What if we didn't see the Hulk and Abom before the release?

co2

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm sure even the idea of this might infuriate some here, but after experiencing something like Cloverfield, where keeping a tight lid on the creature worked in favor of the box office, could keeping the look of the Hulk hidden be a viable strategy for this film? Would curiosity aid in box office come opening? That was the approach that Jurrasic Park took, in that the pre-release trailer would simply show a foot or tail before the the initial release and that is still ranked as one of the highest grossing films of all time. To consider that would probably drive many people on these boards crazy, but how much fun is Christmas because you don't know what is under the wrapping paper? Could fans and the public have that kind of patience, and would it work for the movie?

I'm sure even the idea of this might infuriate some here, but after experiencing something like Cloverfield, where keeping a tight lid on the creature worked in favor of the box office, could keeping the look of the Hulk hidden be a viable strategy for this film? Would curiosity aid in box office come opening? That was the approach that Jurrasic Park took, in that the pre-release trailer would simply show a foot or tail before the the initial release and that is still ranked as one of the highest grossing films of all time. To consider that would probably drive many people on these boards crazy, but how much fun is Christmas because you don't know what is under the wrapping paper? Could fans and the public have that kind of patience, and would it work for the movie?

Godzilla did this. And bombed.

Bottom line: The movie will determine if it's a success or not, as, for all the millions of dollars spent on building hype, word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising.

lol I wouldn't have a problem with it; I just don't think there's any way under the sun that you could pull it off in the same way that Jurassic Park did. I mean, creatures like the Hulk and A-bomb aren't exactly prehistoric reptiles for whom we have a fossil record and whose limbs need only be partially shown to suggest their presence. You can't just sort of "hint at" the Hulk and A-bomb. Now, having said that, in the teaser, of course it's possible that they could get away with just showing a furrowed brow. Isn't that what they did in the teaser for Ang's Hulk? And we never saw a darned thing of Absorbing Dad until the movie, so... what was your question?

Godzilla did this. And bombed.

Bottom line: The movie will determine if it's a success or not, as, for all the millions of dollars spent on building hype, word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising.

No. It was really hyped up and people were really excited for it. It bombed because people saw it and it sucked.

lol I wouldn't have a problem with it; I just don't think there's any way under the sun that you could pull it off in the same way that Jurassic Park did. I mean, creatures like the Hulk and A-bomb aren't exactly prehistoric reptiles for whom we have a fossil record and whose limbs need only be partially shown to suggest their presence. You can't just sort of "hint at" the Hulk and A-bomb. Now, having said that, in the teaser, of course it's possible that they could get away with just showing a furrowed brow. Isn't that what they did in the teaser for Ang's Hulk? And we never saw a darned thing of Absorbing Dad until the movie, so... what was your question?
I think they will show the Hulk at the tail end of any trailer done and possibly the shot that would work would be him flexing before his fight with Abomb in Manhattan. Besides, we know what the Hulk looks like as far as size and shape. We are just antsy to see this Hulk. Once again thats the reason why Marvel is waiting for the VFX. I believe they want to give us the Hulk in its trailer.

I doubt theyll skimp on showing these two. Thats like showing a star wars trailer without a lightsaber.

I think that might have been his point.

But that's a stupid point. It bombed because it was a terrible movie and any marketing wouldn't have changed that. He made it sound like it bombed because of the marketing.

But that's a stupid point. It bombed because it was a terrible movie and any marketing wouldn't have changed that. He made it sound like it bombed because of the marketing.

Exactly. Godzilla didn't bomb because it didn't show the creature. It bombed because the movie sucked. There's a lot riding on this movie though (can't have two failed Hulk movies back to back) so I think it would not be the most prudent thing to not show the Hulk. I would show him briefly, just to let people know he is going to kick some serious a$$. :bh:

Exactly. Godzilla didn't bomb because it didn't show the creature. It bombed because the movie sucked. There's a lot riding on this movie though (can't have two failed Hulk movies back to back) so I think it would not be the most prudent thing to not show the Hulk. I would show him briefly, just to let people know he is going to kick some serious a$$. :bh:
Agreed!

In regards to marketing towards the general audience, it would be suicide to never show Abomb let alone the Hulk in any of it's trailers.

Speaking of stupid...

If you think that's a stupid point, then that means you think your own point is stupid, because you re-stated and agreed with MY point.

You said Godzilla got people hyped and it bombed because people saw it and thought it sucked...

...which is exactly what I said.

But, hey, thanks for playing. You got several people to agree with you along the way, too. Classic SHH.

So we're all in agreement then... which is another part of the 'charm' of SHH. We can all go at each other's throat, but eventually still find ourselves actually defensing each's other view in the end.

"I see trees of green........ red roses too
I see em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world."

~Louis Armstrong

how will you get the people in the theater if you wont show the fight.

what will you show? ''ed norton will turn green in this big budget movie''???

what will they show? how hulk throws a car?

isnt this movie supposed to make a big profit?

how will you get the people in the theater if you wont show the fight.

what will you show? ''ed norton will turn green in this big budget movie''???

what will they show? how hulk throws a car?

isnt this movie supposed to make a big profit?

I'm sure they will show them fighting at the very end. One of those "Oh my Godz!" trailers that has people 'oohing' and whatnot. I can picture the final shot of the trailer, Hulk and Abom rushing at each other and right as their about to clash it cuts to "The Incredible Hulk".

Lets face it, if this movie doesn't do well at the BO, I don't see a new Hulk film being made for a very, very long time.

i agreee. this is the SR reboot that superman fans want.

if this fails then its over for a long time.

Speaking of stupid...

If you think that's a stupid point, then that means you think your own point is stupid, because you re-stated and agreed with MY point.

You said Godzilla got people hyped and it bombed because people saw it and thought it sucked...

...which is exactly what I said.

But, hey, thanks for playing. You got several people to agree with you along the way, too. Classic SHH.

Well my mistake. The way you said it made me think you meant it bombed because the marketing was that way. My apologies.

I doubt we'll only see them after the release.

Cloverfield was different. It was a monster movie. We had NO IDEA what it was gonna be.
We know how Hulk is going to look.

I wanted them to do something like that for Ang's film, the anticipation for the Hulk after that teaser with Spiderman was sky high, and it was because they didn't show the Hulk at all. I wish they would've kept it like that, even though the final result would have been no different. This time I think it's of upmost importance that they show as much as they can, in order to re-establish this franchise as something new and totally different. Plus the cgi, which will be the deciding factor on this films success IMO....

I'm sure they will show them fighting at the very end. One of those "Oh my Godz!" trailers that has people 'oohing' and whatnot. I can picture the final shot of the trailer, Hulk and Abom rushing at each other and right as their about to clash it cuts to "The Incredible Hulk".

Lets face it, if this movie doesn't do well at the BO, I don't see a new Hulk film being made for a very, very long time.

That would be great, but they did this for The Golden Compass and that hasnt done very well at the BO either.

I think the last shot of the trailer should be Abomination standing over an unconscious (or seemingly unconscious) Hulk on the floor.

That would be great, but they did this for The Golden Compass and that hasnt done very well at the BO either.

I think the last shot of the trailer should be Abomination standing over an unconscious (or seemingly unconscious) Hulk on the floor.

Ooooo, a meaty plot. I like it! Actually, that reminds me of the SM2 trailer, with Spider-Man bound up and seemingly being laid to rest.

They've already shown the main design of The Hulk. Regardless, not showing even The Hulk (he's the star of the film!) would be disasterous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"