Which Character Had the Best Ending?

Tyrion was a horrible Hand, sucked at his job, committed war crimes, killed his lover, and committed treason and he still got a say in who the new king would be AND got the job of Hand (again). He had the best ending.

They tried to frame it as atonement for his past failures and that he didn't actually want the job, but I didn't really believe it. He seemed pretty damn happy in his last scene doing what he loves and hanging out with his buddy Bronn all day.

They tried to frame it as atonement for his past failures and that he didn't actually want the job, but I didn't really believe it. He seemed pretty damn happy in his last scene doing what he loves and hanging out with his buddy Bronn all day.

He hasn't really been a total failure as hand though, that's been exaggerated. Without him King's Landing would have fared much worse during the Battle of Blackwater (and Stannis would have had a chance to win), he was the only one that managed to actually do something about Littlefinger's schemes, and he did a generally good job until Tywin came back. His worst time as hand is pretty much when he's written by the showrunners without guidance by the books.

1. Sansa - THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH

2. Arya - Christopher Columbus except more pirate-y and hopefully less murder-y.

3. Jon Snow - It's where he wanted to be anyway and with the snow melting, he's going to have a jolly good time.

4. Brienne of Tarth - She is finally a Kingsguard and can close the book, literally, on Jaime and move on with her life. She doesn't need a man to define her.

5. Daenerys Targaryen - It was a tragic ending, but one that is not authentic to who the character was. As much as fans bemoan that SHE'D NEVER DO THAT, we all that she was capable way back in season 3. Honestly, the show spent too much time emphasizing she wouldn't be a bloodthirsty conqueror in Season 7 that people believed it. It's a bitter end, but a sweet one too where she didn't even realize she was a tyrant till the very end.

6. Tyrion Lannister - Whether he deserved to be Hand of the King or not, he is in his element as an administrator instead of a war tactician, and he finally seems somewhat happy.

7. Jorah Mormont - Died protecting his queen. Brownie points in that he didn't see what she became.

8. Bronn of the Blackwater - His debts were paid in full and he has an absolutely **** eating grin.

9. Theon Greyjoy - He died earning redemption in the eyes of the (living) person he most wronged. I don't know if he was a good man, but he found a good end for his rotten life.

10. The Hound - Cleganebowl was going to disappoint him, he knew, when he went up those stairs. Yet he walked up them anyway and took his bitter victory/death like a champ.

11. Grey Worm - I don't know if redemption is possible, but he can find peace in Naath. And he got out of Westeros in time before those white bastards dragged him into another war.

Last edited:
Edit: nevermind I thought you were talking about Brienne. Cersei deserved worse.

I was talking about Brienne and her last scene writing Jaime's story.

Cersei also deserved a better ending. That one felt flat. She was a huge character and deserved to go out with a bang.

I was talking about Brienne and her last scene writing Jaime's story.

Cersei also deserved a better ending. That one felt flat. She was a huge character and deserved to go out with a bang.

I'm going to disagree with that. After all that she did she deserved to go out a crying, sniveling, emotional wreck as her schemes (literally) came down all around her. Not some blaze of glory thing. She got exactly what she deserved.

Reactions: Bim
I'm going to disagree with that. After all that she did she deserved to go out a crying, sniveling, emotional wreck as her schemes (literally) came down all around her. Not some blaze of glory thing. She got exactly what she deserved.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about having a powerful, strong ending, and that one felt flat to me. It's not about what happens to her or not, if she dies or not, gets the Iron Throne or not. It's simply about having a good, strong ending. And in my eyes she didn't.

Cersei was one of the biggest characters of the show, and she did deserve a better ending. She did deserve to go out with a bang. Lena Headey deserved a better material to work with.

But that's my opinion.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about having a powerful, strong ending, and that one felt flat to me. It's not about what happens to her or not, if she dies or not, gets the Iron Throne or not. It's simply about having a good, strong ending. And in my eyes she didn't.

Cersei was one of the biggest characters of the show, and she did deserve a better ending. She did deserve to go out with a bang. Lena Headey deserved a better material to work with.

But that's my opinion.

I'll agree Lena Headey had almost nothing to do in season 8. The writers disserviced her by only letting her play off a cartoon character (Euron). If they hadn't been in such a hurry, an extra episode would've allowed her to maybe have a great scene with Missandei to discuss her and Daenerys' legacy and how she sees the world vs. Dany. Alas.

Her death is fine. I get the complaints it isn't cinematic and maybe it could've been in the map room or throne room, but at the end of the day I liked that the Red Keep literally fell in on her head while she was reduced to tears. Reality caught up with her delusions, and the whole thing about her saying "power is power" was met with what Varys said in the same season: "It's a trick, an illusion, a shadow on the wall." The spell was broken and she got crushed by her own warped privilege.

Cersei was a character that was never as powerful as she thought she was. She was almost always in a bad position and overmatched by her enemies and survived so long largely because they had bigger problems to deal with (such as the White Walkers). When push came to shove, she folded like a cheap tent, no matter the image she tried to project. She was a paper tiger. She never had a chance of coming out on top and went out like the chump she was.

A scene like DACrowe suggests would have been good though.

Cersei was a character that was never as powerful as she thought she was. She was almost always in a bad position and overmatched by her enemies and survived so long largely because they had bigger problems to deal with (such as the White Walkers). When push came to shove, she folded like a cheap tent, no matter the image she tried to project. She was a paper tiger. She never had a chance of coming out on top and went out like the chump she was.

A scene like DACrowe suggests would have been good though.

I wouldn't say never. She certainly had real power when she destroyed all her rivals at King's Landing when she blew up the Sept of Baelor, and afterwards she easily took out the other most powerful house completely by sacking Highgarden (even though it makes little sense that Highgarden wouldn't be able to withhold a siege for at least months, if not years). At that point she seemed powerful enough that you needed Daenerys' army to do anything to her. I don't see the North, the Vale or Dorne taking King's Landing without Dany. Especially not after Cersei secured the support of the Iron Bank of Braavos.

If the scorpions hadn't been nerfed into oblivion between episodes 4 and 5 she might have won.

Lord Bronn. He got everything he ever wanted and more. Nice to see him finally getting his reward after being screwed out of his proper compensation for years by the Lannisters.
This is the problem; they make such an arse of the main arcs that people are saying Bronn, entertaining sideshow at best, had the best ending.

Of the characters that this show was actually built around, I guess Sansa got the best ending; her politicking and manipulation led to her getting exactly what she wanted.

Jon ending up in the North, where he always wanted to be, would have been a close runner up had they not made him look utterly pathetic in the series finale; still wondering had he done the right thing having taken the monumental decision to murder his Queen, kin and lover.

I liked that the Red Keep literally fell in on her head while she was reduced to tears.

Yeah, I also like the idea of the Red Keep falling in on her head. And, as controversial as that was, I also liked Jaime coming back for her, since I don't see him leaving her behind to die when they had so much history together. It felt in character for him.

But anyway, my point is not about what happened. It's just that it felt flat for me and it wasn't as powerful and strong as both the character and the actress deserved.

This is the problem; they make such an arse of the main arcs that people are saying Bronn, entertaining sideshow at best, had the best ending.

Of the characters that this show was actually built around, I guess Sansa got the best ending; her politicking and manipulation led to her getting exactly what she wanted.

Jon ending up in the North, where he always wanted to be, would have been a close runner up had they not made him look utterly pathetic in the series finale; still wondering had he done the right thing having taken the monumental decision to murder his Queen, kin and lover.
Sansa’s ending I liked, yeah.

Hot Pie

No surprise the show was at its peak when he was in it, then hits you with a cameo in season 7 to remind you of the good times, boom. Basically turns Arya into the main character she becomes, without him the White Walkers win.

So yeah Hot Pie by farrrrr.

I liked Arya's ending a lot.
I just didn't want her to die.

Reactions: Bim
I voted for Sansa, just because her arc is amazing: she started a bratty "little dove" not wanting anything other than marrying a king and having his babies to serving and protecting the North and getting crowed Queen. She went through hell and back to get to where she ended up too, so i have massive respect for her. I think she would have made Ned proud after surprising him lol.

Best death: Lyanna Mormont - She was a badass and died like a badass

Best ending: Tyrion

Euron. He died as he lived; a troll who seemed to enjoy watching the series degrade around him.

Yeah, I also like the idea of the Red Keep falling in on her head. And, as controversial as that was, I also liked Jaime coming back for her, since I don't see him leaving her behind to die when they had so much history together. It felt in character for him.

But anyway, my point is not about what happened. It's just that it felt flat for me and it wasn't as powerful and strong as both the character and the actress deserved.

Jaime’s whole arc, for the entire show, has revolved around his obsession with Cersei, and his need to get away from her if he’s going to be an honorable man… which he wants to be. Jaime does care about the oaths he keeps and the allies he honors. But not with Cersei. She outweighs everything for him. So for Jaime to overcome his obstacle and become a hero, he needed to leave Cersei.

Which he couldn’t do. Jaime is not a hero, now. He’s just a sniveling coward, too spineless to do the right thing, in basically any circumstances. No use following or paying attention to him at all. He ended exactly where he began.

I hate Jaime's ending so much.

I actually liked King Bran. My only complaint was how D&D took his personality away.

In truth, it would be easier to list those characters whose endings I found disappointing.

amen

He hasn't really been a total failure as hand though, that's been exaggerated. Without him King's Landing would have fared much worse during the Battle of Blackwater (and Stannis would have had a chance to win), he was the only one that managed to actually do something about Littlefinger's schemes, and he did a generally good job until Tywin came back. His worst time as hand is pretty much when he's written by the showrunners without guidance by the books.

Pretty much. Tyrion, like so many others, became a failure when the writing was purely on D&D

I think she would have made Ned proud after surprising him lol.

Yes, I'm sure he would be proud of Cersei-lite who broke a promise in front of a weirwood tree...

Euron. He died as he lived; a troll who seemed to enjoy watching the series degrade around him.

very true.

he was the man who killed...i mean mortally wounded Jamie Lannister XD

He literally breaks the fourth wall and laughs at the audience in his last scene. Masterclass trolling right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"