Days of Future Past Which is better: X2 or First Class?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
X2 is generally considered the best X-men movie.

Does First Class top it?

X2 I'd say. Still love that film. Just a shame Cyclops couldnt have had a larger role than just being a puppet.

So many characters had a chance, not just to shine, but to be completely badass.
Nightcrawlers opening, Wolverines fight in the mansion, Magnetos escape from the prison. All these moments were EPIC and though I love FC, even its best action scenes didnt touch on them.

I won't vote yet because really it's still up in the air for me.

X2 I'd say. Still love that film. Just a shame Cyclops couldnt have had a larger role than just being a puppet.

So many characters had a chance, not just to shine, but to be completely badass.
Nightcrawlers opening, Wolverines fight in the mansion, Magnetos escape from the prison. All these moments were EPIC and though I love FC, even its best action scenes didnt touch on them.

The 'formula' Bryan used for X2 (and X1 also) is different from Vaughn's approach.

Singer interspersed his films with long, focused action scenes that put the spotlight on one character and their abilities, which is why such scenes are memorable for fans I guess.

I watched X2 the other night and some parts now look dated, but it's still very well paced and constructed.

It's hard for me to choose, and for me to rank the X-films, because each has something to offer....

I like First Class a lot... but I'll have to go for X2 as a better piece of cinema

X2 is just better directed. It also has better supporting characters. Although I'll give First Class a better and cooler Prof X and Magneto, which I did not expect at all.

First Class: 7/10
X2: 8/10

X2 and as antonydelfini said, it's just a better directed film. In Vaughn's defense, he didn't really have time but X2 action sequences are more focused and more accessible than Vaughn's, even though Vaughn's got some stunners in his film. At the end of the day, not one action sequence matches Nightcrawler's havoc at the White House.

But, First Class is not that far behind X2. I mean, different choices in a couple of spots and tighter continuity and it would've surpassed X2.

Still, under the time frame Vaughn and company had, it's a down right miracle this film works as well as it does and it REALLY works.

So fanboys don't really like this as much as the critics?

Is it safe to assume this won't have the good legs which fox is hoping for?

Also, the midnight numbers are slightly lower than Thor which is NOT good because this is an established franchise. It seems the X Men fanbase has been polarized after X3 and Wolverine.There are people who will refuse to see any more Fox made X Men films.

All I have to say is don't complain if fox goes back to its old ways of making bad comic book movies.

As I said in my review, this movie was too hamstrung by trying to fit in with the others instead of being the true reboot that it wanted to be. The other problem is that the ending in First Class just isn't quite up to snuff as X2 was. Things were a bit too rushed in First Class.

However for someone that would say FC is better, I can certainly understand the reasoning. There's alot of good there, and whatever flaws it has, there certainly were flaws in X2.

The good thing is both are light years better than X3 and Wolverine.

As much as I liked FC, X2 is a tad bit better with its pacing.

I will be brutally honest and say that althought there were some great action numbers in this movie, none compare to the feeling and the intensity that I felt of Nightcrawler's attack in X2 or even the Mansion invasion sequence. There were some scenes that came very very close, though.

When I walked out of the theater, I had a somewhat mixed feeling about the movie, I felt that it was good, but it might take some time for me to compare it to X2 head-on, as I've had nearly 8 years of memory and span of time enjoying X2 for what it is today.

If I was at gun point and had to make a decision, I'll say that X2 is a solid A- movie and XMFC is a strong B+. That of course might change over the next few weeks...

X2 has always been the most overrated CBM ever to me. FC easily tops it IMO.

First Class is a close second.

I like X2 but I could never get over the lack of Cyclops. I enjoyed First Class more.

Singer is a terrible director.

Also, during the climax of X2, all the mutants in the world were about to be killed off. Yet, we never see anything. There's no sense of danger or epicness to it.

The score in X2 was terrible as well. And Singer never really had the X-men fight as a team, or use there powers in any spectacularly cool way. It was just a waste all around.

X2 was basically X1 with a bigger budget. There was no new character revelations or anything, other than of course for Wolverine...

Singer is a terrible director.

Also, during the climax of X2, all the mutants in the world were about to be killed off. Yet, we never see anything. There's no sense of danger or epicness to it.

The score in X2 was terrible as well. And Singer never really had the X-men fight as a team, or use there powers in any spectacularly cool way. It was just a waste all around.

X2 was basically X1 with a bigger budget. There was no new character revelations or anything, other than of course for Wolverine...
somebody gonna get ahurt real bad

Both are great, but I went with X2. X2 just feels a little more X-Men-ish to me.

Singer never really had the X-men fight as a team, or use there powers in any spectacularly cool way. It was just a waste all around.

Really? Even if you do still prefer XMFC, you honestly don't think Nightcrawler's attack on the White House was cool? :wow:

X2

XFC is great but c'mon its not really about X-Men, its the origin of Professor X and Magneto. And the characters in X2 were all treated almost equally.

X2.First Class Is great.I put It better than X-Men.But X2 Is slightly better.

Oh,and for the record the midnight showing of First Class Is slightly higher than Thor.

But Thor's legs are gonna be hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"