Who would be the villain

From the comics I've read, I think Deathstroke works best as a kind of vanguard for the old school. Someone that isn't looking to get any neat metahuman powers, but that wants to rack up a nice metahuman kill record. He's also got an estranged relationship with his kids that could be explored - maybe someone like Black Mask wants to exploit their metahuman powers, and Deathstroke hires himself out to one of Black Mask's rivals (like Killer Frost, say) to make some cash and get rid of the guy that's using his kids.

There's certainly more depth to mine out of the character than the goddamn Penguin whom Burton had to basically reconstruct from the ground up to make interesting.

No I'm not. I'm being honest. I'm not indirectly calling him anything either. If I wanted to be condescending I wouldn't tell him no offense was meant. Just saying.

So what if Wolfman's Titans run is considered one of the best runs? Steve Englehart's run in Batman is considered one of the best runs in Batman, but it didn't stop his return in 2005 for the Dark Detective arc being totally forgettable.

There is no bias, there is just reality.

You've proven nothing with Jason Todd. The company not the writer dictate the direction of their characters and the writers follow suit. The fact DC didn't follow through on their word about Todd doesn't prove a thing other than they didn't bother to follow through on what they said. Writers have done the same thing.

How about the recent storyline where Penguin became Mayor of Gotham, divided it up among the Arkham inmates, and has Bane working for him.

That's one more movie than Deathstroke has had, and your claim on who overshadowed him is nothing but opinion. In fact the reason WB wanted him in the movie is because he was the second biggest villain after Joker.

No, Bane is an example of a side freak in them. Penguin is a major villain in them with his own territory and an actual threat and obstacle to Batman in them.

If that were the case the likes of Mad Hatter, Scarecrow etc would have had as much exposure and prominence as he has said.

Opinion again. If there's one positive that is consistently cited about that show is their handling of The Penguin. He is one of the undisputed highlights of it.

What does Englehart have anything to do with Wolfman? Englehart wrote 8 issues in the 70's and returned for a laughably outdated sequel in 2005. Wolfman wrote the Titans from 80's to the early 90's and spent the remainder of the decade writing Slade's ongoing series. I cant even see any comparison here, Wolfman isn't returning to Deathstroke, he said his piece a long time ago. Still doesn't change the fact that Slade has had 2 lengthy and acclaimed Titans runs and is about to get an acclaimed solo run, beats Penguin by light years.

Yes I have proven my point. The company brought back Todd to replace Dick Grayson, the writers refused to go along with what the company wanted and the rest is history, small wonder why Todd spent all the years from his resurrection up to the New-52 as a terrible character who starred in terrible stories without any direction. It takes 2 hands to clap not one.

Huh? are you forgetting or just lying? in that story Bane kicked the crud out of Arkham's residents, tossed them out of Gotham, became the city's new ruler with Penguin as his lackey until the CSA was defeated and Batman returned. Oswald could have called himself President for all I care, Bane was incharge, it was a Bane story with Scarecrow leading the Arkhamites against him.

So by that logic Bane is also the second biggest villain after Joker because he followed him in TDKR. Besides why does any of this matter? Joker, Bane, Catwoman, Two-Face got reinvented in the screen in the decade or so that followed, did Penguin get that treatment? should we now prostrate before him for starring in a film 25 years ago?

No Bane alongside Joker was the main villain of Origins, he was a side freak only in City. Penguin was a side freak in both Knight and Origins and the main villain in none of them. After that his role in City cancels out Bane's role in Asylum.

So what makes you think Scarecrow hasn't had as much exposure as Cobblepot? he's as famous.

No what is constantly cited as the highlight is Robin's performance not the character or the writing, which is fine btw but Slade has that going for him as well with Manu Bennet/ Arrow and unlike Penguin Deathstroke was the main villain of season 2 and widely regarded as the best, he completed his story and bowed out fairly gracefully. Pengi on the other hand is reduced to being shipped with Nygma or avenging Fish Mooney or being bullied by the new tough guy in town just so that he can have his revenge after a dozen episodes of getting humiliated then rinse, repeat, same thing with that guy.

There's certainly more depth to mine out of the character than the goddamn Penguin whom Burton had to basically reconstruct from the ground up to make interesting.

You may have found that an improvement, but the fans didn't. They wanted the comic book Penguin;

Returns.jpg

What does Englehart have anything to do with Wolfman? Englehart wrote 8 issues in the 70's and returned for a laughably outdated sequel in 2005. Wolfman wrote the Titans from 80's to the early 90's and spent the remainder of the decade writing Slade's ongoing series. I cant even see any comparison here, Wolfman isn't returning to Deathstroke, he said his piece a long time ago. Still doesn't change the fact that Slade has had 2 lengthy and acclaimed Titans runs and is about to get an acclaimed solo run, beats Penguin by light years.

Yes I have proven my point. The company brought back Todd to replace Dick Grayson, the writers refused to go along with what the company wanted and the rest is history, small wonder why Todd spent all the years from his resurrection up to the New-52 as a terrible character who starred in terrible stories without any direction. It takes 2 hands to clap not one.

Huh? are you forgetting or just lying? in that story Bane kicked the crud out of Arkham's residents, tossed them out of Gotham, became the city's new ruler with Penguin as his lackey until the CSA was defeated and Batman returned. Oswald could have called himself President for all I care, Bane was incharge, it was a Bane story with Scarecrow leading the Arkhamites against him.

So by that logic Bane is also the second biggest villain after Joker because he followed him in TDKR. Besides why does any of this matter? Joker, Bane, Catwoman, Two-Face got reinvented in the screen in the decade or so that followed, did Penguin get that treatment? should we now prostrate before him for starring in a film 25 years ago?

No Bane alongside Joker was the main villain of Origins, he was a side freak only in City. Penguin was a side freak in both Knight and Origins and the main villain in none of them. After that his role in City cancels out Bane's role in Asylum.

So what makes you think Scarecrow hasn't had as much exposure as Cobblepot? he's as famous.

No what is constantly cited as the highlight is Robin's performance not the character or the writing, which is fine btw but Slade has that going for him as well with Manu Bennet/ Arrow and unlike Penguin Deathstroke was the main villain of season 2 and widely regarded as the best, he completed his story and bowed out fairly gracefully. Pengi on the other hand is reduced to being shipped with Nygma or avenging Fish Mooney or being bullied by the new tough guy in town just so that he can have his revenge after a dozen episodes of getting humiliated then rinse, repeat, same thing with that guy.

You brought in Wolfman into this discussion as an example of someone who is lauded for one of the best runs on a comic book title. Englehart's is one of the most lauded and celebrated runs on Batman. 8 issues or 80 issues, it was about the quality not the quantity, and its still highly revered as one of the all time greats. You are right, Englehart's return in 2005 was lame, that's why this claim that Wolfman is going to tackle Slade and is saying he will be this or that doesn't automatically guarantee it will be great just because a once glorified writer is pulled out of retirement to write a story.

You have totally made up that claim that the writers refused to go along with what DC wanted. Show me some links that state the writers refused to do that please.

I think you're the one forgetting the events of that storyline; With the heroes gone, Penguin becomes mayor of Gotham City, and divides the city up to different Arkham inmates. Scarecrow, hoping to control Gotham, goes to see Mr. Freeze, The Riddler, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy to let them know that a war with Blackgate Prison is coming and to gain their support. Through his conversations with each, Scarecrow learns that Bane may be the cause of the Blackgate uprising, and will be their leader in the impending war, hoping to use the Talons that were stored at Blackgate on ice. Bane, having escaped Peña Dura Prison in Santa Prisca, travels to Gotham hoping to control it as well, and orchestrates the release of Blackgate's prisoners during the Crime Syndicate's broadcast to the world. Bane enters Blackgate to join the prisoners there, where he comes across where the Talons are stored, hoping to make them in to his weapons. Scarecrow approaches Professor Pyg and Penguin to see if they will support him. Penguin has already planned for the impending war, by blowing up the bridges giving access to Gotham City. The attack on the city begins, with Bane's men attacking the Gotham City Police Department. Scarecrow and Man-Bat attempt to steal the frozen Talons from Blackgate while Penguin is having a meeting with Bane, though Bane arrives at Blackgate as the Man-Bats are attempting to transport the Talons to Mr. Freeze, able to keep one from leaving.The Man-Bats are able to bring the remaining Talons to Mr. Freeze, while Bane retrieves Emperor Penguin for the Penguin as part of their agreement. When he brings him to the Penguin, the Penguin tells him that the Arkham fighters are not scared of Bane, as he does not instill fear as Batman did. Realizing this, Bane constructs a batsuit for himself and sets his sights on retrieving the Talons. Bane wakes up the Talon William Cobb and takes him through Gotham where he fights members of Arkham Asylum. Bane begins recruiting Gotham citizens to his side, offering his base at Wayne Tower as a haven to the people to escape the rule of the Arkham inmates. He tells Cobb his plan to turn the city over to the Court, in exchange for use of Talons at his disposal to be powered by his Venom. Elsewhere, Scarecrow begins waking the Talons in his possession, having doused them with his fear gas and using Mad Hatter's mind-control technology in their helmets to control them. The Talons attack Bane's men, and eventually set their target on Bane. Bane, with the help of Cobb, is able to injure the Talons enough to activate their regenerative powers to remove the mind-control technology. At Arkham Asylum, Scarecrow senses he has lost the Talons and turns to his next plan, giving the other Arkhamites a small dose of Bane's Venom to temporarily transform them. The Venom-induced Arkham villains attack Bane and the Talons at Blackgate. They bring Bane back to Arkham Asylum, where Bane begins to defeat them as their Venom wears off. Penguin arrives to congratulate Bane, and offers to exchange his help for the Arkhamites. Bane takes the offer, keeping Scarecrow however, to hang between two buildings and declares that Gotham City is finally his.

Penguin was working for nobody, least of all Bane.

No, Nolan didn't choose Bane because he was the second biggest villain after the Joker. He chose him because he wanted a villain who was cerebral and who could offer Batman a real physical challenge. Unlike in the first Batman franchise, where Penguin was specifically wanted by WB because he was the second biggest and most popular villain after Joker.

Bane was a side freak in both Asylum and City. Joker even called him his puppet in Asylum, and in City Bane is a side mission who is defeated by being trapped behind an elevator gate lol.

Maybe because Scarecrow was never in the 60's TV show. Never a main villain in a Batman movie. Not a main character in the Gotham TV show. Didn't have as many episode in BTAS as Penguin. Didn't appear as a main villain in any of the animated movies, more video games including the newest Batman telltale game......do I need to go on?

Your opinion of what you think of Penguin in the Gotham TV show doesn't change the fact he is without a doubt one of the most praised and favorite elements of the show. The way they are building him up in villain status from his lowly beginnings to gain more power and influence, and becoming increasingly dangerous is just brilliant. One of the few decent things about that show's writing. I've even seen him compared to Ledger's Joker; https://www.the-newshub.com/film-an...otham-is-one-of-the-best-batman-villains-ever

And some people think Penguin is irrelevant nowadays lol.

Last edited:
The way they are building him up in villain status from his lowly beginnings to gain more power and influence, and becoming increasingly dangerous is just brilliant. One of the few decent things about that show's writing.

So which is it? Brilliant or decent? :o

So basically from a book as irrelevant as the Penguin's character has been since 1992.

giphy.gif

The info in the book is all factual and relevant.

Last edited:
You may have found that an improvement, but the fans didn't. They wanted the comic book Penguin;

Returns.jpg

You brought in Wolfman into this discussion as an example of someone who is lauded for one of the best runs on a comic book title. Englehart's is one of the most lauded and celebrated runs on Batman. 8 issues or 80 issues, it was about the quality not the quantity, and its still highly revered as one of the all time greats. You are right, Englehart's return in 2005 was lame, that's why this claim that Wolfman is going to tackle Slade and is saying he will be this or that doesn't automatically guarantee it will be great just because a once glorified writer is pulled out of retirement to write a story.

You have totally made up that claim that the writers refused to go along with what DC wanted. Show me some links that state the writers refused to do that please.

I think you're the one forgetting the events of that storyline; With the heroes gone, Penguin becomes mayor of Gotham City, and divides the city up to different Arkham inmates. Scarecrow, hoping to control Gotham, goes to see Mr. Freeze, The Riddler, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy to let them know that a war with Blackgate Prison is coming and to gain their support. Through his conversations with each, Scarecrow learns that Bane may be the cause of the Blackgate uprising, and will be their leader in the impending war, hoping to use the Talons that were stored at Blackgate on ice. Bane, having escaped Peña Dura Prison in Santa Prisca, travels to Gotham hoping to control it as well, and orchestrates the release of Blackgate's prisoners during the Crime Syndicate's broadcast to the world. Bane enters Blackgate to join the prisoners there, where he comes across where the Talons are stored, hoping to make them in to his weapons. Scarecrow approaches Professor Pyg and Penguin to see if they will support him. Penguin has already planned for the impending war, by blowing up the bridges giving access to Gotham City. The attack on the city begins, with Bane's men attacking the Gotham City Police Department. Scarecrow and Man-Bat attempt to steal the frozen Talons from Blackgate while Penguin is having a meeting with Bane, though Bane arrives at Blackgate as the Man-Bats are attempting to transport the Talons to Mr. Freeze, able to keep one from leaving.The Man-Bats are able to bring the remaining Talons to Mr. Freeze, while Bane retrieves Emperor Penguin for the Penguin as part of their agreement. When he brings him to the Penguin, the Penguin tells him that the Arkham fighters are not scared of Bane, as he does not instill fear as Batman did. Realizing this, Bane constructs a batsuit for himself and sets his sights on retrieving the Talons. Bane wakes up the Talon William Cobb and takes him through Gotham where he fights members of Arkham Asylum. Bane begins recruiting Gotham citizens to his side, offering his base at Wayne Tower as a haven to the people to escape the rule of the Arkham inmates. He tells Cobb his plan to turn the city over to the Court, in exchange for use of Talons at his disposal to be powered by his Venom. Elsewhere, Scarecrow begins waking the Talons in his possession, having doused them with his fear gas and using Mad Hatter's mind-control technology in their helmets to control them. The Talons attack Bane's men, and eventually set their target on Bane. Bane, with the help of Cobb, is able to injure the Talons enough to activate their regenerative powers to remove the mind-control technology. At Arkham Asylum, Scarecrow senses he has lost the Talons and turns to his next plan, giving the other Arkhamites a small dose of Bane's Venom to temporarily transform them. The Venom-induced Arkham villains attack Bane and the Talons at Blackgate. They bring Bane back to Arkham Asylum, where Bane begins to defeat them as their Venom wears off. Penguin arrives to congratulate Bane, and offers to exchange his help for the Arkhamites. Bane takes the offer, keeping Scarecrow however, to hang between two buildings and declares that Gotham City is finally his.

Penguin was working for nobody, least of all Bane.

No, Nolan didn't choose Bane because he was the second biggest villain after the Joker. He chose him because he wanted a villain who was cerebral and who could offer Batman a real physical challenge. Unlike in the first Batman franchise, where Penguin was specifically wanted by WB because he was the second biggest and most popular villain after Joker.

Bane was a side freak in both Asylum and City. Joker even called him his puppet in Asylum, and in City Bane is a side mission who is defeated by being trapped behind an elevator gate lol.

Maybe because Scarecrow was never in the 60's TV show. Never a main villain in a Batman movie. Not a main character in the Gotham TV show. Didn't have as many episode in BTAS as Penguin. Didn't appear as a main villain in any of the animated movies, more video games including the newest Batman telltale game......do I need to go on?

Your opinion of what you think of Penguin in the Gotham TV show doesn't change the fact he is without a doubt one of the most praised and favorite elements of the show. The way they are building him up in villain status from his lowly beginnings to gain more power and influence, and becoming increasingly dangerous is just brilliant. One of the few decent things about that show's writing. I've even seen him compared to Ledger's Joker; https://www.the-newshub.com/film-an...otham-is-one-of-the-best-batman-villains-ever

And some people think Penguin is irrelevant nowadays lol.

Except Wolfman isn't going to tackle Slade, Christopher Priest is writing the current book btw and quantity does matter The Wolfman era Titans were after all DC's biggest property till Batman was revived by Miller.

Why do you need links? the Dick Grayson/Dan Didio fiasco is well known, Jason Todd's subsequent use in Nightwing, Battle For the Cowl, Red Robin etc depicted a clear clash of the company's desires and the writers desires. DC's plans for having Jason become the dark heir/anti-Batman/ evil Nightwing were scuppered when Grayson was spared and then Morrison came along and created Damian putting the final nail in that coffin. There are plenty of ways to not toe the company line. Using Todd as a useless, whiny loser, sparing Grayson, creating Damian etc are some of them. Bottom line is that what DC told you about never happened and logic follows based on the events of the era that the writers were not on board.

So Bane ruled Gotham with Penguin providing "support", roundabout way of saying Penguin was working for Bane. Also Batman went after Bane not Oswald which brings us back to the same point, the character is stagnant. Gotham gets wrecked by an earthquake Penguin is the same, Gotham gets run over by villains Penguin is the same, Court of Owls is introduced Penguin is the same, Bane rules Gotham Penguin is the same, Catwoman becomes a major crime lord Penguin is the same. No matter what happens he's just sitting in his nightclub as usual, DC sees no value in him other than putting him in ice berg lounge.

Prove it, prove that WB wanted him because he was the second most popular villain. BTW even if you could it still wont matter, that was then it's not 1992, if popularity is the criteria then I'd wager that Slade has him beat on that as well.

Bane was as instrumental to the plot in Arkham as Penguin was in City, also are we forgetting Cobblepot being in Freeze's mercy now? just saying this because you mentioned Bane being used by the Joker. But Bane was still the main villain in Origins, Penguin wasn't in any of them.

60's tv show...is 60's tv show. Scarecrow appeared in plenty of BTAS episodes and his episodes were far more memorable, Over the Edge comes to mind (incidentally also starring Bane), Dreams in Darkness is another one more memorable than any Penguin episode.
He was one of the villains of Batman Begins a movie much more recent than a 60's show and Returns. He was a hit character in Asylum and the main villain of Knight. Crane's packing plenty of punches.

Well obviously it's my opinion but it's rooted in fact and I dare anyone to challenge my appraisal of the Penguin character in that show. In fact he's quickly becoming the Tumblr love child but if this is the criteria then Manu Bennet as Slade walks all over him, you can even make a poll between them here and see what people think and LOL Ledger, c'mon. I've seen Dawn of Justice get called the second coming of TDK, people say stupid stuff all the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cobblepot's relevance is relegated to an informant for Batman/GCPD or enabler/trafficer for the real super villains.

DC has given Slade Wilson the monkier of World's Greatest Assassin to further drive home the idea that he's the Bat's dark mirror. Think about that. Think about DC's relationship with Batman and where they're positioning Deathstroke.

It speaks for itself.

Except Wolfman isn't going to tackle Slade, Christopher Priest is writing the current book btw and quantity does matter The Wolfman era Titans were after all DC's biggest property till Batman was revived by Miller.

Then why are you talking about Wolfman if he has nothing to do with this supposed new dynamic direction DC is going to take Slade as the anti-Batman?

EDIT; I just looked this up. You seem to be over glorifying this Priest thing;

'Priest: The anti-Batman thing, I’m pretty sure that’s where Marv was coming from in the first place. Is that he’s the, here’s what Batman could become. And frankly, if I had more time with Batman – which I’m not going to get, but if I had more time with Batman, I would explore that. Deathstroke is the dark mirror version of Batman, basically. He is every bit as resourceful, every bit as ruthless, every bit as powerful as Batman. So when the two of them face off in issue 4 and 5, it’s more intellectual than it is even physical, because the two of them almost cancel each other out. They both try to out-think each other, and they both try to be three steps ahead of each other, so it’s kind of interesting, and a difficult thing to write.'

http://newsok.com/article/5512641

All he said was if he had more time with Batman, which he is not getting, he would explore the anti-Batman angle with Slade. Where did you get that they're making Slade the new anti-Batman from?

Why do you need links? the Dick Grayson/Dan Didio fiasco is well known, Jason Todd's subsequent use in Nightwing, Battle For the Cowl, Red Robin etc depicted a clear clash of the company's desires and the writers desires. DC's plans for having Jason become the dark heir/anti-Batman/ evil Nightwing were scuppered when Grayson was spared and then Morrison came along and created Damian putting the final nail in that coffin. There are plenty of ways to not toe the company line. Using Todd as a useless, whiny loser, sparing Grayson, creating Damian etc are some of them. Bottom line is that what DC told you about never happened and logic follows based on the events of the era that the writers were not on board.

Because I find it hard to believe all the writers just turned around and said no to DC bosses about the direction they wanted to take Todd. This is what you claimed, and its the crux of your belief that this direction that Slade is being promised won't fall through like Todd's did. So you obviously must have read this somewhere yes? So lets see it.

So Bane ruled Gotham with Penguin providing "support", roundabout way of saying Penguin was working for Bane. Also Batman went after Bane not Oswald which brings us back to the same point, the character is stagnant. Gotham gets wrecked by an earthquake Penguin is the same, Gotham gets run over by villains Penguin is the same, Court of Owls is introduced Penguin is the same, Bane rules Gotham Penguin is the same, Catwoman becomes a major crime lord Penguin is the same. No matter what happens he's just sitting in his nightclub as usual, DC sees no value in him other than putting him in ice berg lounge.

I don't think you read the description. Penguin ruled Gotham. Penguin was prepped for the war. Penguin blew the bridges to Gotham. Penguin had Bane as an errand boy doing task like bringing him Ogalvy.

I don't know what you mean by Penguin being the same in these events. So are most of the villains. What was the difference between Joker in Knightfall and No Man's Land for example? Not to mention Penguin was not the same in this story. He was ruling Gotham as a self titled Mayor.

Prove it, prove that WB wanted him because he was the second most popular villain. BTW even if you could it still wont matter, that was then it's not 1992, if popularity is the criteria then I'd wager that Slade has him beat on that as well.

If I could? Of course I can;

“They really wanted the Penguin,” Hamm explained in the 2005 documentary Shadows of the Bat. “Because they saw the Penguin as the number two Batman villain."

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...volution-of-the-bleakest-superhero-movie-ever

You can wager all you like. Penguin is more prominent and has more exposure even today than Slade does.

Bane was as instrumental to the plot in Arkham as Penguin was in City, also are we forgetting Cobblepot being in Freeze's mercy now? just saying this because you mentioned Bane being used by the Joker. But Bane was still the main villain in Origins, Penguin wasn't in any of them.

Bane appeared in one scene in Arkham as a puppet controlled boss fight who got knocked into the river by Batman's Batmobile and was never seen again. Penguin in City was a major crime lord who ruled one third of Arkham City, had his own base in the museum, and had a whole section dedicated to the game to defeating him and saving Mr. Freeze from him whom he had imprisoned as a grotesque trophy.

Even Two Face didn't get that high treatment as he was basically a cameo in the courthouse who Batman whups after he saves Catwoman. Bane was even worse. A side mission you defeat by trapping behind an elevator lol.

60's tv show...is 60's tv show. Scarecrow appeared in plenty of BTAS episodes and his episodes were far more memorable, Over the Edge comes to mind (incidentally also starring Bane), Dreams in Darkness is another one more memorable than any Penguin episode.
He was one of the villains of Batman Begins a movie much more recent than a 60's show and Returns. He was a hit character in Asylum and the main villain of Knight. Crane's packing plenty of punches.

What do you mean 60's show is 60's show? Its one of the biggest cultural icons of Batman mythology and the reason many of these characters became so well known to the public. Meredith's Penguin is still iconic today. Scarecrow didn't appear in half as many episodes as Penguin did. Neither did Bane. Or Two Face. Slade didn't appear at all. Penguin also appeared as a main villain in one of the animated spin off movies, too. Scarecrow was a side villain in Batman Begins working for the League of Shadows, and had minimal screen time. Penguin was a front and center main villain in Returns. Now Penguin is headlining as one of the most popular characters in the Gotham TV show.

Crane can't touch this lot.

Well obviously it's my opinion but it's rooted in fact and I dare anyone to challenge my appraisal of the Penguin character in that show. In fact he's quickly becoming the Tumblr love child but if this is the criteria then Manu Bennet as Slade walks all over him, you can even make a poll between them here and see what people think and LOL Ledger, c'mon. I've seen Dawn of Justice get called the second coming of TDK, people say stupid stuff all the time.

Yeah, people do say stupid stuff all the time :cwink:

I challenge your appraisal. A character being reduced to what you claim he is being reduced to wouldn't get the levels of praise and popularity he has. No way. No good performance could warrant levels of praise that call that kind of characterization one of the best villains on TV ever.

Last edited:
I challenge your appraisal. A character being reduced to what you claim he is being reduced to wouldn't get the levels of praise and popularity he has. No way. No good performance could warrant levels of praise that call that kind of characterization one of the best villains on TV ever.

people who claim Gotham-Penguin belongs in that category are on something

You can wager all you like. Penguin is more prominent and has more exposure even today than Slade does.

not so sure about TODAY. Slade's got his own comic series and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Penguin in a comic, but to be fair I missed the last few months of the New 52

That maggot on Gotham is nothing compared to tv's real best villain.

Danny-DeVito-Angry.gif

Indeed. I'd say it's more about the actor than the part. It cuts both ways because the same could be certainly said about Manu Bennet.

Outside of television the point still stands. Slade is a more popular and interesting character than El Penguino. Even at the conceptual level the animal Cobblepot is named after is lame and non-threatening.

Last edited:
nwjECIh.gif

WACK... WACK...

Last edited:
By and large Gotham is a pretty donkey-brained show.

But you know who doesn't have a donkey-brain? The man who elevated the Penguin into something worthwhile:
tumblr_lw65i7U9Ch1qb62p6o7_1280.jpg

If you think that then he really must be good :cwink:

not so sure about TODAY. Slade's got his own comic series and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Penguin in a comic, but to be fair I missed the last few months of the New 52

We're living in an age where the likes of My Little Pony has its own comic book series.

Even at the conceptual level the animal Cobblepot is named after is lame and non-threatening.

That's really funny coming from someone who's obviously a fan of a character named after a lantern lol.

One of the many brilliant elements of The Penguin is his appearance is deceptive. He doesn't look like a threat, when he actually is;

a5e302b7-cc5b-46d7-89c4-19693004808d_zpsfse8bnkf.jpg

Last edited:
A lantern brings light to the dark. That's helluva a lot more philosophical than a penguin.

Yeah I'm sure people get very philosophical like that when they see the word lantern in his name :funny:

Yeah I'm sure people get very philosophical like that when they see the word lantern in his name :funny:

I'm talking concept bruh, I don't care what other people fail to think about. Point still stands. Penguin is a harmless bird that can't fly.

giphy.gif

I'm talking concept bruh, I don't care what other people fail to think about. Point still stands.

ROFL! Yeah and Rocket Racer is an awesome Spider-Man villain because he's named after the concept of a huge powerful device that can launch into space;

Amazing_Spider-Man_172.png

And a rocket is way cooler than a lantern :o

Penguin is a harmless bird that can't fly.

Exactly. That's part of the danger and brilliance of Pengy. He looks harmless but he's not. The most dangerous kind of foe is the one who doesn't look it. In reality there is also a crime lord called The Penguin;

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/cri...cret-meeting-with-george-the-penguin-mitchell

http://crimenewsjournal.blogspot.ie/2014/06/dublin-drugs-baron-penguin-george.html#.V7JetDWA0xI

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"