Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm Mobile!

Ha! Herr Logan, got curious about the link on your sig (slooow day), and was surprised to be so entertained by this silly little thread. (I so rarely leave the comics section.) Congrats, my man!

I'm not surprised, with the amount of mass transit in some of those densely populated northeastern cities, that people are able to put off learning to drive. Take Spider-man for example... You're in good company.

Me, I got my license at sweet 16... in Southern California, baby! Yea, it was like being tossed in a lake and told to swim. We hit the freeways on day 3 of drivers ed. Now that was crazy! And yes, I was scared to death, but it was sink or swim.

It's strange... I'm pretty old fashioned, sometimes shy, and fairly girly girl, but there are contradictions... I like Spider-man, I'm a natural on a horse, and I now drive like a bat outta hell!

I sympathize with you though... learning to drive AND trying to navigate a big confusing freeway system. And don't the lanes seem so NARROW when your the one behind the wheel? But, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Be careful and keep us posted... "posted," get it. :)

Captivated said:
Ha! Herr Logan, got curious about the link on your sig (slooow day), and was surprised to be so entertained by this silly little thread. (I so rarely leave the comics section.) Congrats, my man!

I'm not surprised, with the amount of mass transit in some of those densely populated northeastern cities, that people are able to put off learning to drive. Take Spider-man for example... You're in good company.

Me, I got my license at sweet 16... in Southern California, baby! Yea, it was like being tossed in a lake and told to swim. We hit the freeways on day 3 of drivers ed. Now that was crazy! And yes, I was scared to death, but it was sink or swim.

It's strange... I'm pretty old fashioned, sometime shy, and fairly girly girl, but there are contradictions... I like Spider-man, I'm a natural on a horse, and I now drive like a bat outta hell!

I sympathize with you though... learning to drive AND trying to navigate a big confusing freeway system. And don't the lanes seem so NARROW when your the one driving. But, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Be careful and keep us posted... "posted," get it. :)

*falls out of chair laughing*

Yep, I get it. ;) :D

Thanks for showing up, Captivated. Apparently the celebration of a 23 year-old getting his driver's license and ownership of a 12 year-old station wagon isn't everybody's idea of a good time. Bastards. :o

:wolverine

Well, you haven't KNOWN excitement till you've driven a 10 year old Honda Accord... I've thought about getting a new one, but, actually, REAL excitement is any car that's PAID for!

Your honesty about your anxiety was charming... It's been more than a week, any progress?

Captivated said:
Well, you haven't KNOWN excitement till you've driven a 10 year old Honda Accord... I've thought about getting a new one, but, actually, REAL excitement is any car that's PAID for!

Your honesty about your anxiety was charming... It's been more than a week, any progress?

Charming? :(

I got lost in the woods in the rain several miles away from my intended destination (home) a week or two ago, and I haven't done much driving since. I've also been sick. Today I've venturing out again, and I don't expect there will be any problems, since I'm pretty much well again and have made this trip successfully before.

Hey, not to worry, your rep as a surly, critical bastard is still intack. :cool:

Just saying, your unpretentious honesty about your struggles was refreshing...

unpretentious -- (lacking pretension or affectation; honest, modest, unpompous

honest -- (without pretensions)

honest, veracious -- (habitually speaking the truth; "an honest man"; "a veracious witness")

honest -- (marked by truth; "gave honest answers")

charming -- (pleasing or delighting) ;)
[size=-1]
[/size]endear -- (make attractive or lovable; "This behavior endeared him to me")

adorable, endearing, lovely -- (lovable especially in a childlike or naive way)

Captivated said:
Hey, not to worry, your rep as a surly, critical bastard is still intack. :cool:

Just saying, your unpretentious honesty about your struggles was refreshing...

unpretentious -- (lacking pretension or affectation; honest, modest, unpompous

honest -- (without pretensions)

honest, veracious -- (habitually speaking the truth; "an honest man"; "a veracious witness")

honest -- (marked by truth; "gave honest answers")

charming -- (pleasing or delighting) ;)
[size=-1]
[/size]endear -- (make attractive or lovable; "This behavior endeared him to me")

adorable, endearing, lovely -- (lovable especially in a childlike or naive way)

Thanks for the clarification.

I especially love that last one. :mad:

Nice to know I'm not the only person who has a huge vocab.

Congrats!

Herr Logan said:
Thanks for the clarification.

I especially love that last one. :mad:

Sorry Herr, my age is showing... I AM old enough to be... your MUCH older sister (yea, that's it).

Captivated said:
Sorry Herr, my age is showing... I AM old enough to be... your MUCH older sister (yea, that's it).

Condescending, much older sister.

Herr Logan said:
Condescending, much older sister.

:confused: I meant it as a compliment... but, I'll just toddle back to the comic boards now...

Captivated said:
:confused: I meant it as a compliment... but, I'll just toddle back to the comic boards now...

Well hell, I can't tell if you mean it as a compliment or not when you throw out words like "naive" and "childlike." Also, "adorable" is one of my favorite words when I get condescending with people.

Yeah, I'm upfront about my problems with anxiety and depression because I don't see any need to hide them. I don't need to pretend I'm something I'm not. If that makes me naive, it's news to me.

Herr Logan said:
Well hell, I can't tell if you mean it as a compliment or not when you throw out words like "naive" and "childlike." Also, "adorable" is one of my favorite words when I get condescending with people.

Yeah, I'm upfront about my problems with anxiety and depression because I don't see any need to hide them. I don't need to pretend I'm something I'm not. If that makes me naive, it's news to me.

Stand down soldier... I was just trying to put "charming" in context, remember... Consider the source... Why would I be trying to insult you? (You know I find you to be one of the more articulate, creative and entertaining folks at the Hype.)

I wasn't calling you naive,* it just happend to be part of the definition of another word. And childlike is not "childish." I'll have to cut and paste more carefully in the future... especially now that I see you're obviously a little shell shocked from "board battles." Context is everything... try to read it in context...

Friends again? :cool:

*1. naive (as used to define endearing) -- marked by or showing unaffected, sincere and genuine simplicity; lack of guile (this is a good thing).

The first car I got was a 1980 Pontiac Firebird...those were the days...

Captivated said:
Stand down soldier... I was just trying to put "charming" in context, remember... Consider the source... Why would I be trying to insult you? (You know I find you to be one of the more articulate, creative and entertaining folks at the Hype.)

I wasn't calling you naive,* it just happend to be part of the definition of another word. And childlike is not "childish." I'll have to cut and paste more carefully in the future... especially now that I see you're obviously a little shell shocked from "board battles." Context is everything... try to read it in context...

Friends again? :cool:

*1. naive (as used to define endearing) -- marked by or showing unaffected, sincere and genuine simplicity; lack of guile (this is a good thing).

Sorry for being defensive, Cap. I appreciate that. Friends again. :cool:

I just remembered that I'd opened this thread after I finally got my driver's license and ownership of that car. So much for that. :(

A little while ago, my car was pronounced totaled. It's a Toyota Camry station wagon that's 13 years old, has some body damage, and is worth all of $1500.

It needs $2700 worth of work to be considered drivable again.

Sure, my live-in girlfriend has a car, I've got a spare key, and I've driven it before, but after what I did to the underside of my car (the reason it needs such expensive repairs), I'm scared to drive it.

I'm a freakin' pedestrian again. The only thing more distressing than that right now is the fact that I'm taking a 6-week condensed version of Statistics for Criminology and Criminal Justice over the summer-- a class I had to withdraw from a year ago to avoid failing. I suck at math. So now I have to take public transportation again after knowing the terrors and joys of driving, just to get to a class that threatens my academic career.

Just thought this once-hopeful story needed its inevitable, gloomy ending. Carry on.

What in the world did you do to the underside? :confused:

Wolfwood said:
What in the world did you do to the underside? :confused:

Ran over a couple o' curbs. Messed up the front end real bad (axel, the thing that covers the axel, engine mount, the exhaust system). :o

Herr Logan said:
Ran over a couple o' curbs. Messed up the front end real bad (axel, the thing that covers the axel, engine mount, the exhaust system). :o

Wow...I guess I ran over the curb a few times too when I started driving, luckily I had a big truck so it didn't matter much. Maybe that would suit you better, sure there'd be a better chance of more property damage, but atleast your truck could take it. :up:

Wolfwood said:
Wow...I guess I ran over the curb a few times too when I started driving, luckily I had a big truck so it didn't matter much. Maybe that would suit you better, sure there'd be a better chance of more property damage, but atleast your truck could take it. :up:

I have very poor aptitude for spacial relationship perception (one reason I waited so long to get my license in the first place, and why I hit that last curb), so I don't want to try to drive anything bigger than a station wagon.

Drakon said:
If we ever meet, we're taking the bus. ;)

I'm not saying my travel-related troubles are worse than yours, man. It's just that getting my license, getting good enough at driving so that some of it becomes reflexive and not running the car into something most of the time-- that was a real victory for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"