The Avengers What Would Happen if Thor and Cap Bomb?

with Marvel's mindstate recently, I'm calling Thor/Cap/Avengers = ONE BIG OL' GIGANTIC FLOP!

That's one to remember the next time some Edward Norton fan complains that Marvel got rid of him to save money. That is probably a wise move on their part.

I'm glad somebody said it. Even though Marvel is seen as the villains here (maybe rightfully so due to Feige's comments about Norton), its a smart move for The Avengers not to bring back Norton. I doubt Banner would have much screentime due to the Hulk being more important to the Avengers film than Banner.

As for a TIH sequel, since Norton was the one that had done the recuts and was so active in pre-production he might as well have been the director than Leterrier (I hope I spelled his last name right). Plus Leterrier's too much of an action director. The plots in most of his films suffer because of it.

By the way guys, I have created a thread that the opposite of this one.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=338577

with Marvel's mindstate recently, I'm calling Thor/Cap/Avengers = ONE BIG OL' GIGANTIC FLOP!

Yes, just because they re-cast Hulk, a character who hasn't found real box office success yet, those movies will all bomb.

In their defense, if you were Marvel and Norton wanted more money for less screentime with his track record being slightly on the side of a control freak would you sign him back if it meant that he could hurt the director's vision of the film, especially considering all the controversies and problems during the production of TIH?

they knew how Norton was in 2007. why did they cast him then?

In their defense, if you were Marvel and Norton wanted more money for less screentime with his track record being slightly on the side of a control freak would you sign him back if it meant that he could hurt the director's vision of the film, especially considering all the controversies and problems during the production of TIH?

who's to say he wanted MORE money? No where does it state that, if it does, show me

and it's already been said a dozen times, what part about it don't some of you people get? Honestly, it's like some of you chose to ignore the little aspect of "They knew what he was like before casting him in TIH, yet they casted him anyway"........"They knew whoever they casted in TIH would be used in Avengers, yet they casted him anyway"

what they're doing now is called "back peddling" and it's not a strong suit on ANYONE.....it makes you look weak

PLAIN ..... AND .... SIMPLE

I'm done bringing that up constantly, some of you refuse to accept the real situation at hand

If any of them flop. I'll get upset for a few days, shrug, and then move on with my life.

If any of them flop. I'll get upset for a few days, shrug, and then move on with my life.

I won't

I'll tear off my clothes, throw them to the ground, stomp on them a few times, set them a blaze and with my arms spread open, look up to the sky and yell "WWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL, here's the thing. At the end of the day as much as I want to love these movies and have them be good . . . life will (hopefully ;) ) continue long afterward.

So there will other stuff to hopefully like and get upset over if it craps out :) . Got to find the next thing. And build more perfect grade Gundam models.

I'm worried about how a film called "Captain America" will be perceived in the international market? Will people outside the US care?

I think both movies will do fine but won't be humongous successes like Ironman was. The films will make a decent amount of income i predict but i dont think the studios will be rushing to produce sequels anytime soon. I think Cap and Thor have just enough of a fanbase to make a decent amount of money.

Last edited:
Idk with my overall disappointment with how Iron Man 2 having too many characters Ed Norton being replaced. The costumes of Thor and how they put everyone in Captain America it is just looking like a big money toy marketing then a serious film.

Marvel is just one big convulted mess lately

I can take a stab and guess that their offices are filled with people running around like chickens with their heads cut off and shoved firmly up their ...well, you catch my drift

^the thing about that is they already casted norton, back in 2008

recasting "to save money" makes them out to look like they're "backpeddling" on their original plan

if these actors cost too much to put into 1 movie, why cast them in the solo films in the first place? Why not cast cheaper actors for the build up and use those same actors in The Avengers

rather then using expensive actors for the solo films just to cheap out on the climax??? doesn't make much sense does it?

no it doesn't, not in the slightest. And this in turn is giving them a bad image which is causing fans to second guess even watching the film all together, which will, in the long run, hurt them rather than help

bottom line, "cutting corners" is NEVER under any circumstance, a "good thing"
When they initially began production on IM and TIH in 2006/2007 they had not yet decided to make an Avengers team-up movie.

who's to say he wanted MORE money? No where does it state that, if it does, show me

and it's already been said a dozen times, what part about it don't some of you people get? Honestly, it's like some of you chose to ignore the little aspect of "They knew what he was like before casting him in TIH, yet they casted him anyway"........"They knew whoever they casted in TIH would be used in Avengers, yet they casted him anyway"

what they're doing now is called "back peddling" and it's not a strong suit on ANYONE.....it makes you look weak

PLAIN ..... AND .... SIMPLE

I'm done bringing that up constantly, some of you refuse to accept the real situation at hand

You yourself were implying just that in this very thread and using it against Marvel.

there's too many factors that come into play to make that judgement call

after all, there is the saying "You've got to spend money to make money"

cutting corners like getting rid of Norton to "save money" could in the end cost/hurt them

^the thing about that is they already casted norton, back in 2008

recasting "to save money" makes them out to look like they're "backpeddling" on their original plan

if these actors cost too much to put into 1 movie, why cast them in the solo films in the first place? Why not cast cheaper actors for the build up and use those same actors in The Avengers

rather then using expensive actors for the solo films just to cheap out on the climax??? doesn't make much sense does it?

no it doesn't, not in the slightest. And this in turn is giving them a bad image which is causing fans to second guess even watching the film all together, which will, in the long run, hurt them rather than help

bottom line, "cutting corners" is NEVER under any circumstance, a "good thing"

(Cutting corners is never a good thing? Ever?)

And I also notice it's perfectly fine to assume things about Marvel in this deal and blast them for it but we can't assume things about Norton?

He must have done something to get fired. The implication that Feige just woke up one morning and decided to get rid of Norton doesn't work for me.

When they initially began production on IM and TIH in 2006/2007 they had not yet decided to make an Avengers team-up movie.
Yes they had. Avengers was one of the movies in their planned Marvel Studios deal.

Yes they had. Avengers was one of the movies in their planned Marvel Studios deal.
Not as a team-up film bringing together the actors from the various films, and not as an immediate film. Shang-Chi and Power Pack were in their deal too, and neither of those films is actively moving forward at the moment.

They negotiated deals with the IM cast with only the IM franchise in mind. They negotiated deals with the TIH cast with only the Hulk franchise in mind. They negotiated deals with the IM2, Thor, and CA casts with both the individual franchises and the Avengers franchise in mind.

yea, you think I'm going through all of that again

not happening

and I can't believe you're actually trying to say they haven't had the Avengers planned out since IM began production

:lmao: that's a load of BULL right there

now I know it's a waste of time trying to get into this all over again with you "Chewy", clearly, you just don't get it

@ JeetKuneDo:

yea, it's the damn truth. Cutting corners is never a good thing

try to prove to me that it is

I'm worried about how a film called "Captain America" will be perceived in the international market? Will people outside the US care?

If it's good, I think the movie can do well. It's going to be in 3D and it's a WWII movie. Saving Private Ryan made more money overseas then it did in the U.S. for instance. It's the same with Inglourious Basterds and shockingly even the p.o.s. Pearl Harbor. Band of Brothers is also very popular in other countries too.

Granted, this movie is about walking American propaganda--but I think most reasonable people know that it isn't going to be that. The bad guys are Nazi's and they are perfect villians. I hope this movie advertises (and is) a sci-fi/war superhero Indiana Jones movie.

Not as a team-up film bringing together the actors from the various films, and not as an immediate film. Shang-Chi and Power Pack were in their deal too, and neither of those films is actively moving forward at the moment.

They negotiated deals with the IM cast with only the IM franchise in mind. They negotiated deals with the TIH cast with only the Hulk franchise in mind. They negotiated deals with the IM2, Thor, and CA casts with both the individual franchises and the Avengers franchise in mind.
Wrong again. That was the plan in 2006.

It was a "plan" in a very loose sense. A sort of "wouldn't it be cool if..." It was not greenlit and they weren't signing their actors on to do it, only Zak Penn. Their primary goal at that point was making a hit, any hit. They needed to get their studio off the ground.

The plans to do an Avengers film were only firmed up when they decided to get SLJ to do a cameo and solidified when IM's OW numbers came in.

If it's good, I think the movie can do well. It's going to be in 3D and it's a WWII movie. Saving Private Ryan made more money overseas then it did in the U.S. for instance. It's the same with Inglourious Basterds and shockingly even the p.o.s. Pearl Harbor. Band of Brothers is also very popular in other countries too.

Granted, this movie is about walking American propaganda--but I think most reasonable people know that it isn't going to be that. The bad guys are Nazi's and they are perfect villians. I hope this movie advertises (and is) a sci-fi/war superhero Indiana Jones movie.

I'm worried more about it being released only a week after the final Harry Potter film.

I'm worried more about it being released only a week after the final Harry Potter film.

I am not too concerned. The first Iron Man opened up the same month as Indy 4 and still made money. I think Cap and Potter are different demographics anyway.

The only thing I can guarantee is that the cut scenes from Thor or Cap will be BETTER than the entire Green Lantern film that gets released... and I do mean guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"