Who is the greatest "world" sportsman of all time?

If Mike had ever "done it", in front of a Nazi crowd that hated him. I might agree. Owens = amazing. Joe Louis is also awesome for a similar reason.

Mike had German kids rocking his kicks and trying to get the NBA (Dirk Nowitzki)

**** doing it in front of a crowd, he had em rocking his sneakers!:wow:

I remember was talking about when the German Wall was still up and how when the Air Jordans blew up in the 80s, kids in the East were mobbing to get them on the other side and trying to deals with guys at US Army bases.

Mike was swaggerfic:woot:

People in China would recognise Holyfield and Lewis. I remember the dream team and enjoyed it. Who hasn't forgotten the Bowe/ Holyfield trilogy and fan man, immortalised in that Simpsons episode or Bowe binning the belt, rather than fight Lewis. Heavyweight Boxings golden age though was the early seventies with Foreman, Frazier, Ali, Norton etc. long before the eighties and nineties.

Whirlysplat no offense but you dont know anything about Sports icons.

Because while Bowe and Holyfield were slumming it for 3 fights (Which arent as big as Tyson's comeback btw or even Foreman's shock comeback title run)NBC was getting 50 million viewers Sundays watching the Knicks vs. Bulls and kids all over the globe were rocking Chicago Bulls caps and Air Jordans.

I mentioned that Basketball has always been huge in China. They may recognise Lewis and Holyfield, but MJ is getting straight up mobbed. (on a side note lol@ Chinese kids to this day messing up there basketball skills by trying to emulate the Jordan reverse layup and fadeaway. Nah Jackie Chan, only Mike can do that).

Even ya man Beckham said he switched his number to 23 when he went to Real Madrid in honor of Michael Jordan. Dude even side he got starstruck seeing Jordan in NYC at a restraunt.

Mike wins again. Now go down to Oxford Street to Niketown and pay homage to the great Jordan potrait and peep the Air Jordan history timeline on the groundfloor.

LMAO@ Holyfield. Holyfield rocks Jordan Apparel. So who's really the boss?

Whirlysplat no offense but you dont know anything about Sports icons.

Because while Bowe and Holyfield were slumming it for 3 fights (Which arent as big as Tyson's comeback btw or even Foreman's shock comeback title run)NBC was getting 50 million viewers Sundays watching the Knicks vs. Bulls and kids all over the globe were rocking Chicago Bulls caps and Air Jordans.

I mentioned that Basketball has always been huge in China. They may recognise Lewis and Holyfield, but MJ is getting straight up mobbed. (on a side note lol@ Chinese kids to this day messing up there basketball skills by trying to emulate the Jordan reverse layup and fadeaway. Nah Jackie Chan, only Mike can do that).

Even ya man Beckham said he switched his number to 23 when he went to Real Madrid in honor of Michael Jordan. Dude even side he got starstruck seeing Jordan in NYC at a restraunt.

Mike wins again. Now go down to Oxford Street to Niketown and pay homage to the great Jordan potrait and peep the Air Jordan history timeline on the groundfloor.

LMAO@ Holyfield. Holyfield rocks Jordan Apparel. So who's really the boss?

No offense but 50 million viewers... The World Cup Final is watched by a few billion more than that. I don't dispute Jordan's success. He may well be the Andy Warhol of sport, his success meausured by money and marketing. He is not though as recognisable at the specific moments as Ali and Pele. Is he still in T.V. ads now? Tiger Woods is more than ten years on from his arrival. Selling a product doesn't make you the greatest. I bet Jordan has his food cooked on a Foreman grill does that make Foreman greater than Ali? Hell no!
When Manchester United play they get far more than 50 million worldwide, far more than any basketball team. Beckham is not well liked in England.

What is this about Mardonna cheating? ****, if he did, that automatically puts him out as a "great sportsman" in my book.

And what the hell about Lennox Lewis and Holyfield? Dude, Whirly, you're crazy. Basketball is never going to outdraw soccer ratings worldwide, it's just not going to happen. My point in all of this is that Jordan, by himself, did more for the sport he played for worldwide than any of the others mentioned.

No offense but 50 million viewers... The World Cup Final is watched by a few billion more than that. I don't dispute Jordan's success. He may well be the Andy Warhol of sport, his success meausured by money and marketing. He is not though as recognisable at the specific moments as Ali and Pele. Is he still in T.V. ads now? Tiger Woods is more than ten years on from his arrival. Selling a product doesn't make you the greatest. I bet Jordan has his food cooked on a Foreman grill does that make Foreman greater than Ali? Hell no!
When Manchester United play they get far more than 50 million worldwide, far more than any basketball team. Beckham is not well liked in England.

LOL.....Cant be serious

And yes, his success measured on that level. In fact, if you measure his success in his own sport, he has exceeded Ali and Pele comparativley. Jordan had 4 MVP title, 6 Championships and 10 Scoring titles. Only Bill Russell and Robert Horry (who's a role player) have more rings.

And dont be an idiot NBC broadcasts nationally 50 Million. Their's not even 50 Million people in the UK. If you wanna talk about Worldwide then the Bulls had the largest market of China on lock (200 Million for a Basketball game. the NBA Finals in 97).

Yes he's still on TV ads now (The ads with Cuba Gooding Jr.) and his Sneaker line spun off into its own brand subsidsed by Nike. Dont get it twisted, Mike had the money and marketing come his way BECAUSE of his greatness.

People call Tiger Woods The Jordan of Golf here. If you go on ESPN, when people gauge the great runs of Federer and Woods they compare to Mike's run in the 90s.

Im sorry Whirly, your not arguing with some ignorant "Yank". I actually am fully aware of international sports and I can tell you, yes Mike is considered in the same breath as those dudes.

Get your sports knowledge my dude.

What is this about Mardonna cheating? ****, if he did, that automatically puts him out as a "great sportsman" in my book.

And what the hell about Lennox Lewis and Holyfield? Dude, Whirly, you're crazy. Basketball is never going to outdraw soccer ratings worldwide, it's just not going to happen. My point in all of this is that Jordan, by himself, did more for the sport he played for worldwide than any of the others mentioned.

Truth.

It so obvious there's dudes who dont know nothing about sports expect the ones in there own country.

LMAO@ Comparing Lewis and Holyfield. And dont no one give a **** about cheating ass Diego except cheating ass Argentinans LMAO!

Matter of fact look at the ad banner above the Hype right now. Its a Michael Jordan Hanes Ad LOL!

Jordan= Certified Swaggin.

LOL.....Cant be serious

And yes, his success measured on that level. In fact, if you measure his success in his own sport, he has exceeded Ali and Pele comparativley. Jordan had 4 MVP title, 6 Championships and 10 Scoring titles. Only Bill Russell and Robert Horry (who's a role player) have more rings.

And dont be an idiot NBC broadcasts nationally 50 Million. Their's not even 50 Million people in the UK. If you wanna talk about Worldwide then the Bulls had the largest market of China on lock (200 Million for a Basketball game. the NBA Finals in 97).

Yes he's still on TV ads now (The ads with Cuba Gooding Jr.) and his Sneaker line spun off into its own brand subsidsed by Nike. Dont get it twisted, Mike had the money and marketing come his way BECAUSE of his greatness.

People call Tiger Woods The Jordan of Golf here. If you go on ESPN, when people gauge the great runs of Federer and Woods they compare to Mike's run in the 90s.

Im sorry Whirly, your not arguing with some ignorant "Yank". I actually am fully aware of international sports and I can tell you, yes Mike is considered in the same breath as those dudes.

Get your sports knowledge my dude.

Well your opinion seems to be the minority here. You and Jerry appear to disagree with the rest of us. That's fine we all have opinons. His sport though worldwide is very much a minority and he is no Ali. You like Basketball, fair enough, I do to. I just see it for what it is.

No it seems to me the majority have Jordan in the top 3. You're the guy that has people like Tyson and the Globetrotters as more important than Jordan. You're the one who is saying he is nowhere near the level of Ali or Pele, when a lot of others have him right there along with them. Welcome to the minority.

No it seems to me the majority have Jordan in the top 3. You're the guy that has people like Tyson and the Globetrotters as more important than Jordan. You're the one who is saying he is nowhere near the level of Ali or Pele, when a lot of others have him right there along with them. Welcome to the minority.

Actually only 4 or 5 people have Jordan in there posts in a positive way, I can think of Cmill, Jerry, SuperL, and one other DBella, DBella did not have a top 3 she had a top 5 in no order. Apart from Dbella all are Americans. A number of people refute Jordans place in the top 3. The majority don't mention Jordan or do not have a top three. The main picks for number one place worldwide are; Ali and Pele, with Jordan coming third based on four or five people and I include Dbellas no order list. More people suggest other names. Often based on regionality. Maradonna who I mentioned earlier and would place above Jordan worldwide gets 3, as I would place him as least on a par with Jordan and mentioned him before the Argetinians. Gretzky gets two. Owens gets 2 etc.. So the majority don't have him in third place even although more people name him as third than any other individual. As more posters name others that is a majority against him... It is only americans who place him that high also. Which says a lot for his world status. Both Fat Tonie I argued you place him so high because of regionality. The fact only americans have mentioned him as the greatest supports this theory. He is still a great sportsman though and sold a lot of shoes.

Just explain something to me Whirly, because all your posts you just keep saying the same thing more or less no matter how I try to explain why Jordan is at least in the top 3. How the hell do you think of Tyson before Jordan as being one of the world's greatest sportsmen? You basically say my regionality and national bias kills my credibilty in ranking Jordan, but what does choosing Tyson over not only Jordan, but a lot of other more worthy athletes show you as?

Again, like I said, if I am THAT off base in saying Jordan is the top sportsmen of all time, what does that make you for mentioning Mike Tyson out of all people? Seriously I don't get that, you attack my choice because I am American and don't get soccer, but you mention Tyson? And you supposedly know more about what we are talking about than me? What kind of bull**** logic is that?

When I read the title of the thread, the first guy who came to my mind was Jordan. Sorry, fellas.

There's nothing to be sorry about. I understand there will never be a total agreement on who is number one. But to say Jordan isn't at least in the top 3 is just, well, ignorant.

There are limits to which you can use that "opinon" defense. When Mike Tyson comes to mind as one of the greatest sportsmen that ever lived before Jordan does, that's just plain wrong. That opinion is WRONG. I really would love to see an explantion of that reasoning, but I doubt I will get one.

Pele... Ali... Jordan... put two other soccer players in there to round out the top five... or one of the Olympian athletes... maybe Tiger if you like Golf or Lance if you like bike racing... can we just leave it at that and move on with this thread?

Where is there to move on with? It's basically a debate thread.

My top 5 are

1 Pele
2 Maradona
3 Ali
4 Woods
5 Ruth

There are limits to which you can use that "opinon" defense. When Mike Tyson comes to mind as one of the greatest sportsmen that ever lived before Jordan does, that's just plain wrong. That opinion is WRONG. I really would love to see an explantion of that reasoning, but I doubt I will get one.
For a short time Tyson was the most recognisable face on the planet sportwise. I have never argued he is above anyone, as a sportsman his skills were limited it turned out and he gained weaknesses and had others exploited as his career moved on. I have suggested for a short time he was the contemporary number 1 face "worldwide" in a way Jordan was not, this is due to the then world nature of boxing. I can tell you in Europe from 88 to 90 Tyson was bigger than Jordan ever was in his prime. Jordan seems only number one still to Americans. In fact bar Dbella he is only mentioned by Americans. He may well have that much of an impact in your nation.

To say it's ignorant disregards the evidence that Jordan appears only that great to Americans. It really restates my initial posts comments about minorites and regionalisation. Undoubtedly if I asked some New Zealanders they would propose Jonah Lomu equally fiercely or they might see the limitations of that choice.

Your gonna say im crazy...but...
Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan

Not at all Jordan seems a solid "American" choice. Tiger Woods I feel is probably a more "global" choice as golf is far more of a global game and of course it's your opinion. I haven't called any ones choices ignorant or crazy. I have pointed out the strong regioalisation in those that mention Jordan though.

For a short time Tyson was the most recognisable face on the planet sportwise. I have never argued he is above anyone, as a sportsman his skills were limited it turned out and he gained weaknesses and had others exploited as his career moved on. I have suggested for a short time he was the contemporary number 1 face "worldwide" in a way Jordan was not, this is due to the then world nature of boxing. I can tell you in Europe from 88 to 90 Tyson was bigger than Jordan ever was in his prime. Jordan seems only number one still to Americans. In fact bar Dbella he is only mentioned by Americans. He may well have that much of an impact in your nation.

To say it's ignorant disregards the evidence that Jordan appears only that great to Americans. It really restates my initial posts comments about minorites and regionalisation. Undoubtedly if I asked some New Zealanders they would propose Jonah Lomu equally fiercely or they might see the limitations of that choice.

So Tyson 88-90 was more recognizable worldwide than Jordan was in his PRIME? You don't seem to understand that Jordan was a lot more than just an American sports icon. He kept the NBA alive and along the way really first introduced the game on an international level, which in the process made him one of the world's most recognizable athletes, at least in the years that he played. I remember way back when there were reports of people seeing, in the heart of the Congo, little kids running around with MJ jerseys on.

I mean, the Dream Team alone should be proof enough. Even in the company of all those stars, it was still all about Jordan wherever around the world they went. There were 40 foot posters of him in Barcelona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"