Weezer's new CD (the red album)

American_Idiot

Sidekick
Reaction score
Any Weezer fans out there?

What are your thoughts on the new disc?

I still have to give it a few more spins before I can give a full review, but after my first listen, the standout tracks for me are:

Troublemaker - Great song to kick the album off with. Classic Weezer sound. 5/5
The Greatest Man That Ever Lived - Humorous lyrics w/ an all-around catchy tune. 5/5
Pork & Beans - The single. A little tired of it already, but a good song nonetheless. 4/5

The rest of the songs I'm still not sure about just quite yet. It's no blue, green album, or Pinkerton for that matter, but maybe it'll grow. I'll post again after a second time through.

518hAqGOVeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

i've been listening to weezer for at least a decade now, and pinkerton is one of my top 5 favorite albums ever... however, the only songs off this new album that i can honestly say i enjoy are pork and beans and the greatest man in the world...

I hate Pork and Beans...

Its not out in the UK yet :(

im looking forward to getting it tough, Pork and Beans is brilliant and by the sound of things they are back to more of their orgional sound, rather than the rather awful 'Make Belive'.

I like that new song that Rivers is writing with his fans on youtube. ''Turn up the Radio''

Wait the CD alreasy got released, I didn't even know. I'll go check it out then.

I thought they split up , like 2 yrs ago

weezer shoulda stopped after pinkerton.

Riiight. :whatever:

The blue album, the green album, and Pinkerton were all damn near perfect albums, imo. Maladriot was a good listen through and through and Make Believe had some really great songs, but as a whole, wasn't as good as those three albums, imo. This new album starts off strong, but has a few tracks that just don't do it for me.

Still, there are a number of songs on the new disc that could/should end up on a Greatest Hits someday.

Nothing will ever be better than Pinkerton, but I might check it out now that I have to start buying my music...

Is it just me, or is the cover the most laughable thing anyone else has ever seen? In the time they were broken up it would appear they all turned into ironic hipster *****ebags. Look at that cowboy hat and mustache for gods sake. Nothing says "I am ironic and also a *****ebag" more than a guy in a rock band dressing like that.

Is it just me, or is the cover the most laughable thing anyone else has ever seen? In the time they were broken up it would appear they all turned into ironic hipster *****ebags. Look at that cowboy hat and mustache for gods sake. Nothing says "I am ironic and also a *****ebag" more than a guy in a rock band dressing like that.

Weezer are known as "nerd-rock" so the new album cover only reinforces that.

Look at their first CD jacket, the blue album; they looked like a bunch of dorks, but people loved them anyway.
Rivers knows that he'll never be cool, and he doesn't try. Yeah, on the new album cover they still all look like dorks, *****ebags, geeks....whatever word you prefer to use, but fans will love them regardless.

They don't look like nerds or geeks though. Well, Rivers does, but he always does. The cowboy hat guy looks like a pretentious hipster. Like he has a big poster of Diablo Cody up in his room, and wears Transformers t-shirts, not cause he likes Transformers, but because he's trying to be ironic with it. I want to stab him in the face.

i heard this album was different because there was alot of expirementation from different memebers of the band. So some fans will be divided on how they feel about it .

i'll always enjoy the blue album the best. i think since then they've had a couple songs on every album i like but i felt somewhat dissapointed.

I loved the blue album, I'll be sure to check this one out.

I've liked Weezer since blue and their best is obviously Pinkerton. I enjoy the red album just make sure you get the deluxe edition(same price). Added to the deluxe are Miss Sweeny, Pig and King which all are great. They should be in the regular version instead of a couple of those songs. The deluxe is definatly far superior the standard. Def. not like there old stuff but if you want a band to sound the same go listen to Disturbed.

i heard this album was different because there was alot of expirementation from different memebers of the band. So some fans will be divided on how they feel about it .

i'll always enjoy the blue album the best. i think since then they've had a couple songs on every album i like but i felt somewhat dissapointed.

Everyone has at least one song on the record.

i heard the mustache was kinda a tradition thing. his dad had a mustache when he was born and he's having a daughter now so he's sporting the dad 'stache. i like it :o

Even the weaker albums Weezer puts out are better than 95% of the other mainstream rock albums out today, imo. Its rare that I come across a rock album that has really, more than six memorable songs. Thats not to say the other half of these albums are bad; these other songs are just kinda "filler material"; they're okay, just easily forgettable.

Weezer's blue album raised the bar pretty high for the band, and who knows if they'll ever top it. Some fans might say they did with Pinkerton, but for arguments sake, both of these albums are nearly flawless. I felt the same way about the green album, though there were some complaints from a number of fans when that came out too.

Back to the new (red) album. It is what it is. The guys look nerdy as usual on the album cover. Yes, Rivers is sportin' a cowboy hat and a 'stache, and still looks nerdy to me. I don't see it as him trying to be cool, hip, or anything other than a guy who doesn't care what people think about him. The album contains some really cool, catchy, and memorable tracks, and also has more than a couple songs that are just...okay when put against their early work.

I think Weezer are actually one of the handful of bands to emerge in the past decade who will stand the test of time. Even if this ends up being their last album (which is doubtful), their name will be one that most rock fans will remember 20-30 years from now. They've influenced modern rock as we know it, as many bands (Deftones included) will site them as an influence.

Even the weaker albums Weezer puts out are better than 95% of the other mainstream rock albums out today, imo. Its rare that I come across a rock album that has really, more than six memorable songs. Thats not to say the other half of these albums are bad; these other songs are just kinda "filler material"; they're okay, just easily forgettable.

Weezer's blue album raised the bar pretty high for the band, and who knows if they'll ever top it. Some fans might say they did with Pinkerton, but for arguments sake, both of these albums are nearly flawless. I felt the same way about the green album, though there were some complaints from a number of fans when that came out too.

Back to the new (red) album. It is what it is. The guys look nerdy as usual on the album cover. Yes, Rivers is sportin' a cowboy hat and a 'stache, and still looks nerdy to me. I don't see it as him trying to be cool, hip, or anything other than a guy who doesn't care what people think about him. The album contains some really cool, catchy, and memorable tracks, and also has more than a couple songs that are just...okay when put against their early work.

I think Weezer are actually one of the handful of bands to emerge in the past decade who will stand the test of time. Even if this ends up being their last album (which is doubtful), their name will be one that most rock fans will remember 20-30 years from now. They've influenced modern rock as we know it, as many bands (Deftones included) will site them as an influence.

They're under contract for one more album. After that they have been quoted as saying they are going to go the NIN, Radiohead way after the 7th album and release them through the internet.

I'm glad Weezer got back together and they are definitely one of my favorite bands (although the song "Beverly Hills" didn't do it for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"