Iron Man 3 What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

I meant he wouldn't be able to save anyone if there wasn't a suit he could use, which was said in response to some people claiming that Tony Stark didn't need the suit to be a hero. Even though this scene states otherwise.

Ah I see, now it makes sense

Anyone notice tons of similarities between this movie and the Dark Knight trilogy. I know I may get hammered for saying this but it seems like some parts were directly copied

I only slightly got that when someone mentioned (can't remember the exact quote) that they were gonna destroy Tony. Which slightly reminded me of Bane's plan to slowly destroy Bruce. Other than that nothing springs to mind other than we are duped in who actually is the main villain of the film.

One thing I'm happy that Iron Man Three did was not have its friggin bad guy caught! Then have it part of the plan and him escape. Both TDK and TDKR done it. As did Avengers, probably Star Trek 2, Avengers, Iron Man 2 as well as many others.

But anyway things that annoyed me -

- Mandarin twist (though not as much as others purely because of Kingsley)
- The suits. Always being there and seemingly able to do anything and everything. (the hand flying off and saving Stark was a real irk)
- The auto pilot. Ruins tension
- Over the top humour
- Supernatural enemies. Didn't sit right with me with the previous films.
- Stark just killing people, it was fine IM1 but here he was just blowing up people who were already knocked out.
- Slow start. I love slow starts (TDKR's first act is my favourite part of the film) but this one just didn't seem like it was going anywhere.
- Think Rebecca Hall is great but she was given a duff hand here
- Barely any Rhodey
- Kingsley incredibly IN-CRED-IB-LY wasted! Such huge potential. More than enough to carry the film.

I only slightly got that when someone mentioned (can't remember the exact quote) that they were gonna destroy Tony. Which slightly reminded me of Bane's plan to slowly destroy Bruce. Other than that nothing springs to mind other than we are duped in who actually is the main villain of the film.

One thing I'm happy that Iron Man Three did was not have its friggin bad guy caught! Then have it part of the plan and him escape. Both TDK and TDKR done it. As did Avengers, probably Star Trek 2, Avengers, Iron Man 2 as well as many others.

But anyway things that annoyed me -

- Mandarin twist (though not as much as others purely because of Kingsley)
- The suits. Always being there and seemingly able to do anything and everything. (the hand flying off and saving Stark was a real irk)
- The auto pilot. Ruins tension
- Over the top humour
- Supernatural enemies. Didn't sit right with me with the previous films.
- Stark just killing people, it was fine IM1 but here he was just blowing up people who were already knocked out.
- Slow start. I love slow starts (TDKR's first act is my favourite part of the film) but this one just didn't seem like it was going anywhere.
- Think Rebecca Hall is great but she was given a duff hand here
- Barely any Rhodey
- Kingsley incredibly IN-CRED-IB-LY wasted! Such huge potential. More than enough to carry the film.
Do you mean the guy in the fountain? He wasn't knocked out, he was still moving.

I meant he wouldn't be able to save anyone if there wasn't a suit he could use, which was said in response to some people claiming that Tony Stark didn't need the suit to be a hero. Even though this scene states otherwise.

Precisely. People calling Tony Stark a hero because he was a madman with a gun in Miami is just laughable IMO. Face it, A LOT of heroic stuff would become impossible without the suits. And thats why this film is such a letdown because it's full of contradictions like this.

Unlike a lot of you guys, I enjoyed the film a lot but something caught my attention while watching it... very minor though.

In the end when [BLACKOUT]Tony calls for all his suits[/BLACKOUT] I was almost positive that Rhodey would have donned the War Machine suit for the last time. I mean, they set it up much earlier in the film with "WARMACHINEROX" and Rhodey clearly liked that suit more than the Iron Patriot. When Rhodey asks him about the suit, I think Tony says he can't because the suits aren't coded to him, which makes ZERO sense since [BLACKOUT]he locks the 42 on to Killian in the final battle[/BLACKOUT]. It could have been cool seeing Rhodey in the War Machine suit.

Unlike a lot of you guys, I enjoyed the film a lot but something caught my attention while watching it... very minor though.

In the end when [BLACKOUT]Tony calls for all his suits[/BLACKOUT] I was almost positive that Rhodey would have donned the War Machine suit for the last time. I mean, they set it up much earlier in the film with "WARMACHINEROX" and Rhodey clearly liked that suit more than the Iron Patriot. When Rhodey asks him about the suit, I think Tony says he can't because the suits aren't coded to him, which makes ZERO sense since [BLACKOUT]he locks the 42 on to Killian in the final battle[/BLACKOUT]. It could have been cool seeing Rhodey in the War Machine suit.

Ummm he LOCKED Killian into his suit and blew it up...it was an obvious trap...that has ZERO to do with piloting. so he puts Rhodey in a shell and he's stuck? is that what you want?

The Mark 42 could do that, the other suits couldn't. The 42 doesn't arrive until late in the final battle but it also saves Pepper in the attack on Tony's house.

Also, where would this War Machine suit come from? Rhodes *had* the War Machine suit: its the one that got refitted and repainted as Iron Patriot.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but the final battle was sort of disappointing I felt, especially considering I really liked every action scene prior to it. Somewhat strange that some of the man to man fights were more exciting to me than a giant fleet of robots against an army of superhumans, but it just lacked a lot of urgency. Probably didn't help that a lot of early hype was favorably comparing it to The Avengers final battle.

I hated the kid actor he sucked.
And the way almost every dramatic situation must end with a joke of some sort, which is a problem I had with Avengers as well.

Last edited:
The main thing I didn't really like was the lack of AC/DC music.

That along with:
The filmsiness of the suits, I mean the Mark III took a hit from a tank in the 1st movie, The Mark V and War Machine did battle against dozens of drones in the 2nd, and these extremis guys are able to take them out left and right no problem.

Looking back to what Tony said about the arc reactor in The Avengers:

Tony Stark: You know, I've got a cluster of shrapnel, trying every second to crawl its way into my heart.
[Stark points at the mini-arc reactor in his chest]
Tony Stark: This stops it. This little circle of light. It's part of me now, not just armor. It's a... terrible privilege.
Bruce Banner: But you can control it.
Tony Stark: Because I learned how.

I think this is part of the reason why Iron Man 3's ending feels so clunky. When it came to the arc reactor, they tried to give Tony a forced resolution when there wasn't a problem or a conflict there to begin with.

I enjoyed the movie SO much more than 2, but I do have a few big problems with it besides "The Mandarin".

The Extremis soldiers' ability to shut down the armors.
"Hey War Machine Iron Patriot! I touched you. You are now completely incapacitated." :dry:

I would've had NO problem with
the shrapnel being removed if there was any kind of buildup. There was zero. In fact every Iron Man appearance in movies before completely contradicted the end of 3. "My story as Iron Man is complete. By the way I can get that metal out of my chest no problem now!"

The Air Force One scene was great... Until they said, "You know what would be great right here? Some physical comedy! Boom! Nailed it."
:dry:

Just caught it now...not necessarily disappointing but it's sad to know that there's a damned good movie somewhere in there amongst a lot of the nonsense and goofiness.

Off the top, the film is super nonchalant with all the crap that is going on...just way too glib...and I mean Way! Too! Glib! There is a complete lack of drama with all of the one-liners along with the other heartless/soul-less attempts at humour which get exhausting after awhile and becomes near cringe-inducing at some points.

Then there's the kid who was poorly written and who was just a bad actor. Rhodey doesn't do all that much, Rebecca Hall does even less. The Extremis soldiers' powers were not clearly defined enough...they are seemingly invincible at points, yet don't really do much in final fight.

[BLACKOUT]Kingsley was fun but was too much of a goof (writing at fault again) plus his reveal was horrendously handled. Mandarin reveal had no drama to it nor was there really any sense of build up to it. Killian has no memorable dialogue at all and is not a memorable villain whatsoever despite a tepidly cool fight.[/BLACKOUT]

Vice President subplot was crazy dumb and completely unnecessary.

I disliked a few things and my biggest problem is the Mandarin twist But I ain't as pissed about it much as others are(never liked him much in the comics and am mostly upset cause of Kingley's awesome performance just for the character to turn out like it did)

Just caught it now...not necessarily disappointing but it's sad to know that there's a damned good movie somewhere in there amongst a lot of the nonsense and goofiness.

Off the top, the film is super nonchalant with all the crap that is going on...just way too glib...and I mean Way! Too! Glib! There is a complete lack of drama with all of the one-liners along with the other heartless/soul-less attempts at humour which get exhausting after awhile and becomes near cringe-inducing at some points.

Then there's the kid who was poorly written and who was just a bad actor. Rhodey doesn't do all that much, Rebecca Hall does even less. The Extremis soldiers' powers were not clearly defined enough...they are seemingly invincible at points, yet don't really do much in final fight.

[BLACKOUT]Kingsley was fun but was too much of a goof (writing at fault again) plus his reveal was horrendously handled. Mandarin reveal had no drama to it nor was there really any sense of build up to it. Killian has no memorable dialogue at all and is not a memorable villain whatsoever despite a tepidly cool fight.[/BLACKOUT]

Vice President subplot was crazy dumb and completely unnecessary.

That's it for me too. The humor was too much. Like I said, they killed most of the momentum of the Air Force One sequence with that immediate attempt at a laugh.

I gotta disagree on Rhodey though. I feel like his time was used very well, and seemed to be somewhat important compared to IM2. It felt like he was just there to be there in the second one. I would've liked a lot more time in the suit. And not to set up more humor!:cmad:

I also agree with the Mandarin reveal. Something was off from the second Tony stepped in the mansion. I could just feel it.

That along with:
The filmsiness of the suits, I mean the Mark III took a hit from a tank in the 1st movie, The Mark V and War Machine did battle against dozens of drones in the 2nd, and these extremis guys are able to take them out left and right no problem.

I think this has something to do with the fact that their was no one in the suits. Plus its clear that Tony had been building them quickly, while deprived of sleep.

ThreadPool: The Extremis soldiers' ability to shut down the armors.
"Hey War Machine Iron Patriot! I touched you. You are now completely incapacitated."

They mention more then once in the film that AIM was involved with the re branding and development of Iron Patriot. Which implies, they knew, or implanted a weakness in the armor.

That makes sense. But it was weird how easy it was to shut it down but then they had a hell of a time getting him out of the armor. You'd think if that was the case they would've thought of that too. It was still really annoying. Mostly because it deprived us of any actual War Machine action.

Well, gee Tony, if it was so easy to get the shrapnel removed why didn't you do it before instead of creating a whole new element to power yourself in IM2?

Shrapnel removed--cool
Way they did it---uncool

The plot twist and that they had an opportunity for something different regarding the villain, but it was yet another rich businessman.

Iron Man - Rich partner is the villain.

Iron Man 2 - Company's rival is a rich business and one of the villains.

Iron Man 3 - Another rich businessman that wants more power and ends up being the one that was pulling the strings all along.

The plot twist and that they had an opportunity for something different regarding the villain, but it was yet another rich businessman.

Iron Man - Rich partner is the villain.

Iron Man 2 - Company's rival is a rich business and one of the villains.

Iron Man 3 - Another rich businessman that wants more power and ends up being the one that was pulling the strings all along.

I chalk that up to being that they are supposed to represent kind of twisted visions of Tony. Killian and Tony both were focused on "upgrading" themselves. Killian with extremis and Tony with his armors.

Well, gee Tony, if it was so easy to get the shrapnel removed why didn't you do it before instead of creating a whole new element to power yourself in IM2?

Shrapnel removed--cool
Way they did it---uncool

Although that brings up a great question of what would have made a satisfying removal?

Short of Magneto ripping it from him like he did with Logan's Admantium skeleton that one time...

I didn't like the shrapnel removal since it does make Iron Man 2 sort of meaningless as well as that Avengers scene and what happens the next time that Loki or someone has a "glow stick of destiny"? He'll be easily possessed just like Hawkeye was.

I was also disappointed about destroying the suits so soon after Pepper said how she now understood how he felt with them. I would have liked Iron Man, Rescue and War Machine teaming up in the future.

I was disappointed that Hansen was actually a bad guy because I felt like they didn't set it up well. They made it seem like Tony blew her off and BOOM bad guy.

I thought there was a lot of sloppy script writing. Why mention the kid's sister multiple times and never show her? It got to the point where I thought the kid must have made her up.

That's what sucked about the removal of the shrapnel. It was so important previously. To cast it aside during a five minute wrap-up was disappointing.
Also, Shane Black's assessment of the displeasure from fans over the Mandarin is ignorant.
"Oh, I wanted SPACE RINGS!!!" Don't be an idiot. My displeasure is from it being yet another joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"