What "style" should the Dr. Strange movie be?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
What thematic style should the Dr. Strange movie be in? Should it be action-sci-fi like the Marvel movies up to date? Should it be more horror-suspense? Should it be broad fantasy like Hobbit/LOTR? Should it try to tread another road entirely?

Gangnam style, of course. :D

I think it should bridge the gap between fantasy and horror. Lovecraftian style. I picked horror/suspense, since that's the closest; but really, it's both. Dark fantasy.

Dark Fantasy is a good way to describe it. Like Pan's Labyrinth. But it should also be somewhat abstract/surreal. Like The Fountain maybe? I wouldnt mind being confused throughout a Dr. Strange film.

Dark Fantasy but still reachable for the average movie goer.

Along the lines of the Ninth Gate. With more fantasy like Pans Labyrinth. It should Marvels darkest film yet.

Gangnam style, of course. :D

I think it should bridge the gap between fantasy and horror. Lovecraftian style. I picked horror/suspense, since that's the closest; but really, it's both. Dark fantasy.

lol...

I think the watchmen style would work

Team Up style, with Marvel setting a release date for Midnight Sons before Del Toro and DC complete work on Dark Universe.

Steve Ditko style...

agreed agreed omg agreed.

we need lots and lots of this:
planes.jpg

and even more of this:
Ditko+Doctor+Strange+Blacklight.jpg

steve ditko style, aka lysergic acid diethylamide style.

It's gotta be gritty and realistic. Nolanesque. :o

:o <--to emphasize the sarcasm.

I would like to see it horror/suspense with some fantasy action. Gothically ornate, super tense, but still darkly funny. Like Ninth Gate, The Prophecy, The Prestige, Angel Heart, The Order with shades of The Sorcerer's Apprentice but ya know less goofy and actually like they are trying.

As much as I hate continued suggestions to make the Marvel Cinematic Universe more Nolanesque --- all dark and gritty --- Dr. Strange is one Marvel property that actually fits that bill.

Minus the realism part, of course. :)

High fantasy. It should be similar in genre to Thor, just with urban fantasy elements rather than sci-fi ones.

As much as I hate continued suggestions to make the Marvel Cinematic Universe more Nolanesque --- all dark and gritty --- Dr. Strange is one Marvel property that actually fits that bill.

Minus the realism part, of course. :)
Of course, there are those who would argue that the association people make between Nolan and realism is highly exaggerated. Anyone up for Nolan to direct a Dr. Strange movie? Hahaha...

High fantasy. It should be similar in genre to Thor, just with urban fantasy elements rather than sci-fi ones.

Nah....Strange's magic is occult; Aleister Crowley type stuff, not Gandalf or Harry Potter stuff.

I voted other because basically you're going to need elements of all the other choices to make this work. No Marvel superhero movie can be w/o action and a sense of adventure. Those are foundational and a common denominator of all their films and Dr. Strange is no exception. But I agree with calling it "dark fantasy" as that seems most accurate to the unique factors/variables that Dr. Strange brings to the superhero movie table.

I'd say Hellboy 1&2 meets Blade II meets Sucker Punch would be the way to go.

Paul Giamatti said he wanted Dr. Strange to be this big psychedelic trip of a movie.

In a lot of ways a Dr. Strange movie would be sort of like Batman Begins.

Lovecraftian style with a Indian Jones kind of lightness to it

I think of all the films in Marveldom, Strange stands to suffer the most from typical Marvel Studios parameters of tone and content.

I don't understand that "Indiana Jones kind of lightness" part.

There was never anything "light" about the series. Dr. Strange is about black magic, the occult, HP Lovecraft stories (sometimes quite literally, as they borrowed actual names and characters from the Cthulhu mythos), and psychedelic forces of supernature that threatened to rip apart the very fabric of reality.

I've never read a Dr. Strange comic that made me giggle. Even one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"