We are Amazons!! The Queen Hippolyta and the Amazonian's Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because she became immortal at that age? And half these actresses do not even look 40.

Go back to the first page, post #7 and see the ages listed and look at current pictures of some of those actresses faces. They do look their age. Not that that is a bad thing, but for this role I am of the opinion that an actress that is at best ten years older than Gal would fit the bill nicely.

I am sorry, but I think the fan casting here is really just an exercise in rose colored nostalgia for some. Carter? Zeta-Jones? BULLOCK? Fine actresses, in good shape for women of their age but none of them scream immortal Amazon Queen to me. Try to remember that time catches most of our fave celebs. Many seem to just be recycling their WW picks from 10 to 15 years ago. Many even then were not a good fit.

As for changing the nature of Hippolyta's agelessness or the like? If it could be done well, or even made a plot point, maybe. But why go through the convolutions and just cast someone in their mid to late 30's that has a more mature but not excessively older look as compared to Gal? Also remember, this is the "Odin" role in the WW films. I think Diana's mother, as she has been throughout her pop culture existence, is a key part of WW's supporting cast. I say cast the part with an eye toward the future. You would want this actress to look reasonable in the role for a considerable period of time, were talking 7-10 years if Hippolyta is in 3 WW films. This is just my opinion. Maybe a Kim Basinger or a Bullock could knock it out of the park. My gut tells me different though.

I don't think we'll see Hippolyta or any other Amazon in MOS2, but for Hippolyta in the possible solo Wonder Woman film, I'd like to see Lucy Lawless or Cate Blanchett.

One has the "geek cred" and one has the "Oscar cred".

Go back to the first page, post #7 and see the ages listed and look at current pictures of some of those actresses faces. They do look their age. Not that that is a bad thing, but for this role I am of the opinion that an actress that is at best ten years older than Gal would fit the bill nicely.

I am sorry, but I think the fan casting here is really just an exercise in rose colored nostalgia for some. Carter? Zeta-Jones? BULLOCK? Fine actresses, in good shape for women of their age but none of them scream immortal Amazon Queen to me. Try to remember that time catches most of our fave celebs. Many seem to just be recycling their WW picks from 10 to 15 years ago. Many even then were not a good fit.

As for changing the nature of Hippolyta's agelessness or the like? If it could be done well, or even made a plot point, maybe. But why go through the convolutions and just cast someone in their mid to late 30's that has a more mature but not excessively older look as compared to Gal? Also remember, this is the "Odin" role in the WW films. I think Diana's mother, as she has been throughout her pop culture existence, is a key part of WW's supporting cast. I say cast the part with an eye toward the future. You would want this actress to look reasonable in the role for a considerable period of time, were talking 7-10 years if Hippolyta is in 3 WW films. This is just my opinion. Maybe a Kim Basinger or a Bullock could knock it out of the park. My gut tells me different though.

All very good points you have made KRYPTON INC...I would not disagree with you in terms of looking at this role and selecting an actress of considerable notoriety and gravitas to portray the Queen of the Amazons. In my eyes I see that as an oscar winning actress. With that being said I do feel an actress in her 40's (and dear I say it very very early 50's) can more than fit the role and still look 'timeless'.

Immortality should not be confused with agelessness. A person can live forever but still reflect (to a far lesser degree) the passage of time. If we are basing DC's 'immortality look' on say for instance their Kingdom Come counterparts, Superman and Wonder Woman both look 'older' than their current young selves, carrying a maturer look to them. They are not 'petrified' immortal in terms of how vampires are often portrayed.

Hippolyta was already a mature 'cavewoman' when she was granted immortality by the Gods. They did not reverse time for her but rather ****** the aging process. At present she is suppose to be roughly about 32,000 years old. Casting a 'young looking' 40s actress I feel would deliver the quality of the character that we all hope to see Hippolyta portrayed as.

It does leaves me to wonder then KRYPTON, who do you see fitting in the role?

Cast all of them in the Wonder Woman movie and it would the WB's answer to Nu Vision/Millenium Films Expendables franchise.

female-expendables.jpg

Casting for the Wonder Woman film could be alot of fun.
I'd personally like to see plenty of women in plenty of characters with someone like Blanchet in the villain role.

Through the miracle of modern technology and brilliant make-up artists, a number of the 'older' actresses we have cast for Hippolyta can easily look 10 years younger on film.

Last edited:
As for Amanda Righetti pic above John had the right idea, I might have used this gif, though

p.gif

All very good points you have made KRYPTON INC...I would not disagree with you in terms of looking at this role and selecting an actress of considerable notoriety and gravitas to portray the Queen of the Amazons. In my eyes I see that as an oscar winning actress. With that being said I do feel an actress in her 40's (and dear I say it very very early 50's) can more than fit the role and still look 'timeless'.

Immortality should not be confused with agelessness. A person can live forever but still reflect (to a far lesser degree) the passage of time. If we are basing DC's 'immortality look' on say for instance their Kingdom Come counterparts, Superman and Wonder Woman both look 'older' than their current young selves, carrying a maturer look to them. They are not 'petrified' immortal in terms of how vampires are often portrayed.

Hippolyta was already a mature 'cavewoman' when she was granted immortality by the Gods. They did not reverse time for her but rather ****** the aging process. At present she is suppose to be roughly about 32,000 years old. Casting a 'young looking' 40s actress I feel would deliver the quality of the character that we all hope to see Hippolyta portrayed as.

It does leaves me to wonder then KRYPTON, who do you see fitting in the role?

First off pf, thanks for making this a mutually respectful sharing of ideas and not just a "debate". I really appreciate that.

As for my own druthers? Well, I will lay the ground work by saying, I am not totally convinced that Awards season caliber actresses are exactly what is needed. Now I know I compared the part to Odin from Marvel's Thor. And I think the similarities are there, but I don't think you need a female Hopkins equivalent. I think a Cate B. or her ilk are, well, just not quite the right fit for myself when I think of a character that indeed was a world class butt kicker herself back in the day. I know we as fans want Oscar winning or nominated actors for CBM's but some roles don't always require it and it, also those actors tend to skew towards the over 40 crowd. Like I stated before I think an actress close or just a little older than Gal would be my choice. Now I am totally prepared to get rapped on the mouth for my choices but here goes:

BERENICE MARLOHE (Born 1979. Best known for SKYFALL)

RHONA MITRA (Born 1976. Best known for STRIKBACK tv series)

CLAUDIA BLACK (Born 1972. Best known for FARSCAPE tv series)

I think they are all decent to good actresses that can give off regal but tough and perhaps even a little world weary. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and all that. They don't look like the all American mom types I've seen on the previous pages, Monica B. notwithstanding. I'm also of the mind that the reason that you can get away with casting a non Awards bait type actress for Hippolyta is because that is the type you get to play the villainess role. I am currently on a J-Law for Circe or Cheetah kick myself. But I would be actually happy if some of the choices seen here for Hippolyta were repurposed for that or a similar type role. Cate B. or Nicole Kidman, or Bullock as the villainess in a WW movie? Count me in, especially since the villainess is most likely going to get a heck of a lot more screen time than WW's mother would anyway.

So that's what I think. I am now prepared to be stoned by the masses for my choices. :word: :woot:

Through the miracle of modern technology and brilliant make-up artists, a number of the 'older' actresses we have cast for Hippolyta can easily look 10 years younger on film.

Not to mention that 40 into 50 is not that big of a stretch looks wise like it was a decade ago. Most of them will have not changed that much except for maybe an added wrinkle.

Agreed but some people don't get that it seems and that goes for any actors male or female. :funny:

My two cents on that?

1. David E. Kelly Wonder Woman pilot.

2. She is 49.

I really hope there aren't a slew of Amazonians...but I would not be surprised.

I really hope there aren't a slew of Amazonians...but I would not be surprised.

We are now where near knowing how much WW and/or her supporting cast will even figure into Supes/Bats. I have to say though, that the way the WW DTV ended, with an Amazonian army showing up to turn the tide would not bother me. To me, that's kind of what Thor and WW bring to the table in the way. Having access to their home's armies is sort of one of their super powers. At any moment they could call on a powerful and experienced mythological army. That's rad in my book. Though for a superhero team up film or her first solo movie I also would understand not wanting that for a lot of reasons.

I didn't realise that Amazonians can't age.

It's a long time part of the WW mythos, and has lead to some fuzziness about Diana's actual age. Pre-Nu 52 they never really gave a satisfying answer as to when her mother fashioned her out of clay and the gods gave her life. Was that centuries ago, or was she in fact brought to life a little under ten years after Bruce Wayne was born and Kal-el's rocket landed on the Kent farm? There is only one thing published that was absolute on that. I believe the time line in THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE published post COIE. But it's never stated outright as far as I remember in a story so it leaves things unsaid that should be more sharply drawn I think.

Within the DCAU, I'm pretty sure that hippolyta has white hair.

Within the DCAU, I'm pretty sure that hippolyta has white hair.

That's blonde hair in the Timmverse friend, because he was homaging how Diana's mom was drawn during the classic silver age. Though she was drawn with black hair in the Golden Age.

Finally, read Kingdom Come. At the end, Bruce deduces Diana's pregnancy from the fact that she has lost her virginity and has started aging and getting gray hair.

That's blonde hair in the Timmverse friend, because he was homaging how Diana's mom was drawn during the classic silver age. Though she was drawn with black hair in the Golden Age.

Finally, read Kingdom Come. At the end, Bruce deduces Diana's pregnancy from the fact that she has lost her virginity and has started aging and getting gray hair.

I'm pretty sure she aged later in the series when Diana returned to the island?

Monica Bellucci.

Catherine Zeta-Jones could be good too.

I'm pretty sure she aged later in the series when Diana returned to the island?

I believe you are very mistaken. The last time she appeared on JLU was the episode where Diana teams with Shayera to battle Felix Faust in the underworld.

As for Amazons being ageless... If you don't believe me just, ya know, wiki it, or pick up the TPB of PEREZ's first issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"