

I know many here and beyond would love nothing more than for the narrative to be that the dislike is mostly or only fueled by Snyder fans or fans of Man of Steel. Heck, I'm a Man of Steel fan and I think the suit looks fine. Good, not great.

But when you've got the likes of Forbes writing articles saying that the image looks like AI, that narrative doesn't fly.
I wasn't pushing a narrative - just observing. Although I will say that crowd wasn't going to like it, no matter what.

I also thought the image was AI generated. It has that 'look' to it and a reveal this early on seemed unlikely, so I thought it was likely AI given the amount of fan manips we've seen.

@Boom On that same note, I really hope Gunn sticks to a New 52 style for Batman’s costume. Gray fabric, continuous cape and cowl, thinner cowl like Battinson’s. I’m tired of all the rubber and “armor.” It’s a fantasy. We don’t need “realism” with these costumes, especially not in an elevated universe involving superpowers and all sorts of crazy technology. It hasn’t been needed in the comics or the cartoons; why is film any different?

Also, if you give Batman a thinner costume, it makes acrobatics more realistic, something we probably haven’t seen portrayed because Film Batman is often lumbering around under 50-100 lbs of foam rubber. As for realism, I can accept that Wayne has enough resources that he can fabricate a lightweight but generally protective material.

I want Gunn to go all the way. No more excuses. The time is now.

how-would-you-feel-if-the-blue-and-grey-was-the-batsuit-of-v0-elg48jrl62ga1.jpg

On a different note, I read online today that Corenswet is actually 6'6 and not 6'4 as previously thought.

He is going to look massive on film.
That might just be an error by his trainer and/or GQ.

That might just be an error by his trainer and/or GQ.
That’s what I suspect. That said, while short actors regularly fudge their height upwards in all “official” outlets, tall actors (say over 6’3”) also regularly fudge their heights downward because being “too tall” can lose people just as many opportunities as being “too short” in Hollywood. Nobody wants supporting players towering over their leads unless that’s part of the character description. So it wouldn’t surprise me if David’s official height of 6’4” was fudged toward the lower end. Still, he looks right around 6’4” to me in photos so I do expect this is a typo or something.

He doesn't look similar in height to Jacob Elordi (6'7") so I'm inclined to think this is an error by his trainer.

Skyfall is one of the best Bond films despite the fact that Craig has an unflattering haircut and his suits fit horribly (the super skinny cut also make no sense for a character who represents the old way of doing things in the story).

Just looking up images of Craig, I'm not seeing anything particularly egregious about his fits. And a slim fitting does make sense. There's a misconception that tight suits are hard to move in, but the opposite is true. The higher the armholes, for example, the easier it is to move your arms above your head, something James Bond would definitely require as he's jumping off cliffs, holding onto platforms, etc.

Just looking up images of Craig, I'm not seeing anything particularly egregious about his fits. And a slim fitting does make sense. There's a misconception that tight suits are hard to move in, but the opposite is true. The higher the armholes, for example, the easier it is to move your arms above your head, something James Bond would definitely require as he's jumping off cliffs, holding onto platforms, etc.
Sorry, but you are dead wrong (armhole has nothing to do with whether a suit is slim fit or not and is more indicative of RTW vs MTM or bespoke tailoring). I literally wear Savile Row suits daily for work and know exactly how they should fit, especially when it comes to an English aesthetic. There is proper slim fitting suits like what Lazenby wore in OHMSS or what Craig himself wore in QOS and then there is the horrendous shrunken suit trend of the 2010s.

Craig's suits from Skyfall onwards are egregiously poorly fitted. They are constantly pulling at the waist, riding up, etc., which is not conductive to movement.

Pulling at the button when standing relaxed is a bad fit:
Skyfall-Spectre-O-Connor-Suit-Comparison.jpg

Jacket riding up and gaping at the chest because it is too tight and not moving with Craig's body:
spectre-james-bond-mexico-city-daniel-craig-cr-courtesy.jpg

Sleeves crumpling and riding up is once again a sign of a poor fit:
Skyfall-Dinner-Suit-4.jpg

A jacket collar that stands away from the shirt collar is one of the most basic indications of a poor fit, it means the jacket collar and shoulders are not sitting properly):
no-time-to-die-barton-perreira-joe-sunglasses.jpg

Compare these to George Lazenby 's perfectly fitted bespoke slim cut suits remaining flawless in the middle of stunts and action sequences, including mid-leap:

31b808_ec609298e0954255865f84b6b3ebada2~mv2_d_6890_10392_s_4_2.jpg

31b808_d7001691ee1d4c3eb5259677b9ac8b92~mv2.png

Sorry, but you are dead wrong (armhole has nothing to do with whether a suit is slim fit or not and is more indicative of RTW vs MTM or bespoke tailoring). I literally wear Savile Row suits daily for work and know exactly how they should fit, especially when it comes to an English aesthetic. There is proper slim fitting suits like what Lazenby wore in OHMSS or what Craig himself wore in QOS and then there is the horrendous shrunken suit trend of the 2010s.

Craig's suits from Skyfall onwards are egregiously poorly fitted. They are constantly pulling at the waist, riding up, etc., which is not conductive to movement.

Pulling at the button when standing relaxed is a bad fit:
Skyfall-Spectre-O-Connor-Suit-Comparison.jpg

Jacket riding up and gaping at the chest because it is too tight and not moving with Craig's body:
spectre-james-bond-mexico-city-daniel-craig-cr-courtesy.jpg

Sleeves crumpling and riding up is once again a sign of a poor fit:
Skyfall-Dinner-Suit-4.jpg

A jacket collar that stands away from the shirt collar is one of the most basic indications of a poor fit, it means the jacket collar and shoulders are not sitting properly):
no-time-to-die-barton-perreira-joe-sunglasses.jpg

Compare these to George Lazenby 's perfectly fitted bespoke slim cut suits remaining flawless in the middle of stunts and action sequences, including mid-leap:

31b808_ec609298e0954255865f84b6b3ebada2~mv2_d_6890_10392_s_4_2.jpg

31b808_d7001691ee1d4c3eb5259677b9ac8b92~mv2.png

I forgot you were a suit-head. :-)

I forgot you were a suit-head. :-)
There is nothing wrong with slim fit suits if done right. It was also an odd choice for thematic reasons. In Skyfall, Bond is portrayed as old-fashioned and contrasted with the young Q, but he dresses like a trendy hipster, rather than a mature gentleman.

And this doesn't even get into the baffling aesthetic choices, like the fussy tab collar (from the 1920s), single vent on his dinner jackets (which is just incorrect, dinner jackets should only have double vents or no vent), American-style three button jackets, or the bad rental features on his white dinner jacket in Spectre like satin faced lapels and a two button front (white dinner jackets never have silk facings and a single breasted dinner jacket should always have one-button on the front).

There is nothing wrong with slim fit suits if done right. It was also an odd choice for thematic reasons. In Skyfall, Bond is portrayed as old-fashioned and contrasted with the young Q, but he dresses like a trendy hipster, rather than a mature gentleman.

And this doesn't even get into the baffling aesthetic choices, like the fussy tab collar (from the 1920s), single vent on his dinner jackets (which is just incorrect, dinner jackets should only have double vents or no vent), American-style three button jackets, or the bad rental features on his white dinner jacket in Spectre like satin faced lapels and a two button front (white dinner jackets never have silk facings and a single breasted dinner jacket should always have one-button on the front).
Ralph Fiennes was the best dressed man in that movie.

Ralph Fiennes was the best dressed man in that movie.
100%. That was because he was wearing bespoke suits from Savile Row-trained tailor, Timothy Everest.

Honestly, I didn't mind the TDK suit in the original reveal, but I came to really dislike it in the movie itself. A bad hero costume is an annoyance for me, but it obviously doesn't ruin the movie. Skyfall is one of the best Bond films despite the fact that Craig has an unflattering haircut and his suits fit horribly (the super skinny cut also make no sense for a character who represents the old way of doing things in the story).

I'll admit my reaction to this one is probably affected by the fact that I was so spoiled by The Batman, where not only are the characterizations spot-on but we have the best costume design in the history of the character (if not the genre). Jacqueline Durran is a genius and I really hope EON grabs her for the next Bond.
Hey, Craig's Bond hair was always on point you ****ing heathen, you barber blind philistine:o.

Funnily, I'm the opposite of you with the TDK suit. In still images it looks kinda lame to me but it's so functional in movement that in the actual flow of the film it looks mostly good. There are some gnarly close-ups on poor Bale though. It's probably inevitable that every actor is going to look dumb in the cowl in some shots because even Pattinson who got the best, least face mushy one looks like The Tick sometimes but Bale looks like his senile Grandma still think he's seven and is delightedly squishing his cheeks in her winkled old hands.

That’s what I suspect. That said, while short actors regularly fudge their height upwards in all “official” outlets, tall actors (say over 6’3”) also regularly fudge their heights downward because being “too tall” can lose people just as many opportunities as being “too short” in Hollywood. Nobody wants supporting players towering over their leads unless that’s part of the character description. So it wouldn’t surprise me if David’s official height of 6’4” was fudged toward the lower end. Still, he looks right around 6’4” to me in photos so I do expect this is a typo or something.
If you're trying to get hired by James Gunn you best be honest about your height or he'll have a ****ing twitter meltdown that you don't live up to his male beauty standards and might force him to use basic cinematic tricks that have worked for a century!

TDK suit totally fits the aesthetic and vibe Nolan was going for in that film. And I personally can’t see the suit in isolation divorcing it from the film itself, because the overall package is just so pleasing to me.

Hopefully that’s the same deal with this Superman suit.

Tom Cruise is 6'3'', FC. The Church of Scientology wouldn't lie. :o

@Boom On that same note, I really hope Gunn sticks to a New 52 style for Batman’s costume. Gray fabric, continuous cape and cowl, thinner cowl like Battinson’s. I’m tired of all the rubber and “armor.” It’s a fantasy. We don’t need “realism” with these costumes, especially not in an elevated universe involving superpowers and all sorts of crazy technology. It hasn’t been needed in the comics or the cartoons; why is film any different?

Also, if you give Batman a thinner costume, it makes acrobatics more realistic, something we probably haven’t seen portrayed because Film Batman is often lumbering around under 50-100 lbs of foam rubber. As for realism, I can accept that Wayne has enough resources that he can fabricate a lightweight but generally protective material.
I'd honestly be shocked if Gunn does anything other than some sort of high tech armor when it comes to Batman. The way he went out of his way to try to "ground" the Superman suit as much as possible makes me think he's just gonna double down on it even more when it comes to Batman who already has a long history of suits like that which allow for more ways in which to execute that type of "overdesign", and even tho it's a very sci fi universe, even Bloodsport's suit was completely overhauled from the comics to accomodate for more armor, and I'd say Bloodsport is the most similar thing he's done to a Batman-type character.

Also I really doubt he'll do blue. He seems very into the whole "dark creature of the night" thing for Batman (he called him that moniker in Peacemaker and in his Facebook rants on Batman 89 complaining about the way the neck didn't move) plus I think he'll want that contrast in colors between Batman and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"