What is more meaningless? Suffering or pleasure?

Erzengel said:
What does it matter jag? The memory of this thread will fade...like dew on a spring morning..... :tear:

But....but it had so much potential, Erz! And then it just flushed it all down the toilet! :(

jag

Danalys said:
meaning is irrelevent.

Ahhh, but what is the meaning of irrelevance? What is it's purpose?

jag

the meaning of irrelevance is irrelevent. purpose is irrelevent. people give one thing meaning in terms of something else that they gave meaning to arbitrarily.

Danalys said:
the meaning of irrelevance is irrelevent. purpose is irrelevent. people give one thing meaning in terms of something else that they gave meaning to arbitrarily.

But don't those meanings serve purpose on an individual level, at the very least?

jag

blind_fury said:
So if God was going to tell you the meaning of life you wouldn't care to listen?

What would be the point? You wouldn't remember it when you die. :)

jag

blind_fury said:
What the bad place is the point of suffering or even pleasure? All memories eventually fade. The space you occupy now will eventually be engulfed by the sun. Is there any reason why we must endure suffering, why we must pursue pleasure?
You are one sad bastard.:)

blind_fury said:
So if God was going to tell you the meaning of life you wouldn't care to listen?

why would i accept an arbitrary meaning created by a god?

Erzengel said:
What does it matter jag? The memory of this thread will fade...like dew on a spring morning..... :tear:
It's true, this thread like all others will eventally be blown away by the winds of time. like a spider web. :eek:

jaguarr said:
But don't those meanings serve purpose on an individual level, at the very least?

jag

yes they do to most people.

Danalys said:
why would i accept an arbitrary meaning created by a god?
If God says it, it's no longer arbitrary. It becomes truth.

If God says the sky is red, the sky IS red.

if god can create any truth then the truth is arbitrary.

Danalys said:
yes they do to most people.

So then meaning is not irrelevant, nor is purpose, at least at the individual level. It could be argued that meaning and purpose are not irrelevant at the collective level, either, as they are things that enable us to relate to one another. At a metaphysical and spiritual level, who's to say what's relevant and what is not, though?

jag

Danalys said:
if god can create any truth then the truth is arbitrary.
Truth is arbitrary to God, not to man. But then again everything is arbitrary to God. His choice decides everything we know. From physics to biology to psychology.

blind_fury said:
Truth is arbitrary to God, not to man. But then again everything is arbitrary to God. His choice decides everything we know. From physics to biology to psychology.

There is no God.

jag

people can create any purpose or meaning for themselves. the thing they create has abitary meaning or purpose. meaning and purpose unto themselves how ever don't have meaning or purpose.

blind_fury said:
I'm sure the same was once said of all great thinkers. :o
LOL, I'll stand by my comment. I don't know about you but:

Pleasure=awsome. It's as simple as that to me.

blind_fury said:

if there was a god it would be arbitrary to me also purly because i realised that. as it is however truth is not arbitrary to me.

Danalys said:
Meaning would be irrelevant if we were all beasts. But as humans we have the ability to convert meaning into thought and thought into action. Therefore meaning is relevant in a physical and metaphysical context.

blind_fury said:
Meaning would be irrelevant if we were all beasts. But as humans we have the ability to convert meaning into thought and thought into action. Therefore meaning is relevant in a physical and metaphysical context.

that arguement doesn't hold with me because i believe we create meaning in our mind.

for example the meaning of a word. we create the word and it's meaning.

Ultimately, I think both are meaningless because both are fleeting. Well, suffering could be continual but it can be changed. It can be overcome. Pleasure and suffering are also related in a way. If someone cannot get the same type of pleasure they are used to they may suffer. Pleasure is different from happiness. True happiness is deeper than pleasure. Pleasure is shallow and temporary and rooted in desire. So if we loose our desire, we will not suffer. Yes, I'm into Buddhism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"