• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Who are the most brilliant minds in the Marvel universe?

Well... they have different fields of expertise. Personally my most brilliant would be Reed/Doc Doom. Just for easy reference (with my opinions.

Reed Richards - mechanical engineering, all levels of physics, Human and alien biology, chemistry. Pretty much a diverse field - totally forgot his biology expertise until I remembered a recent encounter between him and Spiderman discussing the Lizard. Still hasn't found a solution for Thing's condition. Doom and him are considered the experts on extraplanar/temporal travel.

Doctor Doom - Same as Reed but has certain fields that he probably has an edge on. Robotics (doombots over HERBIE any day...) and Sorcery (more like dabbles in magic - not Sorcerer Supreme level)

Phineas Horton - Creator of the (android) Human Torch I. "Advanced knowledge of Steel and Synthetics" (MARVELS) There was a WCAvengers issue where they explored the insides of Human Torch and found out that he built him from Vacuum Tubes and not the modern day transistor... amazing because that would make the Human Torch and Vision (identical to make as the Human Torch) the only robots that can withstand an EMP.

Tony Stark - Technological genius. Tony's strengths include skills from outside the scientist box. I think his corporate maneuvering knowledge, people and political skills give him the edge over the others as a pure power player. Also, I don't think anyone has built more machines on-the-fly than Stark has (tell me if I'm wrong - or hasn't Tony kit-bashed the most among all the heroes)

Hank Pym - chemist, biologist and roboticist. Pym probably has the edge on patents made over the rest. If Pym particles weren't enough to put him as the top genius in shrink/growth tech. I think he's also the 616's best robotics mind. Having created Ultron alone puts him in a class above the rest.

Bruce Banner - Nuclear Physics expert. I've never seen him do much in other fields.

Doc Ock - Robotics expert. But in Atomic Physics, He's as sought after as Banner in this field (he's usually a plot point somewhere if they need an expert consultation...) Madman drawback makes his intellect a waste...

Beast - Biochemistry and Genetics expert. Astonishing X-Men showed he wasn't the one that could invent a "cure" for mutation however. Cured the Legacy Virus, but not in time to save others affected by it.

Professor X - Genetics expert. I think he's the top expert in the field of psionics. He's the only one who teaches how to defend against psionic attack to non-psionics.

Dr. Moira Mctaggert - Another expert in genetic mutation.

Kitty Pryde - Computer expert. Though I've never seen it used much anytime I've read her. Can anyone cite examples? I have no gauge as to her ability.

Others off the top of my head:

Fixer
Mad Thinker
Puppet Master
Egghead
Paste Pot Pete/Trapster
Spiderman (inventing web fluid - or has this been retconned?)

What about when rhino made himself insanely smart, it was only for a brief period but at that point he was smarter than richards or doom

hippy fascist said:
What about when rhino made himself insanely smart, it was only for a brief period but at that point he was smarter than richards or doom
Heh, I remember that comic. That was great. He figured out all of the heroes secret IDs with an equation or something, IIRC. :D :up:

Possessing Super Intellects (I.Qs above measure)
Reed Richards
Nathanial Essex
High Evolutionary
Apocalypse
Thanos
MODOK
Tony Stark
Galactus
Dr Doom
Adam Warlock
Silver Surfer
Madison Jefferies
Emil Burbank

Super Genius (I.Qs between 160-200+)
Kristoff Doom
Forge (aid by powers probably)
Charles Xavier (aid by powers)
Beast
Magneto
Arnim Zola
Mad Thinker
Peter Parker
Albino
Black Panther
Trapster
Bolivar Trask
Henry Pym
Bruce Banner

Genius (I.Q.s between 140-160)
Phineas Horton I
Sasquatch
Cypher
Shadowcat
Captain America
Doctor Otto Octavius
Norman Osbourne
Donald Pierce
Stephen Lang
Guardian I

I think Bruce Banner would be higher. Like, up there with Reed, Doom, and Stark.
Johnny Blaze said:
Heh, I remember that comic. That was great. He figured out all of the heroes secret IDs with an equation or something, IIRC. :D :up:
"Flowers for Rhino" from Tangled Web. Good arc. :up:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think Bruce Banner would be higher. Like, up there with Reed, Doom, and Stark.
Maybe he should be in super genius. But his biggest achievement was making a Gamma Bomb which is certainly not up there with "building bridges to alternate dimensions".

Well, the other super-geniuses have acknowledged him as pretty much the unparalleled master of radioactive... stuff.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Well, the other super-geniuses have acknowledged him as pretty much the unparalleled master of radioactive... stuff.
Doom, Reed and Stark are all in one level above Super Genius...

The super-intellect people or whatever, then. I wasn't referring to your classifications; I always call Reed, Doom, et al. "super-geniuses."

TheCorpulent1 said:
The super-intellect people or whatever, then. I wasn't referring to your classifications; I always call Reed, Doom, et al. "super-geniuses."
Reed I would say is beyond measure. He can build time machines and travel to alternate dimesions. Bruce Banner may be a genius but he is in no way on par with those three.

Problem is, you're judging him by achievement. He built the gamma bomb and then went on the run pretty much right up until the present. That doesn't really lend itself to scientific achievement. Reed, on the other hand, has had a cushy life of privilege with the luxury to spend pretty much every waking moment in his lab. The fact remains, however, that as recently as "The Other," Reed, Hank Pym, and others have deferred to Bruce Banner as the leading expert on radiation.

ShadowBoxing said:
Genius (I.Q.s between 140-160)
Phineas Horton I
Sasquatch
Cypher
Shadowcat
Captain America
Doctor Otto Octavius
Norman Osbourne
Donald Pierce
Stephen Lang
Guardian I

If he's in there, why not Nick Fury?

TheCorpulent1 said:
Problem is, you're judging him by achievement. He built the gamma bomb and then went on the run pretty much right up until the present. That doesn't really lend itself to scientific achievement. Reed, on the other hand, has had a cushy life of privilege with the luxury to spend pretty much every waking moment in his lab. The fact remains, however, that as recently as "The Other," Reed, Hank Pym, and others have deferred to Bruce Banner as the leading expert on radiation.
Well unlike Reed, Stark and Doom he is not well beyond his peers in college. He did something and seems to have an intellect not inconsistent with the real world, certainly not something astonishingly beyond research and development scientists. I don't really care if they deferred to him or not, chock it up to poor writing or just a need to bring in another guest star, however he doesn't touch them in terms of IQ. Reed, Stark and Doom comprehend things far beyond mere science and radiation.

samurai black said:
If he's in there, why not Nick Fury?
It is not comprehensive. However Nick Fury and several others would probably make those lists (Namor, Black Bolt, Vision).

you are giving stark the privilege of thand with reed and doom, instead of Banner? dude, you are judging this because you have not read about banner himself. i mean, you have really go back to seee his brilliance. savage hulk comics are the best examples. but you cant even tell me with a straight face that stark is in a higher level. banner is known to be more than a nucleur scientist, and "comprehends more than science and radiation." whether its medicine, enviornmental, biology. banner has been associated in many scientific fields, and has aided reed in the past.
like corp said, he is on the run, and in todays world, people would rather see the hulk over banner. so i guess you considered that as well

Also, come to think of it, Donald Blake should probably be on the middle list. He was a world-renowned surgeon, and several of the early Journey Into Mystery issues featured him inventing and patenting new medical technology.

Astonishingly, Marvel doesn't even consider The Beast a genius. Despite achievements in mutagenics, electronics, psionic technology,physics and speaking a couple of dozen languages fluently he doesn't even rate ordinary genius level :confused:

The Cleric said:
you are giving stark the privilege of thand with reed and doom, instead of Banner? dude, you are judging this because you have not read about banner himself. i mean, you have really go back to seee his brilliance. savage hulk comics are the best examples. but you cant even tell me with a straight face that stark is in a higher level. banner is known to be more than a nucleur scientist, and "comprehends more than science and radiation." whether its medicine, enviornmental, biology. banner has been associated in many scientific fields, and has aided reed in the past.
like corp said, he is on the run, and in todays world, people would rather see the hulk over banner. so i guess you considered that as well

Stark was on Banner's level at 15, I think he qualifies on Reed and Doom's level. Furthermore it has been outright stated Stark is easily one of Marvel's top three smartest people.

If you want achievements, he made battle tech so advanced now he has telepathic links with it and stores the endosuit within his own body.

Silicon Surfer said:
Reed has also done leading edge research into mutation and psionic technolgy. He has designed aircraft, created weapons,and proven capable of understanding and countering Doom on the psychological level. He has shown detailed knowledge of cultures throughout the universe. Reed did indeed design a suit of armor for Ben Grimm during a time when he was depowered that Mimiced the strength and durability that he had as the Thing. None of the Iron Man armors were that strong or durable although they did have more features.

Actually, Iron Man's armors were on par with the Thing's. Being class 85-100 themselves.

And while Reed has done some work with mutation and psionic tech (though Stark seems to have pioneered that one more), the aircraft would be physics, the weapons would be physics and chemistry, though the psychology would be independent. And databanking cultures throughout the universe isn't really something you would consider top genius level, unless he were deciphering everything about them through a telescope.

shadow if you put stark on banners level, 15, (whatever tat means) than that doesnt imply that stark is above banner. stark is a smart dude. no denying that. Banner is more diverse in knowledge.

CaptainStacy said:
Very true. In fact, during Secret Wars, when the villains buried the heroes under a mountain range, Reed improved Iron Man's repulsors in a matter of minutes, making them powerful enough for the heroes to blast their way out.

Though it could easily be said he just decreased the parameters on the armor's systems to allow a stronger blast. Though it's probably not so. That and it had been a while since Stark forged a new armor. Which all of his future armors were far stronger, and far more powerful.

The Cleric said:
shadow if you put stark on banners level, 15, (whatever tat means) than that doesnt imply that stark is above banner. stark is a smart dude. no denying that. Banner is more diverse in knowledge.

He meant fifteen years of age.

And Stark is very diverse in knowledge. Everything from psychology to biology.

tony is lucky enough to be part of his own comic. Bruce isnt. I havent seen bruce in a lab since...............................
therefore, its fair to point out that it is why tony has accomplished so much, and still can.

ShadowBoxing said:
Well unlike Reed, Stark and Doom he is not well beyond his peers in college. He did something and seems to have an intellect not inconsistent with the real world, certainly not something astonishingly beyond research and development scientists. I don't really care if they deferred to him or not, chock it up to poor writing or just a need to bring in another guest star, however he doesn't touch them in terms of IQ. Reed, Stark and Doom comprehend things far beyond mere science and radiation.

You have to step back and think about what Corp said.

Banner has been given the short stick of the bunch.

Reed Richard's job is to do his science, and spends tons of his time, and ignores his wife, doing this. And he can actually solve tons of his problems with science, and so he has plenty of opportunity for development.

Stark has less time to do this stuff, since he has to run a company and such, but still has tons of time to do this sort of stuff.

Banner is stuck basically trying to keep the Hulk from killing people left and right. He's constantly in a situation where the Hulk might present itself, and MUST keep a low profile so people don't just try to detain him while he solves his problem.

So Banner could easily be in their range, but has the unfortunate Hulk condition.

Um... a couple names to add to your lists and my reasons for suggesting them:

Herman "the Shocker" Shultz: invented his gauntlets IN PRISON. not only did he make these super-tech weapons, he made them IN PRISON. I'm sorry, but I find that personally impressive, and it had to take some brains.

Eddie "The Hornet" McDonough: improved upon the original design of his Hornet constume, added weapons and all kinds of neat gear to it, all one handed. c'mon that has to count for something.

Stephan Strange: world famous Neuro Surgeon AND Sorcerer Supreme. do I really need to explain my reasoning further?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"