Comics What did you think about Morrison's run?

X-Corporation would have been an excellent title in itself. Different stories, rotating casts...seeing updates of characters you haven't seen in a long time or never thought you would have seen again. it was an awesome idea and should have had its own series. there still would have been room for other team books like x-factor and x-force and young x-men/new x-men

RAve was a drug that enhanced a mutant's powers, Kick was a drug that enhanced a mutant's powers... both were highly addictive. I see no difference between them

RAve was a drug that enhanced a mutant's powers, Kick was a drug that enhanced a mutant's powers... both were highly addictive. I see no difference between them
You're not reading Valechan. It may have been the same drug in essence, but Morrison and Claremont both did very different things with them. Wrote completely different stories, and although one may question its quality, Morrison definitely had the more contemporary and mature execution.

I definetly see where Valechan is coming from. Morrison took old concepts and put his own spin yet gets the credit for being the original innovator of the idea

Nihil nova sub sol. There is nothing new under the sun. All creative expressions are but remixes of what was always there. Morrison's run in my opinion did very exciting things with the concepts that had already been in play for decades before him.

I definetly see where Valechan is coming from. Morrison took old concepts and put his own spin yet gets the credit for being the original innovator of the idea
I wouldn't say Morrison really gets credit for creating anything, at least not for Kick. Credit for revitalizing the franchise? Oh hell yeah, and much deserved too.

I wouldn't say Morrison really gets credit for creating anything, at least not for Kick. Credit for revitalizing the franchise? Oh hell yeah, and much deserved too.
well that I can agree with. The X-men had grown stale and stagnant since the late 90s when Davis took over and Morrisons' New X-men finally brought back some real interest in the books

did people at least like The Twelve story? ive only read the one issue where Cyclops is fused.

I loved the Twelve, it was a terrific story with a lot of different angles and it ended with Cyclops' death, what more cna you ask??? :D

What did Morrison bring that was "innovative"? Retconning the Phoenix Force? Creating a bald evil twin? Massacring Mutants? Altering the Imperial Guard? His runj was crap and it wasn't innovative at all... My eyes can't even stand to read the Weapon Plus story, it's just such a big load of crap...

I wanted to like the Twelve, but I found myself disappointed.

I didnt think the Twelve was so bad. It was as good as it should have been considering the buildup it got over the years but it was decent. It was the best thing that Davis wrote during his stint

The Twelve was pretty disappointing, considering it had been built up for decades.

And Weapon Plus was awesome. Micro-sentials were awesome. The genocide of Genosha was (morid, but...) awesome. I won't pander to every negative comment, but you would need to be deaf, dumb and blind to not see Morrison's genius, or at the very least see that he gave the mythos a huge injection of energy(you are free to interpret the energy as you may).

I liked the Twelve, but then again, I was like... 13.

As to Morrison. You might not like his stories, but he undoubtedly gave the X-Men the impulse it needed to make it in the new century.

Of course, that is why most of what he did was retconned right away :p

Because....."People fear what they do not undertand." -Storm

Morrison rewrote the mythos. With him gone, there was a creative vacuum. Instead of filling that vacuum with a new creative impetus,[the editors did nothing, bringing in so-so talents, thus] it was left to cave in on itself and open a wormhole to the past, hence the current state of X-affairs.

I actually think the X-line has been great post-Morrison. deciMation was the best thing to happen to it in years. The creation of X-Factor, change to New X-men, and a few months later Carey and Brubaker on X-men and Uncanny respectively and AXM (when it came out) made the line as a whole the best its been since the mid 90s. Unforutnetly MC shook things up and maybe not necesarily for the better but we're only 2 months out of that and its a bit too early to judge it but so far, I think its off to a good start

It didn't happen that quickly, Havok.

Yes, the Madrox mini followed by the establishment of the X-Factor proper were huge things for we lowly X-fans. We got lucky there, and Peter David got lucky there, and damn I'd be a liar if I said I didn't love the man.

But you're forgetting the, what, one or two years where people did almost nothing with Decimation? Decimation, in and of itself, was largely useless. House of M came, and it did nothing. Nobody addressed it. We had horrible talent on the books. Claremont's return was godawful, and Milligan on Adjectiveless was a cluster**** of incredibly horrible proportions.

Carey and Brubaker's arrivals, finally, after too much waiting, yes, those were definite benefits. Messiah Complex has certainly shaken things up for the better - finally dealing with House of M, which was supposed to involve the mutants, a few years after it was written and published and read. Nothing like finally catching up!

Oh yes, the books werent so good immediately following Morrisons' departure bc we did have to sit through Claremont and Milligan, but things on their 2 core books got alot better, once they left. As far as deciMation goes, I thought the spinoff books that came out of and or revamped bc of it were good with the exception of New Excalibur. That book was a mess from the beginning.

I was basically trying to make the point while Morrison's run was good, it wasnt the only good we've had in the X-line in the past several years. The books have done good without him and its nto the mess that some people seem to think it has become since his departure

But the X-line did get less popular and less good after his departure. You can't really argue that. They've gotten better, yes, but after his departure, they turned junky for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"