Superman Returns What Did Superman Returns Get Right?

In all honesty there was a lot that Superman Returns got right, its a good movie that is flawed and so people focus on the flaws.

All the Superman save scene's were superb, but there was some great acting there as well, Brandon was awesome as Superman/Clark, and was pitch perfect in most scene's.

The line "You wrote that the world doesnt need a saviour, but everyday I hear people crying for one." was delivered perfectly, as was his speech to Jason at the end.

There were some great emotional moments in the movie as well, I still love it and still wish we would have gotten a sequel.
Took the words right out of my mouth. IMO Superman Returns was the best Superman film we got to date. In the same one of the best Superman stories I have seen in a while in both comic, movie, and tv format.I think there were some faults with the movie but not many. People like to talk about Lois being miscast but if you look at how things were suppose to play out she would have grown into the role and while I thought Kate was a great Lois I didn't think she played the mother side to well. The real downside to the movie I saw was no super villain. I was interested to see what was going to happen between Lois, Superman, Jason, Richard. I also wanted to see where the sequel was heading as well in terms of growth and story.

As I said before it was not a perfect movie but it was a very good movie more than what some give it credit for. The one thing I wish is that they didn't cut it and released an uncut version. That or that they did the sequel through DC animated or by GN comic.

Took the words right out of my mouth. IMO Superman Returns was the best Superman film we got to date. In the same one of the best Superman stories I have seen in a while in both comic, movie, and tv format.I think there were some faults with the movie but not many. People like to talk about Lois being miscast but if you look at how things were suppose to play out she would have grown into the role and while I thought Kate was a great Lois I didn't think she played the mother side to well. The real downside to the movie I saw was no super villain. I was interested to see what was going to happen between Lois, Superman, Jason, Richard. I also wanted to see where the sequel was heading as well in terms of growth and story.

As I said before it was not a perfect movie but it was a very good movie more than what some give it credit for. The one thing I wish is that they didn't cut it and released an uncut version. That or that they did the sequel through DC animated or by GN comic.

Oh another Kate as Lois fan! There are so few of them. I didn't hate her in the role but I think she was miscast. I think she just came off way too young in the role and she didn't have the right charm/personality for Lois. I don't think she's a bad actress, and I really liked Lois' story in this film, but Kate was just too bland overall in the part for me, but unlike you I did like her as a mom!

That said, I'm a big fan of this film, think it's great and that it got A LOT right. Sure it's not perfect, but no superhero movie is, not even STM or TDK/BB/IM. I also think this film is just as good or even better than STM, and is for sure one of the best Superman stories out there.

Last edited:
Oh another Kate as Lois fan! There are so few of them. I didn't hate her in the role but I think she was miscast. I think she just came off way too young in the role and she didn't have the right charm/personality for Lois. I don't think she's a bad actress, and I really liked Lois' story in this film, but Kate was just too bland overall in the part for me, but unlike you I did like her as a mom!

That said, I'm a big fan of this film, think it's great and that it got A LOT right. Sure it's not perfect, but no superhero movie is, not even STM or TDK/BB/IM. I also think this film is just as good or even better than STM, and is for sure one of the best Superman stories out there.
Oh I am not a fan like that but I think she did do well. IMO I think it would have served her better if Jason wasn't her child but Richards as I think she looked to young to play a mom with a child that old. I did however think reporter Lois was done well. I loved the interaction between her and Superman and thought that was done great also. What's funny is the movie was not as hated as some would like you to believe. The majority of the reaction was almost like BB were people thought it was good but felt they should have loved it. People tend to forget Nolan's fame on Batman didn't take off until it was rumored that Ledger died because he went crazy doing the Joker and then people wanted to see what caused this. While TDK was good really Ledger's death sold that movie.

Oh I am not a fan like that but I think she did do well. IMO I think it would have served her better if Jason wasn't her child but Richards as I think she looked to young to play a mom with a child that old.

Yeah she was too young but as a mom myself I did like the way she acted as a mom. She seemed very loving towards her son, so I bought it.

I did however think reporter Lois was done well. I loved the interaction between her and Superman and thought that was done great also.

Agreed.

What's funny is the movie was not as hated as some would like you to believe. The majority of the reaction was almost like BB were people thought it was good but felt they should have loved it. People tend to forget Nolan's fame on Batman didn't take off until it was rumored that Ledger died because he went crazy doing the Joker and then people wanted to see what caused this. While TDK was good really Ledger's death sold that movie.

AGREED. Unfortunately there is so much revisionist history when it comes to these two franchises. People 'forget' too fast, but I don't. Still a good movie is a good movie, and SR is certainly one for many of us. We will always have it to enjoy. It's the real Superman 3.

Yeah she was too young but as a mom myself I did like the way she acted as a mom. She seemed very loving towards her son, so I bought it.

I thought that she did act well enough as a mother of Jason, she was not convincing to many as she looked very young to be a mom of a five year old.

Imagine this movie with the original cast (Chris Reeve as Supes and Magrot Kidder as mom of Jason !) :hehe:

AGREED. Unfortunately there is so much revisionist history when it comes to these two franchises. People 'forget' too fast, but I don't. Still a good movie is a good movie, and SR is certainly one for many of us. We will always have it to enjoy. It's the real Superman 3.

Yeah. The criticisms directed at SR would be easier to take if they issued from fans with exceptionally high standards for quality. But one gets the strong impression that dreck like SIII, SIV (and I’d place SII in the same category) are held with greater affection. Whatever is fueling the SR hatred, it’s not about objectively appraising the actual film.

I thought that she did act well enough as a mother of Jason, she was not convincing to many as she looked very young to be a mom of a five year old.

Whatever it is I don't hate her as Lois and she doesn't ruin the film for me. She actually has her good moments in it, imo.

Yeah. The criticisms directed at SR would be easier to take if they issued from fans with exceptionally high standards for quality. But one gets the strong impression that dreck like SIII, SIV (and I’d place SII in the same category) are held with greater affection. Whatever is fueling the SR hatred, it’s not about objectively appraising the actual film.

I take a lot of this hatred as typical internet hyperbole. :cwink:

Sure I can see why some might find it boring, but a bad/horrible film it isn't.

Do you think the law suit had any play in no making a SR sequel.

Don't you think it's a bit farfetched to think that one man's actions would have consequences for the entire crew?

Don't you think it's a bit farfetched to think that one man's actions would have consequences for the entire crew?

I see a Superman movie without the word superman in the title and a big change to the costume who is to say that they did not make a sequel because of a pending law suit and the fear of repercussions if seen things cave for less:ninja:

What I meant, and maybe I didn't phrased it well; Do you think, because one man crosses the line (sexual harrassment in this case) of what's acceptable people should look at everyone else too? This guy was a co-producer, it does not mean that everyone else is responsible for his 'crime' aswell...

People, please keep it in perspective. We're not looking at a president, or a superhero...
This having to explain myself, because sometimes I can't get the words right on first try (because I'm not an English native speaker!), is starting to wear on me sometimes...

What I meant, and maybe I didn't phrased it well; Do you think, because one man crosses the line (sexual harrassment in this case) of what's acceptable people should look at everyone else too? This guy was a co-producer, it does not mean that everyone else is responsible for his 'crime' aswell...

I believe Dozerman was referring to the big Siegel & Schuster lawsuit, not the Jon Peters one.

I believe Dozerman was referring to the big Siegel & Schuster lawsuit, not the Jon Peters one.

Yes i was referring to the Siegel and Schuster lawsuit and still wonder if it had any play in the not making a sequel

Yes i was referring to the Siegel and Schuster lawsuit and still wonder if it had any play in the not making a sequel
I don’t believe so. Despite SR’s lackluster box office (in relation to its budget), it was still fairly popular and warranted a sequel. If Singer had jumped into it right away, I think it would have happened. But he was determined to do Valkyrie first. That experienced delays; and then the writers’ strike happened. By that point, the precarious momentum for a sequel was gone.

Also, the fact that Alan Horn retired and Jeff Robinov became the President who was not a happy with the approach Singer had taken.

The plane rescue. That's all I can think of.

I don’t believe so. Despite SR’s lackluster box office (in relation to its budget), it was still fairly popular and warranted a sequel. If Singer had jumped into it right away, I think it would have happened. But he was determined to do Valkyrie first. That experienced delays; and then the writers’ strike happened. By that point, the precarious momentum for a sequel was gone.
And that's why a sequel did not happen the main reason. Singer took to long with Valkyrie. The production for that movie was suppose to be no more than a few months (4 at the max) but it took longer than expected and the WB on many occasions threaten to pull him from the project because he really didn't talk with them to much after WB wanted to get a sequel for SR off the ground right away. By the time he was ready to do a sequel for the movie the momentum as you said was gone and the lawsuit was really becoming a problem for the WB.

I have a question. When Lois tells Lex on the yacht that they won't let him get away with his land grab he says I will have advanced alien technology and weapons. Exactly what alien technology did he have to fight a strike from the U.S. or anyone else?

By the way, the reason they didn't make a sequel was because the studio didn't want it. Look how long it took for a Matrix sequel or the Star Trek sequel. It has nothing to do with the time between productions. They made The Hustler sequel 30 years after the first one.

I have a question. When Lois tells Lex on the yacht that they won't let him get away with his land grab he says I will have advanced alien technology and weapons. Exactly what alien technology did he have to fight a strike from the U.S. or anyone else?

We didn't see any of it. It was all in 'offscreenville' basically.

A fair criticism. The fabrication of at least one tool or weapon by Lex might have been interesting and provided more clarity (though this would hardly allay the complaints about Jason or the film’s overall tone). That said, the growing continent that was going to obliterate the coasts of many countries could reasonably be called a weapon on its own. And it might be assumed that the interstellar ship that Superman used was created using “crystal technology.”

That was just one of about 100 equally valid criticisms I have for the film. To me, I have never been more apathetic towards a film. Not one second in that film did I care one bit... about anything. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't like it. It's like a door that leads to a brick wall. So much hope and then nothing.

It could have been great, imagine the possibilities of Kryptonian weapons, creatures and technology. Instead, the only thing that they hurt Superman with is their shoes. I always liked Routh though.

The emotional ride Clark/Superman took through the movie......

Him turning on the TV and seeing nothing but chaos, something he could have prevented.

Him finding Lois' article "Why The World Doesn't Need Superman". As well as the line which was mentioned earlier...."You wrote that the world doesnt need a saviour, but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Lois and Superman seeing each other for the first time in 5 years.

Superman remembering what Jor-El had told him "Even though you've been raised as human you are not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way.

Stuff like that really brough out the best of Superman IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"