Days of Future Past Which is better: X2 or First Class?

no X-men scene to date has yet to top wolverine and the mansion assault

I can name two others just in X2 alone that top Wolvie's mansion massacre, but I suspect you're a big Wolverine fan so I don't see the point.

I like them both in their own respect. What I liked about First Class that the previous three films seemed a little timid to approach was how gruesomly awesome a mutants powers can be.
Singer always seems to like to hold a little back in the X-Films,as if he leaves you wanting a little more.Though the powers are fantastic he brings them more down to earth. First Class took a more X3 approach to the action,only I felt did it better. This is really a toss up and I can't make a decision until I watch First Class a few more times.

My opinion may change with repeat viewings of First Class but, right now, I prefer X2. I like First Class. It’s fun, it has a great story, and it does things no other X-Men film has, but, as Deaths Head II said, it could have been more polished. That’s my biggest complaint. Also, X2 feels more like an X-Men movie to me, but I think that has more to do with First Class being an origin story, with an entirely new cast, than anything else. I have to give Vaughn credit, though. For a film filled with characters like Angel, Azazel, and Banshee, Vaughn does a hell of a job of making it interesting.

First Class. I've only seen X2 once but the experience was excruciating since I was so tired when I saw it yet didn't want to fall asleep. It felt like the movie dragged on forever.

X 2 is just very cool, even now.... esspecially Lady D... even though never actually called deathstike.....

She was without a doubt one of the BADEST female supervillains of all time.

X 2 had a trippy vibe too.... the 'ive got my eyes on you thing".... well that always got me. Nasty little man paradeing around as a girl

First class is leagues better then X 3..... such a shame Vaugn didn't get the chance to do it a few years back.

Usual Suspects and The Layer Cake are both great movies

I like SInger and Vaughn.... they make a nice team

X2 is a very overrated film. First Class was a lot better.

Definitely enjoyed First Class more than X2 ... Plus the unexpected surprise in the movie was a good touch

"**** Off"

I think it's because it was soooooo much better than X1 and X3

X2 was better than X1 and X3, yes. But, I still had a bunch of issues with it. Mainly, how they basically throw Cyclops out of the movie for 3/4's of the film, Iceman does nothing to earn being an X-Men at the end, too much Wolverine focus at many points (though Wolverine had a lot of great material in it), and I felt the movie was a bit limited given the lack of locations in the film. Everything happens in a small number of locations, and it kind of makes the world feel less full of mutants. First Class had more scope in that way.

X2 was a better polished film, but First Class is the superior film. In the end all of the X-Men movies have essentially been Wolverine and His Amazing Mutie Friends. First Class on the other hand is a much more emotional film, you genuinely feel for Magneto, Mystique, Beast, and Xavier, [blackout]and most of all, Wolverine is only there for like two seconds, allowing character development for pretty much everyone else.[/blackout]

X2 was a better polished film, but First Class is the superior film. In the end all of the X-Men movies have essentially been Wolverine and His Amazing Mutie Friends. First Class on the other hand is a much more emotional film, you genuinely feel for Magneto, Mystique, Beast, and Xavier, [blackout]and most of all, Wolverine is only there for like two seconds, allowing character development for pretty much everyone else.[/blackout]

100% agreed. X2 had better effects and such (I agree FC's CGI is not very good at all), but the story is SO MUCH better. It absorbed me into the film far more effectively.

Singer is a terrible director.

Also, during the climax of X2, all the mutants in the world were about to be killed off. Yet, we never see anything. There's no sense of danger or epicness to it.

The score in X2 was terrible as well. And Singer never really had the X-men fight as a team, or use there powers in any spectacularly cool way. It was just a waste all around.

X2 was basically X1 with a bigger budget. There was no new character revelations or anything, other than of course for Wolverine...

I'm sorry to say, but this is flat out delusional. Singer returning to the X-Men franchise has essentially saved the series from eternal mediocrity. While First Class is a better film than X2, you can tell that Singer is involved (it wouldn't have happened without Singer, who was originally supposed to direct it) and how much better of a film it is by strictly adhering to Singer's films while ignoring the others.

I seem to have tipped the scales. I love X2. I saw it four times the year it opened. But even though XFC suffered from the same "silent henchmen syndrome" as X1 & 2, I felt like it allowed its characters to breathe a little more. Xavier and Magneto in their formative years was far more interesting than Wolverine delving into his past, or half-written Jean Grey suffering from the manifestation of latent powers. There were excellent bits of X2 that always hold up well--Pyro, Bobby/Rogue, Nightcrawler. In XFC, we may still come out of the film knowing very little about the supporting characters (Banshee, Havok, etc), but I never felt the film stop in its tracks awkwardly for brief character moments. When that did happen (Angel defecting, for example), the plot pushed along.
I love both films, but I think XFC was better paced, had better action, more interesting characters. And, yeah, they weren't technically the X-Men, but the team worked together better than in any of the other films. There was some nice and rationalized inner conflict in characters that was absent since X2. Just my opinion.

As for Brian Cox vs Kevin Bacon, however...

Agree with hippie. Loved Vaughn's directing, but if by some random reason only one of them had to return for the sequel, I'd want it to be Singer.

100% agreed. X2 had better effects and such (I agree FC's CGI is not very good at all), but the story is SO MUCH better. It absorbed me into the film far more effectively.

[blackout]The biggest reason why I dislike Wolverine is because he is so much of a god damn hog, no matter what medium he appears in: comics, video games, movies, TV shows, etc. He just hogs up everything, taking away from deeper characters, when he himself just isn't that deep of a character[/blackout]

[BLACKOUT]And Wolverine's 5 seconds were more Wolverine-like than anything he did in his own spinoff movie. :up:[/BLACKOUT]

I'm sorry to say, but this is flat out delusional. Singer returning to the X-Men franchise has essentially saved the series from eternal mediocrity. While First Class is a better film than X2, you can tell that Singer is involved (it wouldn't have happened without Singer, who was originally supposed to direct it) and how much better of a film it is by strictly adhering to Singer's films while ignoring the others.

I kind of feel like Singer is doing to his own series what he did to Donner's Superman series...ignoring the films he needed to in order to tell a better story. Not that I have any issues with it. Just an observation. There's way too much discontinuity for he and the other writers and producers to have been outright ignorant to it.

X2 has always been the most overrated CBM ever to me. FC easily tops it IMO.

Yes. It has good action sequences and tight pacing, but there's something off-putting about the whole thing.

For its rushed production schedule, FC is just a better movie in all respects. Add in Michael Fassbender's incredible performance... no one in X2 could come close to him.

[blackout]The biggest reason why I dislike Wolverine is because he is so much of a god damn hog, no matter what medium he appears in: comics, video games, movies, TV shows, etc. He just hogs up everything, taking away from deeper characters, when he himself just isn't that deep of a character[/blackout]

I 100% agree. I like Wolverine, but he to me is more like Han Solo for the X-series. Great supporting character and a scene stealer, but when you maker him the Hamlet of the film, that is the wrong move. That was the biggest sin of the first 4 X-Men films, and this is why I enjoyed First Class so much. They didn't do that! They focused on the correct characters!

X2.

But they're both in the same league frankly. In time that might change and First Class will trump X-Men United for me.

I remember when I was younger being kind of irritated Wolverine was on the cover of Wizard magazine about 100 times , lol. The character is badass but it seemed excessive.

I loved X2 but FC held nothing back. Both are great but we need to see more team action like we did in FC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"