1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

What should be Bruce's character arc/flaws in The Batman 2?

Discussion in 'The Batman Part II' started by Invader Joker, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Invader Joker Registered

So we all know how Bruce's arc went in the first movie. Went from a symbol of vengeance to hope, got it. But that doesn't mean Bruce will be perfect now that said arc was complete, and Matt is someone that very much likes to explore inherently flawed protagonists and to put them in all sorts of challenges that put them on comprimising positions and reveal whatever flaws they may have. What are the flaws that should be explored in the second film?

AndyTrevino and Lautox like this.
  2. shauner111 Registered

Very good question. I think it’s going to be ‘empathy for criminals’. I can see him being stubborn, one track mind when it comes to using his money for what he thinks needs work. But he will be criticized “why are you doing it now? Are you trying to look good in the press? We don’t want your Wayne money!”. I think he’ll show his temper and frustration with this and will need to learn to block it out and give to those who love you, hate you. His name will be a target and I’m not sure if he’ll handle it well during a period where he’s trying his best to fix the city.

I think he’ll show empathy towards innocent civilians. They’ll trust him. But criminals will still fear him. I can see him telling Alfred that if he goes soft on criminals, nobody will fear him anymore. I believe he’ll show more selflessness later on. This is why Freeze works so well. Empathy for someone you hate or disagree with. Empathy for those you helped put away in Blackgate/Arkham.

I’d like to see a “I can never stop, never quit, no matter what happens in this city”. He’s a lifer and that would be a new thing for Matt and Mattson to make clear in the screenplay via Bruce’s journal. Not just about endurance but “this is my life. I’m the Batman. They’ll have to kill me before I lay my cowl down”.

3. Lautox Johnny Slick

I could see a scene like the one we got with Bruce fighting off cops but now with the press, maybe they get too personal and he just rages against them