What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by Drizzle, May 3, 2013.

1. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

I find this thread easier to contribute when you actually like the film, then it becomes less of a rant. Ok here goes.

1. Maya Hansen, no matter how you see it her role was easily the weak link, and franky she could have been played by a lesser actress because there really wasn't much for her to do, if Black wanted to go noir he could have really gone all out on the femme fatale element.

2. Mandarin. yeah i liked the twist and I love Aldrich as a villain, but lets all be honest, we all wanted to see more of Kingsley as the Mandarin. Heck! even if they just added more of his performance in the first half of the film and kept the twist I'd be happier.

3. Hot Pepper. I thought it was pretty useless to fake out her death like that and have an extremis moment, it kinda ruined a pretty great climax.

4. No big Iron Patriot/War Machine fight sequence, Cheadle was cool but he deserved some real action in his new flashy suit.

5. Not enough Trevor. If they werent going to give us kingsley as mandarin the least they could do is give us more of what he really is. Would have really lessened the blow in my opinion, if it felt less like a glorified cameo.

6. The chinese stuff. I know they shoehorned stuff in for the chinese version and that it doesnt affect those of us who didn't see that version, but they could have done so well with it especially if there was a sideplot with removing tonys shrapnel, it could have felt less rushed.

That's about it from me.

Oh and I'm glad there was not AC/DC...i mean wow, why would i want AC/DC instead of some great heroic score? (which we got mind you)

2. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Besides "The Mandarin" I guess my main issue is something others have touched on as well, which is the power of Extremis in relation to the suits. I mean, Thor was struggling with IM in Avengers, and presumably, that's a weaker armor version from the newer Marks & Iron Patriot in this movie. But basically any Extremis augmented touch leaves the suits completely incapacitated.

3. Ultra Nolanite

Ultra Nolanite Well-Known Member

Where can I read it ? Got a link ?

4. ThreadPool

ThreadPool Thank you, SHH

Dang it! Can't find it at the moment. I'll put the link up when I find it.

5. Ledlunar

Ledlunar Well-Known Member

I hated when the president was tied up and Rhodes took control of the situation on that storage container by shooting chains and swinging around like spiderman then flipping to his feet while shooting the last chain suspending the president in that patriot armor and going "you look damn good mr president" I scoffed like the comic book guy at that scene. They made Rhodes react like he was injected with the super soldier serum

also I wish the president just got killed on the airplane... you never see that in a movie...

Extremis Pepper irritated me too. mainly cause she seemingly killed The Mandarin. if Tony killed him after thinking Pepper died then found her all eff'ed up & infected after Id have liked that much better...

6. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Well-Known Member

It seemed this film wanted to be more about the people inside the suits rather than the suits themselves. Yes, Cheadle's action sequences without the suit were kinda kung fu fighting (maybe a bit silly for an Air Force officer).

I was hoping that there would at least be a brief War Machine battle sequence at the end, but nope, he simply rescues the president and flies away.:huh:

7. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a fundamental question for me. In the comics, does Stark ever find a treatment to remove all of the fragments in his chest? Is that a movie-only thing?

8. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Why would they even be comparable? Bruce is as much a genius if not more so and he can't figure it out.

9. kedrell

He does in the comics. He basically needs an artificial heart. Granted, it's been decades since I read comics so I have no idea what they've changed since.

10. kedrell

Wow, what an ***hole d-bag. No wonder this movie was crap. And for the record they didn't have to be from space, though since they've already established aliens having existed I fail to see how it wouldn't work. But they simply could've been advanced terrestrial tech like Tony's own technology is. The fans just wanted them to actually have a purpose other than a stupid gotcha plot twist.

11. roach

roach I am the night

He did get an artificial heart however a few years later a chick shoots him, paralyzingly him....once again technology saves his life.

12. roach

roach I am the night

Yeah I don't get the hatred for space rings when they stopped an alien invasion in Avengers....we had the cosmic cube for Christs sake

13. Spideysays

Spideysays Well-Known Member

I haven't read my issues in a while but I believe the extremis arc itself healed him from the fake heart/arc reactor necessity. It replaced and healed all his organs as well as turned him into a high level technopath of sorts.

14. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm amazed that hasn't come up.

Maybe in the next movie?

15. Superhero 101

Couple things I didn't understand about the movie is more like plot holes in the movies like why didn't the president use iron patriot armor to bust out of the strings he was attached too instead of Rhodes Doing it?

Another nitpick is that why did tony remove the shrapnel when he could have done that in im2 it could have saved him a whole lot of trouble from the palladium poisoning

16. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Well-Known Member

I believe it only works if the person is "authorized" to use the suit. Hence only Rhodes and Killian's man can use it (he had some role in its redesign). Presumably that way they can avoid grand theft suit.

17. ThreadPool

I won't go as far as to say it's crap. I agree with everything else. This movie presents the first time I've enjoyed a movie so much and had so much to complain about.

18. ThreadPool

:doh:
    BIG issue I had. What the heck was he doing after that?! Forget it. It'd probably be, yet another, joke.

19. REPULSIVE BLAST

killians goon had a hand in its redesign? what a paint job!? being that tony must have designed it being that he has a warmachine 2.0 prototype (with cool flames) I think its just a care of Black forgetting and having a clear dislike for teh whole idea of these suits!

20. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

it happens in the comics

21. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

The movie said AIM did the redesign, I bet it was more than a paint job

22. FlawlessVictory

FlawlessVictory Well-Known Member

I could care less about space rings and how close certain aspects are to his comic book counterpart. What disappointed me was that "The Mandarin" in the film was shaping up to be such an epic villain. His voice used, the footage shown, the threats, there was such a great sense of dread with the character whenever he appeared. He was becoming one of my favorite comic book villains and then he was completely reduced to a joke, with no payoff that I was hoping to see. It was such a let down.

23. roach

roach I am the night

while it is true that it happened in the comics...it happening in this movie drained all the tension out of IM2. It wasnt a new break through in medical science.

24. MichaelChen

MichaelChen Well-Known Member

In fairness, that's actually kind of true to the comics, where he sometimes tries to pretend to be a Ra's Al Ghul type, but then turns out to be a raging maniac more akin to Gorilla Grodd or Bane, maybe worse.

25. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

I don't think the people who disliked the twist care that it's in any way true to the comics. They just don't believe it served this particular film.