What's up with Fire Emblem?

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Fire Emblem?

febundle.jpg

I'm kind of thinking about getting the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, but I don't know a thing about the series. What is the game like? What other titles can you compare it to? Will I be completely lost in the story if I haven't played any of the previous games?

I've never really been all that big into Fire Emblem.

How much do you like turn based? If you answered "better than anything ever" then FE is the game for you.

I'm not to into the series...It's also weird that the bundle is a 3DS bundle...and not an XL bundle.

Edit: Here's 15 minutes of gameplay.

[YT]pUjaiv9oRus[/YT]

I love Fire Emblem. Its a RTS game with RPG elements (leveling up, stats).

The games take place on an overworld chart-like map where you take turns with the opponent (CPU) moving members of your army from one spot to another (each unit can move x number of spaces, with x being a variable dependant on that unit, anything from 5 spaces or more). When units are in range of an enemy, a quick automatic battle takes place where each unit in that battle attacks once.

Up until recently, whenever units fall in battle, they die permenantly. Characters deaths will affect the flow and outcome of the game's story, as well as character's interactions. Recently, Nintendo has added the option of keeping units that die (disabling permadeath). However, if your Lord character (the main character) or any other pivitol (key) character dies, its an automatic game over.

Weapons and spells in the games all have a limited amount of uses. Once you've attacked a certain amount of times with a weapon/spell, that weapon breaks/spell is exhausted. So if a Lance has a use of 30, it will be gone after 30 uses. This forces you to rotate your arsenal.

Certain units have advantages and disadvantages against other types of units. There's a rock-paper-scissors element to the combat.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is available for demo-download. Also, if you ever played an Advance Wars game, you pretty much have FE experience as the games are very similar.

Sounds pretty awesome. I only ever played the first Advance Wars, but I liked it a lot.

I don't find the games bad... Just hard to get into. It's the type of game that has to be up your alley to begin with.

I started Spiritual Stones but still haven't gotten to finishing it. One thing neat in that game is when you move your characters, if you keep certain ones near each other, they develop chemistry and you'll see extra dialog with them.

I've read the series has a learning curve. Sacred Stones being among the easier, I think. Also, they're often very difficult to find over time. So if you ever see them for a reasonable price, definitely pick them up. The Wii and Gamecube games you'll be lucky to find $50 used.

One thing neat in that game is when you move your characters, if you keep certain ones near each other, they develop chemistry and you'll see extra dialog with them.

Hmm... Valkyria Chronicles had a similar thing where certain characters got along better with others so you would want to try and keep them in close proximity.

I think I'm gonna pick this up when it comes out. I've been kind of itching for a new decent 3DS game that's not a Mario derivative.

Next 3DS game I'll get will probably be Castlevania in March. Jazzed about that one.

Next 3DS game I'll get will probably be Castlevania in March. Jazzed about that one.

Doesn't Luigi's Mansion come out in March too? With Fire Emblem, Castlevania and Luigi's Mansion coming out, my little 3DS is actually gonna get played.

Does it!? It's been delayed so much that I don't even remember. But yeah, my 3DS is getting some serious play time. I'm still playing Paper Mario.

Does it!? It's been delayed so much that I don't even remember. But yeah, my 3DS is getting some serious play time. I'm still playing Paper Mario.

Yeah I checked and Luigi's Mansion comes out sometime near the end of March.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is releasing on February 4th. Mark you calenders! Excellent reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/fire-emblem-awakening

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/fire-emblem-awakening-review

The best thing to hit the 3DS since Super Mario 3D Land.

Far too few people have played the Fire Emblem series. A darling of the hardcore strategy RPG crowd - and one of the shining gems of the genre - the biggest hurdle the franchise has faced in terms of reaching a broader audience has largely been due to its niche nature and brutal difficulty. But with Fire Emblem Awakening, that velvet curtain has been pulled back, and the series has finally come into its own as something gamers of all proficiencies and backgrounds can enjoy. The folks at Intelligent Systems have created a remarkably accessible Fire Emblem experience, and they did it without sacrificing the intensity that FE loyalists hold near and dear. Boasting both the depth and nuance that tactical RPG fans crave and the ease-of-use and fluid tutorial system that newcomers require, Awakening is the ultimate portable strategy RPG, and the new crowning jewel of the Nintendo 3DS’s fledgling library.

Awakening’s general gameplay model will look familiar to anyone who’s ever tried their hand at a tactical RPG. Much like a game of chess, the joy in this sort of experience comes largely from strategizing. You’ll have to figure out exactly how to position each unit, who to take into battle, and which weapons and skills to equip. You'll need to think 10 steps ahead and push yourself to devise new tactics to take your opponent off guard. It’s a slow and satisfying progression, one that builds and builds as battles evolve and new mechanics are introduced.

Fleshing out this basic model is a mix of classic Fire Emblem features and new gameplay additions. These include the new option of pairing teammates in battle, the Seal system whereby you can change a character’s class, and the ability to build relationships between units (over time two characters can even get married and have a kid - who can eventually be recruited to your team). All these things and more inform the layered and sophisticated battle system, and go a long way towards making you truly feel like a great tactician.

One of the most impressive things about Awakening is how insanely customizable it is. Not just a matter of convenience, this plays a key role in the game’s accessibility as well, as both casual and hardcore players alike can tailor the experience to their liking. You can switch between the Japanese or English track. You can skip past cutscenes and either skip or speed up battle animations, even the first time you see them. You can decide how much information is displayed about each character on the bottom screen. This is just a small sampling of the options available, meaning essentially any nitpicky quibble a player could have can now be adjusted to their liking, and it’s remarkable how much having that kind of control enhances the overall experience.

Even more important than its cosmetic implications, however, is how the advanced customization options affect gameplay. The game presents four difficulty levels to choose from (Normal, Hard, Lunatic and the unlockable Lunatic Plus). This complements the new ability to play in either the Classic style (where characters who die stay dead) or the Casual style (where you can save anytime and permadeath is disabled). These two sets of options alone mean there’s no longer any reason for strategy RPG newcomers to miss out on the Fire Emblem action.

The Casual mode is an especially brilliant way to ease players into the FE waters, or even to just allow busy gamers to run through the story without having to worry about missing out on a character arc because that person died and they don’t have time to redo the entire battle. The tutorial system is also something to behold. It can be disabled right from the get-go for those who already know their way around a Falchion, but even if you leave it on it’s incredibly unobtrusive. The game impressively finds a concise, clear way to explain all of the game’s many nuances without ever overwhelming the player with a rush of new information. So whatever your proficiency with the series or genre, you can easily select a play style and difficulty that will allow you to enjoy this incredible experience to its fullest.

But that’s just the gameplay. Sure, that’s the meat of any good strategy RPG, but the heart is inarguably the world and the characters - this is true of all FE games, and it’s truer than ever in Awakening. While on the surface Awakening offers another “royal hero protecting the kingdom” storyline, it comes off as far from stale. As the narrative unfolds, the story takes more chances, artfully drawing the player in and investing them in the kingdom of Ylisse. I was truly surprised at several points, and by the end I honestly felt like I’d been on a remarkable journey and really grew attached to my faithful teammates. Expect to be genuinely surprised and moved at several points, to ride waves of triumph and feel the sting of grief as Chrom’s story unfolds chapter by chapter, battle by epic battle.

Part of the story’s success comes from the expert characterization. The impeccable localization aptly preserves each character’s quirks as well as the game’s delightful sense of humor. Few games can so readily attach a player to such a wide array of characters, or keep each addition to such a large, revolving cast so distinct and memorable, but Awakening achieves both. I learned to love Chrom’s trusting yet noble nature, Frederick’s devotion to the royal family, Lissa’s girlish charm and Virion’s hilarious narcissism. Each character felt like a real presence in the world, one that moved me to fight hard to keep them all alive and see their individual arcs reach fruition.

Lovable and memorable characters are one of Awakening's biggest draws.

Herein lies the franchise’s greatest strength. The characters are so fleshed out that they have a real and tangible presence in the world. The overhanging threat that any of them can die at any time - and just like in real life, they’ll stay dead forever - lends more intensity to each battle. With every choice, every battle and every teammate you let fall, you’re writing your own story and playing a key role in determining the destiny of everyone around you. This makes for a truly special and unforgettable experience, as your choices carry real weight and have a real effect on the game’s characters. Few games can stake this claim, and while casual players can play with permadeath turned off if they so please, doing so would be electively stripping the game of one of its more profound features.

Topping off the evolved battle system and expert characterization is the fact that the game is absolutely gorgeous. Rivaling Resident Evil Revelations as one of the most impressive visual spectacles on the system, Awakening offers a stunning blend of anime-inspired cutscenes and scenes that unfold via lively CG animations, as well as traditional text boxes accented by character art and a tilted battlefield with sprites that stick out like art in a pop-up book (an impressive show of the 3D effect).

Having several distinct ways to tell the story helps keep the narrative fresh and interesting, and shows off this immersive world in style. You’ll go from the first person opening, which throws the player in the middle of the world, to a scene from the perspective of an arrow heading towards Chrom’s head, to a black room filled only with a villainous silhouette, purple haze and the eerie sound of screeching violins and tribal drums. Small visual flairs like the snow or sand effects in certain areas look absolutely incredible, and act as a fitting reminder of what the system’s 3D effect can add to an experience.

The music is also completely stunning, capturing the gravity of each situation - from the rousing main theme to the daring battle march to the doleful tune that plays when you lose a soldier. The character designs are a sight to behold, and the fact that the location of battle animations is informed by your location on the map is a much-appreciated upgrade. The result of all these extra touches and attention to detail is a game boasting possibly the best production value I’ve ever seen on a portable.

Once you’re invested in the world of Ylisse, you won’t ever want to leave. And with the amount of gameplay offered here, you won’t have to for the foreseeable future. Extending the already lengthy adventure are optional side quests and characters to recruit, occasional map and character distributions via SpotPass, planned DLC (we can count on a new map every week for the first couple of months, some of which will extend the story), putting together a StreetPass team, multiplayer battles and more. In other words, the Falchion-fueled fun never has to end.

The Verdict

Fire Emblem Awakening is the most fluid and stunning strategy RPG experience available on a portable, and features the best storytelling and production value of any 3DS game to date. The strong tactical gameplay and strikingly diverse visuals are only part of the equation - the strength of the game comes from the strength of the characters. The desire to protect them and progress their individual story arcs drives home the weight of your decisions, and makes you feel more involved and invested than most games ever come close to. I found myself going to great lengths to keep all members of my team alive - not due to the compulsive need to collect all the warriors, but because I truly cared about these people. That’s rare for a videogame, where death is often a temporary and inconsequential occurrence.

While many of these concepts aren’t new to the Fire Emblem series, never before have they been presented in such a refined and easily accessible package. In this way, Awakening exceeds all prior installments for a game that is at once a Fire Emblem lover's dream come true and a brilliant entry point to both the franchise and the genre. This isn’t just a Fire Emblem game, this is where Fire Emblem finally awakens from its deep slumber as a cult favorite and steps up as one of the Big N’s big franchises, no longer shackled by its niche origins. And it didn’t achieve this by sacrificing its identity either, but rather by refining the franchise’s already solid foundation so that its accessibility and caliber should easily qualify it as a quintessential portable experience, right up there with the likes of Super Mario 3D Land or Pokemon Black and White 2.

If you have access to a 3DS, don’t deny yourself this truly special and incredible experience.

Does anyone know anything about Fire Emblem?

febundle.jpg

I'm kind of thinking about getting the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, but I don't know a thing about the series. What is the game like? What other titles can you compare it to? Will I be completely lost in the story if I haven't played any of the previous games?

Late to the party, but that's an awesome 3DS.

Sweet, less than a week. I'll go pre-order tomorrow.

BTW here's the IGN review. This game looks amazing!

[YT]JvupmEk1peE[/YT]

There are a bunch of delay's with Fire Emblems release. I've been to every retailer in a 30 mile radius of me and nobody has it. Amazon can't even ship it due to delays. Nintendo should include an asterisk on their release dates. This same **** happened when I went to buy Pokemon Conquest. It was advertised to come out on July 18th and I wasn't able to buy it in stores until the 23rd or 25th. Get it together Nintendo!!!

Is Nintendo known to be bad about that stuff? Because that kind of thing has happened to me a few times in the past, but I just chalked it up to bad luck.

Is Nintendo known to be bad about that stuff? Because that kind of thing has happened to me a few times in the past, but I just chalked it up to bad luck.

Every time it's happened to me it's on a Monday release date. Somehow Nintendo hasn't figured out that retailers put out new media on Tuesday's, so even if it is a Monday release date, the retailer won't put it on the shelves until Tuesday. With Fire Emblem though, I've been reading reports that there is a delay and places like Gamestop and Best Buy aren't supposed to have copies until later this week.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/04/report-fire-emblem-awakening-retail-shipments-delayed/

Amazon is warning of a "potential shipping delay" for Fire Emblem: Awakening, and GameStop marks it "currently unavailable online" – despite today being the official release date for the 3DS strategy game. Best Buy also shows it as unavailable.

Game Informer spoke to a few stores, and found Best Buys expecting copies on February 6, and GameStops expecting them on February 8. We've checked in with Nintendo for more information on the supply issues.

In the meantime, there are no supply issues on the 3DS eShop, where Fire Emblem: Awakening launched this morning.

This Fire Emblem delay kinda messed up my plans for today. It's my only day off this week and I wanted to spend it playing this game. :cmad:

Yep... Delayed to Friday due to Nintendo not shipping in time.

I can't get it until Thursday (if it's out then), so this doesn't bother me, but in theory, it does. Games with last minute, unannounced delays are bothersome.

The Gamestop near me just told me that they're expecting them in on Wednesday. How frikken hard is it for Nintendo to ship the damn game on time?

I found a Target near me that got a shipment of Fire Emblem in. I got all kinds of excited and drove 30 minutes to it. When I got there I discovered they were sold out. I asked the sales associate if there was a big rush, and how many copies they got in their shipment. Turns out, Nintendo sent that store two copies. TWO. They got TWO ****ing copies of the game. No other retailer in my area got the game, but this one Target GOT TWO ****ING COPIES. Who is running Nintendo? Do they spin the "wheel of stupid" when making decisions?

There are a bunch of delay's with Fire Emblems release. I've been to every retailer in a 30 mile radius of me and nobody has it. Amazon can't even ship it due to delays. Nintendo should include an asterisk on their release dates. This same **** happened when I went to buy Pokemon Conquest. It was advertised to come out on July 18th and I wasn't able to buy it in stores until the 23rd or 25th. Get it together Nintendo!!!

I'd wager they got 2 copies because they had 2 preorders. It seems stores everywhere have supply issues, even Amazon. So there seems to be some issue with production. Fire Emblem is notorious for limited prints which doesn't help the situation. Pokemon Conquest is one of those games that does great in Japan but can never do well in America. I remember I ordered it on Amazon since I figured it'd be OOP and hard to find. However, it's since been in stock. This will be sorted out, too.

It is available for download through the eShop though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"