When did it become alright to be a hick?

I hate the Blue Collar ****, and everyone associated with it, every who likes it, and woman in charge of the Sci-Fi channel.

I believe I know exactly what you're saying.

I feel it when I watch the documentary "Trekkies".
It's a laugh explosion because the Trekkies are so hilariously out of touch, hopelessly nerdy, delusional, etc., but I also watch with envy.
All they need to find ultimate fulfilment....to unlock paradise on Earth...can be found under one umbrella....to shake hands with Brent Spiner...to win the right to pay $10,000 for a floppy piece of Klingon rubber once worn by "Klingon Guard #3" in episode 7 of ST:TNG......they all seem beyond pathetic, and preternaturally content.
More or less I would say that's about what it feels like. They are content to never reach contentment.

Holy Crap!!! You're in Omaha??? Someone else form Omaha actually posts on here??

yep. there's a few of us here. i know ghostrider87 and lantern_fan are from here, or i guess i should say live here. i actually grew up in maine, though.

Seriously? Our country have an entire counter-culture of people wearing camoflauge in cities. This counter-culture has a mentality that it is a bad thing to be intellectual and good to be stupid. People from the north are talking with heavy southern accents. I know people in the south. I know not all southerners are pieces of white trash, so what I am asking is, how did this subculture become so prevelant?

I blame Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy.

And Matt, good to see your classic avatar.

I've been gone for almost a year, and I doubt you even remember me...MidKnight/Jack Rabbit(I had to re-register...)

yep. there's a few of us here. i know ghostrider87 and lantern_fan are from here, or i guess i should say live here. i actually grew up in maine, though.

Wow, I did too. What part of Maine? I resided in Brunswick. Went to Cheverus in Portland for high school.

Wow, I did too. What part of Maine? I resided in Brunswick. Went to Cheverus in Portland for high school.

i'm from a small mill town in central maine named winslow, right across the bridge from waterville. it's about 20 miles north of augusta. small world...

When guys like Larry the cable guy and all those other guys from that group became rich and started to get there own movies.

righttobarearms.jpg

Git'er Done!!!!!
UUUggggghhhhh I can't believe that guy keeps being pick into movies? and people are dumb enough to see it. His health inspector movie was the biggest piece of crap ever and thats putting it nice.:cmad:

Not only what has been said, but said persons are also stuck in a religious funk.

"I doun't speek to those weird lucking people with the blak haeur and the blak clouss becuz my preecha says they aint chrischun."

It's like I'm stuck in a horrible twilight zone where the Southest is stuck in a 30's mindset. I actually have old people get highly, highly upset, in my church, when a teen comes to church in jeans and an untucked polo.

"They need to respect tha Lorda!!"

Right! And Jesus welcomed hookers.

Someone, from up North, please tell me there is true intelligence and indivduality there.

I see the hick subculture to be no different than the "thug" subculture so prevalent in the black community today.
The glorification of ignorance, the odd clothing, the distinctive speech patterns. The insistence to carry firearms (although a 12 gauge and a "gack" are slightly different:cwink: )

All in all, I find that every people group I'm sure has some part of it that enjoys being laissez faire about life, and just wants to be able to embrace ignorance.

That being said, I'm from Georgia, my parents are from Georgia, half my family is from Alabama, and I plan on never living above the Mason-Dixon line. There is a distinct difference between "hick" and "Southerner"
My girlfriend has the sweetest southern accent you've ever heard, but she doesn't sound like a redneck.
I'm afraid the prevalence of Larry the Cable Guy (who I can't stand) has brought about a homogenization of the subcultures of the South, and spread this blight across the country.
I appreciate regional differences, quite strongly in fact, and in light of that, I want to let it be known that their is a difference between "Southerner" and "hick" as much as "Yankee" and "Northener"
or "Mets fan" and "Yankees fan"
They come from the same region and have similarities to the outside eye, but we find it insulting when you lump us together.

Oh, I couldn't agree more which is why I pointed out the difference in the original post. I have family in Georgia and spent summers there as a teenager and I really did meet some of the nicest, most welcoming, geniune people I have ever known. Its the idiotic hick subculture that bothers me, because it does give you guys a bad rap.

Not only what has been said, but said persons are also stuck in a religious funk.

"I doun't speek to those weird lucking people with the blak haeur and the blak clouss becuz my preecha says they aint chrischun."

It's like I'm stuck in a horrible twilight zone where the Southest is stuck in a 30's mindset. I actually have old people get highly, highly upset, in my church, when a teen comes to church in jeans and an untucked polo.

"They need to respect tha Lorda!!"

Right! And Jesus welcomed hookers.

Someone, from up North, please tell me there is true intelligence and indivduality there.

There is true intelligence down here. You just haven't found it yet. As for those old people, I guess they never took a look at some of the characters Jesus worked with. One of the disciples was once a christian executioner, for cying out loud.

There is true intelligence down here. You just haven't found it yet. As for those old people, I guess they never took a look at some of the characters Jesus worked with. One of the disciples was once a christian executioner, for cying out loud.

Maybe I was a little harsh with that last question.

Yes, I know there is intelligence in the South. However, the bible-belt twilight zone era needs to be updated, possibly even overdate... let's say 3019.

righttobarearms.jpg

Git'er Done!!!!!

What's truely sad about that is the out of the Blue Collar guys that are actually good comedians, the s**tiest one is the most popular.

He is literarly the one-joke man. It wasn't until I saw two of his stand-up bits back-to-back that I realized...he was giving the exact same jokes. THE EXACT SAME JOKES. I haven't listened to him since. Even if I decide to watch the Blue Collar Tour movies, I'll just skip his stuff.

As for the actual question of the thread, I have a theory: It became alright to be a hick when we elected a hick to be President. :o

Hicks, hillbillies, white trash, rednecks....I hate 'em all equally.

Hicks, hillbillies, white trash, rednecks....I hate 'em all equally.

I agree with you, Kmack. I have very little tolerance for these people or their mindset.

What's truely sad about that is the out of the Blue Collar guys that are actually good comedians, the s**tiest one is the most popular.

He is literarly the one-joke man. It wasn't until I saw two of his stand-up bits back-to-back that I realized...he was giving the exact same jokes. THE EXACT SAME JOKES. I haven't listened to him since. Even if I decide to watch the Blue Collar Tour movies, I'll just skip his stuff.

As for the actual question of the thread, I have a theory: It became alright to be a hick when we elected a hick to be President. :o

my jaw hit the floor when i saw the trailer for that "delta farce" movie in the theater a couple of weeks ago. i can't ****ing believe how ****ty that thing looks. the way it ends with him posing with a machine gun spouting his hackneyed catch phrase. the worst part was that a solid portion of the audience was laughing along with it and really seemed jazzed to see it. i realized then that i'm living in the movie "idiocracy".

Seriously? Our country have an entire counter-culture of people wearing camoflauge in cities. This counter-culture has a mentality that it is a bad thing to be intellectual and good to be stupid. People from the north are talking with heavy southern accents. I know people in the south. I know not all southerners are pieces of white trash, so what I am asking is, how did this subculture become so prevelant?

The decacy of American culture,i could imagine you would see it.

Idiocracy

The smart people plan out their future, only have a couple kids depending on the economy. Dumb hicks as well as mexicans, hmongs as well as others have as many kids as they can squeeze out

the hicks will outweigh the smart people

Oh no, Wal-Mart is coming to my hometown... and it's already infested with a lot of hicks/weirdos.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!11!! :csad:

Well I can't blame the hate for intellectuals... I mean in my major classes at college, there are kids that try to sound so sophisticated as if it gives them an edge over everyone else. Which then leads to the stereotype which is partly fueled by the rat race caused by the school grading system that if you're not smart, your inferiror. Which leads to the divide, your either one of them or your with us. It's the strongest thing George Bush had on his side, he isn't one of those smart guys, he's one of us, we can trust him, unlike those high-fallutin college people.

Don't really know anything about the hick thing, it hasn't hit RI at all to my knowledge... I mean I know people who like Larry the Cable Guy but they don't imitate him. Problem with Larry is he's a one trick pony, he uses the same joke, over and over again...

I prefer the South to the north. I live in Chicago now, and it suits me, but when I settle down I feel I'll end up in the South again. I never met more racists, bigoted people than when I moved up north. Granted there are those kind of people everywhere though, it's not regional. So many people bash the South though and it's irksome.

Maybe I was a little harsh with that last question.

Yes, I know there is intelligence in the South. However, the bible-belt twilight zone era needs to be updated, possibly even overdate... let's say 3019.

No hard feelings. :yay:

People like that actually work against what they should be doing, if that makes sense.

I live in Texas, and I was born and raised here. But I hate the lone star state with everything in my body, everyone acts like Texas is just an ally with the US or something. That’s true with most of the states in the south. Florida’s the worst when I comes to hickness over the civil war, it’s even funnier that Florida wasn’t in the civil war.

I prefer the South to the north. I live in Chicago now, and it suits me, but when I settle down I feel I'll end up in the South again. I never met more racists, bigoted people than when I moved up north. Granted there are those kind of people everywhere though, it's not regional. So many people bash the South though and it's irksome.

Well, it’s not the North that still has the KKK strong hold and all the Confederate flags. Though Ohio is full of Nazi’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"