Superman's power level - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Bad science aside, the bigger objection might be that “turning back time” is a massive deus ex machina - a narrative cheat. Moreover, a major feat like that really should have had a bit of foreshadowing - some hint (at least) that time-travel was among Supes’ arsenal of powers. Otherwise, it comes across as a wtf? moment.

Actually… according to certain “wormhole time machine” models, you could travel backward in time - but no earlier than the date the machine was invented. So for example, the 1985 DeLorean could go to 2015 and then back to 1985. But 1955 is forbidden. :word:

2. robot

robot Well-Known Member

I never claimed it's possible.. I am only pointing out that if Superman indeed could travel faster than the speed of light (which is bad science), anything's possible then.. and yes, of course, a fictitious character that can travel faster than the speed of light is a cop-out.. because you'll be god-like and could possibly create universes...

That's one of them... if you include multi-verse theories, you can jump thru to other universes without (and back in time in that universe)... and there are others...

Real physics is stranger than fiction...

3. Mad Love

Mad Love The Future of Justice

That doesn't refute anything I said. You have to exceed the speed of light or warp space/time. And I wrote:

Moving near speed of light results in only going FORWARD in time.

Keyword: could. And that could is dependent upon impossible parameters. Of course you could go back in time if you had a working wormhole time machine. But could you first create a working wormhole time machine?

4. Mad Love

Again you fall back on: "i don't know what happens so time travel backwards is possible". That's illogical. No it's not entirely possible because singularities have their own constraints. They're not magical places where anything is possible.

5. robot

robot Well-Known Member

When physics breaks down, you don't know what happens... and it's within the realm of space time that it's possible worm holes / black holes leads to time travel... and i might have used the term 'anything is possible' wrongly here.. i meant to say, 'your theory is as good as mine, or any scientists for that matter'.. so, to speculate that IF superman can Create a Wormhole by travelling faster than the speed of light, then he can manipulate space/time is within the possibility of physics as we know it today... thus my original point that among all of the super-powers of superman, the 'turning back time' in Superman the movie, is the most sci-fi part of it (note the Science Fiction?)... The rest like 'magically flying', 'building entire walls with his eyes', etc, are pure fantasy..

6. Mad Love

The way Superman goes back in time in the movie might as well be magical because it doesn't conform to any science. Is he making a black hole? Nope he's flying around Earth. Is he going faster than light? Nope because we can see his trail, he doesn't have infinite energy, and the build up of mass would have destroyed Earth.

You have it backwards. There's more science fiction in his other abilities than being able to go back in time the way it was shown.

7. robot

robot Well-Known Member

Like building the great wall of china with his eyes?

I think you miss the whole point of my original argument.. which is to dispute that Superman is Sci-Fi... I said that it was more fantasy than Sci-Fi... and if there's any element of sci-fi in it, then the closest would be his travelling back in time (because that actually have some possibility of being true IF you give him the ability to travel faster than the speed of light, like IF we have a WARP drive, you can travel faster than the speed of light... and no, we do not have warp drive.. so, with your logic, star trek is no more sci-fi than superman travelling back in time)

And I think you don't even know the difference betwen Science FICTION and Science.... there's a reason they call it 'fiction' you know.. because it allows for some creativity.. within the realm of possibility even if it's minute...

8. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

How did you all feel about how superman's power level was depicted? He was arguably dialed back somewhat to keep it more grounded but his strength seemed to remain at least consistent throughout the film as opposed to a lot of the past superman films.

9. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I've tried to describe why I liked it. I won't say because it was "realistic" because... well it was Superman. Nothing he does is realistic.

But it was aesthetically and logically pleasing. His powers had physical impact in the world (obviously, just look at Metropolis). But that's what I was hoping for. Everything Superman does, from flying to landing, punching to heat vision should be extremely powerful and extremely destructive. And that's what this movie showed.

10. nogap87

nogap87 Well-Known Member

I thought they did a good job regarding his power level. There was no "HOLY ****!" moment like when Hulk punched the Leviathan but there was enough impressive feats there to cement Supes as the most powerful cinematic superhero at the moment.

Thor needs to step it up a notch come November.

11. ken smith

ken smith Well-Known Member

I just came back from the movie. Superman did look strong as usual but after the movie, my brother and I argued. He said Avengers Hulk was stronger than Man of Steel Superman. Do you guys agree?

12. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think they're more-or-less on the same level. Just the Superman has some extra powers.

But, not much point in comparing since they're in different universes.

13. Bruce Malone

It's funny before the release i was sure he'd actually be strong enough to take on all the avengers at once.

Now i'm not so sure? what do you guys think superman vs the avengers? Location: abandoned city.

14. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

As for right now Superman has displayed a higher level of power. You can't top shock wave producing punches. I hope Hulk and Thor get a massive power boost in Avengers 2. The big Krytonian in Smallville helping Faora felt like the Hulk during the Smallville fight sequence. I hope Joss Whedon sees Man of Steel and ups his game on the spectacle side. Synder has Whedon beat on the visuals but Whedon has Goyer beat on the writing.

Superman took the cap off a mountain, punched someone so hard they flew though multiple buildings , and produced shock waves that where powerful enough to destroyed buildings.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  15. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

he'd make tony,steve,black widow and hawkeye his *****

thor and hulk would be close

maybe superman will break the hulks neck to even the numbers:oldrazz:

16. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Funny you say that. Hulk chose not to break the Abomination's neck but [BLACKOUT]Superman broke Zod's neck with enough force to produce a shock wave.[/BLACKOUT]

By the way braking the hulks neck wouldn't kill him. It's been done. Healing factor is a nasty thing.
    [​IMG]

17. ken smith

ken smith Well-Known Member

As for right now Superman has displayed a higher level of power. You can't top shock wave producing punches. I hope Hulk and Thor get a massive power boost in Avengers 2. The big Krytonian in Smallville helping Faora felt like the Hulk during the Smallville fight sequence. I hope Joss Whedon sees Man of Steel and ups his game on the spectacle side. Synder has Whedon beat on the visuals but Whedon has Goyer beat on the writing.

Superman took the cap off a mountain, punched someone so hard they flew though multiple buildings , and produced shock waves that where powerful enough to destroyed buildings.
    [/QUOTE

Exactly. What do you think was Superman's most significant show of strength that Hulk or Thor can't match?

18. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Not I'm not talking about there Potential strength. I'm talking about what's been show as there feats in the cruent batch of Marvel movies. Thor has show that he potentially capable of doing what superman was doing in MOS in Thor 1 but just hasn't don't it yet. But Hulk had to be given a power upgraded in the Avenger because they all his display of power level as being to weak in The incredible Hulk. When i went to the The Incredible Hulk i was expecting what i saw in MOS this weekend.

19. nocomics

nocomics Well-Known Member

I thought his power level was decent for what they were trying to do, though I was disappointed in no super breath. They didn't need to show him lifting mountains or some super feat, so what they had him do was fine.

20. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

Creating a massive shockwave with a punch. That's some crazy comic book level stuff right there.

21. Nicko-Ray

Nicko-Ray Danger!

Have to keep in kind that Supes was fighting people not that much different than him.

And I do think in this film he was getting used to his powers. Especially in combat. Without a doubt in future movies they'll have him more intact with his abilities. Can't wait.

22. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Watched the movie and any doubts about Supes being depowered were quickly dispelled; so much so that I can see Thor fans being anxious to see what feats Thor does in TDW, hoping that he does something on the level of The Man of Steel.

23. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

IF you exceeded the speed of light time reverses. That's science.

That's how me and all my friends feell. I bet/hope Kevin Fiege is going to go back in and edit shock waves into Thor's attacks.

24. Bruce Malone

[​IMG]

It's actually science that you can't exceed the speed of light.

Regardless changing the earth's rotation would have no effect on time. Just massive destruction on a level of a roland emmerich film.

25. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

We are talking about a comicbook film. Superman gets the comicbook exemption. Superman can move faster than the speed of light. There for when he reaches the speed of light time reverses. it makes sense with in the context of the film.