Homecoming Vulture vs Doc Ock

After my first viewing, I think I'd say Ock instantaneously, but after seeing it again...

I'm gonna have to deliberate on this one for awhile.

Watch SM 2 then immediately watch Homecoming. You will see there is a great difference in the quality of the writing, acting. I'm giving this one to Michael Keaton, who can play a villain just as good as a hero.

Doc Ock being in the better film, having better action scenes, and maybe a bit better written role gives him the advantage.

Keaton as Vulture was great for what he had to work with though.

Equal billing.
They both look amazing.
Vulture has the best dramatic scene (the car).
Doc Ock has the best action scene (the train).
Can't separate them.

Equal billing for me because both Molina's Doc Ock and Keaton's Vulture were highly memorable, interesting antagonists who were well-acted and visually stunning.

I have to give this one to Keaton by a knock out. For one, this re-imagining of the character works better than a straight adaptation could, Keaton's performance puts it over the top and Watts' direction and the script make the character real in his menace while still being a guy using high tech wings to commit thefts of alien technology. Over all I just feel the cartoony vibe of the Raimi films in general has not aged well.

Over all I just feel the cartoony vibe of the Raimi films in general has not aged well.

I'll admit that SM1 hasn't aged well (poor CG, Macy Gray) but SM2, for me, is timeless because it has such a 'Silver Age' vibe to it.

I love how we can debate whether Homecoming is better than one of the greatest comic book adaptations of all time. Goes to show how top notch the movie turned out to be!!! Hopefully it just gets better for Spidey and the rest of the MCU heck I'm looking forward to the Venom movie directed by the guy behind Zombieland and starring a very talented actor in his own respect.

I did not like how Doc Ock flip flopped from good to bad and back to good. Toomes on the other hand was a more natural mix of selfish and redemptive qualities.

Alfred Molina is a great actor but I felt that his Doc Ock wasn't menacing enough. Sure the train scene is memorable but it still annoys me that Peter was unmasked among all the people on the train. Admittedly, it's still a great scene but a man can nitpick, can't he?! So sure, Otto lost his wife, did Harry's bidding in catching Spider-Man for him which seems out of character for Doctor Octopus and while May has been abducted numerous times in the comics, I did not like the execution in how she was abducted by Ock. Yup, that was rather cartoonish so while I oughta side with Michael Keaton's amazing portrayal of Adrian Toomes, I chose equal billing for now. ;)

What Keaton did with Vulture was terrific, but not nearly as sublime as Doc Ock. What Molina gave us was a landmark performance.

I feel that Vulture is a better developed character in Homecoming. I actually feel his motives are better told.

But, Molina as Ock was just awesome. Any shortcomings are done away with with his look, his menace and his action scenes.

Both are pretty awsome. But Vulture, for me, is better developed in Homecoming.

Vulture easily, I enjoyed Doc Ock but the chip takes away from him. Vulture did everything on his own and that one scene was just amazing.

I voted for the Vulture.

I think he has a more interesting motivation than Doc Ock, who just went insane because of his gear, and I like Keaton's acting better than Molina's. It's not really that Molina does anything bad, he has a good performance but he just has always felt slightly off to me in that role.

I'd actually love to see a fight between the two. I think Doc Ock would rip Vulture apart before he got close though.

Doc ock but its close and that is saying something the fact it is even close because Vulture is one of spiderman's most lame bad guys and Doc ock is one of his best so the fact it is even close is impressive and its not like its close because they messed up ock or something. Its close because they took a very lame bad guy in Vulture and made him great. Its an example of how you can take a lame character and make them good if you have good writing.

I'd actually love to see a fight between the two. I think Doc Ock would rip Vulture apart before he got close though.

Eh... Vulture has the long range advantage and access to weapons that could literally smoke Ock from a distance. Remember what "shockingly " happened to one of Toomes crew?

Ock hands down. Nothing beats the train scene, nothing... Especially the Spider-Man 2.1 version.

Ock hands down. Nothing beats the train scene, nothing... Especially the Spider-Man 2.1 version.

It's a really good scene but one that would have been better with Tom in it instead of Tobey. It gets quite comical when the people see him without his hood and someone goes "it's just a kid", when Tobey actually looks like the 30 year old man that he was at the time.

It's great that we don't have to go the Beverly Hills 90210 route anymore and have people over a decade too old to play teenager parts.

Eh... Vulture has the long range advantage and access to weapons that could literally smoke Ock from a distance. Remember what "shockingly " happened to one of Toomes crew?

Yeah, the Vulture is clearly the more dangerous of the two. Even just his wings seem at least as powerful as Doc Ock's arms, and he has the advantage of speed and flight.

If he's using those weapons then he definitely has the edge, but if it's just wings vs tentacles I think Ock would rip him outta the sky before he could touch him. Then again Ock is kind of slow...it's be a cool fight, lol.

I think if we had gotten Master Planner ock, this conversation would be different. But that's not what we got.

*Looks at poll*

13 years later and Ock can still hold his own against the new kid on the block. That's the power of a truly great villain. I wonder will Vulture be able to hold a poll like this in 13 years time.

*Looks at poll*

13 years later and Ock can still hold his own against the new kid on the block. That's the power of a truly great villain. I wonder will Vulture be able to hold a poll like this in 13 years time.

I think it's pretty expected for a character in a beloved movie, that came out in a time where there was less competition and it being easier to stand out, will be competitive. On top of the merits of the character there's also nostalgia, which is easily as powerful as the sense of being new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"