Sequels Who should take over after Webb is done?

It was definitely interesting to look at, but some of those picks made me scratch my head.

Duncan Jones is amazing. However, I feel like he will probably be caught up with Warcraft for the next 10 years or so, and I doubt he would have the time to juggle that with Spider-Man at the same time.

Maybe Tommy Wiseau could direct The Amazing Spider-Man 4. He could say, "Oh hai, Marc! What a story you have there! My turn!"

theroomlaugh.jpg

Then the movie will fail and he will say, "you are tearing me apart, Spider-Man!"

Room1.jpg

Chris Miller and Phil Lord would do a bang-up job with a Spider-Man film. I can see Sony considering them, especially after the success of the studio's 21 Jump Street. I'd also be down with Vaughn, Favreau, Goddard, and Bird. Abrams would be amazing, but I don't see that happening.

Maybe Tommy Wiseau could direct The Amazing Spider-Man 4. He could say, "Oh hai, Marc! What a story you have there! My turn!"

theroomlaugh.jpg

Then the movie will fail and he will say, "you are tearing me apart, Spider-Man!"

Room1.jpg

:up:

Joss Whedon comes to mind - I'm sure that's been thrown around a lot on the forums and it might not be that much of a landmark idea, but it's certainly the most exciting for me to think about - he brought the Avengers to the big screen and it didn't suck!

After The Avengers i'm a little disapointed by Joss Whedon as a director, but if he can go back to the comic booky ways of the Sam Raimi Trilogy then i'm open for him giving his take on Spider-Man

That's ironic considering Avengers is such a perfect translation from comic to movies that Raimi's Spider-man series seems like a spoof by comparison.

I know, but i prefer Sam Raimi's style better. I found something missing in The Avengers, the characters were well handled, the action was relativelly big, but for some reason i found it a little hollow in a way, and i blame Joss Whedon's directing for it, had the same problem with Serenity.

I'm quite sure that he can improve though, that's why i said that i would be open to seeing his take on Spider-Man, as he's probably one of the few directors who would be able to go back to the 60s tone of the Character like Sam Raimi did before, i'm even more open to the idea.

I know, but i prefer Sam Raimi's style better. I found something missing in The Avengers, the characters were well handled, the action was relativelly big, but for some reason i found it a little hollow in a way, and i blame Joss Whedon's directing for it, had the same problem with Serenity.

I'm quite sure that he can improve though, that's why i said that i would be open to seeing his take on Spider-Man, as he's probably one of the few directors who would be able to go back to the 60s tone of the Character like Sam Raimi did before, i'm even more open to the idea.

It would be inconsistant. They have already started this more grounded yet comic book faithful version and there isn't a desire to return to Raimi's tone.

Brad Bird is my pick.

Fair enough! I don't think Raimi could have done better though - perhaps he reached his peak with Spiderman 2, but his later work is just very lackluster, ie Oz, The Great and the Powerful.

Agreed, Sam Raimi is one of my favorite Directors, but Oz was very disapointing

It would be inconsistant. They have already started this more grounded yet comic book faithful version and there isn't a desire to return to Raimi's tone.

Brad Bird is my pick.

What would be inconsistent? They've already started to make the next film more light hearted from what it seems. You wouldn't need to make it as cheesy as Sam Raimi did, but you can still capture the same kind of tone. Hell, The Avengers was very very light hearted compared to Iron Man

I think Phil Lord and Chris Miller would work really well with Spider-man.

I also feel that the Avengers was a little hollow. I thought the movie was really entertaining and very action packed, but I had little to no care for any of the characters.

Joss Whedon won't do Spider-Man, guys. After Avengers 3, I don't see him returning to this genre for a long while. He'll do stuff that he wants to do and are more personal to him thanks to the fame Avengers has brought him. I can say the same for several choices in this thread. Likely, the next Spidey director won't have done a comic film prior. Someone like Duncan Jones could be possible for that reason, but someone like Matthew Vaughn is unrealistic.

As for Webb's tone being more comic faithful than Raimi's, that isn't true and it isn't false. Raimi was more faithful to older Spider-Man comics, Webb is more faithful to more recent comics. It's just a matter of which version you prefer, not which has been more accurate.

I think Orci and Kurtzman will continue with some of the spin-offs (e.g. Venom), and Drew Goddard will take charge of the "ensemble" movies (e.g. Sinister Six). As for the main Spider-Man entries, that is hard. It will probably be someone new to CBMs as you guys suggested.

I think the only way to make this work is to have separate teams working on different types of movies. For instance, with the MCU, Joss Whedon focuses on the Avengers movies while other filmmakers take care of the standalone movies. With the Spider-man Cinematic Universe, they can find a director to stick around for the Spider-Man films, but other directors take care of spin-offs in between. It's the only way they can release a movie each year.

Last edited:
I'd be open to Edgar Wright.

If JJ Abrams wasn't stuck with Star Wars then I'd love to see his take on Spider-Man. Maybe if he directed Spider-Man 2099 that would be cool.

I do like the idea of the "Lego Movie" guys tackling "Spider-Man 4." Brad Bird I always felt, after "The Incredibles", would've been the perfect guy to helm a "Fantastic Four" film but alas....

Matt Reeves would be an interesting choice seeing as his name hasn't been brought up yet. Another guy I like is Rian Johnson (director of "Looper" which was his last film he made). Nicholas Refn would also be an interesting choice though I feel he would be more suited for a "Punisher" film.

Joe Cornish would be a fun choice. He directed "Attack the Block."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"