BvS Who is Miscast in this cinematic universe?

^ That is probably one of the WORST suggestions I've ever heard.

Don't quit yer day job, bub.

^ Neither am I. Jesse may not have gotten Lex 100% right but it's a huge jump to say he's anything like Carrey's Riddler or that he tried to evoke a more Joker-esque performance.

It's really not. The quick, neurotic movements, the exaggerated way they speak; both performances are annoying in similar ways. I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison, but it's certainly not a huge jump.

To drive this point further, here's a description from someone on the last page who also doesn't agree with the comparison; look at how he describes Lex.

I wanted cold, calm, and calculated.
I got spastic, hyperactive, and over-the-top.

That's also a very fitting description for the Riddler.

Last edited:
There are very clear differences between Carrey and Eisenberg in how they displayed those traits.

There are very clear differences between Carrey and Eisenberg in how they displayed those traits.

There are certainly quite a few differences, but it isn't a huge jump.

Last edited:
There are certainly quite a few differences, but it isn't a huge jump.

Yeah. I really don't see it as too drastic a jump though I would say he's closer to Carry's pre-Riddler Nygma turn if we're getting real nerdy:woot:.

I really don't see the Joker comparisons, though his performance imo is more of a Burton/Schumacer like over the top Batman villain than a more restrained Nolan type baddie.

That said, that's what the filmmakers wanted from him and he delivered. He did his job as an actor and acted to what the material called for and Snyder wanted , so I don't fault him for his portrayal in all honesty. I just personally don't like that characterization of Lex.

I just prefer the Rosenbum, Brown, and Shea cold, calculating, and more restrained versions of Lex .

^ That is probably one of the WORST suggestions I've ever heard.

Don't quit yer day job, bub.

If that's referring to me, thanks for the sarcasm. Ha.
I personally don't want to see Will Smith in anything. I think he's an awful actor. But that's why I said from a strictly money standpoint because for some crazy reason people like Will Smith.
The same with the Rock. The movies could stink but the rock tells jokes and sells tickets. Critics like a lot of jokes.
I'm of the mind DC could make the next " saving private Ryan" and still get bashed.

If their 'Saving Private Ryan' is of the same quality as their DCEU movies, then it would deserve to be bashed.

Critics like a lot of jokes.

That must be why Adam Sandler is such a critical darling.

I'm of the mind DC could make the next " saving private Ryan" and still get bashed.

That is utter nonsense. Critics don't walk into these going, "Oh this is DC? Pull out the torches & pitchforks fellas, time to rip this one a new one!"

Gal.

I don't think I can say this anywhere else on the Hype, but Gal. Like goddamn. She's just... not good. Her delivery in the WW trailers don't inspire much hope for heavy dialogue, yet that's her movie. Same with the JL teaser. Literally 2 lines and she still didn't sound like she could lead a pages-worth at most.

I don't know how she won Zack over on this one.

that was so funny it almost made me forget you think Will Smith is a bad actor.
I actually think Zack could make the next private Ryan and they would hate it.

The same with the Rock. The movies could stink but the rock tells jokes and sells tickets. Critics like a lot of jokes.

Yes, as we know, the Rock has never made a movie critics disliked.

svahsSn.png

Chz0y5Z.png

I know some people have it in their heads that critics are inherently biased against DC because movie critics supposedly hate serious or dark movies but the Rock is like the worst example you could have used.

I always thought Ed Harris would have made an excellent Lex Luthor

600full-ed-harris.jpg

I always thought Ed Harris would have made an excellent Lex Luthor

600full-ed-harris.jpg

Because he would have played Lex like an adult and not a whiny 14 year old.

Much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty disappointed with Leto's portrayal of Joker in SS. Now, comparing him to Jim Carrey is a fair comparison, like Ace Ventura. Just trying way too hard to be crazy and unpredictable. Just wildly changing his speaking volume, going from yelling to whispering, making weird little noises, having some far off look in his eyes, saying things like "uh-This... uh-HUNKA HUNKA!" Idk, maybe under a better director and with a better script, it would work, but so far I am unimpressed. And I didn't really have a problem with the grill or tattoos (except I coulda done without DAMAGED). I kinda understood the whole method acting thing, sending all that weird stuff to costars, because I justified it as him trying to create a level of discomfort between him and the other cast, but that didn't really come off onscreen at all

Gal.

I don't think I can say this anywhere else on the Hype, but Gal. Like goddamn. She's just... not good. Her delivery in the WW trailers don't inspire much hope for heavy dialogue, yet that's her movie. Same with the JL teaser. Literally 2 lines and she still didn't sound like she could lead a pages-worth at most.

I'm convinced that someone at WB got the steamy drawers over her and wanted her for the DCEU, regardless of the part. She might have worked in another role, but she's just terrible as Wondy.

Much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty disappointed with Leto's portrayal of Joker in SS. Now, comparing him to Jim Carrey is a fair comparison, like Ace Ventura. Just trying way too hard to be crazy and unpredictable. Just wildly changing his speaking volume, going from yelling to whispering, making weird little noises, having some far off look in his eyes, saying things like "uh-This... uh-HUNKA HUNKA!" Idk, maybe under a better director and with a better script, it would work, but so far I am unimpressed. And I didn't really have a problem with the grill or tattoos (except I coulda done without DAMAGED). I kinda understood the whole method acting thing, sending all that weird stuff to costars, because I justified it as him trying to create a level of discomfort between him and the other cast, but that didn't really come off onscreen at all

I disagree. It's not really a fair comparison at all...the only time he's really anything like Carrey is during the club scene at the beginning. Otherwise, I didn't get any JC vibes from him anywhere else in the film.

I disagree. It's not really a fair comparison at all...the only time he's really anything like Carrey is during the club scene at the beginning. Otherwise, I didn't get any JC vibes from him anywhere else in the film.

Yeah maybe it was just his voice and also that deleted scene of him and Harley with the trucker. I meant it was more fair to compare him to JC than Eisenberg, because Eienverg was really nothing like Jim Carrey

Jared Leto Joker do more of bad Jim Carey impression. Eisenberg Luthor just give bad campy acting performance not like any actor in particular.

Lex Luthor. I'm usually a "wait and see" person when an actor is cast. But after seeing BVS, I feel the people that were skeptical were right. Not that Eisenberg is a bad actor, he just wasn't right for the role.

For once I'd like a live action Lex that's portrayed more like he was in Superman TAS.

Here's the list of actors who are miscast in the DCEU so far;

1) Eisenberg as Lex. No need to explain this one. It was really, really embarrassing.
2) Jared Leto as Joker. This reeked of a pretentious actor thinking he could nail this by being different and weird, and ended up being a mess.
3) Henry Cavill as Superman. Superman needed a real charismatic actor, not a plank of wood. It's so sad as a Superman fan to see WB trying to minimize Superman at this point instead of him being the center of this universe. Wouldn't have happened with a better performance.
4) Amy Adams as Lois Lane. Great actress, but Lois Lane she is not. Dullest Lois ever.

Ones I'm concerned about: Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller as their respective characters.

The one casting they really nailed was Robbie as Harley, even though her dialogue was really poor. Irons has good potential as Alfred, though the Caine/Bale chemistry was top notch.

Amy Adams: Doesn't give off the feist and spirit of what I usually associate with Lois Lane.

Laurence Fishburne: I don't think he embodies or gives of a Perry White vibe. He just seems to be there as opposed to being the life of the daily planet.

Jesse Eisenberg: Horrible horrible choice for Lex, some people said he was intimidating in the role but I find that laughable as he just looks like a little punk.

Ezra Miller: Don't like what I have seen of him so far and feel like he doesn't give of a Barry vibe.

Diane Lane: To young and just seems like something is off everytime she is on screen.

Agree with you 100% on all of them except Ezra for Flash. I just haven't seen enough at this point in time to have an opinion one way or the other. But everything else u said is spot on.

Jesse's Lex is so divisive w/half the audience embracing him and the other half turned off. Everyone keeps commenting on how the character shifts from way over the top to something more calm and sinister so maybe the next version of him will be one we can get on board with...time will tell!

Fishburne is a great actor and plays the part fine, but your point about him not embodying The Daily Planet is valid. That's more of case of the writing though and not so much a knock on the actor I think, either way I agree with you on that.

Last edited:
Affleck.

I supported his casting from the moment it was announced, and the fact it was even remotely "controversial" is exactly why I ignore fandom especially when they get into hissy fits over casting without ever giving the candidate a chance at face-value. He was literally coming off Argo, my favorite film of 2012 where he not only directed and produced with such expertise but also gave a career-best performance in the lead.

So I wasn't "ready to believe," I was automatically convinced. But... I didn't buy him as a Bruce Wayne in his late 40s/early 50s whose cynical, beat down and hard-assed having spent 20-odd years secretly fighting crime in the criminal underworld of Gotham.

Adding stumble and putting grey in his hair doesn't automatically add layers to the performance I'm afraid. You have to see it in his face and he was just too baby-faced for what they were going for. Had they gone for closer to Keaton, a la a Bruce Wayne/Bats experienced and a couple of years into it, which is what I thought they were going for, sure he would have rocked it for me.

He's getting way overpraised here and even getting credit for doing things "for the first time onscreen" which isn't remotely true, like doing detective work and his body-movement.

If he's your cup of coffee, all power to you. But for me he was miscast for what they were specifically going for in this iteration of Batman.

I for one, didn't have the same problems you had with him, but I do agree the praise he gets does seem way overblown. I buy him as an older bats and was intrigued at seeing him portrayed differently on screen- so it was a fresh take, but to proclaim him as the greatest Batman of all time- I'm just not there yet. I honestly think time helps to really shape opinions and the more we see of him the better we'll be able to really judge him against the others who have played Bats.

I"m excited to see where Ben goes with the character but I wonder for people who have a problem w/the main characters how that shapes your viewing experience. Lex was my main problem character and he single handedly brought down the entire movie to me. I can't imagine someone feeling the way I felt about him for one of the main 3 (Supes, Bats, WW)- that must suck. Hopefully it's not too distracting for you and u still can enjoy the movies.

Gal.

I think she's average at best. She looks gorgeous, has that accent, a great theme song behind her, a pretty good costume. But her acting is still in the wait and see department. Out of the few movies i've seen with her, she's only been in a few short scenes each time. It's not enough for me to judge. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that she's been given a huge franchise to LEAD, with barely any experience. Her delivery is a little wooden, but i don't know if it's the english language, bad writing/directing every single time i've seen her, or what.

I usually compare him to The Mask, and Eisenberg to Carrey's Nygma with the messy hair (before he went full guitar..errr..riddler on us).

Yeah maybe it was just his voice and also that deleted scene of him and Harley with the trucker. I meant it was more fair to compare him to JC than Eisenberg, because Eienverg was really nothing like Jim Carrey
Eisenberg reminded me of Carrey a lot. But a bad impression. He was truly embarrassing every single time he showed up on screen. I wanted to groan out loud or get up for a pretend piss.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I had much of a problem with the casting per se, but I certainly DID have a lot of problems with the characterizations. Henry would, IMO, make a fine Superman with the proper script and direction and I think that's where this movie went wrong. I actually liked Ben's Batman fine, but think he can do better. I liked Gal's WW some of the time and other times not so much. I think Ezra will do fine, but didn't get enough to really decide on that one. Fishburne as Perry was fine. I think Jesse might have done well as Lex, but whoever came up with the characterization should have been fired (and that's a ditto for Supes). Amy's a fine actor, but her Lois was off IMO. Diane I could handle just fine.

I kind of liked BvS and thought it a step up from MoS (which I guess I'm just sort of down on), but, to me, it left WAY too much on the table. I thought too many of the performances were rather dull, lifeless, and lacked any sort of depth. I've seen almost all of these actors in other roles and think they are very good to excellent so I can't bring myself to blame them. I think the writers/director bear the brunt of the blame for making this movie so much less than it could have been.

I don't know if I need to blame Snyder, the screenwriters, or Cavill himself, but my patience is wearing thin with his Superman. He simply has not been very good, which is made doubly disappointing by the fact that he looks perfect for the part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"