Superman's power level - Part 1

I'll only agree with the aspect that it "makes sense" in that films world and absolutely no where else.

Let's be real even today's comic book films wouldn't try something so outlandish. The truth is i'm not even what that did? If he caused the earth to go back in time then where did that stuff that happened in the past go? The missile and everything?

The whole ending did rub we the wrong way in that film, which for its time i think was pretty good overall.

Don't forget the fact that there would be two Superman's in that time line now. It mean that the Superman still stopping the missiles never went back in time to stop Lois from dieing.

I love the idea of MCU Hulk vs MoS Supes.

That would be an utterly amazing fight. Superman does have the speed and flight. So quite honestly I give him a very slight edge. But still. Close match.

I was totally satisfied with Superman's power level in the film. What's cool is that he's still learning about his abilities and developing them. In the next film, he'll likely discover super breath, and maybe microscopic vision, or infrared. The more he's on Earth and under the yellow sun and the planet's environment, the stronger he'll become. In most sequels, the hero gets a new suit. Superman? He'll get a new power.

After all the speculation in this thread, I was pretty happy with what we got. Superman was powerful enough to be impressive, but not so powerful that he was unbeatable or nothing seemed like a challenge to him.

They showed a good range of his powers - strength, speed, flight, heat vision, invulnerability, X-Ray vision, and so on. I was particularly happy with how they handled heat vision and the effects in doing so. Strong enough to melt part of a steel girder being swung by Zod, but also focused enough to cauterize the wound Lois sustained in the ship when she's following Clark.

I also like Jor-El's speech to him about being 'more powerful' than he could have imagined, and about 'testing his limits'. That suggests that we may not yet have seen just what the MOS version of Superman is capable of - he may not even know his own limits when it comes to strength/speed/etc.

I was totally satisfied with Superman's power level in the film. What's cool is that he's still learning about his abilities and developing them. In the next film, he'll likely discover super breath, and maybe microscopic vision, or infrared. The more he's on Earth and under the yellow sun and the planet's environment, the stronger he'll become. In most sequels, the hero gets a new suit. Superman? He'll get a new power.

Did we get microscopic vision in MOS when Superman is standing with Martha at the farmhouse and you see him kinda zooming in on the ship in the sky? Or would that be classed as telescopic vision?

After all the speculation in this thread, I was pretty happy with what we got. Superman was powerful enough to be impressive, but not so powerful that he was unbeatable or nothing seemed like a challenge to him.

They showed a good range of his powers - strength, speed, flight, heat vision, invulnerability, X-Ray vision, and so on. I was particularly happy with how they handled heat vision and the effects in doing so. Strong enough to melt part of a steel girder being swung by Zod, but also focused enough to cauterize the wound Lois sustained in the ship when she's following Clark.

I also like Jor-El's speech to him about being 'more powerful' than he could have imagined, and about 'testing his limits'. That suggests that we may not yet have seen just what the MOS version of Superman is capable of - he may not even know his own limits when it comes to strength/speed/etc.

Did we get microscopic vision in MOS when Superman is standing with Martha at the farmhouse and you see him kinda zooming in on the ship in the sky? Or would that be classed as telescopic vision?
He already seemed more powerful than the other Kryptonians, and even flew up into the gravity beam thing from the World Engine, so I think his power levels are good. And I think that that would be telescopic vision.

Yup, the prefix "tele" means far away. So, being pedantic the correct name for the power would be tele-vision :p.

Not to bring up a dead horse. I'm just always fascinated by superhero power levels. Also couldn't hurt to discuss being that Batman's slated for the sequel.

Man of Steel obviously showed a Superman who is not quite the strongest he has ever been seen. Personally, I find it to be great. Whether this means he will eventually attain limitless power "by testing his limits" as Jor El suggested, or if he is just permanently nerfed in favor of a more physically appealing Superman, I'm happy.

Basically all it means to me is that Snyder and Co. are keeping his power level in mind and not just suiting it to their needs. Not only do they want it to look good and be in the realm of realistic believability, but they want it to look good.

As it was shown, Kal had issues lifting an Oil Rig when previously he's been able to lift continents.
1297404351346_ORIGINAL.jpg

Obviously this is before he even knows where his powers come from, but it seems to be a real struggle for him. Still, it shows him as thousands of times stronger than any man and substantially stronger than any single non-kryptonian superhero depicted on screen in the past.

We also see a Superman whose heat vision requires some intense discomfort/concentration/effort. Much like his heightened senses, vision/hearing/etc.
manofsteeltrailer0521.jpg

This is obviously a skill he doesn't use often, but it seems like the process takes a bit out of him.

His first flight is a challenge for him, seen as something of an extension of his leaping ability. He seems to be disinclined to take high caliber bullets in stride. He doesn't seem to be "all star superman" intelligent. He also has trouble fighting other Kryptonians.

faora2.gif

But my personal favorite factoid in the film is that, not only does he receive all his powers from the yellow sun, but he loses most (if not all) of them when subjected to another atmosphere. Meaning he is only Superman on Earth. For any future endeavors that could potentially take him out of our Solar System, he will likely need a ship and/or space suit.

We don't see his freeze breath. Which I don't mind. I would however, not only like to see the ability in a sequel, but also an explanation. That would be something I'm interested in.

All in all, he's a Superman that we can obviously see as capable of taking out Zod. But one that could believably have trouble with the right Batman/Lex Luthor. And would definitely need help against Darkseid. So imo, right on the money.

Not to bring up a dead horse. I'm just always fascinated by superhero power levels. Also couldn't hurt to discuss being that Batman's slated for the sequel.

Man of Steel obviously showed a Superman who is not quite the strongest he has ever been seen. Personally, I find it to be great. Whether this means he will eventually attain limitless power "by testing his limits" as Jor El suggested, or if he is just permanently nerfed in favor of a more physically appealing Superman, I'm happy.

Basically all it means to me is that Snyder and Co. are keeping his power level in mind and not just suiting it to their needs. Not only do they want it to look good and be in the realm of realistic believability, but they want it to look good.

As it was shown, Kal had issues lifting an Oil Rig when previously he's been able to lift continents.
1297404351346_ORIGINAL.jpg

Obviously this is before he even knows where his powers come from, but it seems to be a real struggle for him. Still, it shows him as thousands of times stronger than any man and substantially stronger than any single non-kryptonian superhero depicted on screen in the past.

We also see a Superman whose heat vision requires some intense discomfort/concentration/effort. Much like his heightened senses, vision/hearing/etc.
manofsteeltrailer0521.jpg

This is obviously a skill he doesn't use often, but it seems like the process takes a bit out of him.

His first flight is a challenge for him, seen as something of an extension of his leaping ability. He seems to be disinclined to take high caliber bullets in stride. He doesn't seem to be "all star superman" intelligent. He also has trouble fighting other Kryptonians.

faora2.gif

But my personal favorite factoid in the film is that, not only does he receive all his powers from the yellow sun, but he loses most (if not all) of them when subjected to another atmosphere. Meaning he is only Superman on Earth. For any future endeavors that could potentially take him out of our Solar System, he will likely need a ship and/or space suit.

We don't see his freeze breath. Which I don't mind. I would however, not only like to see the ability in a sequel, but also an explanation. That would be something I'm interested in.

All in all, he's a Superman that we can obviously see as capable of taking out Zod. But one that could believably have trouble with the right Batman/Lex Luthor. And would definitely need help against Darkseid. So imo, right on the money.

he loses his powers only if he's on the kryptonian atmosphere.. and the only one was the black zero...in other words the red sun.. in this solar system yeah he has all powers but maybe if he goes to another part the powers are still there but maybe they're gonna be decreasing if there's no yellow sun to recharge...

I never saw any red sunlight on black zero, or a reference to a red sun. Only to atmospherics.

I too agree that Superman's powers were at a level that made him interesting, in that nothing was easy (not fighting the other Kryptonians, destroying the World engine, none of it). Also, the "keep testing your limits" gives the character a lot of scope to grow -made the moment when Zod learned to fly even more significant. You could see the "Oh, ****" look on
Kal-El's face.

On a different note, t be honest, I would prefer it if super-breath didn't show up. I have always thought of it as Superman's dumbest power.

Super-strength I can live with, invulnerability, super speed etc no problem if his energy source is the sun. Heat vision, sure, it's really just pyrokinesis.

But super breath ? first, to generate winds he'd have to inhale far more air than his lungs could ever hold.

Second, super cold breath ? When you blow on something it removes heat, chilling it, but how does superman super-cool the air in his lungs ?

Really, these powers are a bit silly, and I'm okay without him having them.
There's plenty he can do already, and what he's got are the core powers
that make Superman who he is.

Yes, I know it's Superman and we have to suspend disbelief, but that's my opinion.

MOS rocked, bring on BM v SM ! Peace.

I too agree that Superman's powers were at a level that made him interesting, in that nothing was easy (not fighting the other Kryptonians, destroying the World engine, none of it). Also, the "keep testing your limits" gives the character a lot of scope to grow -made the moment when Zod learned to fly even more significant. You could see the "Oh, ****" look on
Kal-El's face.

On a different note, t be honest, I would prefer it if super-breath didn't show up. I have always thought of it as Superman's dumbest power.

Super-strength I can live with, invulnerability, super speed etc no problem if his energy source is the sun. Heat vision, sure, it's really just pyrokinesis.

But super breath ? first, to generate winds he'd have to inhale far more air than his lungs could ever hold.

Second, super cold breath ? When you blow on something it removes heat, chilling it, but how does superman super-cool the air in his lungs ?

Really, these powers are a bit silly, and I'm okay without him having them.
There's plenty he can do already, and what he's got are the core powers
that make Superman who he is.

Yes, I know it's Superman and we have to suspend disbelief, but that's my opinion.

MOS rocked, bring on BM v SM ! Peace.

That was explained in the comics... and has to do with the ability to "breath" in space , his lunges hold so much air (much more than a simple human)... if you know the oxigen that put in the hospital to people who need it is cold, as much as it hurts.. so if the oxygen that the lunges hold gives him the ability to have the "freeze breeze"..
Maybe we have one way in the next movie that explains us as a more physical way...
Glad you liked the movie... :yay:

Spoilers ........after seeing Man Of Steel i have one problem if Superman can kill Zod by breaking his neck could someone of Zod's strength break Superman's neck, this to me seems to be a major weakness for continuing stories with stronger villains.

In theory, Supes can expel air out of his lungs with explosive force. But you’re correct - the amount of air he can hold in a single breath is limited to the physical size of his chest and lungs (i.e., “normal” for an adult male who’s roughly 6’2”, etc.). Mechanical devices with various valves, pistons and chambers can compress a lot of air into a small volume. But as far as we know, Supes’ internal anatomy is the same as ours. So he wouldn’t be able to compress large quantities of air any better than a typical human.

Second, super cold breath ? When you blow on something it removes heat, chilling it, but how does superman super-cool the air in his lungs?
The “Joule-Thomson effect” describes how gas - when forced through a small opening (and expands) - cools. (When using an aerosol product, perhaps you’ve noticed that the spray (and even the can) gets cold as you press the button.) So in that respect, “freeze breath” is accurate. But to achieve a dramatically frigid temperature, the air pressure would have to be at hurricane strength. And in the comics, Supes is often able to cool or freeze something without blowing it to smithereens. (In a L&C episode, Clark chilled a martini with a gentle exhale.)

Strictly speaking, neither of Supes’ breath powers (“wind” or “freeze”) could work as advertised. :word:

Spoilers ........after seeing Man Of Steel i have one problem if Superman can kill Zod by breaking his neck could someone of Zod's strength break Superman's neck, this to me seems to be a major weakness for continuing stories with stronger villains.

When it gets down to the geeky minutia and technicalities, the “internal logic” of super strength against invulnerability (which one prevails?) can get problematic. I think the comics took the (simplistic) view that a Kryptonian vs. Kryptonian battle essentially cancelled out most of the super-powered advantages. So presuming that a reasonably strong human could break another human’s neck, the same “physics” would apply between Superman and Zod.

Superman was stronger than Zod... 33 years on the yellow sun vs like 1 day.. Zod's only advantage was he was a great fighter and much experienced than Superman and he take this as his advantage...

Last edited:
In theory, Supes can expel air out of his lungs with explosive force. But you’re correct - the amount of air he can hold in a single breath is limited to the physical size of his chest and lungs (i.e., “normal” for an adult male who’s roughly 6’2”, etc.). Mechanical devices with various valves, pistons and chambers can compress a lot of air into a small volume. But as far as we know, Supes’ internal anatomy is the same as ours. So he wouldn’t be able to compress large quantities of air any better than a typical human.

The idea of Superman expelling a long term wind in line with what we saw from the kryptonians in Superman 2 is an absolute impossibility.

Since Superman's physiology does seem similar to ours, there is a precedence for increased long capacity in regular humans as evidenced with free divers. They use a process of gulping air that I believe is called lung packing. This allows them to hold their breath for far longer periods than "normal" humans.

So, it is conceivable that Superman, with preparation could definitely pack in far more oxygen that a human because his lungs would be able to handle a far greater level of pressure. Pressurized air does dramatically cool but I would rather not see extended superbreath or freeze breath in the MoS/DCCU movies.

The idea of Superman expelling a long term wind in line with what we saw from the kryptonians in Superman 2 is an absolute impossibility.

Since Superman's physiology does seem similar to ours, there is a precedence for increased long capacity in regular humans as evidenced with free divers. They use a process of gulping air that I believe is called lung packing. This allows them to hold their breath for far longer periods than "normal" humans.

So, it is conceivable that Superman, with preparation could definitely pack in far more oxygen that a human because his lungs would be able to handle a far greater level of pressure. Pressurized air does dramatically cool but I would rather not see extended superbreath or freeze breath in the MoS/DCCU movies.

I want freeze breath!!! the oxygen is cold... and if his lungese have the capacity to hold the oxygen in low temperatures.. we can see this happening...

The scene of the SV battle gave a pretty good example of how strong the kryptonians are. ( mo-cap man ) threw a locomotive at supes from about a half a mile away. thats roughly 250,000 lbs.
Supes handled him, or held his own pretty well before that, so that tells me they were just about even strength wise.
supes had the advantage of flight and heatvision.

The scene of the SV battle gave a pretty good example of how strong the kryptonians are. ( mo-cap man ) threw a locomotive at supes from about a half a mile away. thats roughly 250,000 lbs.
Supes handled him, or held his own pretty well before that, so that tells me they were just about even strength wise.
supes had the advantage of flight and heatvision.

Supes was stronger at this point, and stronger than all of the other Kryptonians, and I think this was born out right at the end with Zod, when Supes was able to get the strength advantage over him to force him into a choke hold and pin him down reasonably well with Zod trying to break the hold or even fly up.

What we don't know is how long Zod and co. did spend on Earth prior to the encounters. It was clear that they knew that Supes coming on board Black Zero was going to render his advantage (the scientist even said that his abilities were no good on the ship, so clearly he knew). I'm guessing that Zod's crew knew the effects similar to the way Jor-El predicted them and probably made a trip or two to Earth before the first world message and would have had some time exploring the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"