Weezer's new CD (the red album)

After listening to the album a few more times through, I realize there are a few more tracks that deserve a mention.

Heart Songs - A softer song that pays tribute to the artists who influenced Rivers/Weezer. 3/5

Everybody Get Dangerous - Along the lines of "Hash Pipe" and "We Are All On Drugs". 4/5

Cold Dark World - A song that grew on me. The vocals remind me of Modest Mouse. 5/5

Automatic - Another song that took a few listens before I was feeling it. A very different sounding song for Weezer altogether. 4/5

I like this album a lot. I've always been a long time Weezer fan so this album fit the bill. To me, it's not as strong as some of their other albums, but it is also a step up from "Make Believe". Over all, I liked it a lot.

I like this album a lot. I've always been a long time Weezer fan so this album fit the bill. To me, it's not as strong as some of their other albums, but it is also a step up from "Make Believe". Over all, I liked it a lot.

I don't understand where all the negative criticism following Make Believe came from. It almost seemed bandwagon to me. It was cool to like Pinkerton and uncool to like Make Believe. Lyrically, Pinkerton may have been more solid than Make Believe, but Make Believe still had that definitive Weezer sound, while at the same time, being a tad bit experimental. "Poppy"? Maybe, but Weezer have always had catchy radio-friendly rock tunes. Overall, I think Make Believe was a solid album, minus a few filler songs. I think some Weezer fans just get way too hyped up, thinking that each new album is going to be life-altering, and ultimately, set themselves up for disappointment.

As for the red album, its growing on me. Again, a few skippable tracks, but not a let-down by any means.

I enjoyed some songs off the Make Believe album but " Beverly Hills " wasnt one of them .

After buying the red album today and listening to it a couple of times i can definately say it has grown on me. It's a little different but definately enjoyable.

make believe, looking back, definitely had some awesome songs and it totally doesnt deserve all of the flack it took, i think it was just kinda missing some heart. i think they tried too hard to reach out and be something they're not. whereas now, they're in a different place in their lives, and they know that, and they embrace that. pinkerton will always be my favorite though. that one is just raw. anyways. did you buy the special edition? i heard that had all the best tracks on it. pretty much made the purchase worth it with those few songs alone.

I don't understand where all the negative criticism following Make Believe came from. It almost seemed bandwagon to me. It was cool to like Pinkerton and uncool to like Make Believe. Lyrically, Pinkerton may have been more solid than Make Believe, but Make Believe still had that definitive Weezer sound, while at the same time, being a tad bit experimental. "Poppy"? Maybe, but Weezer have always had catchy radio-friendly rock tunes. Overall, I think Make Believe was a solid album, minus a few filler songs. I think some Weezer fans just get way too hyped up, thinking that each new album is going to be life-altering, and ultimately, set themselves up for disappointment.

As for the red album, its growing on me. Again, a few skippable tracks, but not a let-down by any means.

I didn't hate Make Believe at all. In fact, I love a lot of songs off of it. It's just in my opinion, it is the weaker of all the Weezer albums. But still pretty damn good :up:

I just bought it and I'm listening to it right now. I'm on heart songs. So far, I love it. I thought the greatest man that ever lived was one of the best new songs I've heard in a long, long time. To me, their best albums are blue, pinkerton, and maladroit. The blue album was one of the first cd's I ever owned. I freakin loved maladroit. But I think I'm in the minority there.

I really dig "heart songs" , that gets alot of play in the car

I only have the Blue and Green albums. I liked both of them but was always cautious about buying any others.

From what I hear I should get Pinkerton at least? I've only heard the single "Beverly Hills" so I don't know about the rest of that album, "Make Believe".

^ Make Believe is not as bad as some people would have you believe. Its actually a good album, but by "Weezer standards", meaning fans expect EVERY SONG on the disc to be timeless, it might not live up to some of their other work. I think some fans panned it because...I don't know..."Beverly Hills" is too upbeat or "poppy" for what they want from Weezer. I like the song. Always have. Its upbeat, sure, "poppy" a little, but its meant to be ironic in nature, the lyrics are sarcastic, taking a jab at flashy people and things (including the music they listen to). Voila.

And the new red album is worth your $10. Definitely takes a few listens, but it grows on you.

Thanks American Idiot. I'll check them both out when I get a chance.

I really liked this album. Troublemaker and Everybody Get Dangerous are definate highlights for me...yet I'm not a big Weezer fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"