What's your latest read?

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by sirmarkus, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Just finished reading The Sandman: The Dream Hunters (trade), by Neil Gaiman.

In 1999, three years after the original Sandman ended, Gaiman was invited by Karen Berger (former Executive Editor at Vertigo, and the series' original editor) to write something to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the saga's start. He came up with The Dream Hunters - published not as a comic but as a novella, with illustrations by Y. Amano. It was a success, winning the Bram Stoker Award for Best Illustrated Narrative in 2000.

In 2007 frequent Gaiman collaborator P. Craig Russell decided to illustrate a comic adaptation of the story, published in 2008 as a four-issue mini-series; this is the version I've read.

The story seems to take place in 17th/18th century Japan (although the period isn't stated). There are four principal characters; Dream, the monk, the fox, and a scheming onmyoji (basically, an alchemist/magician) - the last three never being named. As with his previous Sandman work, Gaiman intertwines mystical, mythological, and religious references and imagery seamlessly. That said, it works fine as a standalone (for any who have read the other volumes there are some nice nods). It's a tale of love, revenge, and destiny*; there's a strong sense of inevitability as you read. And whilst those anticipating a happy ending won't be disappointed, neither will those anticipating a sad one.

Gaiman originally declared his story was based on a Japanese folk tale - although he later admitted that wasn't true ("its faux pedigree [just] a whimsical part of the whole", Russell later commented).

Russell's artwork is generally a bit hit 'n' miss for me, but his style works here, being well-suited to both the tale and the period.

With Dream as enigmatic as ever, and the other characters - although nameless - being well-drawn (in every sense), this is a charming, impactful story.

7.5/10

*Destiny of the Endless never appears or is mentioned in the story - although some of Russell's illustrations do have Dream holding a very large book. The implication is pretty clear.

#351 Milk Tray Guy, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  2. GutterTalk Registered

My last reads from DC were the two latest DC vs Vampires issues. #8 and All Out War #2. Issue #8 got extra sexy this month for some reason, which has always been a funny side of this series. I've heard some have issues with the series, I don't take it seriously and find it enjoyable. I discuss more in my monthly wrap up on Youtube.

3. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I just picked up Gotham City: Year One. You’ve got to respect a good Slam Bradley story. And Tom King is a good mystery writer.

This is dripping with atmosphere. It’s a great start. This is Tom King’s version of a Humphrey Bogart noir mystery. Definitely liking it so far.

4. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I have just finished Death of the New Gods. I started that several times and then bailed a few issues in. So I decided that this would be the time that I actually completed it.

And wow, I wish that I hadn’t. This had to be the most nihilistic work I’ve ever read in comics. Jim Starlin’s whole message can be summed up in one panel from the second to last issue where Scott Free recognizes that The Source has abandoned him and disregarded him. Scott cries out to the Source, stating “I worshipped you. I have dedicated my whole life to your service!” And the Source’s response? “I never asked you to do that.” The story was joyless, depressing and lacked any sense of purpose.
    I put this one just a notch above All Star Batman and Robin or Dark Knight Strikes Again for worst comics I’ve ever read.

5. SaxAndViolins Registered

Harley Quinn: Legion of Bats is my favorite book from DC right now it's so much fun!

And so ****ing wonderfully queer

Ivy and Harley are great together in this book and the whole cast of characters are a joy. This writer needs to get more DC work like this

Catwoman is pretty great so far too

Poison Ivy is another favorite title at present. G Willow Wilson is doing an amazing job writing Ivy here