Superman Returns John Ottman on Superman Returns score

Great find! I'm listening and I'm liking! Lois theme included, new Lex theme, Superman's isolation theme, etc...

And yes, THE KRYTPON THEME IS THERE!!

Nice...thanks Afropik.

very nice catch.

Main Title
Love Theme
Krypton Theme

all returning. I hope the Krypton theme is a little more prominent than he's saying it is, but yeah, I'm sure this should be pretty reassuring for a LOT of people.

OST comes out June 27th with soundtrack.net having an exclusive 'first listen' late May to early June.

meaning the whole thing will probably leak around the end of the month. :)

Fatboy Roberts said:
meaning the whole thing will probably leak around the end of the month. :)

Yup, that's what I was thinking. I know the ROTS score was leaked well over a month before it's release.

Very very good news. I am a happy camper.

this is a really cool find. Everything JO said sounds good...

especially the part about the opening credits being shorter than the original ;)

Awesome...:D Awesome!

Dude...I'm a happy man.

John Ottman saying that any other theme is sacrilegious...Priceless! We get a Lex theme, and a Superman Personal theme...this sounds awesome!

Excellent news. I hope it lives up to our expectations. But with the williams theme included, that's 50% successful score already. :)

I'm wondering what that "personal" theme is about. Hopefully a variation of the slow and melodically somber theme at the end of Superman II when Lois and Clark are at the Planet right before the 'kiss'.

I know the ROTS score was leaked well over a month before it's release.

Yeah, that was fun ;) I remember writing the first full review of that thing on the web. Good times. Until the score fanboys found it. I had NO idea I didn't know THAT much about John Williams. It was sorta embarrasing.

Fatboy Roberts said:
Yeah, that was fun ;) I remember writing the first full review of that thing on the web. Good times. Until the score fanboys found it. I had NO idea I didn't know THAT much about John Williams. It was sorta embarrasing.

I wrote one as well on my blog, dated April 10th of last year. A few SW sites listed it.

ahh..the good times. :)

That movie has also aged pretty well. I mean, it's only a year out, but it REALLY feels Star Wars to me. To the point where it's almost neck and neck with the original, for me. It's no Empire, but it's definitely what Jedi should have been. at least in terms of feeling.

Fatboy Roberts said:
ahh..the good times. :)

That movie has also aged pretty well. I mean, it's only a year out, but it REALLY feels Star Wars to me. To the point where it's almost neck and neck with the original, for me. It's no Empire, but it's definitely what Jedi should have been. at least in terms of feeling.

Very much so agreed. I watched part of it the other night and will finish it tomorrow night. I've seen the movie 6 or 7 times, and I never get tired of it like I do with the other prequels. It has so many great moments that easily outnumber the few 'typical bad prequel entry' moments, if that makes any sense. Everything about it is sooo much much improved over the previous two. It's like it's a totally different film crew. It's like how 'Ran' was to 'Kagemusha'.

It's a shame Lucas didn't start the prequels off on that foot instead of ending it that way.

I'll agree with you on Attack of the Clones, but Phantom Menace has definitely grown on me. I don't watch it all that much, but when I do--for all it's goofy, corny missteps and REALLY bad pacing near the middle, it does feel like a Star Wars movie. Not a particularly GREAT Star Wars movie, but it really is it's own beast there. Pretty unique.

I still think AOTC is a slightly better, more entertaining film, but in hindsight, PM has a much more substantial, Star Wars-esque feel and story. It's an all-around better story at that. AOTC is just filler and almost unnecessary, but it has a few more 'better' parts for me, and Ewan really sinks into the role well. When he scolds Anakin for losing his lightsaber, and says the line about not losing it, that "it's your life", that was so Alec Guinness.

hey hey... go to the MF.com boards for this....this is superman, people ;)

If I want ******ation unfettered and a psychotic shut-in monitoring my emails, I'll go to mf.com, yeah. Star Wars discussion? Not so much anymore. Well, not so much since about 40 of us up and left the place

but that's neither here nor there.

The thing I find coolest about this news is that Ottman surprised himself with the score. He had his preconception of what he was going to do and it turned out the movie dictated something different, and it sounds like it's going to fit in VERY well with Williams' score.

I like how he said he started subconsciously straying back to the Williams-esque style that he was deliberately trying to avoid. It shows the power of the work in that regard.

It surprises me because I imagined this guy having a big head about it, like he didn't want to stoop to merely "covering" pre-existing material like the Williams theme. I guess if I was in his place, I'd want to spend my time making new material that I will be known and hopefully respected for, not because of someone else's work. Nice to see that isn't the case.

I really dug how respectful Ottman is towards the genius that is Williams. He also seems genuinely concerned with people's attitude and feeling towards one of the most famous motifs in cinema history, and he realizes the dangers of changing or omitting it.

That's what was refreshing. All the talk previous to this was "Ottman is sorta sneering at all the slavish fanboyism" and of course, I knew that was colored a little by angry slavish fanboyism itself, but I did think he was going to try as hard as he could to not marginalize himself. And he did. It just turned out that reinventing the wheel is stupid. he can work on the transmission a little, funk out the chassis, and he realized that. I think, though, that him being co-editor of the film itself REALLY helped out with that. It's not like he saw some storyboards, went off in his own world, and then was delivered a rough cut for spotting sessions. He was CUTTING the rough cut. Changes the way you percieve the flick, and changes the choices you thought you were going to make, I'd imagine.

Fatboy Roberts said:
If I want ******ation unfettered and a psychotic shut-in monitoring my emails, I'll go to mf.com, yeah. Star Wars discussion? Not so much anymore. Well, not so much since about 40 of us up and left the place

but that's neither here nor there.

The thing I find coolest about this news is that Ottman surprised himself with the score. He had his preconception of what he was going to do and it turned out the movie dictated something different, and it sounds like it's going to fit in VERY well with Williams' score.
haha fair enough...i actually haven't been there since like...last summer...ish, but i did recognize your name lol
as for Ottman's preconception being different than the final result, i agree with you there and the fact that he sounds pleased with what hes accomplished is also a comforting thing...

True indeed.

By the way, your sig has always made me chuckle every time I see it.

At least we know the opening isn't going to be as long as the original movies. And I'm sorta hoping we get that Krypton theme REALLY quickly. As time has gone by, I've enjoyed THAT more than the actual Main Title march.

It is wonderful that they will retain the Krypton and the love theme in addition to the main theme, which of course we already knew. The work by John Williams in Superman is immortal and a piece of history, it was impossible to see how something so dominantly associated with Superman could be tinkered with too much and Ottoman's acceptance is simply a manifestation of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"