Iron Man 3 What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Most of the movie felt like a middle finger to the fans of the comic books...

[BLACKOUT]- Mandarin "twist" was terrible. For comparison, the Mandarin has appeared in 181 Marvel comics since his creation (Source: Marvel Wikia). Killian has appeared in ... 1 page of 1 issue. Killian's personality was stolen from the Mandarin.
- The absolute raping of the Mandarin, Tony's arch-nemesis
- The overload on humor/lack of serious. I was rolling my eyes at lame jokes and ruined serious scenes throughout the whole film.
- The lack of screen time for the Iron Man suit(s). This is Iron Man 3, NOT Tony Stark 3.
- Iron Patriot is an awful character. War Machine is so much more deserving of screen time. I love Rhodey but Iron Patriot was cheesy and ultimately worthless.
[/BLACKOUT]

I hate to be so negative but I've never been more disappointed in a movie in my life. Easily the worst Marvel Studios movie and I've loved everything else (even Iron Man 2 was okay).

[BLACKOUT]- Mandarin "twist" was terrible. For comparison, the Mandarin has appeared in 181 Marvel comics since his creation (Source: Marvel Wikia). Killian has appeared in ... 1 page of 1 issue. Killian's personality was stolen from the Mandarin.
[/BLACKOUT]

god that is an amazing point....

Sigh. well you aren't alone man. yours is the general consensus 'round here it seems.

To me
this movie seemed like they were trying to put the genie back in the bottle that was Avengers. Tony threatens a terrorist and no one says a thing or upgrades security. Tony gets attacked and no one bats an eye. I realize people complained about shield and the Avengers stuff in the second movie but he's part of the Avengers now...and no appearance???
Tony is so freaked out about the events of Avengers that he builds an army of suits. So what changed at the end of the movie that he decided that he didn't need an army of suits anymore? Especially after everyone he knew was attacked???
also from a screenwriting standpoint it is bad form to have anyone but the hero dispatch the villain...though i dont see why he could survive the suit blowing up but not Peppers blow up thing???

Last edited:
1-The Mandarin's twist is just the same twist used in "Batman Begins" with Ken Watanabe's Ra's Al Ghul, but trying to be funny and failing miserably.

Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was hyped as "the best cbm villain performance since Heath Ledger's Joker" by many fans that expected a memorable battle between Iron Man and his archinemesis. Most of pics, trailers and tv spots made fans dream about how badass Kingsley's Mandarin was going to be... X-D

I just loved these comments I read somewhere else:

2-Guy Pearce's character is just a copy/paste of Jim Carrey's Edward Nigma from "Batman Forever" (even the haircut is the same):

bat20.jpg

Just watch IM3 again and then watch "Batman Forever", then tell me it's not the same f**king character (without Carrey's funny faces and the drag queen looks).

Ugly nutty professor is ignored by billonaire, he is mad about it, he uses his inventions to become a playboy billonaire as well, then flirts with the protagonist's redhead girlfriend (Kidman, Paltrow), and ultimately goes insane until he is stopped by our hero. Same story arc, same character. I expected that he would scream at the end: "I'm The Riddler!!!" instead of "I'm The Mandarin!!!". XD

3-Maya Hansen is Sylar: "I'm good. Now I'm bad. Now I'm good again. Now I'm dead." Unnecessary and ridiculous character, and a real shame becaise Rebecca Hall deserved a much better role.

4-Disney's executives:

-"How can we make this movie more appealing for kids?"

-"Let's add an unnecesary little sidekick."

-"Yes, every kid in the world will dream about being Iron Man's pal, tons of toys and merchandising will be sold. Cheers."

Do you remember that Batman TAS's episode where Batman is knocked out and a kid finds him unconscious on his batmobile and takes him to his basement? I'm sure some of the writers of this movie has watched that episode and thought that it could be great to use a similar plotline for this film... But in that episode, it made sense because Batman was KO, however in IM3, Tony Stark chooses the help of a kid over calling SHIELD, Captain America, the FBI, the army or any of his thousands of employees...

He is going to face The Mandarin and all of his soldiers with a couple of plastic guns that he has made with the stuff that he has found in a supermarket... This guy is a former arms dealer, a billonaire, an avenger, SHIELD has been behind his ass for 3 consecutive films (but is nowhere to be found on this particular one), he has armors in the Stark Tower, and he has a secret protocol to remotely call dozens of armors from below his recently destroyed beach house (and he could have used said protocol to save his house, his girl and himself when they were attacked before, but he didn't, he rather risks Pepper's life and die under Mandarin's attack), but he goes to the place where The Mandarin is hidden with just a couple of lame tricks, all by himself... What a genius (as he called himself in The Avengers). XD

5-He finally remembers that he has a collection of armors waiting to be used at the end of the movie, which is the biggest toy commercial ever made. XD

6-Said armors seem to be useless against the extremis guys and is ultimately Pepper the one who has to kick the villain's ass to save Tony's, who then decides to destroy all the remaining armors even before he has checked out if Killian is finally dead and won't come back in a question of seconds like he has done just a moment before.

Also who cares how many billions all those armors have cost, he could have used them to save world (or his ass) in "The Avengers 2" or "Iron Man 4", but he will rather just waste many other billions building new armors when he could have used that same money to feed african kids instead.

7- I could go on forever, but my point is that the movie is just a huge disappointment and a failure of epic proportions. :csad:
dude i totally agree! especially that cornball kid stuff!. as for that twist i knew right away that dude was going to be the real bad guy! hell they even told you he was right at the start of the movie! i was throughly disappointed by this flick

Marvel Studios is allowed to do their own thing without interference from Disney. The kid was there because Marvel wanted the kid there. They seem to have a thing for throwaway characters.

dude i totally agree! especially that cornball kid stuff!. as for that twist i knew right away that dude was going to be the real bad guy! hell they even told you he was right at the start of the movie! i was throughly disappointed by this flick

Most of the movie felt like a middle finger to the fans of the comic books...

- The absolute raping of the Mandarin, Tony's arch-nemesis
- The overload on humor/lack of serious. I was rolling my eyes at lame jokes and ruined serious scenes throughout the whole film.
- The lack of screen time for the Iron Man suit(s). This is Iron Man 3, NOT Tony Stark 3.
- Iron Patriot is an awful character. War Machine is so much more deserving of screen time. I love Rhodey but Iron Patriot was cheesy and ultimately worthless.[/BLACKOUT]

I hate to be so negative but I've never been more disappointed in a movie in my life. Easily the worst Marvel Studios movie and I've loved everything else (even Iron Man 2 was okay).

Glad to see I wasn't wrong and that only social commentary apologists seem to defend this travesty of a "film".

I just realized that fans are really going to turn on this one. I did not think that was possible.

I never trust superhero films with a "3" in the title

Too much to get into, people have covered most of the key issues.

Badly executed film with a plot that was just utterly not worthy of a trilogy ending.

Just getting back now... and I'm not sure about any feelings regarding this movie; I know I didn't hate it, but I'm still in WTF mode right now.

What I can safely say I DIDN'T like:
1) Tony not getting Extremis. As I'm sure most if not all of us know, Extremis was the "Giant Leap" moment for Anthony Edward Stark. You can divide his history into pre-Extremis Iron Man and post-Extremis Iron Man. Such a pivotal storyline, and not only did the movie not really push him that far forward, it took the time to hand the payoff to someone else while literally regressing Tony back to square one. Major Wasted opportunity!!!

2) Not enough Rhodey/War Machine. As people already pointed out here, the lack of War Machine actually being involved in the major fighting, especially in the final battle, was disappointing. He got the suit back from the President, but we didn't see him get involved in the battle with Killian? what was he doing, crowd control? And why was Tony so egregiously dumb he decided not to code any of the armors to respond to the only other pilot he can trust? But Mallen (I won't call him by his movie name. He was totally Mallen) could hijack the War Machine with ease?! Natasha & Fury made the point to berate Tony about the implausibility of this in spite of supposed safeguards back in the last movie, but Tony still didn't learn his lesson? Shame on him!!

3) The weird variability with which the Extremis soldiers are dispatched. How much force is needed to kill them? is it a building blowing up around them? Or is it just a repulsor through the chest, cause I thought they had a healing factor for that? The armor blowing up around Killian didn't do much beyond burn him but a weird stray shell (from where?) + repulsor blast is enough to do the trick? How were the other Extremis guys destroyed?

4) Did we forget we're part of a larger universe? where were the little Marvel Universe easter eggs to give appropriate nods or hints to the future? This isn't the comics, I don't think viewers should just take that fact for granted even if we're in Phase II now. well I guess this might mean Stark won't be involved in GotG since he destroyed the space armor in "Clean Slate".

And most egregiously and unforgivably in my book...

5) THE MOVIE INCLUDED BOTH A.I.M. AND THE MANDARIN, BUT NOT ONE REFERENCE TO M.O.D.O.K. ANYWHERE?!?!?!:doh::cmad: and I searched like a mother****er all the way through. How is that possibly missed? Those of us who know the comics and remember the old cartoon, this would've been an epic geek moment! The closest we came to that was happy referring to Killian presentation as "a giant brain", but that's debatable at best, and definitely insufficient. I was thinking the dispatching of Killian was wholly insufficient, that he could still be alive, and if they wanted they could bring him back as M.O.D.O.K. somehow

Last edited:
I just realized that fans are really going to turn on this one. I did not think that was possible.

That's too bad for them; because they get uber-excited about worse movies. :whatever:

I agree with you 100%. The arc reactor in the chest is part of the Iron Man lore. Why did they have to go down this route?

Because it's part of the lore, as is having the shrapnel removed. They don't adapted one story arc. They pick and choose elements from the rich history of the character and condense them into one story. They don't have the luxury of dragging out one story line over a couple of months.

The whole removing of his reactor. Just doesnt sit well with me.

It's HOW they do it which is just flat out rubbish. Surgery, that's all it takes. Well **** Tony, why didn't you do that in IM1 when you arrived back in the US after being kidnapped.

Seems like Tony has forgotten how to make cool suits of armor since his experience in New York. The Mark 42 was a POS throughout the whole movie.

I know; I thought the glitches were just the kind of problem that would be solved once Tony got Extremis. Haha jokes on me!:whatever:

The worst thing about this movie is
not having the main protagonist take out the main bad guy. Pepper takes down 'Mandarin'. A major no no. They did that in Blade (Abigail takes down 'Dracula') and it's just as bad there.

The decoy Mandarin being oblivious to his actions. The reveal felt like something you would see in a parody movie.

Yep. Why tweak something so iconic to the character? It just seemed unnecessary. And this isn't like the deal with mechanical vs. organic web shooters, either. Honestly without the arc reactor, Stark isn't unique anymore. That was such a cool thing about him.

How are they going to fill the huge hole in his chest? Does it just close up?

* worst post credits scene ever (worse than even ASM post credit scene)
* worst Stan Lee cameo

How is there going to be an Avengers two when Tony has renounced his chest piece and destroyed all of his suits?

The only thing that stood out as "bad" for me were the lack of Easter eggs, the end credit scene and the "twist". Then again, I also thought that twist was great too. I kind of love it and hate it.

How is there going to be an Avengers two when Tony has renounced his chest piece and destroyed all of his suits?

I think there are many clues that Tony is still in a fragile state of mind while Telling Banner the story and doesn't want to tell him/us the whole story...

Tony "fixes" things... is a "mechanic" who possibly advances AIM's idea... takes it out of Pepper, and maybe it fixes her up, he fixes himself, and gets the cardiologist mentioned at the beginning to help him a little. The algorithm Maya and Killian needed from Stark was secretly used by Stark, to perfect Extremis and create himself an Extremis-like suit that goes under the skin and repairs him. Tony Stark is Iron Man...

While the suit was outside of him this movie,... I think maybe we see Tony Stark (possibly Tony Stark director of Shield), with a new suit that is physically within him.

We're left with an understanding that Tony Stark is the suit. It's a part of him. Just like Killian created an artificial image, Tony Stark created his artificial persona. His mask. His super-ego.
Tony Stark is Iron Man, his artificial persona.
And Aldrich Killian is the Mandarin, his artificial persona.
Both are artificial creations, however, both are also extensions of their own minds, and completely representative of another aspect of their brains: the super ego. Therefore they ARE actually those alternate identities. They are inseparable from them, as they created them. They each created their own demons in multiple ways.

I believe Tony is okay with his super ego now, balances it with his Tony Stark personality if you will, but is still being egotistic and defensive throughout the whole movie, repressing things from Banner... Being too egotistical gets his house destroyed but he's angry at the same time and emotion/his state of mind before that comes into play. I think the after credits do give more information on this movie by framing it as simply a story Tony is telling. One that is only being told through Tony's perspective...

The suit's an extension of his mind, he wrapped himself in it like a cocoon, Like it was separate from him. And it stayed separate from him from most of this movie.

When the suit shows up over top of them in bed, Stark says that it's a glitch or something. His unstable subconscious, at that point, may have been controlling the suit...

Last edited:
So, who really was in charge of the Ten Rings organization? There was nothing to tie the Mandarin in with the very thing they used to set him up in the franchise starting with the very first scene of the very first movie? That's a giant fricking plot hole.

So, who really was in charge of the Ten Rings organization? There was nothing to tie the Mandarin in with the very thing they used to set him up in the franchise starting with the very first scene of the very first movie? That's a giant fricking plot hole.

It's left ambiguous whether The Mandarin was the leader of The Ten Rings all along or just using their name to create his 'face of terror'. The phrase 'The phrase 'It was always me Tony, right from the start' does imply the latter though it's not outright stated. The prequel comic does indicate that such is the case but the movie itself lets the audience choose whatever they find more appropiate. In any case, I don't know how that's a plot hole.

Maybe the whole thing is what Tony said in the movie when first investigating the name Mandarin, that Mandarin means advisor to the king.
Maybe it's a title.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"