The Winter Soldier Where was SHIELD Agent Clint Barton?

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Clint Barton is a SHIELD Agent right? [BLACKOUT]So when SHIELD is at war with Hydra who was secretly working inside SHIELD, then what happened to him?[/BLACKOUT] Wouldn't he be there helping? Even if they had mentioned he was off in Europe or something, [BLACKOUT]or if Fury said I am going to Europe, meeting Agent Barton who is already there, but they didn't.[/BLACKOUT] But Black Widow was wearing an Arrow necklace.
S.H.I.E.L.D._personell_files.jpg

SHIELD is a global organisation, stands to reason they'd trust him to do something elsewhere.
[blackout]As AoS revealed, the HYDRA takeover was worldwide[/blackout]

Late in the film there are two agents/techs talking (who is Abed) about (I think about parking spaces) and someone stationed in Afghanistan the last couple of months. I assumed that Hawkeye.

Fury didn't even contact Natasha when he went under - just Hill and he loves Nat like a daughter according to SLJ. Why would he trust Barton more? This entire scenario went down in less than a week. All known contacts were being monitored by Hydra/Shield (the agency that's spying on everyone's communications) including Tony Stark. No one made an calls to anyone for help except Fury to Hill and neither of them later contacted Steve or Natasha by phone or message. Hill made physical contact during the rescue.

Last edited:
I just meant towards the end of the film. When Steve talks over the intercom and all is revealed and Hydra comes out of hiding. (and according to Agents of SHIELD show all Hydra agents get a text saying all sleeper agents are activated).
So while all of SHIELD is either under attack or attacking I just thought Hawkeye could have had a cameo (like how Captain America had a small cameo in Thor 2). Or at least mentioned. I understand he could be the one in Afghanistan, but it would have been nice if they had said Agent Barton has been in Afghanistan for months. Just to eliminate any questions like mine. A simple Agent Barton is here. [BLACKOUT]Even at the end Fury could have said I am meeting Agent Barton in Europe. [/BLACKOUT]He has been stationed there. Natasha, you want to join us?
Or maybe even had his voice over in a transmission from Afghanistan:
"This is Agent Hawkeye, we are under attack by our own guys! I repeat we are under attack by SHIELD agents! What the hell is going on?"
vlcsnap-2012-09-25-18h45m54s117.png

Its a very minor thing. I LOVED this movie, just that thought would have been cool.

Cap didn't get a cameo in Thor. Chris Evans did. It was a joke, placed in a scene of low-medium drama.

Hawkeye getting involved in the climax would have been a distraction, probably.

Whedon already said that Clint is a major character in AoU, so whatever he's doing could have huge ramifications for AoU that they only feel like visiting when the time comes.

Cap didn't get a cameo in Thor. Chris Evans did. It was a joke, placed in a scene of low-medium drama.

Hawkeye getting involved in the climax would have been a distraction, probably.

Whedon already said that Clint is a major character in AoU, so whatever he's doing could have huge ramifications for AoU that they only feel like visiting when the time comes.

A mention of Hawkeye would have been awesome. I'm guessing that the reason they didn't include such a line is that the story writers still haven't decided 100% on the specific details of Hawkeye's whereabouts leading up to AoU, so we won't find out till next year.

But it's interesting to think of Hawkeye fighting off SHIELD traitors, since he was sort of a SHIELD traitor himself. How ironic would it be if some of the SHIELD guys he killed back in The Avengers were actually HYDRA?

It was a fun scene, but I feel like it was a waste of a cameo that could have been used in a future movie for story purposes. But maybe everyone's schedules just lined up that time and they decided to have some fun, so whatever.

If I recall correctly, the Russo Bros did say that the original script had a line about where Hawkeye was, but it pulled focus and would just lead to "hey, where IS that guy?" so they cut it.

It was a fun scene, but I feel like it was a waste of a cameo that could have been used in a future movie for story purposes. But maybe everyone's schedules just lined up that time and they decided to have some fun, so whatever.

A great moment and not a waste at all since Evans did it as a favor and because he and Hemsworth had joked about being in each others next movies. It didn't count toward his 6 film contract like RDJ or SLJ's cameo.

It was also very easy to arrange since TDW did those scenes while Evans was doing TWS - I think even in the same Disney studio. Evans said Feige called him up the day before, he got his lines and showed up.

Where was SHIELD Agent Clint Barton? Probably the same place as SHIELD Scientist Eric Svelwig - no longer existing.

Now where was recovering-from-getting-mind-blasted Clint Barton? Probably not in a mental hospital, but, you never know.

I was thinking about it as well. He did not need to be in the movie in person but it would have been nice to get some kind of mention of him, from Natasha perhaps, seeing as they seem very tight.
It's a minor thing though and if it's explained in AOU it's all good.

Right, don't get me wrong. I LOVED the Winter Soldier movie. It was the best Marvel movie to date. And I am not complaining at all, just saying it would have been a extra bit that would have made me giddy. Great film without it, would have just been nice is all.
I agree him in the film would have distracted, but a mention or a cameo of his voice over a transmission intercepted by Danny Pudi's character would have been fun.
slightly garbled, "This is Agent Clint Barton, we are under attack by our own men! Repeat SHIELD Agents are attacking SHIELD! Is anyone getting this!?........" transmission cut. Something simple like that, no mention where he is, just with other SHIELD agents. Sounds of war, bombs, shooting, arrows, in the background, and his voice in distress and tired like he had been working out. That would have been cool. Brings up the idea that elsewhere around the world Hydra was attacking SHIELD.
Jeremy+Renner+The+Hurt+Locker.PNG

Again, just saying it would have been fun.

Just from Bart and Widow's conversations in Avengers it sounds like they do a lot of globe trotting for missions.

I really have no problem with them not mentioning Hawkeye since I just figure he's in deep cover and can't really help them in the short time that TWS takes place in.

Clint has been in the bathroom since eating the shwarma scene. apparently the Hawk has a sensitive stomach.

Can anyone post a picture of BW with the arrow necklace?, I didn't catch that in the movie, and I've seen it 3 time :)

I do think they run into this problem a lot with these movies set in one universe. Like, where was Captain America and the rest of SHIELD when the President got kidnapped in Iron Man 3?

At least Iron Man had an excuse for not being in this film.

I do think they run into this problem a lot with these movies set in one universe. Like, where was Captain America and the rest of SHIELD when the President got kidnapped in Iron Man 3?

The way they explained it was that the US government saw this as a matter for them to deal with, not SHIELD. Basically, they told SHIELD to mind your own business.

SHIELD is run by HYDRA. HYDRA would want the President removed. Explained :)

Kevin F. Did say TWS would explain where shield was during IM3....

precisely

that still doesn't account for where they are during Thor, but we'll just assume the earth portion of that movie didn't take long at all, so by time they were alerted about Greenwich, Thor had already won

The entire event in London supposedly took about 12 minutes. SHIELD had enough time to show up for clean-up duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"