Transformers What if the movie's not crap?

Before I had kids I was as passionate as you about films, music, etc. Since having kids my perspective has changed a great deal. In the grand scheme of things the end result of the movie just isn't that important to me.

I see so few movies due to cost (tickets, food, babysitters, etc) that I can't afford to go into anything with a preconceived notion or any expectations good or bad. The economics just don't work out. I take it as it comes and make a determination to enjoy something from it good or bad.

Life is too short for me to get as worked up as you and CFlash get.

lol...CFlash and I both have kids as well. I don't see what that has to do with anything. Having kids doesn't change my expectations. The way you view things its almost as if having kids takes away your opinion on things because you can't afford to have one? I don't see how they relate.

Tad Fatherton is my daughter.

I'm just going to throw out that I don't think the movie will be crap. We all know Bay can deliver a good solid action flick. Yes, it will be hollow, flashy, and not the TF movie many have waited for, but I seriously doubt I will leave the theater thinking it sucked big floppy buttocks. *Shrug*

Before I had kids I was as passionate as you about films, music, etc. Since having kids my perspective has changed a great deal. In the grand scheme of things the end result of the movie just isn't that important to me.

I see so few movies due to cost (tickets, food, babysitters, etc) that I can't afford to go into anything with a preconceived notion or any expectations good or bad. The economics just don't work out. I take it as it comes and make a determination to enjoy something from it good or bad.

I see what you mean. Before I was married, I took some of this stuff a little more seriously. I was really disappointed by Beast Machines after loving Beast Wars so much. I didn't take to net and bash it all or anything but it did really bother me. Now that I'm married with a (step)daughter, a lot of these kinds of things don't bother me nearly as much. I'm not sure you can ask a question like that around here and get a truthful response though.

Common Sense on the Internet?

:csad:

Hell_Frozen_Over.jpg

If I ever have kids I will make them watch every episode of Transformers G1. All the Star Wars movies etc etc. I Will school them in geek 101. If I ever see them playing sports I will make them watch an Uwe Boll Marathon.

I think we Tranformers fans have given internet nerds a bad name. That is, if Star Wars nerds haven't accomplished that task already.

This is getting out of hand. Can't we at least wait until after the movie is out to completely tear it a new butt hole?

The people that are hoping this movie won't be successful are going to be very upset come July. This movie will be popular no matter how pissed you get about it.....this is Transformers now...for better or worse. Choose a side and move on. :trans:

What you said makes no sense. If you want to be cost-effective with your theater attendance, you would choose your movie-goings more carefully, i.e. reading reviews, doing research into the film, etc. etc. to choose the best movie at the theater for you to spend money.

What you said makes no sense. If you want to be cost-effective with your theater attendance, you would choose your movie-goings more carefully, i.e. reading reviews, doing research into the film, etc. etc. to choose the best movie at the theater for you to spend money.

Exactly what I do :up:

Hell, the last movies I've seen in theaters were Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth. So you can see I don't go to the movies often. That's one of the major reasons I bought a home projector. I can get pretty much the same movie going experience without the annoyances of a theater (people). I just have to wait til DVD :csad:.

But I'm DEFINITELY seeing Transformers opening weekend.

I see what you mean. Before I was married, I took some of this stuff a little more seriously. I was really disappointed by Beast Machines after loving Beast Wars so much. I didn't take to net and bash it all or anything but it did really bother me. Now that I'm married with a (step)daughter, a lot of these kinds of things don't bother me nearly as much. I'm not sure you can ask a question like that around here and get a truthful response though.

One of the best things about having a kid is getting to share in the cartoons they watch now.... which, consistently impress the hell out of me (even if I don't so much dig Pokemon... which is what she's into).
They're made with so much love and attention to detail. I mean, Teen Titans, Justice League, and Avatar are all so good it's amazing. Even the "kiddie" cartoons are freaking good (Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, etc).

I just know that if 20 years from now they made a Pokemon movie where Pikachu was 7 feet tall, wore super-cool clothes with flames on them, my then-grown-up daughter would not be all too happy.

Just like I wouldn't have been happy AT ALL if Michael Bay had been the one to get his hands on Spider-man. Thank God he didn't.

Just like I wouldn't have been happy AT ALL if Michael Bay had been the one to get his hands on Spider-man. Thank God he didn't.

Green Goblin's suit would have been green with purple flames and drove a green hummer. :csad:

The Transformers were a little before my time, so I didn't grow up with them, but I suppose I can sympathize with most of the outrage and disappointment over Bay's alterred portrayal of the mythos.

I'd have to admit, I can tolerate biological webshooters, but I would've been pretty cheesed off if Sam Raimi had changed Spider-Man's name to Patrick Parker and given him an open-jaw mask.

One of the best things about having a kid is getting to share in the cartoons they watch now.... which, consistently impress the hell out of me (even if I don't so much dig Pokemon... which is what she's into).
They're made with so much love and attention to detail. I mean, Teen Titans, Justice League, and Avatar are all so good it's amazing. Even the "kiddie" cartoons are freaking good (Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, etc).

I just know that if 20 years from now they made a Pokemon movie where Pikachu was 7 feet tall, wore super-cool clothes with flames on them, my then-grown-up daughter would not be all too happy.

How could you possibly know now what her reaction would be to such a movie? You have no idea if 20 years from now she’ll look back and find some sort of deep meaning or connection to her childhood cartoons. Most people don’t. Not on the level as some of the fans here, anyway. That doesn’t mean that they don’t cherish them or remember them fondly.

If Spiderman had never been a comic book…if the character had been created and shown for the first time in Spiderman & His Amazing Friends, I’d have no problem whatsoever with M. Bay making a movie based on him. There was about the same level of “depth” there in that cartoon as in the original TF cartoons. I LOVED Spiderman & His Amazing Friends when I was a kid. But I don’t have any sort of emotional connection to it now as an adult. If he altered the character (from the cartoon), I’d probably think that it looks stupid or whatever but I wouldn’t be so militant and belligerent about it. The original property is still there. Still on dvd or in toy-form to enjoy whenever I want it. And if a new generation wants to enjoy the new version, who am I to try to stop that? Who am I to say “their” version is rubbish because it’s not exactly like “MY” version? As if I even have a version. We don’t own this property. It doesn’t matter how much time or money we may or may not have dumped into it…we don’t own it. They’re not desecrating the memory of my childhood dog in the movie... It’s not a personal attack. So many fans seem to believe they’re owed something. That’s something I don’t understand.

I’m not trying to argue with you or insult you in anyway. If you love the TF’s that much, more power to you. I’m just trying to say (going WAAAAYYYYY back to my original post) that I don’t think calling the movie TINO is all that justified. But hey, if that what some want to do, have at it!

So what's the point of your post? To try and convince people whom "you don't understand" their passion for Transformers to grow up? Clearly you don't find Transformers as passionate as some of us...that's cool. What do you find passionate? Relate it to that and call it a day. Thanks.

So what's the point of your post? To try and convince people whom "you don't understand" their passion for Transformers to grow up? Clearly you don't find Transformers as passionate as some of us...that's cool. What do you find passionate? Relate it to that and call it a day. Thanks.

The point of my posting? Well, like everybody else here, I have the right to make comments and discuss the Transformers…That’s pretty much why we’re all here right? And I was discussing (debating?) the fact that some refer to the movie as TINO and I happen to disagree with that. I don’t think I need you telling me how to handle myself, thanks.

I go to the movies too often. I know I get in for free most of the time but even if I didn't I'd still be slashing money down the counter for a ticket. I most go to the movies on a weekly basis.

If I ever have kids I will make them watch every episode of Transformers G1. All the Star Wars movies etc etc. I Will school them in geek 101. If I ever see them playing sports I will make them watch an Uwe Boll Marathon.

That is rather cruel don't you think...although it will teach them never to do it again :)

I am training my nephew up in the ways of the geek. He loves He-Man and Spider-Man, and now he likes Transformers (manily because he is obsessed with cars crashing).

The people that are hoping this movie won't be successful are going to be very upset come July. This movie will be popular no matter how pissed you get about it.....this is Transformers now...for better or worse. Choose a side and move on. :trans:

QFT

That is rather cruel don't you think...although it will teach them never to do it again :)

I am training my nephew up in the ways of the geek. He loves He-Man and Spider-Man, and now he likes Transformers (manily because he is obsessed with cars crashing).

Yeah, I’ve been raising my stepdaughter in the way of the geek as well (since she was 3…she’s 12 now). She can name pretty much any Marvel or DC character (not the background ones though). She reads Teen Titans. And she’d dying to see Spider-Man 3. She can name a lot of the Transformers but she’s not excited about the movie (yet). She does want to see it though. She really likes all the Star Wars movies too (She waited in LONG lines with me for all 3 prequels). I couldn’t be more proud. When she was about 10 years old and the preview of Spider-Man 2 was on tv…it said it was rated PG-13. She looked at me all disappointed and said “Does that mean I can’t see it?” I said, “Are you kidding me?! You’re coming with me on opening night!”.

Yeah, I’ve been raising my stepdaughter in the way of the geek as well (since she was 3…she’s 12 now). She can name pretty much any Marvel or DC character (not the background ones though). She reads Teen Titans. And she’d dying to see Spider-Man 3. She can name a lot of the Transformers but she’s not excited about the movie (yet). She does want to see it though. She really likes all the Star Wars movies too (She waited in LONG lines with me for all 3 prequels). I couldn’t be more proud. When she was about 10 years old and the preview of Spider-Man 2 was on tv…it said it was rated PG-13. She looked at me all disappointed and said “Does that mean I can’t see it?” I said, “Are you kidding me?! You’re coming with me on opening night!”.

I wish I could take my nephew but he will only just be turning three this year. Still he knows Spider-Man and Venom when he sees them, he can name almost all the characters from He-Man and I am working on introducing him to the Transformers cartoon (G1 obviously).

He also loves Sonic and Mario.

I love you guys.

I too am teaching my children of the GOOD things of my childhood.
my ex wife and I made sure they watched the things we watched from "The Electric Company to Punky Brewster or Transformers the Movie"

whats there to teach? when i was a kid i watched tv and if i saw something cool i watched it again.
when i saw a good comicbook in the stores i read it. whats there to teach?

you are not forcing it right?

The point of my posting? Well, like everybody else here, I have the right to make comments and discuss the Transformers…That’s pretty much why we’re all here right? And I was discussing (debating?) the fact that some refer to the movie as TINO and I happen to disagree with that. I don’t think I need you telling me how to handle myself, thanks.

Where did I tell you how to handle yourself? I was giving a recommendation of how to relate to people who find Transformers passionate...something YOU said that YOU didn't understand. That whole 2nd paragraph of yours summed up to something like, "Why do you guys take this so seriously? I dont' understand". You seem to translate it as me telling you how to post?? Howso?

Maybe some people are just a little more open minded than others?

I grew up watching Transformers....and I actually like the changes that are being done in this film.

All the Transformers look tougher, more alien. And the Decepticons look very sinister. Much more than their old G1 counter-parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"