When its all said and done

Reaction score
Where will SV be in the history of Superman when it is all said and done. What place will it have or will it be forgotten like Superboy? When I say where will it be in mean in the comics and all for example:

Superman Radio show place in the comics is it gave him alot of his powers todate and kryptonite and Jimmy

Superman 40's cartoon gives the power to fly.

Lois and Clark - marked its place by having the two get married

The movies marked its place with the FOS the crystals and pretty much is now the base of how Superman should be. As well as Lois and Clark are now suppose to have a child.

S:TAS we have Livewire and the new Supergirl t-shirt one and a few other stuff.

So my question is what mark will SV leave? They left Birthright if you want to look at it that way but even that is being thrown out. So I am just wondering what will there mark be in the Superman myth. when it is all said and done? What will they be remembered for 5 years down the line or what long lasting thing will they leave later down the line. Just wondering what you guys think.

September 4th, 1957. After a massive promotional campaign, which included multi-page teaser ads in major national magazines, some 2.5 million Americans poured into Ford dealerships to see their latest model car being unveiled on "E-Day." It was a radical new design with all the latest bells and whistles. Surely the public would love it. But after three model years and just 110,847 cars later, the Ford Motor Company threw in the towel. Today, the name "Edsel" is synonymous with "failure."

Whoda thunk?

April 1st, 1976. Two college dropouts screw a bunch of microprocessors on a plank of plywood and ask the public to invest in their product. Most laugh and tell them to look for a better day job. Of course, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak had bigger plans for what would eventually become a distinctively fruity computer idea...

Whoda thunk?

Moral of the story? Nobody can predict how SV will be remembered five, ten, or twenty years from now. It's fruitless to even try.

They have already mentioned in interviews that multi-colored Kryptonite was re-introduced due in part to Smallville.:)

Well Pat although those stories have nothing to do with what I have asked. I am just wondring. Because I really would like to know how big of an impact you guys think SV has made. Put it this way by times end you already knew where Lois and Clark stood because they married off Superman. You already know where the movies stood before hand, Superboy had its chance because it was suppose to be a restart that was suppose to be made into a movie but wasn't. I am just wondering where do you think we'll see SV because I frankly think that SV might end up in the same boat as Superboy because it is IMO not making the impact it had 2 year before.

Brainiac 8 said:
They have already mentioned in interviews that multi-colored Kryptonite was re-introduced due in part to Smallville.:)
And it was taken away. Remember that as well. All things dealing with the show is being cleaned up.

Tony_Montana said:
And it was taken away. Remember that as well. All things dealing with the show is being cleaned up.

Not really, the multi-colored Kryptonite came down with Kara and her ship.

So far, and it hasn't been rewritten, they have re-introduced Red/Black/Blue Kryptonite. Bizarro just used the Blue in the new issue of Superman/Batman.

Who knows SV's mark may even be meteor freaks its just to early to call.

Brainiac 8 said:
Not really, the multi-colored Kryptonite came down with Kara and her ship.

So far, and it hasn't been rewritten, they have re-introduced Red/Black/Blue Kryptonite. Bizarro just used the Blue in the new issue of Superman/Batman.
Blue has been there before SV. Black has been cleaned up and Red has been there as well before hand just never used.

I love the lionel character. Lex is a bad apple because of his dad. That was touched on in STM,but now we're seeing it in play and I love it.

Chloe is a great character for supes. She's alfred to batman, bucky to Cap, Dee dee to dexter. I like that someone besides his parents knows he has super powers. It makes him less of a lone ranger and gives him someone closeby to confide in if he needs help. I hope two things for them:

They stay best friends forever, but do consider a relationship for a while...

Chloe isn't killed in one of those "anyone who knows he's superman suddenly gets killed, cop-outs"

Wesyeed said:
I love the lionel character. Lex is a bad apple because of his dad. That was touched on in STM,but now we're seeing it in play and I love it.

Chloe is a great character for supes. She's alfred to batman, bucky to Cap, Dee dee to dexter. I like that someone besides his parents knows he has super powers. It makes him less of a lone ranger and gives him someone closeby to confide in if he needs help. I hope two things for them:

They stay best friends forever, but do consider a relationship for a while...

Chloe isn't killed in one of those "anyone who knows he's superman suddenly gets killed, cop-outs"
Oooooookkkkkkkkkkk now please tell me what this means to the topic?:confused::confused::confused:

Tony_Montana said:
Well Pat although those stories have nothing to do with what I have asked.
It's an analogy meant to show how you CANT predict something like the impact of a product on the minds of consumers in retrospect.

I am just wondering.
You wonder a lot. Just an observation. ;)

Because I really would like to know how big of an impact you guys think SV has made.
Wait, now you're using the past tense. *Has* made or *will* make? If you're talking about what it's done up to this point, there's dozens of industry articles on the subject.

Put it this way by times end you already knew where Lois and Clark stood because they married off Superman. You already know where the movies stood before hand, Superboy had its chance because it was suppose to be a restart that was suppose to be made into a movie but wasn't. I am just wondering where do you think we'll see SV because I frankly think that SV might end up in the same boat as Superboy because it is IMO not making the impact it had 2 year before.
Equating the impact that SV has already had on fans as well as how much coin it's made for Warners, with the relative blip that Superboy registered on the Superman franchise, is just ridiculous.

I'm not getting sucked into this debate, yet again. It's pointless.

SV is the longest running Superman series ever, it doesn't need to make any impact on the comics, they're just.. comics, LOL.

Not many people care about Lois & Clark or Superboy today, they are forgotten. The movies are all about Reeve.

Ask again in a few years time, the series it still on.

Smallvilles biggest impact to date, irnoically enough, is it showed WB that Superman is still a marketable commodity and helped give them the push they needed to get the Superman film out of development hell, and entrust it to someone who's allegedley capable of doing the character service.

As for it's impact on the overall legend? Who can answer that now? The show hasnt even finished running it's course. The Lois and Clark wedding didnt cross over until after L&C's run, so who knows? Maybe Clark coming to Earth in a meteor shower (perhaps a minor one, with no K meteors, to mask his arrival), Lionel Luthor, Indian caves and prophecies, the younger Kents, etc. It could be a number of things.

The Incredible Hulk said:
Smallvilles biggest impact to date, irnoically enough, is it showed WB that Superman is still a marketable commodity and helped give them the push they needed to get the Superman film out of development hell, and entrust it to someone who's allegedley capable of doing the character service.

As for it's impact on the overall legend? Who can answer that now? The show hasnt even finished running it's course. The Lois and Clark wedding didnt cross over until after L&C's run, so who knows? Maybe Clark coming to Earth in a meteor shower (perhaps a minor one, with no K meteors, to mask his arrival), Lionel Luthor, Indian caves and prophecies, the younger Kents, etc. It could be a number of things.

Wrong forum for this, but lets just say I disagree on this part......But I think Smallville has it's legacy in the Superman mythos intact for a long time.

Pickle-El said:
Wrong forum for this, but lets just say I disagree on this part......
I want a nickel for every time I have to drag this article over from Variety:

Daily Variety said:
Jan. 25, 2006

WB synergy in full force
Welling, quality of show aids 'Smallville's' success
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

More powerful than your average series. Able to leap from comicbook to studio to network to homevideo at a single bound. Look! On the air! It's "Friends." It's "ER." No, it's "Smallville."

The hit WB series, experiencing a creative and rating renaissance in its fifth season, represents one of those diamonds in the rough for conglom Time Warner: A show that reaches across the company as a perfect example of synergy.

Warner Bros.' DC Comics owns the rights to the Superman character; Warner Bros. TV produces "Smallville," a teenage take on the titan in tights; the WB airs the show (seen via affils on Time Warner cable systems in many parts of the country); Warner Bros.' distribution units sell the show internationally and into domestic syndication; Warner Home Video releases the "Smallville" DVD; the cycle starts again.

The synergy once even hit Warner Music, which released a "Smallville" CD back when it was still owned by Time Warner.

"The ideal property to exploit for our studio is a franchise property like 'Smallville,' " says Warner Bros. TV Group topper Bruce Rosenblum. "This takes advantage of our DC Comics division, our distribution strength via the WB, our top-supplier studio Warner Bros. TV and our homevideo operations, all working in concert together."

Now, the success of "Smallville" has even helped bring a theatrical movie to fruition. Bryan Singer is directing "Superman Returns," starring Brandon Routh as the latest Clark Kent.

It's easy to underestimate how "Smallville" helped jumpstart an entire franchise. But prior to Tom Welling taking over as Clark Kent, the Superman character had been limping along for several years.

The last major Superman TV show, "Lois & Clark," suffered dismal ratings toward the end of its run. And Superman hadn't had a movie presence in years.

The WB first got an inkling that Superman was still cool in 1997, when the net started airing an animated series (with Tim Daly voicing the main character) starring the Man of Steel -- from Warner Bros. Animation, of course. Still, there was no guarantee that "Smallville" would work, no matter how much corporate synergy there was.

"Much like the magic of finding the right cast for 'Friends' or 'ER,' these very successful franchises come along only every so often," Rosenblum says. "A network timeslot alone doesn't guarantee success. And creative auspices alone don't guarantee success."

But in this case, the stars did align. WB Entertainment president David Janollari says several factors led to the show's success, including Welling, and the "fresh take on Superman's teenage years and the consistent quality of the show." And, of course, "the cohesive way divisions like DC, Warner Bros. TV, the WB and the producers have worked closely together to produce a hundred different episodes that remain true to the character's inherent tone and mythology," he says.

http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117936821&c=2109

It was a myriad of things....one of which, was the success of Smallville. It wasn't THE reason, just another like Hulk posted. It definately was a 'push' in the right direction though.

Wow Pat, it's like the dukes are already up....you have any more articles on stand-by waiting for the green light? ;)

Pickle-El said:
It was a myriad of things....one of which, was the success of Smallville. It wasn't THE reason, just another like Hulk posted. It definately was a 'push' in the right direction though.
Hulk didn't say it was the only reason.

Wow Pat, it's like the dukes are already up....you have any more articles on stand-by waiting for the green light? ;)
I have a good memory when I'm focused, and with SV, I'm usually focused! That said, I do have my moments of air-headedness. Albeit few and far between, but it happens. :p

AgentPat said:
Hulk didn't say it was the only reason.

I have a good memory when I'm focused, and with SV, I'm usually focused! That said, I do have my moments of air-headedness. Albeit few and far between, but it happens. :p

The quote was something like 'it was a major reason it was entrusted to someone who WB thought would allegedly serve the other property justice'.....yes and no.

A lucky weekend in Hawaii did that...it was just that luck. Otherwise, we'd have Charlies Biggest Angel still blockading things like the FOS on Smallville.

Anyway, before this gets ridiculously off-topic :O ....Smallville will definately have it's legacy intact. That shouldn't even be a question. I'd say higher than Lois And Clark even. (Even though more people saw that garbage)

Different take on a character, different times, and MUCH more memorable for Superman fans when the show is done right.

With that article the debate could go another way but I am not going to go that route, because SR is already rumored to have its place in the comics and proably will be more remembere then SV but enough of that talk. I want to know where people see SV place when its all said and done.

Nobody cares about the comics in here Tony, go elsewhere with them. Didn't you say you weren't gonna bring up the movie again? SR more remembered? TO WHO? LOL.

KalKai said:
Nobody cares about the comics in here Tony, go elsewhere with them. Didn't you say you weren't gonna bring up the movie again? SR more remembered? TO WHO? LOL.
I didn't bring it up she was making a point that SV is the reason for the movie and she is right about that but we already know the rumors of the impact it may have. That is what I was trying to say. Now I want to know what impact will SV. Though that does bring up a good point as Hulk said I think the impact SV will be remembered for is that it gave birth to Superman for a whole new gen. if nothing else.

Thread number 1,256 that has turned into an argument over SV and the movie.

Can we have one thread without this discussion?:rolleyes:

Its not about the movie. I am saying I think SV place in Superman is that it gave new life into the hero. Now its place in history as far as story and actors and all I dont know but I think it will be remembered as the show that gave new life to Superman.

Tony_Montana said:
Its not about the movie. I am saying I think SV place in Superman is that it gave new life into the hero. Now its place in history as far as story and actors and all I dont know but I think it will be remembered as the show that gave new life to Superman.

On that note Tony, I agree. I think Smallville helped bring Superman, in all media back into the spotlight. I think the subsequent Supes DVDs, memerabilia, all those things owe alot to Smallville re-energizing the franchise.

Tony_Montana said:
Oooooookkkkkkkkkkk now please tell me what this means to the topic?:confused::confused::confused:

wtf. I'm saying those elements would be remembered most as a fine addition to the mythos.:confused: I think that's what your topics about...
correct me if wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"