what was wrong with the daredevil costume?

but not a whole life time of wanting to kill Spiderman

That is a bit of an overstatement... He didn't want to kill Spiderman for a lifetime. Just the past couple months??? Years??? But sure, the amnesia thing is tired. However, that was merely a small part of the film's problems... It should have just been the new GG and Venom in the plot... with a more robust storyline around how the symbiote made Spidey just as cross as a hatefull Harry. That would have escalated the tension in their conflict. Then more time and depth on the conflict with Venom after the separation would have been much appreciated.

Nonetheless... DD and Affleck were still, far and way, worse than SM3. Just an opinion.

Ya know, I seem to be in the minority when I say that Spiderman 3, while obviously flawed and definitely not up to par with the previous films, was still watchable & fairly entertaining. Sure, Raimi & co. dropped the ball trying to cram too much in and using tired plot devices like the amnesia ploy, but I still enjoyed it. Would I go see it in the theater again? No, but I feel that people are giving it an unfair rap because they expected so much.
Daredevil in itself wasn't truly horrible either. I kinda liked the theatrical release & the director's cut even more. There were quite a few great aspects to both, but the movie as a whole was still a bit of a let down for me. Some low budget CGI, story holes & some corny, choppy dialogue, the aforementioned playground scene and Affleck's wooden performance killed it for me. (If you can watch the "You've killed everything I've ever loved" scene & not cringe, then you are a better person than I!) Don't get me wrong, I still watch it on DVD occasionally and enjoy it, but I can't help think that it could have been so much better with some "tweaks" and recasting the main character. I don't hate Affleck, I just think he's shown recently with "Gone Baby Gone" that his real talent lies behind the camera and he should explore that.
Back on topic: The suit was cool looking, though.

of course its an overstatment rich! you should know me by now come on man! its to put that "whoompfa" on stuff i say. yes i know its was months, but amnesia is so so tiresome in anything now.Personally i think they should have just went with sandman which it looked like they were in the beginning( also i don't like venom as a character, buts thats just me).Thats cool that you liked SM3. that what makes the world go around. Plus it seems that more people dislike the Daredevil anyway. So i know i am in the minority anyway.i do agree that the should have given the Devil his due in a movie since he's such a great character... oh and yeah the suit was cool.

of course its an overstatment rich! you should know me by now come on man! its to put that "whoompfa" on stuff i say.

:woot: I hear you... I agreed that the amnesia bit was lame in general. Overall, SM3 was hurting in many areas... I was OK with the GG plot to continuing on, because it was just not resolved... It had to be in there. Then, there could have been either the Venom story-line, or the introduction of Sandman (sans the "killed uncle Ben" retcon)... Either villain story would have worked for me (but not both)... They could have even had GG approach Sandman at some point in the film, or as a epilogue, to unite against Spidey (prelude to Sinister Six)... But as is, the movie was weak... but BETTER THAN DD. :woot:

But as is, the movie was weak... but BETTER THAN DD. :woot:
WeaK?? thats an understatement Rich.( see i said over and you said under). I mean Tobey doing his "Saturday night fever" impression( all he needed was the white suit) made DD playground fight pale in comparison. Why is it that when good guys go bad they go campy?!( ie Superman pushing the leaning Tower of Pisa back in place in Supes 3, Tobey's dance with Gwen routine). Or how i about that tearful "I forgive you Sandman."as Sandy just drifts off to commit more crimes.I'm sure the guards that Sandy attempted to murder during the car robbery didnt forgive him. I thought the good guys arrested people for that? Man! the whole movie looked like Sam Rami just wanted his money and ran.DD at least tried to be a serious movie.Like i said it could've been much better but it was better than SM3 Rich. hehe but i still got nothing but love for you.

( see i said over and you said under).

LOL... you clever dog...

However, after reading your post... you have convinced me that it was an 'understatement'... SM3 had some real issues. I am ready to throw them both into the circular file (alomg with Ghost Rider, Elektra, Blade 3, X3, The Hulk, and FF). Anyway... I am feeling the love, so it's all good. :yay:

psst... DD sucked... :cwink:

Last edited:
After watching Iron man and the newest hulk I want to trash all marvel movies and get real faithful version. Spidey, xmen, DD, Fantastic four all of them could be done 100% better by the new marvel studio IMO.

I have that inclination as well... But I think Blade, Blade 2, SM and SM2 are keepers. But as for the rest... eh

The costume looked pretty good and the only thing I would change is losing the ties at the back of the mask (which, while digitally taken out, can still be seen in some shots) and making the DD emblem bigger.

Also while the theatrical cut blew the directors cut is freaking amazing and NEEDS to be seen.

There was nothing wrong with the costume, it was the contents inside of the costume that get on my nerves.

it was better than a sweat shirt and jeans, which fox executives actually considered according to the making of on the first dvd. the brass at fox really earned their piss poor rep on daredevil, the costume designer said mark steven johnson just put a bowen daredevil maquette on his desk and asked him to just do that. and that within 24 hours he was getting calls from executives saying they didn't want horns and weren't sure about it being red.

Yup, and at one point, the costume even had a hood.

And it looked terrible.

While there were aspects about the costume that was used that I liked/disliked - I'm mindful that we couldve got alot worse.

After watching Iron man and the newest hulk I want to trash all marvel movies and get real faithful version. Spidey, xmen, DD, Fantastic four all of them could be done 100% better by the new marvel studio IMO.

I'd be lying if I said that thought hadnt crossed my find a few times too.

I probably wouldnt include Spidey into that mix but the others definately.

The costume was fine. Even Affleck was reasonable. The suit wasn't the problem, the suits were the problem.

My problem with Daredevil's suit was it just didn't seem like it would be something a hero with his talents would wear. He's supposed to be lithe and acrobatic. He's also supposed to be trained in ninja like martial arts. Wearing ristricting red leather isn't the way they should have gone. You can thank Xmen for this. I've always thought that Daredevil should move somewhat like Spiderman without the web shooting and wall crawling therefore he sould have worn form fitting fabric with strategically placed protection around his joints and torso as he isn't superhuman. Another problem is Affleck seemed kind of bulky to me. Just my honest take

Originally Posted by X-Maniac
The costume was fine. Even Affleck was reasonable. The suit wasn't the problem, the suits were the problem.

One of the best statements said.

When your stopping production while filming and pulling the director aside to have a meeting on the colour and shade of red, you know the suits have no idea what they are doing.*

*Yes this actually happened on the set of DD.

I agree 100%. I hope the suits at Marvel are looking at what the Dark Knight did. DD is their version of Batman..dark & gritty & they should re-boot him pronto.

im agreeing with everyone. The Directors Cut needs to be seen more. They should have re-released it in theaters where it was suppose to be seen.

The directors cut was certainly superior to the standard cut but they both still shared one massive flaw:-

The god-awful 'wire-work flitatious playground fight scene'.

That scene brings the movie down sooooooo much.

To answer the question they didn't look like this:

DDBullseye.jpg

Ya know, I seem to be in the minority when I say that Spiderman 3, while obviously flawed and definitely not up to par with the previous films, was still watchable & fairly entertaining. Sure, Raimi & co. dropped the ball trying to cram too much in and using tired plot devices like the amnesia ploy, but I still enjoyed it. Would I go see it in the theater again? No, but I feel that people are giving it an unfair rap because they expected so much.

Daredevil in itself wasn't truly horrible either. I kinda liked the theatrical release & the director's cut even more.

Back on topic: The suit was cool looking, though.

Minority here maybe but 100% right nonetheless. Spider-Man 3 may have been too ambitious but it's far more intelligent and fun then most sniveling fanboys give it credit.

Daredevil The Director's Cut is also a very underrated film. The costume worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"