Were you the bully or the...."bullee" in school?

I hate when people say , " It's part of life". What a pathetic excuse to mistreat someone.

Did anyone experience the phenomenon of bullies letting up senior year. At my high school it seemed to die down once you got to senior year , like people just didn't care anymore or were getting sentimental.

I hate when people say , " It's part of life". What a pathetic excuse to mistreat someone.

Did anyone experience the phenomenon of bullies letting up senior year. At my high school it seemed to die down once you got to senior year , like people just didn't care anymore or were getting sentimental.

To a degree that was true. Cool people talked to me, even if it was just superficially. I remember one guy gave me crap and I told him what he could go do. He was stunned. Manning up helped a lot, too.

I hate to say it, but there were times when I was both bully and bullee.

Though I'm still in school, I have had some what I would call minor bullying, mainly in my first year of high school.

I only got verbal abuse, mainly just comments like "fat" and the stupid ones like calling me "Harry Potter" just cause I wear glasses. Pathetic I know.

The only serious moments I can think of was when this one guy threw food at me and my friends, not knowing about my anaphylaxsis. During one music lesson, he was taunting me that much that I grabbed the chair in front of me and nearly smacked him down with it. He backed off and got in trouble for his verbal abuse. A few months later, we pretty much became friends because he cleaned up his act. He always felt guilty about being a ****head to me.

At this stage, any real bullying has stopped in my life and I've got a great bunch of friends.

I hate when people say , " It's part of life".
It's the truth though.

I'm kind of more disturbed by the recent trend of suicides. How did we get to the point where kids think that the only way out of being bullied is suicide?

It's the truth though.

I'm kind of more disturbed by the recent trend of suicides. How did we get to the point where kids think that the only way out of being bullied is suicide?

The humiliation from bullying creates a lot of self esteem issues and most of these kids aren't getting the help they need. It's not like every kid will finally muster enough courage to fight back. Most of them keep it bottled inside. I had a cousin commit suicide when he was 17 and no one saw the signs.

I was bullied all through middle school, but really only by one kid. He knew I liked Star Wars so he always made fun of me/harassed me for it and called me Darth Vader all the time. Looking back, his actions weren't that bad (was very rarely physical), but at the time it was terrible from a social standpoint especially since I was a shy kid to begin with. It certainly exacerbated my shyness and I think is a reason why I typically keep the geek aspect of my personality to a minimum in public.

Last edited:
The humiliation from bullying creates a lot of self esteem issues and most of these kids aren't getting the help they need. It's not like every kid will finally muster enough courage to fight back. Most of them keep it bottled inside. I had a cousin commit suicide when he was 17 and no one saw the signs.
The bolded is exactly what I'm getting at.

I really feel that parents should be more involved in their children's lives.

Sorry about your cousin.

I got picked on a lot. Only physical a couple times (once narrowly escaped about 5 jocks trying to ambush me in the restroom to give me a swirly), but made fun of for being a "nerd", etc. I was also really shy and socially awkward, so it was pretty nerve-wracking for me even when it wasn't physical.

It wasn't common knowledge that I was gay, thank God, but word/gossip was starting to get around in the last couple months before graduation, so I might have gotten out just in time.

I got picked on quite a bit. By the end of my highscool years I was beating the hell out of people though. They deserved it..:yay:

The bolded is exactly what I'm getting at.

I really feel that parents should be more involved in their children's lives.

Absolutely. The unfortunate thing is that some of these parents are abusive or disconnected.

Sorry about your cousin

Thank you.

It wasn't common knowledge that I was gay, thank God, but word/gossip was starting to get around in the last couple months before graduation, so I might have gotten out just in time.

In my high school there was no tolerance for being gay. If you were a 'geek' kids would accuse you of being gay and then proceed to beat you up.
Luckily a charter school opened in the area and some people transferred out to get away from it.

In my high school there was no tolerance for being gay. If you were a 'geek' kids would accuse you of being gay and then proceed to beat you up.
Luckily a charter school opened in the area and some people transferred out to get away from it.

Same here. You got harassed for even being suspected of being gay.

And the jocks could pretty much do whatever they wanted and get away with it.

Absolutely. The unfortunate thing is that some of these parents are abusive or disconnected.
True. And this is exactly why I get angry when people try to pin the blame of bullying solely on the school system. Yes it is wrong when teachers and other school officials allow children to be picked on. Schools that allow this should be held accountable. But for your child to be on the brink of committing suicide and you don't even notice that something might be up? That certainly points to issues in the home as well.

I got picked on verbally and occasionally. I guess it was because I looked like a huge nerd and didn't really talk to the popular ones but I always got along with most people. I do hold a grudge for certain people out there, wishing they get hit by car because they have gotten worse as time goes by and now they're involved in politics which drives me absolutely mad.
I think this last part is funny because it reminds me of something I have read on bullying. Basically it found that bullies were rarely the stereotypical mean kid. The kid with the abusive and or neglectful father figure who simply put him down at every turn now does unto others as his father does to him. Yeah, I'm sure some exist, but mostly they were the rich kids, the kids with great families, the kids who were good at everything and popular. Some studies even believed that victims almost preceived the whole crowd of "popular" kids who generally fit that description I just gave were all bullying them, even though it may have been one or two. So yeah, basically it concluded a lot of kids who become super successful, in fact may have been bullies at one time (not all, but it did find many bullies to graduate into successful people). Of course now we found out the Romney has done this to another student.

I think this is probably definitely true of the bullies who are not really all that physical. Most of the guys who picked on me in middle school, ironically, are really all worse off than me right now. There's only one I can't say for certain whether he is or is not. I have no meaningful contact with him, but he definitely looks kind of ugly, weird and a little fat now (but I've heard he's married so I guess that didn't stop him or anything).
True. And this is exactly why I get angry when people try to pin the blame of bullying solely on the school system. Yes it is wrong when teachers and other school officials allow children to be picked on. Schools that allow this should be held accountable. But for your child to be on the brink of committing suicide and you don't even notice that something might be up? That certainly points to issues in the home as well.
I think where I'm always feel like people take it too far is when they want to say the bully is responsible for a suicide. Suicide, in my opinion, is really not any kind of response to a bully. You're supposed to be under your parents care until your eighteen at least (in my opinion) and parents have to be aware enough of their children to see those kinds of emotional problems. Or if they don't, they simply don't invest enough time in them.

Sh**, sometimes I feel parents are more emotionally invested in their f***ing dogs (and I love dogs). They'll know when Fido is not feeling himself because Fido emotional signals don't result in awkward conversations with their teenager.

Suicide is rarely a spur of the moment decision. Suffering from anxiety/depression myself, I see the signals first hand, and while they can be different for different people if you're close you can see the difference. Also, I think there is a false assumption that the bully is the only thing that could've triggered that suicide. Often suicide is a multi-factoral thing. Parents who are neglectful of their kids can definitely cause a lot of grief to their children, and hurt their social development. So all of the sudden a bully they could've handled becomes a problem because the parents offer no emotional support.

One of the problems, I think with anti-bully school involvement is bullies are everywhere. Just because the school hypothetically stops all bullying, what about bullying at home? bullies in the neighborhood? bullies at other schools?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"