Guardians of the Galaxy Which songs should be featured in the sequel?

Bee Gees Stayin Alive is a must but also while we are talking about Guns N Roses then I would go with Paradise City and I would have a David Bowie track but which song? I would go with Golden Years

Van Halen - Running with the Devil. Main riff always felt like a theme for a space adventure, IMO.

There has to be some Motown.

Heard It Through The Grapevine — Marvin Gaye
Money - Barrett Strong
Dancing in the Street - Martha and the Vandellas
Reach Out (I’ll Be There) — The Four Tops
Let’s Get It On — Marvin Gaye

how about some Rainbow, 3 songs spring to mind:
Gates of Babylon, stargazer, and man on the silver mountain

This whole franchise needs a dose of Neil Diamond.

If I recall correctly, Gunn said that there would be 12 songs again on twitter. It looks like we now know three of them based on the trailer and Comic Con footage:

1. Sweet - "Fox On The Run"
2. Jay and the Americans - "Come A Little Closer"
3. Fleetwood Mac - "The Chain"

Stan Bush - The Touch
Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Mr Mister - Broken Wings
ELO - All Over the World
Mondo Rock - State of the Heart
Genesis - Turn It On Again
Hall & Oates - Back Together Again
America - Horse With No Name
Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Free - All Right Now
Christopher Cross - Sailing
Chris Rea - Fool If You Think It's Over

I would think we should be getting some kind of announcement of what will be included soon. When they officially announce the soundtrack.

Judging from that new spot I guess we can assume David Bowie's "Suffragette City" is on Awesome Mix Vol. 2. It's just hard to say which of these will be in the movie for sure since the first film's soundtrack and trailer had "Spirit in the Sky" but it didn't show up in the final cut.

Definitely a Bowie song should be included or at least a Prince song...definitely Prince needs to be incorporated in this film

Life of Illusion - Joe Walsh
Rock Me Gently - Andy Kim
What A Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers
Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image
Islands In The Stream - Dolly Parton
Livin' Thing - ELO
No Matter What - Badfinger
The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
Love Train - The O'Jays

LOVE some of these choices. Some good tracks that have the same late 70's rock/punk/soul vibe. Well-thought-out list!

I spent a lot of time last year trying to come up with my take on Awesome Mix, Vol. 2. Some of my choices are similar to stuff that others have included, so it's good to know that we're all kinda vibe-ing the same way. Of course, at that point I had no idea what the story was going to be, so I guess it ultimately is now just a fun exercise on what I imagined Guardians 2 would sound like based on the first.

My song criteria was to take top tracks from the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, and in keeping with the first mix - to use a few that were one-hit wonders or lesser-known artists. That being said, I did throw a few better-known artists into the list given that they probably had an easier time securing rights to the songs for this second installment. (I think that ANY artist or artist's estates would want to be on James Gunn's actual final mix - it's guaranteed $$$$, even for successful artists who don't need it but won't say no to easy money.)

This is a link to my playlist on Youtube, if you want to listen to 'em.

So, here are my choices, in order, and a little about why I picked them:

1. Draggin' the Line - Tommy James and the Shondells.

Listen to that opening riff - richly layered soul/rock bass and drums scream coolness. I can see the Milano cruising the open expanse of space, and it even has a line that says, "Hugging a tree when you get near it."

2. Everybody Plays the Fool - The Main Ingredient

Catchy, 70's motown hit that captures the essence of Peter Quill and the rest of his crew of "fools".

3. Bang a Gong (Get it On) - T. Rex

Awesome, recognizable rock track that never gets old.

4. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight

Another catchy hit, and certainly could represent Quill (or even Big Daddy Ego)?

5. All Right Now - Free

We typically don't get to hear the full version of any of these songs during the film, and this tune has a recognizable, rippin' guitar riff that would work great in a segue scene. It also has a cool instrumental section that involves drums, bass, and slowly builds back up to in-yo-face-rock.

6. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet

I love this tune and thought it would be perfect for the Vol. 2 mix, but sadly it was used for the DC Suicide Squad film. As a result, I don't think this one would be used for GOTG2 (even though it would be awesome for any kind of team fight or space battle sequence).

7. Kiss You All Over - Exile

Great soft-rock love song - this one is for Peter and... Gamora?

8. You Make Me Feel Like Dancin' - Leo Sayer

This track SCREAMS Chris Pratt to me for some reason - I see him pulling something similar to the first film's "Come and Get Your Love". It's also just a fun, upbeat funky tune.

9. Baby Come Back - Player

Another recognizable one-hit wonder track, this is a nice soft rock/soul hit that will have you singing along. C'mon... wait for it... "BABY COME BACK..."

10. Have You Seen Her - The Chi-Lites

This is maybe my most obscure pick, but the opening riff on this tune is beautiful. Chunky guitar with multi-part harmony - sweet stuff, man. I doubt this one would make a final cut, but a great motown choice and a nice down-tempo song to set up the final two tracks. (I think "Papa was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations would sub nicely for this track, too.)

11. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

This tune is slammin' - I don't care who you are. If you're gonna throw a Jack-o tune into this film, you have to make it one of his early tracks and this one is high-energy fun. Plus, we know that Peter Quill's dance-off included some MJ moves. (Apparently Michael Jackson was popular across multiple galaxies, btw - how did Quill learn those moves?)

12. Don't Go Breakin' My Heart - Elton John

A great final, upbeat and fun track to close the film out. Thematically, it works for a story about family and romance - and man it's a fun track to sing-along with. I would have a huge smile on my face if this was the tune to end the film.

guardiansofthegalaxy2-soundtrack-setlist.jpg

I spent a lot of time last year trying to come up with my take on Awesome Mix, Vol. 2. Some of my choices are similar to stuff that others have included, so it's good to know that we're all kinda vibe-ing the same way. Of course, at that point I had no idea what the story was going to be, so I guess it ultimately is now just a fun exercise on what I imagined Guardians 2 would sound like based on the first.

My song criteria was to take top tracks from the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, and in keeping with the first mix - to use a few that were one-hit wonders or lesser-known artists. That being said, I did throw a few better-known artists into the list given that they probably had an easier time securing rights to the songs for this second installment. (I think that ANY artist or artist's estates would want to be on James Gunn's actual final mix - it's guaranteed $$$$, even for successful artists who don't need it but won't say no to easy money.)

This is a link to my playlist on Youtube, if you want to listen to 'em.

So, here are my choices, in order, and a little about why I picked them:

1. Draggin' the Line - Tommy James and the Shondells.

Listen to that opening riff - richly layered soul/rock bass and drums scream coolness. I can see the Milano cruising the open expanse of space, and it even has a line that says, "Hugging a tree when you get near it."

2. Everybody Plays the Fool - The Main Ingredient

Catchy, 70's motown hit that captures the essence of Peter Quill and the rest of his crew of "fools".

3. Bang a Gong (Get it On) - T. Rex

Awesome, recognizable rock track that never gets old.

4. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight

Another catchy hit, and certainly could represent Quill (or even Big Daddy Ego)?

5. All Right Now - Free

We typically don't get to hear the full version of any of these songs during the film, and this tune has a recognizable, rippin' guitar riff that would work great in a segue scene. It also has a cool instrumental section that involves drums, bass, and slowly builds back up to in-yo-face-rock.

6. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet

I love this tune and thought it would be perfect for the Vol. 2 mix, but sadly it was used for the DC Suicide Squad film. As a result, I don't think this one would be used for GOTG2 (even though it would be awesome for any kind of team fight or space battle sequence).

7. Kiss You All Over - Exile

Great soft-rock love song - this one is for Peter and... Gamora?

8. You Make Me Feel Like Dancin' - Leo Sayer

This track SCREAMS Chris Pratt to me for some reason - I see him pulling something similar to the first film's "Come and Get Your Love". It's also just a fun, upbeat funky tune.

9. Baby Come Back - Player

Another recognizable one-hit wonder track, this is a nice soft rock/soul hit that will have you singing along. C'mon... wait for it... "BABY COME BACK..."

10. Have You Seen Her - The Chi-Lites

This is maybe my most obscure pick, but the opening riff on this tune is beautiful. Chunky guitar with multi-part harmony - sweet stuff, man. I doubt this one would make a final cut, but a great motown choice and a nice down-tempo song to set up the final two tracks. (I think "Papa was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations would sub nicely for this track, too.)

11. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

This tune is slammin' - I don't care who you are. If you're gonna throw a Jack-o tune into this film, you have to make it one of his early tracks and this one is high-energy fun. Plus, we know that Peter Quill's dance-off included some MJ moves. (Apparently Michael Jackson was popular across multiple galaxies, btw - how did Quill learn those moves?)

12. Don't Go Breakin' My Heart - Elton John

A great final, upbeat and fun track to close the film out. Thematically, it works for a story about family and romance - and man it's a fun track to sing-along with. I would have a huge smile on my face if this was the tune to end the film.

Very well done :up:

how about some Rainbow, 3 songs spring to mind:
Gates of Babylon, stargazer, and man on the silver mountain

Funnily enough, I thought of Stargazer the other day. That song deserves mass exposure although I've always preferred Gates of Babylon myself.

However, the song I'd really love for James Gunn to add for Vol.3 should be none other than...

Deep Purple - Space Truckin'

[YT]hHOrpFeXUao[/YT]

I wouldn't object to this as well.

Boston - Don't Look Back

[YT]2HuiH-0R6a0[/YT]

Last edited:
You guys HAVE to check out this final track off the GOTG Awesome Mix, Vol. 2 soundtrack. (seriously). It features a rap by "The Hoff", and sounds straight out of a Flash Gordon disco-rama.

Guardians Inferno

I'm loving the soundtrack. But when I downloaded it off iTunes, it lists every song on the album as being performed by Electric Light Orchestra. Not a major issue, but it's annoying. That's what I get for legally downloading music. :rolleyes:

Would love to see how Peter Quill responds to rap/hip hop.

I know Pratt himself is a pretty big Eminem fan.

[YT]_d2BCEI9DxA[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"