What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

I assume they will be giving copies of this comic away free outside the theater, since it's vital to following the movie :whatever:

(apologies, I don't normally post sarcastic eye rolls, but that was
asking for a snark.)

Still better than Halo 4, you need to read a book (or several, possibly) to follow the game's story line.

If a movie has something important or relevant to the plot it should be in the movie. I don't really take any of the prequel comic stuff as cannon for most of these pictures that have them.

They're pretty much just glorified tie-ins.

I think it's frustrating because spin off comics and novelisations have some things from the script itself and some things added by the author. For example the Batman Begins novel added a load of stuff about Talia with Ra's that was later made nonsense by TDKR. Wheras other stuff in the book was genuine unfilmed stuff from the script. I see this MOS prequel is by Goyer, so I would take it as canon, but it would have been cool to have Supergirl (or a mention) in the film. Or maybe its a disputed canon that Goyer wants Kara to exist in this universe but Nolan and Snyder don't.

I think there are a number of people who wish goyer's work in the actual film wasn't cannon.

I just wanted this film to feel like "the fourth film in Nolan's DC series". Maybe not a fair expectation as he wasn't directing this time.

If a movie has something important or relevant to the plot it should be in the movie. I don't really take any of the prequel comic stuff as cannon for most of these pictures that have them.

They're pretty much just glorified tie-ins.

To some degree that's true but this prequel was written by Goyer and Snyder with Geoff Johns as well so it's an actual prequel to this story, even going so far as to show "someone" leaving the scout ship after it crashes.

Funny thing here: everyone assumes to some degree that the Kryptonian fighting alongside Faora is Nam-Ek, but I've yet to see anything official saying who that fighter is supposed to be.

The character of Nam-Ek isn't even listed in the credits in the movie nor on the IMDB full cast and crew listing either.

However, here's the fun part: Dev-Em is in the prequel comic as a criminal sentenced to execution on Krypton who is set free by two council members, he sneaks onto the scout ship piloted by Kara Zor-El and ends up killing the entire crew except Kara - it could be him that is shown in the prequel comic leaving the ship, or it could be Kara.

The point? Dev-Em is listed in the cast and crew credits of MoS, played by actor Revard Dufresne and I still ain't sure which particular character is supposed to be Dev-Em considering he's a) either 18,000+ years old (entirely feasible if he's been on Earth the entire time under our yellow sun given their aging process, which of course isn't explained) or b) he made it out of the scout ship, somehow went all the way back to Krypton before it was destroyed and ended up part of Zod's crew and put into the Phantom Zone.

Oh it just snowballs from there... ;)

Maybe there's two Dev Em's is it so hard to believe two people thousands of years apart would have the same name?

I just wanted this film to feel like "the fourth film in Nolan's DC series". Maybe not a fair expectation as he wasn't directing this time.

If you ask me the movie is TOO close to the Nolan feel right down to the characters that exist solely to give you exposition.

To some degree that's true but this prequel was written by Goyer and Snyder with Geoff Johns as well so it's an actual prequel to this story, even going so far as to show "someone" leaving the scout ship after it crashes.

Funny thing here: everyone assumes to some degree that the Kryptonian fighting alongside Faora is Nam-Ek, but I've yet to see anything official saying who that fighter is supposed to be.

The character of Nam-Ek isn't even listed in the credits in the movie nor on the IMDB full cast and crew listing either.

However, here's the fun part: Dev-Em is in the prequel comic as a criminal sentenced to execution on Krypton who is set free by two council members, he sneaks onto the scout ship piloted by Kara Zor-El and ends up killing the entire crew except Kara - it could be him that is shown in the prequel comic leaving the ship, or it could be Kara.

The point? Dev-Em is listed in the cast and crew credits of MoS, played by actor Revard Dufresne and I still ain't sure which particular character is supposed to be Dev-Em considering he's a) either 18,000+ years old (entirely feasible if he's been on Earth the entire time under our yellow sun given their aging process, which of course isn't explained) or b) he made it out of the scout ship, somehow went all the way back to Krypton before it was destroyed and ended up part of Zod's crew and put into the Phantom Zone.

Oh it just snowballs from there... ;)

Here's the thing with these tie-in books/comics what not, even if they have the blessing of the creators they are only cannon until they're not essentially.

Like the other poster described the Begins novel having some Talia stuff that was contradicted in the 3rd film. That's because like i said they aren't really cannon anything that's not in the actual film can always be and often is discarded in future film installments. It doesn't have the same solidity to it that elements in the actual film do.

The Star Wars extended universe was considered "cannon" at certain points. Let's see if star ways 7 is really going to stick close to them?..ha.

So to me whatever you see and are told in the film is the only cannon.

Pretty much.

It's just fan appeasement to get extra $$

"hey wanna see some exclusive stuff that you can't in the film? just pay x amount of dollars for this comic/novel...that we're probably just going to ignore/contradict down the line anyways".

Some novels have stuff that was in the script though, like before DVDs they were the only way to see deleted scenes. But you have to be realistic cause Lucas even said he doesn't read Star Wars novels.

Jor El explained it was the El's that led the expeditions to other worlds so I think that's a good explanation as to why there'd be a suit there. Also it was different to Jor El's and had a cape attached so maybe that was an earlier suit worn by El's in the past. As for the fit its alien maybe it adapts to your physiology, that's not so hard to but when you look at the tech Kryptonians use.

Also on Modern Myth Meda one if them came up with a great explanation that the suit would be a formal wear for them to wear when meeting with leaders if other worlds etc.

Thank you for that explanation. I've only seen the movie once so clearly I missed some stuff. I didn't hear that it was Supes family who led the missions. That does make a lot of sense now that I think about it.

After seeing it I don't like the death of Jonathan it could have been done differently and w/o him sacrificing himself like that. He could die in a tornado but not that way.

Last edited:
I see there are still people confused about how an article of Kryptonian clothing got into a Kryptonian closet.

Sigh.

I see there are still people confused about how an article of Kryptonian clothing got into a Kryptonian closet.

Sigh.

It's not so much that, it's that a) it's a blue and red suit completely unlike any other Kryptonian clothing of any styling that we are privy to in the movie, b) it's got the El crest on the chest, and c) it's on a scout ship that crashed on Earth 18,000+ years ago which causes the problems so, let's cover the basics:

a) On Earth there is no reason for Kal to require the same kinds of armor suits that Zod and his crew are seen wearing, he just needs a suit to cover his body so he's not traveling around flat out naked BUT human or Earth-made materials simply aren't going to be enough so that's where this suit comes in. It's more like a second-skin more than most anything else.

b) it has the El crest on it for one primary reason with a secondary one:

-- the primary reason is because Kal inserted the House of El command key into the ship thereby uploading Jor-El's consciousness into the system and it's safe to assume (uh oh, careful now) that given Jor-El's position as one of the most respected Kryptonian scientists his work in the scientific field obviously (at least to me) lends him to being very well aware on the genetic engineering of the Kryptonian people - what I'm getting at is that it's not a great leap of the imagination to think that Jor-El couldn't do a genetic makeup on Kal after his birth and literally be able to see exactly what he would become at any given age meaning his physical body dimensions, etc hence the suit being "tailor made" on command as required when Kal activates the scout ship.

-- the secondary reason is - if you accept what the prequel comic states - that scout ship was launched by ancestors in the House of El family line, piloted by Kara Zor-El herself, but it was never intended for the Sol system (our solar system since that's the name of our sun) since we're already populated. It seems even the Kryptonians probably had some kind of "Prime Directive" themselves by not interfering with the evolution of systems that already had sentient lifeforms inhabiting them - they don't specifically say THAT directly in the prequel, but Kara states rather emphatically that "Sol's system was never our destination!!!

The scout ships and colonial outposts regularly sent reports back to Krypton in some manner, that's how Jor-El has the information about Earth, our yellow sun, the effects the younger sun's radiation will have on Kal as he lives here, and so on.

All in all a rather miraculous miracle one could say and not just bad writing like so many seem to imply - I mean this stuff is based on the original Superman canon to begin with: Kal comes from Krypton as a baby and then becomes Superman as he grows up - this retelling covers that with a bit more detail and backstory created for this retelling.
So it's a bit of both (if the prequel comic is actually canon for this retelling of the Superman tale, and since it was written by Snyder and Goyer I'd say that's pretty solid).

Now, as for the traditional red and blue colors of the suit, you'd have to go have a chat with Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster on that one. :)

I'm just going to copypaste what I wrote somewhere else:

I didn't mind all the destruction in the final scene, but I think that they should have filmed another scene where we can see the world's reaction to said destruction and Superman trying to help the victims after the fight, something similar to the scene at the end of The Avengers, where people are talking on tv about those new heroes and also mourning the victims.

They shoild have shown a scene where Superman helped saving survivors and with the reconstruction of Metropolis, because all that destruction was partially his fault, the kryptonians went to Earth looking for him and this caused a lot of damage, so we should have seen how Superman tried to help after stopping Zod and how some people would see him as a hero while others wouldn't completely trust him, but you can't just show such a big fight with all that destruction and then Super and Lois just kiss in the middle of it all, probably surrounded by hundreds of corpses under the fallen buildings, and then they fight again and Zod dies, and then they just cut to Clark happily going to the Planet on his bike with a smile on his face like if nothing had happened, that was just ridiculous.

They should have shown how the people in Metroplis were being evacuated before or during the fight, and how Superman tried to avoid the damage in builidings with people inside them by just checking out the inside of said buildings with his x-ray vision and moving (or trying to move) the fight to zones of the city that had been evacuated, then add a final scene like the one I mentioned above where he helped in the rescue of survivors and with citizens thanking him for it, that would have made the movie so much better and there wouldn't be so much complaining for the destruction in the film.

There were a few other stupid moments, like using Krypton's only spaceship to send Zod and company to the Phantom Zone instead of to save innocent kryptonians, or when Superman takes Zod away from the Kent's farm to the middle of Smallville where a lot of innocent lives were at risk, he could have fought Zod in the cornfields, it would have been a boring battle but it would have made some sense and Clark wouldn't have left his mom alone with the rest of kryptonians that could have easily killed her.

Also aliens should not speak english, some kind of alien translator to learn every language on Earth should have been included to avoid subtitles (that would explain the "You Are Not Alone" message in multiple languages around the world).

And the way Jonathan dies was not very intelligent, Clark could have easily saved the dog without a single scratch and without risking his own life, and anyway Clark should have saved his dad and they could have made up some excuse later to justify how they survived, letting him die was very antisupermanish and unbelievable, if he saved the kids in the bus no matter what John thought or said, Clark would have saved him too without hesitating, and they could say later that they just had luck, what could the rest of people there say to prove the contrary?

And the worst thing about his death was that he died to protect Clark's true nature but at the end of the movie it's implied that a lot of people know or will know that he is Superman anyway and pretty easily, including a lot of Smallville's citizens, so his death was pointless.

Jonathan knew that Clark could have saved the dog without any kind of risk, telling Clark that he would go instead was beyond stupid and the only reason for it was to kill him.

Clark respecting his dad is ok, I understood that perfectly, I'm not that dumb, but he should love him more what he respects him, so he should have tried to save him because everybody would have done that. If my mother was in some kind of danger and she asked me to not help her for any random reason, no matter how much I respect her, I would try to help her because I love her and I wouldn't care if she would be mad later, if her life was in danger and I could do something to save her. I would just do it without thinking it twice, and I'm not Superman.

Clark could have saved the dog in the first place, but even if his dad ultimatelly is the one that goes to the car to save the dog, once Clark sees that his father is in danger he should have run to help him.
He could have run at "human speed" so nobody would freak out and save Jonathan when he was trapped in the car, or he could have run so fast that nobody would really see him and nobody would really know what had just happened with all that chaos around, people were running to save their own lives, not paying attention to whatever Clark could do, so nobody would think: "Oh, wow, Jonathan must have been saved by his alien son", because everything would happen so fast that nobody would really know what happened, probably nobody would even see it, because he could run so fast that in a blink he would have saved his dad and they would be 500 miles awys from the tornado.

And even if some people saw him using his powers, nobody else would believe it, Clark and Jonathan could make up something to explain how they were just lucky some way, it would be their word against some other people's word, and they wouldn't be really sure of what happened or what they had seen because they don't know that Clark is a freaking alien, so if they talked about how Clark is "special", the authorities just wouldn't believe it like they don't believe when a farmer says that an ufo has abduced his cows, they would think that it was just a case of mass hysteria or something like that, but probably nobody would really notice or know what happened, and Jonathan would be angry but alive.

Clark should have saved him even if that actually meant that everybody knew his secret, because Superman saves people, he saves people that he doesn't even know because he cares for said people, and he should care even more for his parents. Could you imagine that Lois was in danger in front of Clark and he didn't move a finger just to avoid that everybody around him knew that he is Superman? He would find a way to save her without being noticed or would sacrifice his secret identity, but he would never let her die even if she asked him to do so, Superman would save her without hesitation, and the same should happen with his parents.

I should say that even with all the flaws I could find in MOS's writing, TDK Trilogy was far worse and had many many more flaws but nobody was as harsh with those movies as they are being with MOS just because the Batman movies were directed by Nolan and is easier to bash Snyder or Goyer and say that they need someone like Nolan to make a good movie.

All TDK movies (not just TDKR) had huge problems, flaws, leaps of logic and non sense all around, and if the Nolan bros were so good in their jobs they would have fixed all the bad writing in those movies. "Inception" also had those kind of problems and Goyer didn't write it.

Nolan was the producer of MOS, and he could have fixed the problems on this movie if he was such a genius, but he didn't do it. All these movies with Nolan or Goyer have great ideas and concepts to modernize these heroes, to make them more realistic and serious, and I certainly like that, but they should read their scripts over and over again before filming, because their movies are like those big games that look amazing but have tons of bugs because nobody bothered to test them before releasing them.

Marvel movies also have these kinds of flaws, "Iron Man 3" was just atrocious, but they don't seem to take themselves so seriously and maybe that's why some fans and some critics are not so harsh with them even if they probably should imo.

I'm just going to copypaste what I wrote somewhere else:

*snip*

All I can say about all that first part is: Kal has been "Superman" for basically less than 24 hours when all hell breaks loose with Zod and company, and as I noted in another post in another thread, considering it was his "first day on the job" I think he ended up doing pretty damned well. :)

It's just not possible given the run time of the movie to show all the stuff you've pointed out as something "They should have shown..." etc etc. Just ain't possible. Most of the stuff you are mentioning is stuff that a Superman 33 years old that's been saving people for a decade or more as Superman might be able to do with a lot of experience under his belt but, this is not that Superman - this one literally just stepped into the boots, the suit, and donned the cape, got in the first real actual fight in his entire lifespan (against a GIRL no less), and also had to deal with a lot of other stuff as well so again I say for a guy literally being Superman for a 24 hour period at most he did awfully damned well.

Here's the basics (my opinions):

-- The Destruction
Had to happen, this is a Superman movie and I expect no less if someone is really going to tell the tale.

-- The Aftermath
It's a Superman movie, and he even tells the General "I'm here to help" - having said that there is absolutely zero reason to assume or even believe that Kal would simply turn his back on Metropolis or Smallville once things were settled down a bit. He would have helped in the cleanup operations since there's a 100% certainty (on my behalf) that Kal would want to ensure that Kryptonian technology of any kind has to be kept away from humanity at as high a degree as possible - he'd be the one removing the remnants of the Black Zero and the scout ship, as well as other major components of the destruction. He may not directly help with the rebuilding process - that's what LexCorp is there for. ;)

-- People in the buildings/evacuation
This is a given. In fact as I stated in another thread earlier the only people I see inside any building during that entire Metropolis disaster were the few people inside The Daily Planet and it sure took them a damned long time to figure out "Hey, we need to get out of here..." In The Avengers, we saw Hulk tearing through a building and it sure seemed like everybody was just working a normal daytime shift or whatever even in spite of aliens outside the windows blasting stuff everywhere from little flying ships and a big hole in the sky up above too - do people complain about that? Nope, but they're sure giving MoS a hell of a raking over the coals. I didn't see people in buildings, I saw people on streets, big difference. It's a movie about super powered beings bent on destroying Earth to resurrect their basically dead race - having them kill or even destroy the entire city wouldn't make me blink. I went into the movie expecting it and I wasn't disappointed.

-- The Black Zero
The Black Zero was a transport ship powered by a Phantom Drive: it's sole purpose was to transport prisoners to and from the Phantom Zone, nothing more. It was heavily modified after the destruction of Krypton to use the Phantom Drive as a hyperdrive for interstellar travel, and as time passed I'm sure that during Zod's search for Kryptonian colonial outposts and scout ships, they added as much working tech as possible whenever they found it - which means adding the functional World Engine they found as well. As for the Kryptonians being "innocent" well, that's another thread entirely but suffice to say they were a dead race because they were basically - not all of them but the overwhelming majority for certain - stupid, careless, and disrespectful of their planet and as Kal says, "Krypton had its chance." Their arrogance destroyed them more than anything else. A boring fight in a cornfield is precisely what we would have had and it wouldn't have had nearly the impact (no pun intended) - if someone picked your Mom up and threw her across your front yard, do you think you'd actually give a damn about much of anything in that moment except tearing the head off the person that did it? Didn't think so - Kal reaction was perfectly justified considering. Also: no Codex on the Kent farm, Faora's primary task is protecting General Zod - as soon as Kal snatches him off the farm, she got back onboard those craft and hauled ass after him. Martha was of no further use the moment Faora tossed her on the ground.

-- The scout ships sent out by Krypton (House of El, actually) as well as the colonial outposts kept in touch with their home world and provided information about the places they'd been scouting which would obviously include reports about inhabited worlds they came across, astronomic data of all kinds including where said worlds/stars happened to be located precisely, and yes even probably detailed info about the inhabitants of said worlds including language and developmental info. Is that so tough to believe that after 100,000 years of exploration across the universe there would be a rather huge repository of knowledge back on the home world gathered from all those scout ships and outposts?

-- Jonathan Kent Must Die
And he does, in a rather emotional manner. I read so many comments from people about "He died saving a dog? How stupid of him." and it's not what happened: he didn't die to save the dog, the dog was already safe. He died to protect Clark's identity and abilities - there's a very big almost "super-sized" difference there between the two and sadly not everyone gets it. It's about sacrifice, and it was a lesson that Clark had to learn to move on to the next level of "being human" even if he's not. It's important, and it had to be done. Were their other ways Jonathan could have died? Sure, just as long as it wasn't the traditional heart attack scenario since that's so played out. Honestly I don't get why Jonathan's choice to give his life to protect Clark's identity and abilities is messing people up so much. Maybe it's because it's incredibly rare to find someone in today's world - especially a father - that would do such a thing? I don't know, but I sure wonder. I will say that I would have done the same thing myself in the same situation, without a shadow of a doubt. It was far from a pointless death, like interstellar-style distance far.

As for that whole last part, well, Clark was 16-17 years old, confused, super-powered, and a good son. He did what had to be done, and I got no beef with it. You keep saying "Superman saves people" like so many others do and in my opinion you and many others are missing the crucial point in this movie:

Clark isn't Superman except for roughly a 24 hour period about the time Zod arrives and starts the clock. Until that moment, until Zod lays out his ultimatum to humanity, Clark is... well... Clark.

It's fine that folks wanted this to be the Superman they've always known and loved and looked up to, the problem is in this movie, this "Superman Begins" to a very large degree, Clark isn't that Superman yet.

But he will be... so we've got something amazing to look forward to in the next movie. ;)

repost:
Pa Kent. Nearly no emotion in this scene. We should have seen the Kents actually find baby Clark. It would have had greater impact seeing the Kents as actual people. Instead, there was no connection. They were just some people in some flashbacks. Ma Kent, also no emotion. Should have had Clark get out of bed and see his parents before going to school or something at least. Smallville did it better.

I felt nothing for Clark when he was flying. I know it was supposed to be grand like "yeah finally! I'm so with him, this is fun!" except it fell flat. I mean it looked cool and all but...his "woohoo" I'm like, okay good for you.
Also the flashbacks should have all been done (in order, except for the last cape scene) before he got the fortress and put on the suit. Maybe that would have helped...

Perry White and all the idiots standing around watching the buildings fall on them. Jenny? Do we care that she's stuck? Did she even have a line before that?

The dialogue/delivery for Superman: "Do you think! You can threaten! My mother!" "You're a monster Zod, and I will stop you!" reminds me of "So you came to die with your city" "No, I came to stop you..."

Pacing was off. Like that scene where Superman destroys the drone.

Action was amazing, the visuals were good. I didn't care Metropolis was destroyed, I've been waiting to see Superman get crazy action scenes and that worked for me. Michael Shannon & Russell Crowe were especially good. Crowe reminded me of Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. Henry was decent. Amy was okay, not terrible.

Could have been a lot better, could have been worse. Felt rushed as opposed to Batman Begins pace. Not really looking forward to other DC characters being done like this. Should just bring back Bale and do a WF film.

PS I remember another thing. Why did the Kryptonians have time to banish (save) Zod and his gang (criminals) yet stood idle as they all died as the planet exploded?? Their last moments are to save the criminals and die themselves? O-kay...
How soon after they put Zod in the Phantom Zone did Krypton explode? Did they not know it would release them? Did they really just waste their time putting Zod and his people away only to explode the next minute, releasing Zod and friends?

PPS now that I think about it, Metropolis was destroyed yet Clark comes to work at the end of the movie at the DP as if nothing happened to the city? I don't remember but did it look damaged or did it look perfectly fine?

Agreed.

Broadband: Jor-el wears the exact same blue suit that becomes Clark's suit when he jumps into the water to get the codex.

It was blue. I can tell that much.

It was blue.. not much different from Supe's suit.. there will be a diff of course because the suit supe is wearing is 18,000 years old and was on Kara's scout ship.. .so, there has to be some design changes...

Ahhhh, I just looked up some pics of his suit, and it is definitely blue underneath.

Huh, I thought it was black for some reason. :hyper:

@br0adband: I understand that he is a superhero noob, and I wrote how I didn't mind the destruction of Metropolis, but the writer and the director should have added some stuff to make the movie better and then people wouldn't be complaining so much about the "destruction porn".

I understand that a fight between kryptonians has to cause a lot of damage, but the director could have used a couple of shots to show us how the city was being evacuated, and how Superman used his x-ray vision to check which buildings had been evacuated and how he tried to move the fight to the evacuated zones.

Those shots would have lasted just a few seconds and would have improved the movie by showing us that Superman was being as careful as he could instead of asking the audience to take it for granted, because then everybody will talk abou how Superman didn't care for all the people dying around.

And even if he is a noob, he should be concerned about thousands of people dying around because of him, since Zod is there because of him and they are destroying a whole city with millions of innocent citizens, you can't say "he is just a noob and he did everything he could" when that's not what is being shown in the film, the director has to show us that he is really doing all he can to save as many lives as possible, and he could do it with just a few shots showing the evacuation and Superman using his powers to fight Zod without hurting innocents, otherwise it looks like if somebody had cut the parts where Superman cares about all the people dying around, and that is not Superman, Superman cares for the loss of innocent lives from day one or otherwise he would just stay at home while Zod kills everybody.

Superman kissing Lois in the middle of all that destruction instead of being terrified by it and trying to save victims is really unbelievable and excessively cold if you don't show how most of the people have been evacuated and saved while he was fighting Zod.

Even if the evacuation was shown, he should show some respect for all the people that has died because of him and he should feel devastated instead of horny. He cries and yells when he kills Zod, but the director doesn't bother to show us how he feels about all the human victims, there is not a single shot with Superman being sorry for all the deaths he has caused. He has saved billions, yes, but he has also caused the deaths of many others, but he seems to care strictly about Zod's death, Snyder doesn't show us how he feels about all the detruction and all the human deaths, Snyder doesn't show us Superman trying to help the survivors, we just don't know if the city was evacuated or if millions of citizens have died, he just show us Superman making out with Lois with, maybe, thousand of dead bodies around beneath the buildings, because we just don't know if said buildings were completely evacuated, a kid could be dying beside them while he is kissing his girl, you can't justify that with a "he has been Superman for only 24 hours" excuse.

Snyder should have shown us the aftermath with Superman trying to help as much as he could, and the people of Metropilis and the rest of the world either loving him for saving them all, or hating him for being the cause of everything that has just happened, but we don't know if he is seen as a hero or not, we just don't know if the greatest superhero is actually seen by the world as such. We just see how he talks with his mom, with the army guy, and then he is riding his bike to the Planet with a smile on his face like if nothing had happened. That could have been done much better with just a few extra shots and/or scenes, and this is not Superman's/Clark's fault, the writer, the director or the editor are the ones to blame, Superman's inexperience has nothing to do with it.

Regarding the Black Zero spaceship, don't tell me how "nobody was really innocent". Kryptonians had the technology to travel to other planets and galaxies and they didn't use it because they were just plain stupid. They knew that they were going to die and they didn't move a finger according to this movie. Snyder should have shown us that they learned about Krypton's destiny AFTER Zod and company had been sent to the Phantom Zone, because otherwise they should have used Black Zero to save their own kind like Zod tried to do later. Zod and the others could modify the spaceship to travel to other planets, are you going to tell me that Jor-El or other scientists like him couldn't have done the same to actually save the kryptonian kind?

They should have shown Zod's rebellion, then he is sent to the Phantom Zone with Black Zero, then Jor-El learns the planet is dying and there is no time to evacuate, but he has a spaceship and a destination for his son because he already had a plan just in case the council learned that Kal-El was a naturally born child. That makes sense, and I don't know if that was what I saw in the movie, I've seen it just once, but I don't remember it that way.

Lack of experience is also a very bad excuse for what he does to "help" his mom in Smallville. It's just lack of intelligence, but again this is not Superman's fault, this is just the writer and the director wanting a kryptonian fight in the middle of a populated area instead of in the middle of the cornfields. Superman should have grabbed his mom an take her away flying, then come back and kick some kryptonian ass. If he just punches Zod till the next populated area, he is not only risking the lives of innocents for no reason by taking the fight there, he is also leaving his mom alone with the other kryptonians that could just kill her to hurt him just for daring to touch their general. I've never been a hero and I have no superpowers, but I have a brain, being unexperienced does not equal to being stupid.

And Jonathan's dead was just ridiculous and unnecesary, he dies for no reason, it's just a writer's trick to show us some kind of ******ed lesson the hero supposedly needs to learn and an artificial life-changing moment that nobody with a brain and a heart could understand why happened, he just killed himself and Clark allowed it.

And I repeat: no serious movie shows aliens speaking perfect english for no reason. There are a billion ways to make clear that their original language is kryptonian without needing subtitles, it has been done for decades with tons of movies with characters that didn't speak english, they just had to think about a clever way to do it like many other movies have since a long time ago.

I could go on and on, and you could say again how Superman has been a hero for just 24 hours and he did what he could. I understand that, I don't blame him, I blame the writer and the director for the bad choices they have done. I hope that some kind of extended cut is released for the bluray to fix some of these flaws, because the movie has a lot of potential to be great, and the sequels could be even better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"