• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who are the most recognizable superheroes?

javi1024

DANGER ZONE!
Reaction score
Every time someone suggests a hero to have a movie, there's always someone else saying it won't succeed because no one knows who they are, so no one will want to see it. Personally I don't know why Marvel wants to make an Ant-Man movie :huh:.

So I want to know who people think are the most recognizable characters that Average Joe and Girl Next Door would know and be attracted to. Personally I think it's

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder Woman
4. Spider-Man
5. Hulk

People like Captain America, Flash, and X-Men (only now because of the movies) are close-by but they haven't made an impact in mainstream America like the people I listed.

What do you guys think?

I'd definitely move Spiderman ahead of Wonder Woman, actually. Maybe even Hulk.

Yeah...

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Hulk
5. Wonder Woman

Really though people who don't read the comics know who these characters are because these characters had a movie/television show. I agree that "people dont know about the character" is a lame excuse. Give Ant man a television series and i bet people will know his history. You got people who think they know superman because of watching smallville.

For instance lets take x-men

Everyone knew, Wolverine, Gambit, Cyclops, Storm , beast, and anyone who had a main role on the cartoon.

You ask them about Emma Frost and people will raise an eye brow.

6. Wolverine
7. Some other X-men

FF51.jpg

:thing: :thing: :thing:

Yes, they're well-known for having had very bad television and movie adaptations. Poor Fantastic Four.

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man

The Big Three, in that order.

DC:
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder Woman
4. Flash
5. Green Lantern
(Flash and GL are more well known than people think)

MARVEL:
1. Spider-Man
2. Hulk
3. Wolverine/X-Men
4. Captain America
5. Iron Man

You wouldn't say Batman was above Superman on the list? I'd think Wolverine would be above Hulk too, that guy has a huge fan base, comic book wise and movie wise and cartoon series wise.

^^NO. Superman is The most recognizable superhero in the world. The S symbol is as well-known in the world as the Christian cross. Even the indians from Africa recognize the S symbol. Superman is The Hero and a Legend.

We are talking about a 70 year-old franchise. He is America. He is the first and the best, and the reason why they are called 'superheroes.'

Here is a great article that explains why the Man of Steel is still Super:

http://www.thestar.com/entertanment/article/413980

Long live Superman.

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, and Hulk have been almost universally famous for a long time. X-Men and Fantastic Four are much better known to the general public now that they've had film adaptations than they were before. The same will now apply to Iron Man.

Some of the characters associated with Superman and Batman are very famous to the general public because of those associations, especially Supergirl, Robin, and Catwoman.

But how famous a character is to the general public isn't the most important factor in determining whether a film adaptation can be successful. What's important is that the character offer a good, clear, entertaining cinematic concept. The next step is get filmmakers with the skill and insight to properly tap into that concept in the adaptation to film, and to get a cast that will draw in moviegoers. Sometimes that means landing a major star, sometimes it means a cast that mixes prestigious character actors and newcomers, or whatever mix works best for selling each property.

Superman
Batman
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Robin
Supergirl
Iron Man
Fantastic Four
X-Men
Hulk
Aquaman
Flash