The Dark Knight What makes TDK so special?

I'd be surprised if we didn't get something for the tenth anniversary of the film. What could that something be? My guess is a new transfer of the film.

I'd love some more behind the scenes stuff of Heath and even some interviews with Bale and Eckhart.

It's been a busy few months, and whereas I generally watched TDK once a week, every week since it came out, I haven't seen it in about 3 months.

So, I just put TDK on in the background while I do some work.......and I'm sucked in as soon as that window blows out and the clowns rope-slide across the street to the bank roof.

Man, this movie is just something special - the pacing, the music, the action it's a real landmark in movie making - it made people take superhero films seriously ( "Why so serious ?" because it's awesome).

I'm looking forward to Justice League and the other upcoming DC films, and I loved Civil War (hat's off to Marvel, it was great) but I highly doubt any of that will ever dethrone TDK from the top spot on my superhero movie list.

I've enjoyed Nolan's other non-Batman films: the Prestige, Inception (also in my top 10 list) , Interstellar... but TDK was Nolan at his absolute peak, I don't know if he'll ever reach that level of greatness again - I hope he does, but if not, he'll still always be the man who made the Dark Knight.

Hell, even Joss Whedon has said that TDK is the Godfather of superhero movies. Now that's a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, I think Marvel does great work, but it's got nothing that rivals the depth of TDK.

So, do I turn off the DVD player and get back to work or.....

Christ almightly.

Not quite, I don't watch it in Church.

Quite often I put it on for background noise when I'm working around the house - does that qualify as "watching" maybe more
watching-by-osmosis.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Because each and every frame of this gorgeous piece of perfection if entirely flawless from pixel to pixel. There isn't a single critique against this timeless piece of eternally relevant pop culture that isn't desperately reaching or wildly hypocritical.

This is hands down my favorite comic book movie and I don't see it ever being unseated.

What makes it special to me is the quality of the performances/story. TDK has always had a strong cast, but Heath Ledger is next level amazing as the Joker. He's the perfect Joker for me.

The pacing was perfect, it was shocking (the pencil, Rachel's death) and I loved the inclusion of Dent.

Plus, Maggie Gyllenhaal was a huge step up from Katie Holmes.

The actors and Chris Nolan. Everyone knows why Heath Ledger deserved the oscar that he was awarded with posthumously. Of cource Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart and Christian Bale did also a great job, but alone the performance of Heath Ledger makes this movie special...

The 21st Century's 100 Greatest Films:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

The Dark Knight lands at #33. The only superhero film to make the list, as far as I can tell.

giphy.gif

Xfq3IdM.gif

blastoise-o.gif

IT is one of the best CBMs of all-time but I can't watch it anymore without getting bored, I killed it so much back in the day.

The thing about TDK is that it's a proper film. Someone who hates super heroes can watch this movie and love it.

TDK was the first CB movie that truly made me feel intrigued and engaged by the plot, like how i would be by a fine novel. Until this day, only TDK trilogy had that effect on me. Most CBM's are pretty much all about the visual spectacle. The stories are uninteresting, basic and predictable.

There are many things that make The Dark Knight special.

Starting off, it's a true magnus opus in the way of filmmaking. Even looking at it objectively, it's story makes sense and there are so many undertones that all help to add to the characters at play. In addition to having a phenomenal script that was poised, stood out and played by its own rules, you then have the added bonus of having a stellar cast that knew how to play their respective part well. There are few weak links in TDK, and even if they are, there are various other aspects to make up for any one dim area.

The Dark Knight ascends because it was thought fueled. A bunch of people didn't get together and half-ass it. Every single party worked their asses off. For instance, the cinematography is astounding and this version of Gotham, like all others, is a character in of itself. One that was nuanced, largely because while there was a somewhat gritty aspect to it, was now a bit brighter because of the Batman. Another example of how Nolan and co. understand how to add layers to their characters.

Beyond that, The Dark Knight was the superhero movie that legitimately changed the game. It was the first billion dollar superhero movie, and that's saying a lot considering it was back when there were only a hand few of films that could make the $1 billion claim. While Raimi's Spider-Man films already proved superhero films (done correctly) could be big business, Nolan's TDK took that ideology and elevated it to an even higher pedestal.

And then there's Heath Ledger winning an Oscar for his portrayal. The man who proved that yes, comic book performances can be so in-depth, so brutally true to the character and poignant that you can win an Oscar for it. He's the first and only to do so, and that's saying a hell of a lot.

Personally, The Dark Knight is so special because it made me truly respect the art. To dissect it, digest it and reflect it. So yeah, TDK is forever awesome. An immortal masterpiece. :D

It's the #1 on my list of SH movies. Nolan caught lightning in a bottle. TDK was setup perfectly by BB. Everything clicked. Ledger knocked it out of the atmosphere. I guarantee you he struggled mightily with the part, but, in the end, he did as well as any actor could do (a stalemate with our highest expectations).

From my perspective, it was visually stunning. Nolan is a master in that regard and it has a huge effect on how I rate a movie; even if I don't realize it at the time. Inception is another example. Chris is as good as it gets as far as shooting a movie. I saw it in true IMAX way up close and I'm glad I don't have motion sickness. Dunkirk?? Hell yeah.....and I hate war movies.

It's the #1 on my list of SH movies. Nolan caught lightning in a bottle. TDK was setup perfectly by BB. Everything clicked. Ledger knocked it out of the atmosphere. I guarantee you he struggled mightily with the part, but, in the end, he did as well as any actor could do (a stalemate with our highest expectations).

From my perspective, it was visually stunning. Nolan is a master in that regard and it has a huge effect on how I rate a movie; even if I don't realize it at the time. Inception is another example. Chris is as good as it gets as far as shooting a movie. I saw it in true IMAX way up close and I'm glad I don't have motion sickness. Dunkirk?? Hell yeah.....and I hate war movies.

What you said!!

If Michael Mann made a superhero film, it would be The Dark Knight.

But, wouldn't it have way more hand cam footage? I mean, it'd probably look more like a documentary wherein the Batman existed, I guess. I really do like Michael Mann, though, but I'm not too into how he's shot his last film. I enjoyed Miami Vice, but there was some of that in there too.

Full disclosure, I went to Art School majoring in Cartooning. So, storytelling is my jam and maybe someday my career. And I think Batman Begins is my favorite for a number of reasons, but The Dark Knight...is the better film. The storytelling is so tight and about as perfect as a screenplay can be. Everything is setup, even if you're not seeing it. Moments are prepared, and scenes are setup, even in the most small manner. Even a moment like having Lau literally hunted down by Batman, and dragged back to Gotham, was setup with the Joker identifying him as a squealer who Batman will hunt down because he has no jurisdiction. There's thematic elements that are rock solid and delivered on, like what it may take to catch a terrorist like the Joker without fully compromising your ideals....like not killing him or destroying the eavesdropping device that could be used to spy on everyone. Or showcasing Batman's idealism, even when he may seem like a nihilist. He truly believed in Gotham, and truly believed that those people weren't going pull the trigger on that bomb. That moment near the end boiled down the battle between Batman and Joker in probably of the most concise and clear ways I've ever seen. Batman believes people will ultimately do the right thing, and the Joker believes that people will ultimately eat eachother alive.

Nolan clearly accepted creative criticism from Batman Begins, too. One of the most criticized aspects of Batman Begins, even from people who loved it, was the closeness of the camera during fight scenes. He pulled it back, and went with something clearer to showcase the fighting.

I could write for days on this stuff, really.

I'd be surprised if we didn't get something for the tenth anniversary of the film. What could that something be? My guess is a new transfer of the film.

I'd love some more behind the scenes stuff of Heath and even some interviews with Bale and Eckhart.

My God...it's going to be Ten Years next year, isn't it?

Where the hell has the time gone?

It's a great thriller. It's a great action movie. It's a great comic book adaptation. It's a great Batman movie, and therefore a great 'superhero movie.'

And thanks to Christopher Nolan's vision and filmmaking, a great script, fantastic cast and overall amazing team, it's a pretty special movie. One that will be remembered in a long time.

It was lightning in a bottle.

It's just one of those movies.

Just rewatched it and this ^ pretty much sums it up.

Because each and every frame of this gorgeous piece of perfection if entirely flawless from pixel to pixel. There isn't a single critique against this timeless piece of eternally relevant pop culture that isn't desperately reaching or wildly hypocritical.

Except he shot it on film....no pixels.... :oldrazz::cwink:

But, wouldn't it have way more hand cam footage? I mean, it'd probably look more like a documentary wherein the Batman existed, I guess. I really do like Michael Mann, though, but I'm not too into how he's shot his last film. I enjoyed Miami Vice, but there was some of that in there too.

Full disclosure, I went to Art School majoring in Cartooning. So, storytelling is my jam and maybe someday my career. And I think Batman Begins is my favorite for a number of reasons, but The Dark Knight...is the better film. The storytelling is so tight and about as perfect as a screenplay can be. Everything is setup, even if you're not seeing it. Moments are prepared, and scenes are setup, even in the most small manner. Even a moment like having Lau literally hunted down by Batman, and dragged back to Gotham, was setup with the Joker identifying him as a squealer who Batman will hunt down because he has no jurisdiction. There's thematic elements that are rock solid and delivered on, like what it may take to catch a terrorist like the Joker without fully compromising your ideals....like not killing him or destroying the eavesdropping device that could be used to spy on everyone. Or showcasing Batman's idealism, even when he may seem like a nihilist. He truly believed in Gotham, and truly believed that those people weren't going pull the trigger on that bomb. That moment near the end boiled down the battle between Batman and Joker in probably of the most concise and clear ways I've ever seen. Batman believes people will ultimately do the right thing, and the Joker believes that people will ultimately eat eachother alive.

Nolan clearly accepted creative criticism from Batman Begins, too. One of the most criticized aspects of Batman Begins, even from people who loved it, was the closeness of the camera during fight scenes. He pulled it back, and went with something clearer to showcase the fighting.

I could write for days on this stuff, really.

Nice post, interesting perspective brought to the table.

I think this analysis sums up why the movie is so special to me. I've always liked the contrast between Joker, Harvey and Batman present in the movie and they deliver upon it wonderfully with the ending and it's a very satisfying conclusion despite Batman ending up on the run and being perceived as a killer. In a way, the mere fact that it feels unfair to focus on just one aspect of the movie in order to emphasise why it's great underlines its multi-faceted nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"