• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What do they mean 'X3 has no heart'??

X-Maniac said:
But where was the heart in X2? Cyclops and Xavier captured for most of the movie, Storm bobbing around in the background and having bizarrely meaningless conversations with Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler bamfing through the Whitehouse, William Stryker and Jason, Wolverine fighting Deathstrike without any mention of her comicbook history.

Yes, the final Jean sacrifice had 'heart'... but it was mostly absent everywhere else.

Since when did 'slower pace = heart.' I've never come across that correlation before...
Nightcrawler was the heart and soul of the movie..

Stryker rant about his drama was very touching too..

Little bits with wolverine with rogue when they escape Xavier mansion ..wolverine with the kid with the tongue..

there was heart all over imo..

Maze said:
Nightcrawler was the heart and soul of the movie..

Stryker rant about his drama was very touching too..

Little bits with wolverine with rogue when they escape Xavier mansion ..wolverine with the kid with the tongue..

there was heart all over imo..

Can i ask, Maze, are you an X-Men fan? A Singer fan?

What brought you here? Did you discover X-Men through Bryan's movies? Did you know them before?

And is there really absolutely no heart in X3? It's just a crazy mess of fast action scenes all the way through?

X-Maniac, are you okay? Because you're accusing people of crazy things. Unless you're kidding around, you need simmer down now.

i have not seen it... but to me it is like a donkey show.

you know... you go to see a woman being ****ed by a horse (donkey) and you are like.. "Crazy! this might be awesome!" and you get caught up that you forget to think about the logic of watching a woman being ****ed by a horse! It isnt good, entertaining... or anything worth talking about! (SEE 40 YR OLD VIRGIN for reference!)

This movie is WAY short... with a script from the writer of ELEKTRA and XXX2, a director from RUSH HOUR.... i mean... i know what this looks like, like i know what a donkey and a woman look like... i dont have to see it to put it together.

But i will be seeing tomorrow at midnight! but get your hopes down so you cant be let down!

X-Maniac said:
Can i ask, Maze, are you an X-Men fan? A Singer fan?

What brought you here? Did you discover X-Men through Bryan's movies? Did you know them before?

And is there really absolutely no heart in X3? It's just a crazy mess of fast action scenes all the way through?

i am first and foremost and Xfan ..since twenty years..i've liked Singer Xmovies ..not loved..i think there are moments of pure brillance but it is also very flawed ..

about what i think of the heart in X3 , i answered you on page one :)

Octoberist said:
My hopes are at all time low...
Don't be There are a lot of weaknesses in X3 , but it's an enteirtaining movie Octoberist really .:)

Octoberist said:
X-Maniac, are you okay? Because you're accusing people of crazy things. Unless you're kidding around, you need simmer down now.

i'm fine. I'm not accusing anyone of crazy things at all, but I'm keen to hear their standpoint - people are saying all kinds of stuff and I can't always tell if they've seen the movie.. or whether they are speaking from some kind of pre-existing bias...

Reviews are very personal things. If people are clinging to Singer when they walk into the movie...they are always going to be conscious of change..and thus looking for it...

So, i don't need to simmer down at all...

no keep the expectations low... you will be happy with it. but i have already emailed fox... i thank god to who ever put the "XMEN FANS UNITE" thread up!

Maze said:
Don't be There are a lot of weaknesses in X3 , but it's an enteirtaining movie Octoberist really .:)

Maybe you're right. Guess I have to wait for X4: Cyclops Lives, Gambit Finally Gets His Break, Sentinals Are Finally In, and Sinister is the Main Villain Standing United

Octoberist said:
Maybe you're right. Guess I have to wait for X4: Cyclops Lives, Gambit Finally Gets His Break, Sentinals Are Finally In, and Sinister is the Main Villain Standing United

Hmmm...keep waiting! They'll never budget Sentinels... and although it might please Cyclops fans, will the mainstream buy the idea of Cyclops being alive when his name is on a tombstone...

Have any of the reviews mentioned Cyclops? I doubt most of the mainstream viewers found it that bad...

Octoberist said:

One advice now ..it worked for me : do all that you can to go there without X1 or X2 in mind..

Do not underesitmate the mainstream. Sometimes, they can surprise you...

this is the same mainstream audience that made Vin diesals "The Pacifier" a major hit in the box office Ocotoberist.

Octoberist said:
Add Less Wolverine, recast Storm, and bring in a director who isn't mainly known for a buddy film starring Chris Tucker.

yes but if you have to use the word "SOMETIMES" then you can also say "Most of the time they dont"

Godzilla2000 said:
That's very narrow minded!! Would you like it if someone said that about Batman Begins?

I dont give a damn if someone dosent go see BB or not. I'm not gonna whine and attack people for it. if people see it, fine, if people dont, then they dont. Simple as that.

It depends on how it's delivered. The movie may have not given the audience much of a chance to care about the characters with its rapid pace.
So...audiences are so stupid they can't care about a character unless the film STOPS and allows them to "catch up"? Give me a break. X-MEN and X2 didn't feel the need to do this. it went merrily from scene to scene, often quickly. Odd, I still cared about the characters.
X3 just lacked the depth that x2 had, it was too faced paced, and it had to many dumb characters.

Question. Since you've seen it. What kinds of depth did X2 have that X3 lacks?
I've seen the film, and I think it's major problem was that it never followed through with any of the "emotional" plotlines.
How so? The way they never followed through with what happened with Bobby's family in X2?
Everything seemed to be thrown in just to make the film seem more like a drama-action film.
How so?
The film didn't have any sense of reality really: because it was so short, people weren't able to grieve, it was difficult to interpret Phoenix's emotions.
That's the point. She's conflicted about who she is. That's called "good acting"
and characters were underdeveloped (Rogue fans will be extremely disappointed....she is nothing more then an extended cameo, and her final conclusion was just a throwaway.)
Characters have been underdeveloped in every movie ever made. Even in (gasp) X2.
I also thought the deaths cheapened the entire movie: not because of fan complaints (Cyclops, etc.) but because they were just throwaway deaths. They had no build up to the moment it was just, Kiss, now dead.
Kiss, now dead, huh? So...no dialogue? No acting? No facial expressions? Somehow I doubt it's that empty.
I liken it to if Storm had been hit by a stray lightning bolt. It may be shocking etc., but unless this plotline is followed up, it's just a meaningless death.
So, unless the characters keep talking about it through the entire movie when more important matters are at hand...it's meaningless?
You'll understand when you see it. Wolverine is the only one who is sorry for Scott's death.
As in no one else even mentions it? Or Wolveirne is the only one we see any extended "mourning"/regret from?
Rogue issue is not adressed at all.
What about the whole Wolverine/Rogue scene where she umm...you know, addresses her issue?
She just goes to the cure line and in the end of the movie she is cured.
Yeah. That's a change in Rogue. That's called character development. Her having to decide to do so? That's called character conflict.
Magneto isn't angry.
Oh. Magneto's not angry, but he's throwing cars at people and ripping bridges apart and yelling about "fury". Riiight. So he just...sounds angry. Riiight.

It's not the pace. it's the moments and the characters in those moments!

In X2 we had Bobby's nasty family, Magneto's glass prison, Stryker whom we all loved to hate. We even had that moment where Xavier is standing up and you can see a tear, and then Deathstrike with that look at the end before she dies...
And nightcrawler was a damn lovable character!

We have all these moments in which we trully have a conection with the characters. It's not overly emotional because it's still an action movie, but we are involved. Singer is just better at that then Ratner.

And in X3 we have...
The Mutant Cure, forcing important decisions for uh, everybody. The rising and emotional turn of Jean Grey/Phoenix. Magneto's obsession and hatred and fear reaching a fever pitch, and him drawing legions of followers to him, Xavier/Storm relationship, Xavier passing on his legacy, Wolverine's emotional conflict over Jean Grey and his place on the team, Bobby's conflict with his former friend Pyro. Mystique's love/betrayal for Erik, Kitty's homesickness and feelings for Bobby, Rogue's reaction to that and feelings about her powers being a curse...

You have got to be kidding me.

Ebert and Roeper didn't complain about pacing. If it was an issue and was such a big problem, you know they would've said something about it.
I'd tend to agree.

The cure is the biggest plotline driving the "heart" of X3. X-Men mirrored the Civil Rights Movements of the 60s and the idea of being able to force a cure upon someone different is a plot that runs really deep. For people to say that this movie has no heart/moral tone is just assanine.

Agreed. I don't think people are talking about "moments". I think they're talking about scenes. "Moments" tend to take, what, 20 seconds. Pretty sure X3 has those. And that's what I'm absolutely been looking forward to for years. Those little 20 second "moments".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"