World Web shooter shop class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search "steam punk watch gears". Also, are you trying to extract CO2 from soda? That seems like a lot of work considering that CO2 cartridges are sold on the cheap. What part of your prototype are you working on and with what function does it serve?

The movie shooter holds no example or plausibility.
The only thing it gave us was the genious idea of a microcontroller.
Trying to get it as exact as the movie shooter will only get you a prop guys.

Search "steam punk watch gears". Also, are you trying to extract CO2 from soda? That seems like a lot of work considering that CO2 cartridges are sold on the cheap. What part of your prototype are you working on and with what function does it serve?
I'm working on the cartridges,they are crystal oscillators I did a pressure test a few days back and they hold the CO2 pretty good in my opinion(really).I also solder the cap and the casing together when I hold the crystal oscillator with my pliers.

Hey WhiteWidow where can I buy mechanical watch's gears and gear barrels,just the gears from the watch and could there be an easier way to get CO2 from fizzy can drinks because I saw that peter has lots of fizzy drinks on his workplace.Sorry if I can't upload the pic of the workplace there was something wrong with the URL in Ithe website but you'll find the
image when you google search
'the amazing spiderman
webshooters'.

I use this drink think that mix your flavors then you add co2

I'm working on the cartridges,they are crystal oscillators I did a pressure test a few days back and they hold the CO2 pretty good in my opinion(really).I also solder the cap and the casing together when I hold the crystal oscillator with my pliers.

Frankly, that's a waste of a good oscillator, and of good money. You could just use some scrap metal from piping or something, if you're going to do it that way.

Does anyone know where I can buy a solenoid valve or have a link to a tutorial on how to make one?

I have a sort of random question. If we were to use backpack tanks, what would they need to be pressurized to? I know Parker's cartridges were pressurized to 300 psi, but would that carry over the same for a backpack tank?

I'm sort of basing my tank design off of weed sprayers that pressurize themselves (no manual pumping required), and I've found that most of them get pressurized to around 40 psi. However, some are described to shoot up to 30 feet.

So, I guess the ultimate question is: Is it necessary to pressurize the cartridges/tank to such a high pressure, or did Parker pressurize his to 300 psi so he could further compress the web fluid to allow more fluid in a cartridge?

The movie shooter holds no example or plausibility.
The only thing it gave us was the genious idea of a microcontroller.
Trying to get it as exact as the movie shooter will only get you a prop guys.

This is so true. Listen to webs.

Anyway, about the tank. Pressure ain't no thing. Remember though. The reason Peter needed the pressure is because the webbing was viscous. It might work for you because your fluid is thin.

Also look up miniature solenoid valve.

So, extrusion. We haven't talked about that. What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_(polymers)#Gel_spinning

Dry spinning
Dry spinning is also used for polymers that must be dissolved in solvent. It differs in that the solidification is achieved through evaporation of the solvent. This is usually achieved by a stream of air or inert gas. Because there is no precipitating liquid involved, the fiber does not need to be dried, and the solvent is more easily recovered.

Gel spinning
Gel spinning, also known as dry-wet spinning, is used to obtain high strength or other special properties in the fibers. The polymer is in a "gel" state, only partially liquid, which keeps the polymer chains somewhat bound together. These bonds produce strong inter-chain forces in the fiber, which increase its tensile strength. The polymer chains within the fibers also have a large degree of orientation, which increases strength. The fibers are first air dried, then cooled further in a liquid bath. Some high strength polyethylene and aramid fibers are produced via this process.

Personally, I like these two methods, but those who prefer heating, there are options.

Yeah I read about that, but for the life of me I couldn't think of a way to successfully integrate these methods into the shooters. I can see how dry spinning may work, but gel spinning may produce more desirable results, don't you think? It produces fibers with higher tensile strengths, so I think it's preferable over dry spinning. But the gel spinning process involves submersion of the fibers in a liquid bath... Did you have any ideas?

But the gel spinning process involves submersion of the fibers in a liquid bath... Did you have any ideas?

A cold liquid bath. That's the important bit. CO2 can be liquefied if used with dry ice or co2 mixed with water.

Huh, I never thought about that. Nice.
Wait, does "cooled further in a liquid bath" imply that there is heat involved?

Perhaps, I think that in the case of Polyethylene yes. I guess it depends on the gel.

Hmm... I'll look into that. It seems like PVOH can be gel spun as well. I'm leaning towards that one, but I'll still research other gels too and see what I can find.

I'm a bigger fan of various cellulose products. Hemp plastic is as strong as some types of steel. Nano-cellulose is stronger than cast iron and just under kevlar. Wood is near that of steel. Cellulose acetate is considered synthetic silk. It's biodegradable, it's strong, and if I can figure out how to do it, you can create it from grass.

Last edited:
http://technolgytheorist.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d41my3k

Could anyone explain this to me in further detail? I understand how it's supposed to work. The motor spins the teflon ring. I just don't understand how it could work. What is keeping the teflon ring attached to the spinneret, and from falling off? It can't be nailed down by anything because it needs to spin. How does that work?

http://technolgytheorist.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d41my3k

Could anyone explain this to me in further detail? I understand how it's supposed to work. I just don't understand how it could work. How does that work?

Well now. Next time you get a chance, look at a spinner ring or more easily, a soda bottle. Now the little spiky ring that used to connect to the cap can spin, but there's no screws? Yup. That is because it's stick on an I. Look at the letter I. There is a base and a top and a middle. The ring would be on the middle. The base and the top would be about the same. there would be holes in the base as to allow the fluid to travel through both the middle, and through the ring so that the strands could wrap.

Ok I think I get it now. Could a belt drive be used to spin the ring instead of the motor directly spinning it?

I guess so, but doesn't it take a motor to make a belt drive?

Yes, it does. I just think using the belt would help keep the ring and the motor from degrading.

I've finished the cartridge but when I insert it into the steel nipple at the back,it managed to pierce the cover of the cartridge but the fluid and CO2 shot out everywhere with high strengh twice,got any tips to prevent that from happening(don't worry I wore my safety goggles) and could you tell me ways to mold aluminium at home.

Put a rubber ring on the inside of the opening where you put the cartridge in.

I've finished the cartridge but when I insert it into the steel nipple at the back,it managed to pierce the cover of the cartridge but the fluid and CO2 shot out everywhere with high strengh twice,got any tips to prevent that from happening(don't worry I wore my safety goggles) and could you tell me ways to mold aluminium at home.

Are you serious? Well, ok then. So take a dremel or file and make the point that the nipple is supposed puncture thinner than the rest of the cartridge. No one here knows how to mill aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"