When do you think time will actually effect the DCU?

King Ruler

Sidekick
Reaction score
Now, we all know the DCU has been around for quite some time now, since like the 30s I believe (with the introduction of Supeerman). And ever since, we've been getting new characters popping up and such. But had anyone noticed that time seems to change in the comics but the heroes stay young? I mean, at first I figured that Batman should be nearing 70 now, as well as other heroes, but then I remembered the number of universal reboots (COIE, Zero Hour, and now IC and OYL) and I'm guessing that everytime the DCU's history gets rebooted as well as the heroes, the time period in which they first appeared is changed to a more modern time.

Makes sense.

But what about years from now? I'm talking like 30-40 years from now or something. Time will def. be different here, but what about the comics? Will the comic time period be updated to match our own? Will it be kept the same? Will there continue to be more and more reboots that effect the heroes as well? Or will DC finally put some of these heroes to rest and introduce some new ones (like have Tim finally take the Batmantle, etc.)?

What do you think?

Eventually a lot of Golden Age characters will either have their timelines moved up, we'll see a return of the Multiverse, or they'll be eliminated entirely. I'd give it another 15 years maybe.

King Ruler said:
Now, we all know the DCU has been around for quite some time now, since like the 30s I believe (with the introduction of Supeerman). And ever since, we've been getting new characters popping up and such. But had anyone noticed that time seems to change in the comics but the heroes stay young? I mean, at first I figured that Batman should be nearing 70 now, as well as other heroes, but then I remembered the number of universal reboots (COIE, Zero Hour, and now IC and OYL) and I'm guessing that everytime the DCU's history gets rebooted as well as the heroes, the time period in which they first appeared is changed to a more modern time.

Makes sense.

But what about years from now? I'm talking like 30-40 years from now or something. Time will def. be different here, but what about the comics? Will the comic time period be updated to match our own? Will it be kept the same? Will there continue to be more and more reboots that effect the heroes as well? Or will DC finally put some of these heroes to rest and introduce some new ones (like have Tim finally take the Batmantle, etc.)?

What do you think?

Supeerman is my favourite character.

King Ruler said:

Makes sense.

What do you think?

Time has been effecting the DCU for years. Dick went from a 13 year old vigilante's aprentis to a college student to a police academy graduate. It happened very slowly, yes, but it happened. On average, way I see it, one year passes in the DCU for every five in the real world. More or less. That doesn't entirely apply for the JSAers, since their WWII exploits did happen in WWII.

The Question said:
Time has been effecting the DCU for years. Dick went from a 13 year old vigilante's aprentis to a college student to a police academy graduate. It happened very slowly, yes, but it happened. On average, way I see it, one year passes in the DCU for every five in the real world. More or less. That doesn't entirely apply for the JSAers, since their WWII exploits did happen in WWII.
Reading the timelines that they used to put in the Secret Files issues, I'd say it looked more like four real-world years to one DCU year.

I don't think they'll ever have to go to the solutions Anubis proposes. In 15 years, that's not more than 3-4 years DCU time. No reason the same old heroes can't still be around. Wouldn't want it any other way, personally.

Whatever, DC had its Golden Agers' situation worked out perfectly before. Alan could potentially live forever because of the Starheart energy, Jay was aging at like 1/50th the normal speed because of the Speed Force, and Wildcat was young because of his nine lives. Now Alan's so afraid of being less than human that he won't let the Starheart keep his body in perfect condition anymore, Jay's got no Speed Force to rely on anymore, and Wildcat's down to his last life. I'm looking forward to whatever explanations DC's creators come up with the next go-'round, whenever people start questioning the characters' ages too much again. :o

Why have time distance problems? They think stuff isn't relevant enough anymore? CRISIS!!! Then retrofit it to more modern stuff. Alan Scott will one day be a veteran of the Gulf War I tell's ya.

That'll suck. Alan Scott knows World War II, and the Gulf War, madame, is no World War II.

Time will never effect the characters too much. Just like Marvel or any other comic character. Unless it is an out of continuity "look into the future" type story...don't expect any permenant replacements for Bats, Supes, etc.

i asume in 20 years or so, if thier is a next crisis, i assume batman, superman and the other adults heroes will finally be replaced.

Batman is Bruce Wayne. Superman is Clark Kent. I don't see that changing.

Never,perhaps minor age.But never a true notice of age,the DC Universe has been around essentially since the late 1930`s.Batman,Superman,Wonder Woman should be dead really.That if you was to make time really there in the DCU.

RockSP said:
Batman is Bruce Wayne. Superman is Clark Kent. I don't see that changing.

Im sure that what the Flash fans about Barry allen, or the Green Lantern fans said about Hal Jordan. Or better yet the firestorm fans said about Ronnie Raymond, i can go on and on. Luckily Bats and supes have survived these transitions, but eventually maybe in 20 years, people will eventually careless about who behind the Batman mask, and who is supermans earth name. Things need to change, in order for characters to progress things need to change.

Eros said:
Im sure that what the Flash fans about Barry allen, or the Green Lantern fans said about Hal Jordan. Or better yet the firestorm fans said about Ronnie Raymond, i can go on and on. Luckily Bats and supes have survived these transitions, but eventually maybe in 20 years, people will eventually careless about who behind the Batman mask, and who is supermans earth name. Things need to change, in order for characters to progress things need to change.

Bit of a difference, Eros and you know it.

Eros said:
The difference is that "Flash = Barry Allen" hasn't been in the public consciousness for over half a century like "Batman = Bruce Wayne" or "Superman = Clark Kent" has. Most people don't even know the Flash ever had a name.

Also, anyone who says that Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern should be shot. :o

In a world when theres constantly universes being merged and destroyed, retcons will NEVER allow for mainstream Batman to become old. At least past mid 40s. Anyone other than Bruce Wayne in the main universe would just be suicide. It comes down to public knowledge. You can get away with things like Tim Drake is Robin, but Terry McGuiness as Batman? No one is going to accept that. Even fans of the tv show.

Way I see it, if DC has been around since the 30s and if it hasn't happened by now, I wouldn't count on it happening in the next 70 years. Frankly, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I wouldn't neccesarily hate it if they replaced Batman or Supes as long as it was handled right, but it doesn't bother me to know that they'll be Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent long after I die. It's kind of a nice thought in a way.

TheCorpulent1 said:
The difference is that "Flash = Barry Allen" hasn't been in the public consciousness for over half a century like "Batman = Bruce Wayne" or "Superman = Clark Kent" has. Most people don't even know the Flash ever had a name.

Also, anyone who says that Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern should be shot. :o

Im just trying to state a point, if comics books are still around in 30 to 40 years, I highly doubt people will care who is behind the batman mask, or what Superman earth identity is. Comics are not as nearly as popular as they were in the past, sales have been slipping for years.To say that batman or superman will never be replaced with successors is just silly, it has to happen eventually. Theirs only so many retread stories you can tell with the same characters in the role, a new charter with new motivations and personalty is not bad thing. How many times can batman and Joker have a "Final" confrontation in some rainy alley or rooftop? How many times must we explore the "physcological relationship" between Batman and Joker?Why must we see Joker evade capture[or escape from arkum] yet again? Bruce Wayne as a character has been explored to his limits, The dark Knight returns showed a possible end for him, and Batman year one showed his beginnings. comic fans never like change for some reason.

Eros said:
You display an astonishing lack of business sense. Superman and Batman are DC's cash cows. Flash and GL are sort of mainstream popular, but mostly just big names within the comic community.

DC won't risk their ability to use Bruce Wayne/Batman in movies and TV by changing him in the comics. Remember the time they tried to? It was stupid.

Officially, nine years had passed since COIE in the DCU at the time of Infinite Crisis. This was stated in Wonder Woman #226.

With OYL, that makes it ten years now in the DCU since COIE, which was about twenty years ago in our real world, yes?

So, barring any other unforseen Crises, we can more or less assume that DCU time moves about half as fast as real world time. Obviously this might not actually be the case, and writers are gonna do and write whatever they want, anyway.

I give it 10-15 years, untill they let some Golden guy's go, but change around timelines, or some other way of keeping Batman, Superman, Wonder Women, etc, alive and young.

BrianWilly said:
Officially, nine years had passed since COIE in the DCU at the time of Infinite Crisis. This was stated in Wonder Woman #226.

With OYL, that makes it ten years now in the DCU since COIE, which was about twenty years ago in our real world, yes?

So, barring any other unforseen Crises, we can more or less assume that DCU time moves about half as fast as real world time. Obviously this might not actually be the case, and writers are gonna do and write whatever they want, anyway.

That's what I've been assuming for quite sometime.

Unlike Marvel, which is afraid of its characters aging. It's nice to see DC have enough balls to at least have Batman as a man who is entering his 40's. And age the original Robin to a man in his mid-twenties.

Eros said:
Im just trying to state a point, if comics books are still around in 30 to 40 years, I highly doubt people will care who is behind the batman mask, or what Superman earth identity is. Comics are not as nearly as popular as they were in the past, sales have been slipping for years.To say that batman or superman will never be replaced with successors is just silly, it has to happen eventually. Theirs only so many retread stories you can tell with the same characters in the role, a new charter with new motivations and personalty is not bad thing. How many times can batman and Joker have a "Final" confrontation in some rainy alley or rooftop? How many times must we explore the "physcological relationship" between Batman and Joker?Why must we see Joker evade capture[or escape from arkum] yet again? Bruce Wayne as a character has been explored to his limits, The dark Knight returns showed a possible end for him, and Batman year one showed his beginnings. comic fans never like change for some reason.
First off, blanket statements are not your friends. You should disassociate with them as quickly as possible because they make you look dumb.

Second, you seem to be misconstruing my statement of a business-related fact for my personal attachment to the characters. I haven't been interested in Batman or Superman to any great extent for years. I'd be thrilled if Batman were offed in ten years and Tim Drake took over for him. I would've enjoyed seeing Conner carve his own path as the new Superman after Clark's retired or whatever, too. But the public consciousness views Batman as Bruce Wayne and Superman as Clark Kent. Imagine Smallville if it focused on Conner. Fans would wonder "Conner Kent? But I thought it was about a young Superman. Superman's Clark Kent. This show got it wrong." It's stupid, yes, but that's the way people view the characters.

As for there eventually being a lack of story material for Clark and Bruce, I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. They're constantly reinventing the characters, so they can have the identities intact but add new facets for modern writers to explore. Year One, DKR, Arkham Asylum, and just about every other story that's looked at Batman from a different angle has probably already been done to some extent in the comics themselves. In another generation's time, a new Frank Miller or Grant Morrison will come along to reinvent Batman in some way that makes perfect sense to that generation. You'll notice that they're just retreading the same stories, but the majority of younger comic readers won't. I only really got into Batman after I'd read Year One because I thought it was a cool, fittingly dark take on the character. I didn't learn until years later that Batman started out a much darker character and evolved into the more wholesome superhero of the late '70s and early '80s via stuff like the '50s Sprang stories and the TV series. It'll be the same for the next generation of readers.

So, really, I don't see a problem with Clark or Bruce continuing as Superman and Batman indefinitely. They'll have the changes that progress requires, but they'll still maintain the core that's accessible to all audiences, just like they've done for the past 70 years.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That'll suck. Alan Scott knows World War II, and the Gulf War, madame, is no World War II.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying that's the way around it.

Jourmugand said:
Never,perhaps minor age.But never a true notice of age,the DC Universe has been around essentially since the late 1930`s.Batman,Superman,Wonder Woman should be dead really.That if you was to make time really there in the DCU.

They've explained it already.

The Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman of the 1930's were the Earth-2 counterparts. Earth-2 Batman was killed about 30 years ago. Earth-2 Superman and Earth-2 Wonder Woman were killed in Infinite Crisis.

As for the post-Crisis Golden Age they are explaining it also.

Hippolyta, the Wonder Woman of the Golden Age, was somewhat immortal. She really didn't age because she was an Amazon. It took Imperiex to kill her.

Jay Garrick, the Flash of the Golden Age, had decelerated aging due to the Speed Force, now that it is gone, he should be aging like a normal human.

Alan Scott, the Green Lantern of the Golden Age, has had his aging decelerated by the Starheart of his ring. However he is starting to appear closer to his true age and is aging normally now.

Ted Grant, the Wildcat of the Golden Age had nine lives, he's on his last one.

I think that sooner or later we'll start seeing the remaining Golden Age heroes dying off. Not due to battle, but from natural causes.

Also DC has been aging their other characters.

Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and others were first introduced as people in their mid-twenties. Now they are entering their 40's or have already reached that age (particularly Green Arrow). Some Silver Age heroes are parents (Batman, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Barry Allen) and some are grandparents (Aquaman and Barry Allen)!

Sidekicks such as Dick Grayson (27 now), Roy Harper, Donna Troy (26), Garth, and Wally West are now in thier mid-twenties. Some of them have even started families (Roy Harper, Wally West, Garth, and Donna Troy)!

Bart Allen is now 21!

DC may age their characters slowly, but they aren't afraid of aging them like Marvel is (especially with Spider-Man and Captain America)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"